As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Pokémon] Thread! Sword & Shield OUT NOW!!

1102103104105106108»

• KandenKanden Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    I'm gonna go wild shiny hunting in PLA, someone datamined the rates, highest one is 32 rolls at like a 1/128 chance. Full odds table in spoiler. These rates combined with being able to see shinies in the over world are gonna make it way easier to hunt. Almost certainly lead to a lot of new first time shiny pokemon for people, its awesome.
    y2rn84sbu06c.png

Kanden on
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Anyone know how to swap what pokemon are in your party in Arceus? I'm sure it's really obvious but I haven't figured it out yet.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Kanden wrote: »
    I'm gonna go wild shiny hunting in PLA, someone datamined the rates, highest one is 32 rolls at like a 1/128 chance. Full odds table in spoiler. These rates combined with being able to see shinies in the over world are gonna make it way easier to hunt. Almost certainly lead to a lot of new first time shiny pokemon for people, its awesome.
    y2rn84sbu06c.png

Yeah basically ypu just hit up swarms until one pops up. I wish they'd say when Home support is coming.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Anyone know how to swap what pokemon are in your party in Arceus? I'm sure it's really obvious but I haven't figured it out yet.

For anyone else who can't figure it out, there's a pasture near the town's exit, talk to the person there.

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    just started, finished the first mission.

...Is this Monster Hunter?

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular

can you pick a bunch of different weapons and are you fed by very high definition cat cutscenes?

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

For anyone else who can't figure it out, there's a pasture near the town's exit, talk to the person there.

They mention it in passing when talking about the six Pokemon limit.

And yeah..
    Reading narrations aloud a bit, but I'm still not quite through the tutorial 1.5 hours in.

What you want to do is go into town and throw your entire party at one patch of ground though.

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    oh heck, this game is good

it's vaguely like they merged the mainline series with Snap

edited January 2022
    Pretty much.
    Catching tutorial is like 'wait for the Pokemon to be in a good pose and then nail it with a Pokeball'
    (As well as all these research tasks I have only just received)

discrider on
    edited January 2022
    this game has already given me some interesting stories to relate.

stories, some starting area spawn spoilers.
    one time i was attacked by two Buizels, and then... i had to fight two Buizels at the same time and i laughed my ass off.
    none of this video gamey "only one at a time" shit, nor did i get to play doubles. incredibly immersive though!

also, uh, those random giant guys wandering the map are like ~20 levels over the regular spawns.
    i distracted one with my starter, watched it immediately STRONG STYLE and one-hit my Quilava,
    then pressed B in the "fainted pokemon" menu and just hightailed it outta there team rocket style.
    "You have chosen to fight some other time."

also found an eevee and a mime jr. in the starting area.

Lucedes on
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    How are the animations?

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

There's also a guy in the camps that let you change your team.
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    How are the animations?

I'd say pretty similar to Sword/Shield. They're definitely not gonna blow you away.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    What a huge step for gamefreak. I think they did a fantastic job considering it’s a first go and it’s less than half the size of BOTW.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    The animations are not special on large scale but MUCH improved over past games. The pokemon actually move with their attacks, they actually will come from more of the correct places and target enemies. I would not say they are the same as Sword/Shield.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

There's also a guy in the camps that let you change your team.
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    How are the animations?

I'd say pretty similar to Sword/Shield. They're definitely not gonna blow you away.

Not even Whirlwind?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    The animations are not special on large scale but MUCH improved over past games. The pokemon actually move with their attacks, they actually will come from more of the correct places and target enemies. I would not say they are the same as Sword/Shield.

I will admit it's been a while since I've actually looked at S/S. Did Pokémon not move close and then back to their spot for some attacks in that?

Even if the battle animation is somewhat improved, I still think the animation in most of the story sequences is fairly basic and stiff and with plenty of fading to black so something doesn't have to be animated at all.

It also stands out to me that the idle poses for all the human characters have their arms sort of spread out and not standing relaxed at all.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

I will admit it's been a while since I've actually looked at S/S. Did Pokémon not move close and then back to their spot for some attacks in that?

Even if the battle animation is somewhat improved, I still think the animation in most of the story sequences is fairly basic and stiff and with plenty of fading to black so something doesn't have to be animated at all.

It also stands out to me that the idle poses for all the human characters have their arms sort of spread out and not standing relaxed at all.

Oh yea world animations and character animations may not be improved as much. I was just thinking of the attack animations as that is usually the biggest offenders. Which, like I was saying, still could be much better. But the ranged attacks seeing them shoot out and impact is much better. But that kinda shows how far behind they were before even in S/Sh than anything else.

people have overhyped the graphics being bad. they're basic, they work, they're not gonna blow you away, if you want to gripe about them you can find plenty of fault.

anyway, someone who is not me should make the new pokemon thread!

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I am so ecstatically happy with Arceus.

I give it two thumbs up, but only because my inefficient human form only has two hands.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    I gotta say I’m excited to see if they continue the changes here to the mainline series, and see what they do next.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    I gotta say I’m excited to see if they continue the changes here to the mainline series, and see what they do next.

I hope they do, I seriously seriously hope they do.

Judging by early sales talk (breaking pre-order records all over the place) I'm guessing this will be the best selling Pokemon game in quite some time.

edit- Honestly I had a theory that they went with a "spin-off" in order to test the waters and see how people like the changes.

edit 2- Please Gamefreak, please! I don't wanna go back! If your next mainline game isn't an evolution of Arceus's gameplay I will not buy it. I have tasted the nectar of the Gods.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.