As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pondcasts Thread [Podcats Thread]

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Jeff going off about how he kind of likes motion smoothing on TV is amazing

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Jeff going off about how he kind of likes motion smoothing on TV is amazing

Ok, NOW Jeff is an old man

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Really Bombcast, that's really the intro music you're going with? God this GOTY is gonna suck.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I think the complaints regarding Worst Year Evers recent fascination are being heard today's Shapiro Slog has a slightly defensive tone

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Really Bombcast, that's really the intro music you're going with? God this GOTY is gonna suck.

Goty always sucks

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    The intro music ruled

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I think the complaints regarding Worst Year Evers recent fascination are being heard today's Shapiro Slog has a slightly defensive tone

Im betting everyone is burnt out and the book stuff is low hanging fruit. They should just take a hiatus for a bit.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    So I've been somewhat enjoying Eathersea but I think I figured out why TAZ has not been able to recapture the lighting in the bottle. All 3 players in every campaign have been trying to manufacture hero moments and things that make their player just the most special person in the universe and interpersonal conflicts outside of what the GM has presented. The players are too proactive, which isn't something I would have guess would be a problem for this kind of thing.

Which is weird because FATT also does that but Austin seems more interested/able to break the narrative 4th wall to build the story with the players.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    The FATT cast often frames what they’re doing explicitly as though it’s being shot like a TV show, in a way that works pretty well for me. They aren’t afraid to simply say, “okay, the camera sees this and that, and here’s what the audience knows but the characters don’t.”

• Options
    Everybody in TAZ gets really worked up about shit all the time I think I'd enjoy a really sanguine character who takes everything in stride and never gets bent out of shape about anything

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Because of a music track you don't like?

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    The FATT cast often frames what they’re doing explicitly as though it’s being shot like a TV show, in a way that works pretty well for me. They aren’t afraid to simply say, “okay, the camera sees this and that, and here’s what the audience knows but the characters don’t.”

I just remembered that because they do this sort of framing, they gave us one of my favorite scenes from any actual play I’ve listened to.

Bluff City:
    A John Woo dove shot, except it’s seagulls

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular

I feel I should point out that this is likely a reference to Ryan Davis's tweet about Mark Ruffalo, that Mr. Ruffalo read aloud on the Jimmy Kimmel show.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    That was a top tier A++ tweet.

• Options
    Sprout wrote: »

I feel I should point out that this is likely a reference to Ryan Davis's tweet about Mark Ruffalo, that Mr. Ruffalo read aloud on the Jimmy Kimmel show.

Oh duh, my bad. :razz:

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    https://www.giantbomb.com/articles/super-eyepatch-wolfs-top-10-games-of-2021/1100-6196/

Super Eyepatch Wolf, who created a YouTube channel entirely to tell Woolie of Castle Superbeast/Super Best Friends Play that his opinion of the anime Hunter X Hunter was wrong (and whose channel is now roughly 10 times more popular than Woolie's, as has happened with every person SBFP inspired), will be part of a new podcast for Giant Bomb. He's also a big fan of theirs, and started his own podcast a while back. But the insane Garfield video he posted recently is probably what caught their attention.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I liked how Nextlander handled their GOTY stuff, with individual categories being narrowed down to 3 finalists, and the hosts free to nominate one as their choice rather than having to reach a consensus if they didn't want to. Also for their overall top 10, their individual number 1s got locked into the top 3 slots.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    The mad lads at Waypoint are about to start streaming King's Field IV

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Man, imagine what a new Kings Field would be like.

I'm kinda surprised no indy dev ever took a crack at that.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Man, imagine what a new Kings Field would be like.

I'm kinda surprised no indy dev ever took a crack at that.

What are you talking about, there's plenty of first-person mods for Dark Souls

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

Thinking of it as a TV show (especially as anime) helps me really shape how things happen in FatT. Like in the Divine Sequence, every time a Divine gets introduced the screen does that anime thing of just throwing the name on the screen in big stylized letters. "The Divine" and then "Belgard" unfolds like out of a chrysalis or like
    watching Peace turn into Order, or AuDy realizing their true nature as dual "The Divine" appear on top of the screen, with Liberty and Discovery intertwined below both. Axioms I imagine just saying "Axiom ____" with no The in front but similar appropriate stylization, and Chthonic having no title at all, just the name appearing like gas and dissipating.

Caught all the way up on my podcast backlog and now I'm facing two harsh realities

Tried getting into Friends at the Table but it's just not doing it for me.

And my thoughts there kinda get into why I think it's not for everybody. FatT is pretty raw story creation. There's some editing and cleanup and Jack's music added, but it's very unpolished and unfinished. It's way more like a writer's room making the TV show than the TV show in the end. It's really fun if you're into it, but if you're not (maybe even because you're just tired and can't put the extra energy into it) then it's work, and why are we listening to stuff if it's work?

Someone (I don't remember who, sorry) was saying about how everything they hear about the show sounds rad, but listening to it is a slog. And that's probably because when we're talking about it, our summaries are themselves polishing the raw product, because we're saying the results of what happened, whereas listening might be fifteen minutes of Austin and the players working out something.

So I get it. No judgment here.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Mayabird wrote: »

Thinking of it as a TV show (especially as anime) helps me really shape how things happen in FatT. Like in the Divine Sequence, every time a Divine gets introduced the screen does that anime thing of just throwing the name on the screen in big stylized letters. "The Divine" and then "Belgard" unfolds like out of a chrysalis or like
    watching Peace turn into Order, or AuDy realizing their true nature as dual "The Divine" appear on top of the screen, with Liberty and Discovery intertwined below both. Axioms I imagine just saying "Axiom ____" with no The in front but similar appropriate stylization, and Chthonic having no title at all, just the name appearing like gas and dissipating.

Caught all the way up on my podcast backlog and now I'm facing two harsh realities

Tried getting into Friends at the Table but it's just not doing it for me.

And my thoughts there kinda get into why I think it's not for everybody. FatT is pretty raw story creation. There's some editing and cleanup and Jack's music added, but it's very unpolished and unfinished. It's way more like a writer's room making the TV show than the TV show in the end. It's really fun if you're into it, but if you're not (maybe even because you're just tired and can't put the extra energy into it) then it's work, and why are we listening to stuff if it's work?

Someone (I don't remember who, sorry) was saying about how everything they hear about the show sounds rad, but listening to it is a slog. And that's probably because when we're talking about it, our summaries are themselves polishing the raw product, because we're saying the results of what happened, whereas listening might be fifteen minutes of Austin and the players working out something.

So I get it. No judgment here.

I think that's a pretty good summary of why I've bounced off the show, which I respect a lot, several times. It's a little weird, because I listened to one of their world building episodes, and I really enjoyed that process. Describing what happens as sort of "being in the writer's room making the TV show," is a pretty good descriptor, and I also think that's why the fan community for the show has latched onto it. It seems very freeing to do fanworks of a work that already exists in a state of creation, even as a finished project.

(the other half of why I've bounced off is that they wear their anime influences on their sleeves and that's a fan language I don't particularly speak, but I don't think that that's especially useful information)

• Options
    The really weird thing is the few times Austin ran games for Giant Bomb, I was captivated by every minute.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    The really weird thing is the few times Austin ran games for Giant Bomb, I was captivated by every minute.

Austin Walker knows how to modulate it for his crowd ("be a fan of the players") so he's not going to be nearly as out there for a one-shot as when he and the FatT crew are seeing how wild they can get over a campaign.

Mayabird on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Here’s a FATT question for you all:

How do you picture Rigor?

Because for the life of me, I cannot picture anything but some kind of gargantuan, Makoto Kobayashi-esque nightmare of industrial design turned robot god.

Though more bent towards the more robot end of Kobayashi’s aesthetic than like, the carcinized style he likes to employ for mecha a lot of the time.

It definitely in my mind has one of Kobayashi’s weird tower-esque heads.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

Because for the life of me, I cannot picture anything but some kind of gargantuan, Makoto Kobayashi-esque nightmare of industrial design turned robot god.

Though more bent towards the more robot end of Kobayashi’s aesthetic than like, the carcinized style he likes to employ for mecha a lot of the time.

For some reason I remember having pictured rigor being made from like, dark stone or chitin like material rather than metal really. With wide flat monolithic planes coming together at symmetrical angles with no visible seams or joints or welds.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Mildly surprised Waypoint still has a Butcher Box sponsorship.

• Options
    Speaking of food and boxes whats this meal kit delivery service that operates child hunts on an island off Indonesia that keeps getting referenced on Behind the Bastards when I google 'meal kit child hunt indonesia' nothing blips the radar

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    oh yeah, that's Butcher Box: Long Pork Edition's "suckling pig" tier, $14000 per month but absolutely succulent

You get 25% off if you purchase your subscription in the basement of Comet Ping Pong & Pizza in NW DC and show a Democratic Party membership card signed by a Clinton

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

For some reason I remember having pictured rigor being made from like, dark stone or chitin like material rather than metal really. With wide flat monolithic planes coming together at symmetrical angles with no visible seams or joints or welds.

Part of the image of Rigour, for me, has to involve a semblance of a face. Like, it is so massive, and its influence reaches so wide, but also its expression is one that instills a bone-deep feeling that you are letting it down, not giving it your full potential, your everything.

Also, somebody did a cool art!

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular

It's been a long while since I listened to Counterweight, and I think I only imagine it this way cos of the few interior descriptions we get, but I see something made up of miles of black pipes and wires, held in symmetrical, humanoid form by oily armour maybe, but a sort of machine where you can't tell if its too complicated to understand or just broken and mangled, blinking with red mismatched lights all over its frame, no face unless it shifts just so.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    This week on Revolutions, Empires fall down go boom boom

• Options
    replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    I've always imagined that Rigour looks exactly like Sidorak from bionicle

0pi7nqjdeqg2.png

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Has someone shown Austin Walker the LANCER to FitD conversion that got posted a while back? I feel like whenever they get back to mechas, the way that hack slices the difference between LANCER's very strict mech builds and the more freeform narrative turn flow of the FitD games might be right up his alley

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Has someone shown Austin Walker the LANCER to FitD conversion that got posted a while back? I feel like whenever they get back to mechas, the way that hack slices the difference between LANCER's very strict mech builds and the more freeform narrative turn flow of the FitD games might be right up his alley

The question is has someone shown ME this

Really I can’t find anything about it, got a link?

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    Atari SoulAtari Soul Registered User regular
    I recall Austin and some of the crew talking about Lancer in the lead up to Partizan when they weren’t yet sure which system they were going with. I think it was in a Tips episode. Namely, they had spoken highly of the art but they went with Beam Saber because of how much fun they had with it on one of the Road to Partizan games.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Lancer is a wargame with a separate disconnected narrative ruleset bolted onto the side, absolutely not built for an Actual Play. And if you have to modify the heck out of it to make it work for what you want, then you have to then ask why not just go with a more fitting system

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
This discussion has been closed.