As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The little crystal turtle [Pokémon] is pretty cute.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Anybody know the moveset of the Alpha Snorlax? Wanna try to tank it with a drifblim

IIRC it had both ground and ice moves

So I found out an alpha will have 3 moves from level up and one random trained move so its possible it might not be able to hit a Drifblim

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Hey kids! Did you know Alphas can also be Shiny? Don’t let that fact ruin your life or marriage now, hyuck!

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I have only watched some gameplay so far, but boy this sure does seem like what Pokemon should just be going forward

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I'd basically written this off, but seeing the reactions so far is making me consider giving it another look.

Or maybe I'll wait and see if they actually do anything with this going forward. I dunno.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    edited January 2022
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I have only watched some gameplay so far, but boy this sure does seem like what Pokemon should just be going forward

It really, really is.

Arceus does lack some features that the regular games typically have. But the core gameplay? Yeah considering the response this game has gotten and the early pre-order sales breaking records left, right and center I don't think Gamefreak can go back in regards to future titles. The complaints myself and many others have are legitimate, but they are also not surprising considering how far outside the norm Arceus is for Gamefreak and they don't really detract from the fun. All in all what they've done is impressive for a company that is typically, uh, resistant to innovation.

It is so fucking good. I just wish they did this ten years ago.

edit- I'd imagine too that most of the complaints people have would be mostly solved for a future entry. Whether mainline or another Legends.

fake edit- Man I may be biased, but I kind of hope that the next Legends takes place in the wild west frontier of Unova.

Axen on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

It really, really is.

Arceus does lack some features that the regular games typically have. But the core gameplay? Yeah considering the response this game has gotten and the early pre-order sales breaking records left, right and center I don't think Gamefreak can go back in regards to future titles. The complaints myself and many others have are legitimate, but they are also not surprising considering how far outside the norm Arceus is for Gamefreak and they don't really detract from the fun. All in all what they've done is impressive for a company that is typically, uh, resistant to innovation.

edit- I'd imagine too that most of the complaints people have would be mostly solved for a future entry. Whether mainline or another Legends.

fake edit- Man I may be biased, but I kind of hope that the next Legends takes place in the wild west frontier of Unova.

I have a feeling Galar will be discretely ignored for decades to come, but I’d be down for creeping through a ruined castle, then hearing some Dark Souls boss music kick in as a very large teacup floats ominously in the distance.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Like, going back to "Walk through tall grass, screen transition into static combat screen" etc would feel like just such an incredible step back at this point

To say nothing of the smaller improvements like "Your pokemon just knows all these moves, pick which ones you want to take into combat", and "Just throw a pokeball at that pokemon over there"

I don't think they can go back from this, it all feels like the natural progression the series has been waiting to take for years

Arceus just about ticks all the boxes from my "Dream Pokemon Game" list. It is deficient in some areas with some of those being seriously so. As a whole though the game is a dream come true to me.

I'm excited for future titles now, whether mainline or Legends.

Though to take a guess at a future Legends setting I would figure either Unova or Galar. Simply because those two would be fairly aesthetically unique. Not that they can't give every region a unique visual style, but I'd say those too would be the most simple.

Alola would likely be good too. Arceus does name drop Alola and Galar.

If I can allow myself a fan fiction minute, maybe a new region that has never been explored for reasons. Modern day but still with the trappings that are making this one work.

edited January 2022
    If I can allow myself a fan fiction minute, maybe a new region that has never been explored for reasons. Modern day but still with the trappings that are making this one work.

Shit, you could pull a Lost World.

"This mysterious region was covered in a terrible storm that made it impossible to reach, but now the storm has suddenly subsided. We must send a Research Expedition to uncover all that we can, including the cause of such a powerful storm!"

Spoilers, it was a Legendary.

edit- Man they could lean hard towards Prehistoric inspired Pokemon. They could even have region specific variants, SABERTOOTH PICKACHU LET'S GOOOOOO!

Axen on
    edited January 2022

"This mysterious region was covered in a terrible storm that made it impossible to reach, but now the storm has suddenly subsided. We must send a Research Expedition to uncover all that we can, including the cause of such a powerful storm!"

edit- Man they could lean hard towards Prehistoric inspired Pokemon. They could even have region specific variants, SABERTOOTH PICKACHU LET'S GOOOOOO!

My vote on starters for the Loswo region:
    xlxcgp45d1of.png
    st5hlx152j0w.png
    ij5faghqoobl.png

Mainly so some artist can have a crack at their third forms.

Endless_Serpents on

It needs a little fine tuning but I think they intend for that to be the case

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Honestly, a pig, monkey, and alligator are pretty good options thematically for like, some unexplored jungle setting.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I have to wonder if Legends' Pokemon aggro system could be expanded to cover trainers as well in a more conventional game. Some trainers would attack you on sight like usual, but others would attempt to flee from you, forcing you to ambush them in order to get to fight them. You could include thrown items as well, like instead of throwing bait you'd use collectable items on the ground in the same way that they're used against you in previous games, forcing other trainers to get into combat range with you if they want to try to get the item.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Next game needs to be Luchadore Pokemon with no starters.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

It really, really is.

I have a feeling Galar will be discretely ignored for decades to come, but I’d be down for creeping through a ruined castle, then hearing some Dark Souls boss music kick in as a very large teacup floats ominously in the distance.

...why would it be? People like Galar and the Galar characters are massively popular.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Galar is the only region aside from Kanto where I can name every gym leader easily and I've played every Pokemon game.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Drascin wrote: »

It really, really is.

...why would it be? People like Galar and the Galar characters are massively popular.

I think people forget sometimes that the internet griping isn't indicative to the wider audience. Sword/Shield were hugely popular games and Galar was a immensely interesting region with some fantastic Gym leaders. Some of the Galarian forms of the Pokemon were just absolutely fantastic (Farfetch'd).

As a very long time Pokemon player, Sword is one of my favorite games of the franchise, and I'm sure I'm not the only one of the millions that bought the game.

Also Corviknight and Centiskorch are two of my favorite Pokemon ever that were introduced from Galar.

Oh, and Team Yell is one of the best villains of the series. They weren't really evil, they were just a bunch of goobs that were a bit too into the sport of Pokemon battling. :P

Edit: The game definitely had some weak spots and some areas that I am sure they cut corners, but I don't see any reason why they would pretend that the Galarian region wouldn't exist, or even try to brush Sword/Shield under the rug.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    edited January 2022
    Yeah you’re right honestly, I didn’t buy that one so I only know it by cultural osmosis.

Though I did peek over someone’s shoulder enough to know it has a teacup ghost and a jet dinosaur ghost, which are S Tier.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Yeah you’re right honestly, I didn’t buy that one so I only know it by cultural osmosis.

Though I did peek over someone’s shoulder enough to know it has a teacup ghost and a jet dinosaur ghost, which are S Tier.

You are 100% right about those two. The teacup ghost is just adorable and the ghost dragon has cannons in his head that shoots out smaller ghost dragons! How is he not one of the best. :D

In other news though, Best Buy let me down and Arceus won't show up to my house until Tuesday. I'm super sad as I planned on playing that all weekend with my kids. I'm a sad Pancham. :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • KandenKanden Registered User regular
    And that's credits rolled. Right at 35 hours, 206 Pokedex, 4 shinies including the spoiler one (Zubat, Machop, Turtwig, Redacted). I really loved it, can't wait to see what the post game brings.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    I have to wonder if Legends' Pokemon aggro system could be expanded to cover trainers as well in a more conventional game. Some trainers would attack you on sight like usual, but others would attempt to flee from you, forcing you to ambush them in order to get to fight them. You could include thrown items as well, like instead of throwing bait you'd use collectable items on the ground in the same way that they're used against you in previous games, forcing other trainers to get into combat range with you if they want to try to get the item.

or consent can be a thing and you could tell someone to fuck off?

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular

My vote on starters for the Loswo region:
    xlxcgp45d1of.png
    st5hlx152j0w.png
    ij5faghqoobl.png

Mainly so some artist can have a crack at their third forms.

Love me some Totodile. A fancier Feraligatr would be cool

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Kanden wrote: »
    And that's credits rolled. Right at 35 hours, 206 Pokedex, 4 shinies including the spoiler one (Zubat, Machop, Turtwig, Redacted). I really loved it, can't wait to see what the post game brings.

Funny to see you put effort into hiding a spoiler, then I went to Kotaku and got the spoiler thrown in my face on the front page :P

Thanks for being better than Kotaku

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Kanden wrote: »

Shiny Redacted?!

wab2xgsu9yo3.png

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i'm at star rank 7 and i just opened the third area...

i should probably do the story at some point, but the exploration is just so good.

Lucedes wrote: »

i should probably do the story at some point, but the exploration is just so good.

You can get to 7 before the first boss if you grind enough

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Very VERY late game question(not that I am there) but just because it helps decide what I do throughout the game.
    Does Arceus require the pokedex COMPLETED? Like get the completed entry for each poke? Or just need to catch each one for that?

• RamiRami Registered User regular

Im exactly the same, must have put 10 hours each into the first two areas.

I've caught wild shiny graveler and psyduck too, which is almost as many wild shinies as all previous games combined

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying the hell out of this but I'm only in the second area.

I dunno how the end game stuff is but I am hoping there's some good options. Apparently no multiplayer battling at the moment? I'd really love to see them expand this game to add that kinda stuff and I sure hope regular pokemon games are more like this going forward.

Shit, if they wanna just remake red and blue but with this perspective and gameplay I'll buy that again, I'm a sucker, I'll do it.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Yall are doing the "unique ponyta" quest, right

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Omg wait... you can max all the effort levels on your pokes?

That makes sense but my brain was stuck on the old system so I was just picking 2 stats for each of my pokes...

My defense stats could be so much higher right now and I didn't even know!

Ditching the IV and EV system of old is another area where I'm like great, this is a step forward, now let's never go back

Polaritie wrote: »
    Honestly, a pig, monkey, and alligator are pretty good options thematically for like, some unexplored jungle setting.

Y'know I was thinking more on this idea because I love it and hate myself. I figured if they really wanted to stick to Legends taking place in the past of already existing Region and wanted to lean in to a Lost World vibe they could use Hoenn Region. It is subtropical, has rainforests, deserts, ominous volcano.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Here's a pro-tip: Having Zisu teach a move to a Pokemon won't add it to their current movelist even if they currently know less than four moves, you'll have to equip it to them in the menu

Learned that the hard way

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    I played this a bunch this weekend. This game is legit awesome. Honestly am enjoying it WAY more than I thought I would. It may sound weird, but I get a Sun & Moon feeling from it, sort of like in the sense that they ignored all the stale Pokemon tropes and just said "Hey what would be fun even if it isn't part of the standard formula? Let's do that." It's more a pokemon game centered on exploring and immersing yourself more in the world and that just feels perfect for me.

Another side note, as someone who hated the shit out of the wild area in Sword & Shield - this is how you do that thing right. No "Oh, I was seen by a level 100 pokemon and now I have to try and run from this battle" or ditto for lowbie pokemon you don't want to engage with. There are aggressive pokemon and super high level pokemon, but YOU choose when to battle. You aren't jerked in and out of turn based battles while you're just trying to get around the area. Also there is no bullshit "You aren't allowed to catch this pokemon because he's 1 level higher than some arbitrary limit we decided because you don't have all the badges yet." If you think you can take that Pokemon 20 levels above you, you can go for it and not get punished for challenging yourself. Seriously that pissed me off SO MUCH in Sword and Shield. All the cool stuff like stealth and using berries to lure pokemon or pelt them with acorns, etc is really fun. Basically, I want all the pokemon games to be like this.

Anyways, yes, I like this game :3

P.S. - thank Christ they explained the stupid phone thing. That was bothering me so much but I am cool with this explanation.

Also I feel like this game retcons the shit out of so much stuff and just makes up its own lore weirdly. Pokemon can shrink to fit in Pokeballs innately? Since when was that a thing? I'm pretty sure it was explained that the pokeball did that in some way.

Edit:
    i'm at star rank 7 and i just opened the third second area...

^ me :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I don’t know if ranking matters besides just drop feeding you better crafts but I definitely did way more exploring than I felt like I wanted to just to come back to the prof and have him tell me I’m short. And that was just for the initial rank intro quest. All this to say I just hope it balances exploring and questing more naturally to how I am playing it moving forward

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Ranking matters like badges matter.
    If your Pokemon out-level your ranks, then bad stuff happens.
    I guess you also can't use alphas/out-leveled would pokes even if you manage to catch them.

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    the last boss I fought took a single hit from my weakest Pokémon and fainted, so… maybe I’ll make a new party to do the story, idk. Or just wreck everyone with my new lv55 alpha steelix, that’s also good.

• KandenKanden Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Holy cow, the last story boss is incredible. Definitely in the top tier of battles for the whole franchise, and honestly, probably my #1 period. Fires on so many cylinders, legitimately difficult, cool music, good story beats, and an icing of nostalgia on top. Just so so good

Kanden on