As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends]: Breakout is here! 5 years of ApeLegs!

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    I keep trying to get back into Apex to finish up the battle pass before the end of the season, but my connection and game optimization issues are always just fucking appalling. Constantly and repeatedly getting freezing, getting booted from the server, terrible stuttering, and none of it is from my shitty graphics card either. It's worse than it's ever been and it's always been fucking awful. How the hell is it so bad now?

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    What servers are you on? I’m usually connected to Iowa and it’s been pretty stable.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    mRahmani wrote: »
    What servers are you on? I’m usually connected to Iowa and it’s been pretty stable.

New York normally but I've tried other servers and it happens on all of them. Main menu is fine, champion selection is fine, and then when the game starts up either immediately or like a few minutes in, the game will start to jack up my ping and then I'll experience a period where the game just freezes, for like 30 seconds, and I'm booted off with the code:net signon:full error, and then I sign back in and it works fine... for awhile and then it happens again. If anything it's way worse than it used to be. It used to be something like this would happen every so often, and it would suck. Now it's every single match. It has made the game completely unplayable for me.

Edit: It happens whether I'm running VPN or not, it happens whether I'm running anything in the background or not, it happens whether I'm playing fullscreen or borderless window.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Weird question, but do you have a LOT of friends in the game/on your account?

Because TheGamingMerchant noticed some major stuttering issues a while back, and eventually seemed to associate it with having like 400 people on his friend's list, which was apparently causing the game to snag massive amounts of data on an irregular basis. Made the game all but unplayable for him at times.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I too always have issues when I'm put into one of the east coast servers. I can play fine even on euro servers, with around 160-180ms ping. But the east coast servers at 110 or so ping, I have everyone stuttering around.

Forar wrote: »
    Weird question, but do you have a LOT of friends in the game/on your account?

Because TheGamingMerchant noticed some major stuttering issues a while back, and eventually seemed to associate it with having like 400 people on his friend's list, which was apparently causing the game to snag massive amounts of data on an irregular basis. Made the game all but unplayable for him at times.

I'd have to check but I don't usually have a ton of friends in these games. Unless it's counting everyone from my steam friends list which includes a lot more.

For anyone who likes getting free loot, there's a tournament running with Twitch Drops if you have a Twitch account connected to your EA account, and then put this on (watched or in the background, whatever);

I believe 1 hour watched gets the Holospray, 2 hours the Prowler skin, 3 hours the Bloodhound skin, and 4 hours the Charm.

This can be across multiple sessions, I picked up the first three last night/this morning, and apparently it's back.

There were other channels with the drops running earlier, but this one seems to be the only one currently.

If there were more, this link would show them: https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Apex Legends?tl=c2542d6d-cd10-4532-919b-3d19f30a768b

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    AFAIK in order to get counted as a viewer for Twitch Drops, the stream can not be muted, so just leave it on minimum volume or put it on on another device.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    New season's page is up, new legend is Mad Maggie, the map is Olympus (but different?!), and there's a new LTM that's pretty spicy:

"For the first 3 weeks of Defiance, see whether you can handle the madness in the new Control mode. Select your loadout and drop in to a 9v9 experience where teams battle to hold control points with infinite respawn."

Edit: Looks like the new season launches on February 8th and they're doing pretty good Third Anniversary rewards, including giving away Octane and Wattson and Vakyrie, which is the first time they've given away legends that I'm aware of and that's pretty cool.

Peen on
    hopefully next season they'll fix whatever is the issue I'm having.

Also, according to a pop up in the game, it looks like they're retiring the 'Legend Edition' things.

Someone on Reddit claimed that the rewards are going to be rolled into EA Play, so maybe they're not going to be gone, just changed in distribution, but I figured it was worth mentioning in case anyone had an eye on one in their current state.

I still have PTSD from Maggie's tenure as announcer so I'm not super thrilled about seeing her as a legend

However, I am HYPE for 9v9 domination

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I still have PTSD from Maggie's tenure as announcer so I'm not super thrilled about seeing her as a legend

You're lookin' about as spry as my 80 year old Mum!

...And that's a compliment!

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    It is quite funny that they'd bring back a character I only really heard people complaining about, but on the other hand I found her a lot more endearing in the latest story video than when she was just repeating a handful of voicelines every few minutes, so I'm interested to see how she plays.

Still finding it pretty impossible to sneak in any wins lately, though I suppose that's partly just the solo queue life, but I've still had some decent games regardless so I'm not complaining too much.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yeah, the video was good at fleshing out her character. Had a few good games, so trying to push to gold before the season ends. Only 300ish points to go.
    I've never really prioritized ranked, but I will say it's nice to have games that aren't turn your brain off and land fragment.

I want to be hype for it, but I fear/suspect that being reliant on 8 randoms will just mean that as soon as we're a bit behind, people will start dropping, at which point it'll become that much more of an uphill climb. Just like arenas and the holiday express, there'll always be those who bail the moment they're not in the lead, which makes fair fights (let alone epic comebacks) far and few in between.

Maybe I'm wrong, but seeing how slow they are to add anything remotely resembling a penalty to those abandoning games early (in anything but ranked that is), I'm not optimistic. It'd be nice if they incentivized sticking games out somehow, but I doubt it.

I want to be hype for it, but I fear/suspect that being reliant on 8 randoms will just mean that as soon as we're a bit behind, people will start dropping, at which point it'll become that much more of an uphill climb. Just like arenas and the holiday express, there'll always be those who bail the moment they're not in the lead, which makes fair fights (let alone epic comebacks) far and few in between.

Maybe I'm wrong, but seeing how slow they are to add anything remotely resembling a penalty to those abandoning games early (in anything but ranked that is), I'm not optimistic. It'd be nice if they incentivized sticking games out somehow, but I doubt it.

In Arenas, you are penalized for leaving a match early, even in unranked. So far I have had less than 5 people leave the match early, in hundreds of matches. I'm pretty sure 9v9 won't be too different.

Halo and COD both have this issue but I find it doesn’t tend to happen most of the time.

Halo and COD both have this issue but I find it doesn’t tend to happen most of the time.

Do the games fill the empty spots? I think that'd be the best solution, but I don't know if Apex would do this.

Woo - got gold and finished the battlepass. I think it's time for a break.

edited January 2022
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    In Arenas, you are penalized for leaving a match early, even in unranked. So far I have had less than 5 people leave the match early, in hundreds of matches. I'm pretty sure 9v9 won't be too different.

Maybe it's a PC vs Console thing, maybe it's just bad luck, but 1/4 of my last 20 matches started with us either missing a person or having someone disconnect or go afk. As someone who actively dislikes the arenas, yes, out of curiosity I kept notes.

When I say 'dropping' I mean 'no longer playing'. Even with the penalty for leaving that they added, it didn't stop people from just wandering off with their legend standing idle in the spawn point.

End of the day, it was still a 2v3, and given that I'm not particularly gifted at the game, it generally led to a swift defeat (followed by the enemy team teabagging our boxes and firing off like they just won an ALGS grand prize).

Will this be the same? Maybe not, but these limited modes that rely on everyone sticking around don't have a great track record for me. Hell, I start off as a duo or solo often enough in Trios/Ranked that 'people being missing' isn't exactly an uncommon issue to have.

I'll probably give it a whirl, but the first impression is going to need to be stellar to really hook me.

Forar on
    Also, I finally remembered to upload those games I mentioned the other day.

Normally I try to trim them down to start where the action begins, but when things kick off right from the start, and go the distance, it adds up.

Where Loba has multiple 'oh for fucks sake' moments trying to get a stupid Simulacrum back on his feet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeWWXQ4h6pw

Where Loba does very little damage, but spends a lot of the start running for her damned life and trying to get her betters back on their feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtzjR5zEKSg

Satsumomo wrote: »

Maybe it's a PC vs Console thing, maybe it's just bad luck, but 1/4 of my last 20 matches started with us either missing a person or having someone disconnect or go afk. As someone who actively dislikes the arenas, yes, out of curiosity I kept notes.

When I say 'dropping' I mean 'no longer playing'. Even with the penalty for leaving that they added, it didn't stop people from just wandering off with their legend standing idle in the spawn point.

End of the day, it was still a 2v3, and given that I'm not particularly gifted at the game, it generally led to a swift defeat (followed by the enemy team teabagging our boxes and firing off like they just won an ALGS grand prize).

Will this be the same? Maybe not, but these limited modes that rely on everyone sticking around don't have a great track record for me. Hell, I start off as a duo or solo often enough in Trios/Ranked that 'people being missing' isn't exactly an uncommon issue to have.

I'll probably give it a whirl, but the first impression is going to need to be stellar to really hook me.

Ah yeah, the person just not doing anything is something I've found more than once. How long was this though? Because yeah when arenas launched it was months of being put into incomplete lobbies, I really hated that. But this season at least, I haven't had that happen once and I'm grateful.

I do wonder how many of these issues are people suffering from the same kind of connectivity/stability issues I've experienced, which doesn't seem to be entirely uncommon.

• OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    I've just chocked it all up to Apex being poorly optimized, running on old, outdated Source code, and EA having notoriously bad servers for many games.

Nah Forar’s issue is people being dicks in arenas. They lose the first round and don’t want to eat a matchmaking penalty by quitting, so they go AFK instead. It’s one of many reasons I don’t touch that mode anymore.

I’ve pulled out plenty of come from behind wins with a missing player in BR, in arenas it’s not usually possible.

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Just got my ass handed to me by the #673 Ranked Pred in ranked.

I’m silver III, good fucking job respawn.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »

To be fair, they have to play against someone and there's likely not all top 5000 players all online at once

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    ronzo wrote: »

To be fair, they have to play against someone and there's likely not all top 5000 players all online at once

I don’t really care if they have to wait a bit, they are literally 15 rank levels above me out of 22 total. The ranked vs qp split is meaningless if you let this happen.

He was also grouped with a bronze 2 Smurf (level 12 with 18 kills) and a diamond 1. In willing to bet they glitched their way into that lobby.

Edit:
    At the very least I shouldn’t have lost RP for losing a fight I had literally no business being involved in.

ronzo on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    It's a lot more complicated than "I personally don't want to fight people who are better than me" because who knows how healthy the game servers are 3 years into the game.

It's also not healthy to assume the game grouping players of variable skill together as them cheating

edited January 2022
    I mean a ranked play system is pretty meaningless if two people in the top third end up playing teams in the bottom third. I honestly don't care if the top people have ten minute queue times, if you don't like it go pub stomp in quickplay.

Peen on
    edited January 2022
    It's a lot more complicated than "I personally don't want to fight people who are better than me" because who knows how healthy the game servers are 3 years into the game.

It's also not healthy to assume the game grouping players of variable skill together as them cheating

Sorry Jay, but no, this isn't "I don't want to fight better players", this is "It isn't reasonable for someone in the Tutorial Leagues (no offense intended, but you CAN'T lose RP in Bronze, so Silver III is still very much the beginner's league) to fight one of the best players on the entire region".

There has been a known glitch that allows Predators to get into lower tier lobbies for ages, and it sounds likely that they used it here.

Bronze, Silver, and Gold are their own little 'gen-pop' segment, then Plat and above is supposed to at least aim to be sorted by rank (give or take, yes, they don't want people waiting an hour for matchmaking, I get that).

Crossing the Plat threshold is a thing to behold, and my gold tier level of skill wants nothing to do with the sweat found in those lobbies, despite hitting Plat IV every season since 7.

Frankly, I'm fairly confident they implemented the reduced RP awarded for killing lower tier players to combat this, which kind of sadly indicates that it was easier to make Silver players worthless to Predators (for rank, at least) than it was to fix the glitch that lets them end up in Silver lobbies in the first place.

Hell, I'm helping a friend get to Plat this split if we can, and as someone who is still Gold IV, I'm actively striving not to go higher. The post split ranked matchmaking is a damned mess. Plat III's knocked down to Silver I (ie: people good enough to progress in the morass that is Plat) makes for some rough games. Dropping in a "Silver" lobby filled with specialty trails rapidly becomes "I'm just going to hide for the next 10 minutes while you assholes sort this out".

Duos/Trios will have a mix of everyone in the game, that much is expected. Ranked is supposed to be about facing similarly skilled players. Silver versus Predator is... not that.

From the S11 patch notes:

Tier Difference Kill Points
    -3 3
    -2 5
    -1 8
    0 10
    1 12
    2 15
    3 20

"An encounter rate with someone of a 3+ tier difference is ultra-rare (less than 0.1%)."

Pred to Silver is so big a difference (4 tiers: Masters and Predator are counted the same for this) it isn't even on the chart.

Forar on
    Also, 10 hours from now or so, there'll be a Gameplay trailer for Season 12.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtVABKfc_AE

Yeah, that's a glitcher for sure. If you still have any screenshots, I'd definitely send them to hideouts, as they've been pretty serious about punishing people who glitch lobbies like that.

We'll see when they release it but I like the stuff they've done with Olympus a lot, in theory. It looks like there will be fewer opportunities to hilariously launch yourself off into space by accident, but it should be a lot easier to move around and I like the areas that they've added.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    PRO GAMER QUESTION

What sensitivity and DPI do you all use on PC?

I'm struggling with am and am currently using 750DPI and 2.0 for sensitivity.

Too slow? Too fast?

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    We'll see when they release it but I like the stuff they've done with Olympus a lot, in theory. It looks like there will be fewer opportunities to hilariously launch yourself off into space by accident, but it should be a lot easier to move around and I like the areas that they've added.

most of these changes sound good as olympus's strong points have always been its POIs and it's the dead zones in between with huge open stretches that are the worst particularly when final rings are involved
    interesting that they've decided to straight up shift pois on the map to add more actual space for once instead of having to blow up current terrain to try and make big changes

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    PRO GAMER QUESTION

What sensitivity and DPI do you all use on PC?

I'm struggling with am and am currently using 750DPI and 2.0 for sensitivity.

Too slow? Too fast?

I'm at 800/1.4 which took me a while to get down to. I definitely used to run a lot faster sensitivity so that I could whip around my view and feel like a gamer, but it actually ended up just making my aim way too fast!
    After turning down my sensitivity my aim improved a lot. I tried going down to 1.2, but it was a too much for me/my mouse space and felt a little sluggish for me. 1.4 gave me a little more freedom of movement while still keeping a good speed for ADS accuracy.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636