As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy]: My Way!

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Oh come on, who reads the guide on how these things work?

They read the guide, and used some GFs, but never reported the memory loss, for some reason.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Oh come on, who reads the guide on how these things work?

They read the guide, and used some GFs, but never reported the memory loss, for some reason.

They should have actually mentioned that:
    "Wait, GFs cause memory loss? They really should warn people about that during training."
    "They do. Look, it's there in lesson 1."
    "Well I don't remember that."
    "..."
    "Anyway, if GFs cause memory loss, they really should warn people about that during training."

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Boy, random encounters in BNW(https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2095/) are on some BS. Random encounters using lots more death counters, buffs/debuffs, more HP, it's like I'm playing an SMT game now.

I imagine it'll get less frustrating once I have characters who actually know magic.
    (Though there's some neat new relics so far too, like one that doubles MP amounts.)

Enemy counters are no joke.

Having the very first overworld encounters counter Steal with a party wide 200 hp attack was maybe a little heavy handed, but it teaches you this mod doesn't fuck around.

It does get easier if you pay attention to what's happening. I ran into one segment where I thought the difficulty spiked, it just turned out that the enemies were countering regular attacks (or maybe it was Blitzes?). When I stopped provoking counters it got reasonable.

Also, a word of warning:
    Don't take your B-listers into the magitek factory escape sequence, it's easy to get softlocked. I took Cyan, Locke, and Gau and had to game genie myself about 30 levels to kill the boss.

I guess technically that applies to the unmodded game, too.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Boy, random encounters in BNW(https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2095/) are on some BS. Random encounters using lots more death counters, buffs/debuffs, more HP, it's like I'm playing an SMT game now.

I imagine it'll get less frustrating once I have characters who actually know magic.
    (Though there's some neat new relics so far too, like one that doubles MP amounts.)

Having the very first overworld encounters counter Steal with a party wide 200 hp attack was maybe a little heavy handed, but it teaches you this mod doesn't fuck around.

It does get easier if you pay attention to what's happening. I ran into one segment where I thought the difficulty spiked, it just turned out that the enemies were countering regular attacks (or maybe it was Blitzes?). When I stopped provoking counters it got reasonable.

I'm at the Sabin/Shadow part of the branch. Locke and Celes was tough, but at least she had healing magic.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    started FF8.

not 10 minutes in and i see this:
    2z3yr8a8ug2w.png

It's wild how i can't say i remembered that particular thing despite having started the game so many times (but never beaten it).

FFVIII actually has a whole codex in the tutorial section of the menu that updates as you progress the story and has lots of background info, world-building and foreshadowing.

It took me YEARS to realize it was even there

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    !!! We now know all the jobs in SOP!

Spoilers below!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxKVHnQxOj4

8 basic, 10 tier 2, 9 tier 3

Descriptions of the third tier classes:

Dark Knight: Able to spend HP to deal high damage, the highest amount of damage in the game. Its' core skill is 'Darkness', increasing damage and speed by draining HP and MP over time. Dark Knight's base damage also increases as you lose HP.

Breaker: Aims for one-shot kills via unique traits, though the MP cost is high. Its' core skill is 'Zantetsuken', which summons the noted sword and consumes a high amount of MP to attempt a one-hit-kill slash. If successful, it forces a Soul Burst and recovers MP.

Liberator: Grants buffs to their allies while protecting them with their high vitality. Its' core skill is 'Mighty Guard', which creates a field around the Liberator that grants Regen, Protect, and Shell to yourself and allies in the field. While it's active, the Liberator's HP cannot be reduced below 1.

Void Knight: Absorbs enemy spells to restore HP or to increase the power of their core skill, 'Runic'. If used as an attack, Runic unleashes a sword beam that deals damage based on the absorbed magic.

Paladin: Recovers HP with unique attacks, with damage increasing with higher HP amounts. Its' core skill is 'Holy Fang', which recovers HP with every attack dealt. If the Paladin is at maximum HP while Holy Fang is active, the holy element will be embedded into their attacks.

Tyrant: Embeds magic into weaponry to deal physical elemental damage. Its' core skill is 'Enchantment', which enchants their current weapon with an element of their choice.

Sage: Wields both Black and White Magic, building up to casting Ultima. Its' core skill is 'Sealed Magic', which lets you switch between Black and White Magic. After casting a spell of a magic type, the Sage gains an emblem for that magic type. The more emblems gained, the less time it will take to cast spells of that type. Emblems are consumed by switching between magic types and casting Ultima.

Ninja: Uses "Ninja Tools" to use skills without spending MP. Its' core skill is 'Ninjutsu', which spends a Ninja Tool to deal elemental damage, grant a hit of invincible super armour, or other abilities.

Assassin: Increases critical chance and hides from enemies with unique skills. Its core skill is 'Assassinate', marking a target from behind. Many targets can be marked, and all can be damaged at once with critical hits using a charged Assassinate.

Legit am interested in at least 4 or 5 of these. Picking classes is going to be so hard!

• Options

Spoilers below!

Dark Knight: Able to spend HP to deal high damage, the highest amount of damage in the game. Its' core skill is 'Darkness', increasing damage and speed by draining HP and MP over time. Dark Knight's base damage also increases as you lose HP.

Breaker: Aims for one-shot kills via unique traits, though the MP cost is high. Its' core skill is 'Zantetsuken', which summons the noted sword and consumes a high amount of MP to attempt a one-hit-kill slash. If successful, it forces a Soul Burst and recovers MP.

Liberator: Grants buffs to their allies while protecting them with their high vitality. Its' core skill is 'Mighty Guard', which creates a field around the Liberator that grants Regen, Protect, and Shell to yourself and allies in the field. While it's active, the Liberator's HP cannot be reduced below 1.

Void Knight: Absorbs enemy spells to restore HP or to increase the power of their core skill, 'Runic'. If used as an attack, Runic unleashes a sword beam that deals damage based on the absorbed magic.

Paladin: Recovers HP with unique attacks, with damage increasing with higher HP amounts. Its' core skill is 'Holy Fang', which recovers HP with every attack dealt. If the Paladin is at maximum HP while Holy Fang is active, the holy element will be embedded into their attacks.

Tyrant: Embeds magic into weaponry to deal physical elemental damage. Its' core skill is 'Enchantment', which enchants their current weapon with an element of their choice.

Sage: Wields both Black and White Magic, building up to casting Ultima. Its' core skill is 'Sealed Magic', which lets you switch between Black and White Magic. After casting a spell of a magic type, the Sage gains an emblem for that magic type. The more emblems gained, the less time it will take to cast spells of that type. Emblems are consumed by switching between magic types and casting Ultima.

Ninja: Uses "Ninja Tools" to use skills without spending MP. Its' core skill is 'Ninjutsu', which spends a Ninja Tool to deal elemental damage, grant a hit of invincible super armour, or other abilities.

Assassin: Increases critical chance and hides from enemies with unique skills. Its core skill is 'Assassinate', marking a target from behind. Many targets can be marked, and all can be damaged at once with critical hits using a charged Assassinate.

Legit am interested in at least 4 or 5 of these. Picking classes is going to be so hard!
    Breaker appears to be a variation on Samurai. Zantetsuken is of course named for Odin's attack. But the skill itself is reminiscent of Iainuki; a similar one-hit-kill slash move from Samurai in FFV. Or Cyan's level 8 Bushido attack in FFVI.

Void Knight seems to be Celes from FFVI turned into a whole job.

Tyrant sounds like an edgy version of Mystic Knight.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Can feel a lot of FFXIV job aesthetic in that video. I dig it.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »

Also, a word of warning:
    Don't take your B-listers into the magitek factory escape sequence, it's easy to get softlocked. I took Cyan, Locke, and Gau and had to game genie myself about 30 levels to kill the boss.

I guess technically that applies to the unmodded game, too.

It seems like the hacks for FF6 like to put in counters a lot for difficulty because otherwise it is really easy to just setup an absolute blast of attacks and only have to react to one or two things.

Speaking of BNW FF6, not sure if anyone is aware of the FF6 T-Edition Hack / Mod . Its somewhat old, but since it was made entirely by someone in Japan it had no english release. Some people made LUA code for emulators to overlay english onto it, but late last year someone finished an actual English mod to the full hack itself in game. Which is huge, because this thing fucking more than doubles the game content.

It not only adds a ton of new shit to do (mostly in WoR) but fleshes out the current game as well. It doesn't aim for completely overhauling gameplay structure like BNW, but still changes and fixes enough about combat to make it feel completely different. It is amazing how strong the battle engine in FF6 could have been without massive bugs and horrible balancing issues.

The content essentially is a fanfic, but most of it does fit. A lot of it also is directly based on other FF games or Square games around the time. But one thing I need to give it credit for is it does seem to flow well enough difficulty wise if you play through it as intended. Unfortunately as intended does start to get grindy as hell. You have the option to either fight every random battle in the tons of dungeons you will traverse in WoR, or use the mog charm to skip them and have to spend a ton of time grinding later since you will be behind. Fights are challenging enough on their own, being underlevered will make it near impossible.

I definitely recommend checking that one out but it will eat up a lot of time, its likely over 100 hours of gameplay and a lot of that might be just tons and tons of random battles.

• Options
    Oh yeah, I heard of that a while back. Cool to see there's an English version.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    It is amazing how strong the battle engine in FF6 could have been without massive bugs and horrible balancing issues.

The bugs and balancing issues are the charm.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular

Spoilers below!

Breaker appears to be a variation on Samurai. Zantetsuken is of course named for Odin's attack. But the skill itself is reminiscent of Iainuki; a similar one-hit-kill slash move from Samurai in FFV. Or Cyan's level 8 Bushido attack in FFVI.

The “Breaker” name is presumably due to Tactics-Samurai having to break Katana to cast each sword ability. A very good “etymology”.

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    FF7PC Modders continue to be great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZk73ePexSw

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I’ve been taking about it in D&D chat but I’m 20+ hours into FF XII and the voice acting is really good. Not passable, but evocative with immediately distinctive characters and pretty much never cheesy.

I’ve had no reason to switch to Japanese audio.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    my only complaint about 12's voice acting is Vaan's voice always sounded just slightly off to me, like it was more echoy than the rest of the cast, like he recorded in a different recording space or something.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    metaghost wrote: »

Spoilers below!

The “Breaker” name is presumably due to Tactics-Samurai having to break Katana to cast each sword ability. A very good “etymology”.

It's most likely just from the old Foe Breaker job name. And not necessarily a Katana job. They can all uses multiple weapon types and at the third tier not direct advancements of any of the other jobs.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    my only complaint about 12's voice acting is Vaan's voice always sounded just slightly off to me, like it was more echoy than the rest of the cast, like he recorded in a different recording space or something.

Vaan's voiceacting always sounded like it was saved at a lower bit rate or something to me.

I have similar complaints about the voice acting audio quality for xenosaga episode 2, where they had all the same actors and everything just sounded worse somehow.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I never played FF8 as a kid, was gonna dive into it tonight. I made it to this screen:

r675daudo0d4.jpg

and then I was like... Uhh, maybe I'll just watch a playthrough instead.

It's not that I doubt that it all makes sense if you are patient and try to learn its systems... I just don't want to.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    You can just do Auto-junction if you want to, but I like making numbers go up :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    For my recent play through I put on invincibility and just played through for the settings and nostalgia, couldn’t be arsed to mess about with the actual systems, much more fun to just cruise through and see the sights

Prohass on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Prohass wrote: »
    For my recent play through I put on invincibility and just played through for the settings and nostalgia, couldn’t be arsed to mess about with the actual systems, much more fun to just cruise through and see the sights

That's how I play all classic FF games. I'm not there for the combat, I'm there for everything else. FF12 and on is probably where I start actually enjoying the combat a bit and want to engage with it.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I played the games a bunch of times already, I just want to soak in it now

• Options
    The fun of it for me is in breaking the system.
    Use early junctions and refines to make 300 Curagas before you get on the first train, then slap them on Squall's HP-J so he's got the same HP as everyone else while also being in 'critical' so you can spam limit breaks.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Oh God. Will they just let go of the four fiends? It is as bad as using crystals for everything.
    They just keep doing the same thing over and over. They ran the four fiends into the ground in FF9.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    I never played FF8 as a kid, was gonna dive into it tonight. I made it to this screen:

r675daudo0d4.jpg

and then I was like... Uhh, maybe I'll just watch a playthrough instead.

It's not that I doubt that it all makes sense if you are patient and try to learn its systems... I just don't want to.

the "worst" part is that a good way to play is to spend time just drawing spells until you have 100 or everything. then you just need to top off occasionally.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    oh I got to Dollet Island... Honestly, i think Zell is a lot more endearing than I did when I first played it.

Also.... Wow, the graphics and animation work aged really well. Also wow, I forgot Seifer was a school cop, what a tool.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I haven't played in a while, but iirc it's easier to grind the card game and refine magic from cards than it is to manually draw magic during combat.

• Options
    I haven't played in a while, but iirc it's easier to grind the card game and refine magic from cards than it is to manually draw magic during combat.

i am at the very beginning of the game so that's not really an option yet.

• Options
    Is the remastered FF8 OK? I kind of like the original graphics.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It's mostly good.
    It's a port of the PC version though, so you're losing a few of the things you take for granted on the PS1 version. Proper analog movement, for a start. Remastered just maps the analog stick to an 8-direction input. And no vibration feedback, either (I know it didn't use it much, but it just felt like there was something missing when pulling the trigger on Squall's attack).

And there were a few points where the original midi PC soundtrack would play instead of the PS one, but I think they patched that after I'd finished it (afaik, it was a literal find and replace code to get it to play the new music, and reloading in a few points skipped the code).

If you want to play casually, the helper options to turn on no-encounters and so on, are really good.

klemming on
  • Options
    I wonder if Duckstation has vibration. I haven't been getting any playing FF9. I may need to check that out.

• Options
    Oh God. Will they just let go of the four fiends? It is as bad as using crystals for everything.
    They just keep doing the same thing over and over. They ran the four fiends into the ground in FF9.

What's this in reference to? I ask because there weren't any posts nearby this one that seem to have prompted it. Are you talking about Stranger of Paradise and its recent trailer? Because if so, SOP is spinoff/retelling of FFI. The Four Fiends are the major antagonist group in that story, so they would be there as a matter of course.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    It's mostly good.
    It's a port of the PC version though, so you're losing a few of the things you take for granted on the PS1 version. Proper analog movement, for a start. Remastered just maps the analog stick to an 8-direction input. And no vibration feedback, either (I know it didn't use it much, but it just felt like there was something missing when pulling the trigger on Squall's attack).

And there were a few points where the original midi PC soundtrack would play instead of the PS one, but I think they patched that after I'd finished it (afaik, it was a literal find and replace code to get it to play the new music, and reloading in a few points skipped the code).

If you want to play casually, the helper options to turn on no-encounters and so on, are really good.

There's a no encounter option? Fuck diablos then right?

Also as for the comment about moping out of the junction system... It's just like the materia system. The weapon and armor slots are just stats instead.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    It's mostly good.

I actually have only ever played PC versions of FF8, so I never got an analog stick :D

But yeah, the graphics of the remastered version are basically "how you remember the FF8 graphics to be instead of how they actually are" :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Yeah. I will probably play FF8 in an emulator. I double the internal resolution so it is not real jaggy. There is also geometry correction in Duckstation. I may try that.
    I was noticing seams in the sky in FF9 when I was playing on a larger monitor. I will see if that option fixes that.

• Options
    Yeah. I will probably play FF8 in an emulator. I double the internal resolution so it is not real jaggy. There is also geometry correction in Duckstation. I may try that.
    I was noticing seams in the sky in FF9 when I was playing on a larger monitor. I will see if that option fixes that.

I’d do that but I’ve yet to buy a pc disc drive.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Unless your emulator has AI texture upscaling somehow built in doubling the resolution isn't gonna do much for all the prerendered backgrounds
    Then again I don't recall if the remaster improved the resolution of those either

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Get the PC version because it accepts mods

• Options
    Unless your emulator has AI texture upscaling somehow built in doubling the resolution isn't gonna do much for all the prerendered backgrounds
    Then again I don't recall if the remaster improved the resolution of those either

Yeah. It is in all it's pixilated glory.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    All that matters is that Squall is still the best looking guy here.

This discussion has been closed.