As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy the 14th: End of the World Starts Now!

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Went ahead and found some maps, so that’s dealt with.

I’m asking about materia because of this: the Novus Zodiac Weapon Quest. I have to bind a bunch of Materia to the scroll, and I’m limited to rank 4 materia or lower. I wish I could jam it full of max-level materia.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I unlocked gunbreaker and I was doing the class quest and it brought something to my attention. In a world where actual cat people and rabbit people exist, is humans wearing cat ears or bunny ears racist?

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »

I’m asking about materia because of this: the Novus Zodiac Weapon Quest. I have to bind a bunch of Materia to the scroll, and I’m limited to rank 4 materia or lower. I wish I could jam it full of max-level materia.

That would be a huge waste of Materia due to stat caps.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    YEah but it's 30 consecutive days, right? So if I log off to GW2 for a while I'm still wasting the days.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    oh don't worry, all your days in mmos are wasted

liEt3nH.png
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    YEah but it's 30 consecutive days, right? So if I log off to GW2 for a while I'm still wasting the days.

ya not splitting your time with GW2 makes sense

That would be a huge waste of Materia due to stat caps.

yeah but 7s/8s are often cheaper than lower tier materia because they're so plentiful

admanb on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    I unlocked gunbreaker and I was doing the class quest and it brought something to my attention. In a world where actual cat people and rabbit people exist, is humans wearing cat ears or bunny ears racist?

It should be, but it isn't.

edited January 2022
    Post Heavensward MSQ done!
    I knew that fucker was Ilbred. Ilbred, you're terrible at disguises. And plans, also. Fuck you, dude.

Current Tasks, while I continue to kinda go "stupid GW2 xpac coming soon" and avoid actually subbing

* get an Anima weapon for DRG (I am DRG for life); I actually have all but 2 of the crystals for the first step. The drop rate is surprisingly forgiving.
    * get all the crafting & gathering stuff to 60
    * finish up the Beast Tribe quests
    * finish Coil 2 and hopefully finish all of Bahamut
    * finish up other incidental quests like the Moogle Mail and those goofy detectives
    * do at least all the EXTREEEM mode shit once (I'm pretty close! I think I have Bismark and Triad left?). Probably NOT bothering with Savage Alexander, that seems like A LOT of work (even if the gear is pretty).
    * maybe try a few more classes! I can at least say I'm NOT interested in Monk, Rogue/Ninja, Archer/Bard, and *probably* not interested in Black Mage, so that narrows the field a bit. I have SCH/SMN at 60 already, tho I need to finish their lvl 60 quests, and PLD is at 55 (tho damn the PLD quests turned out to be boring :\ ). I think for F2P, that leaves WAR, DRK, WHM, AST, MCH, and BLU; and the various Tanks/Healers should be relatively quick to level by just smashing my face against Adventurer in Need. I hear of the *storylines* of those classes, DRK is a do-not-miss situation (kinda like Infiltrator in SW:TOR).

Part of my problem is that I'm both easily overwhelmed and distracted by Stuff, so sticking to the Trial will keep me focused. If I finish at least *most* of that stuff, I'll feel pretty comfortable pulling the trigger on a sub -- and of that stuff, I can probably leave EXTREEEEM mode, alt classes, and Anima weapon if the later stages turn out to be annoying.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022

I think a LOT of the stuff player characters do in game that isn't directly related to the story isn't really considered to be a part of the continuous main game story or the main game world. I don't think anyone really suggests that the Warrior of Light spends a ton of time going to places like the Gold Saucer or helping the Mandervilles out. And I think kooky outfits goes along with that.

Dhalphir on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    * maybe try a few more classes! I can at least say I'm NOT interested in Monk, Rogue/Ninja, Archer/Bard, and *probably* not interested in Black Mage, so that narrows the field a bit. I have SCH/SMN at 60 already, tho I need to finish their lvl 60 quests, and PLD is at 55 (tho damn the PLD quests turned out to be boring :\ ). I think for F2P, that leaves WAR, DRK, WHM, AST, MCH, and BLU; and the various Tanks/Healers should be relatively quick to level by just smashing my face against Adventurer in Need. I hear of the *storylines* of those classes, DRK is a

PLD 50-60 is the worst series of class quests in the entire game.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2022
    Edit: Just looked it up, and I am wrong. About five percent of the population of the region of Dalmasca is Vierra, so over the rest of the world it would likely go down the farther away from Dalmasca you get. I still think the canon population of Vierra in Eorzea is less than a quarter percent. It's theoretically possible that a Vierra has never once set foot in the Gold Saucer.

Further edit: Is it racist? Probably. Has a Vierra ever witnessed it? Possibly not. If they had would any complaints be utterly drown out by all the other rights-issues in the septic tank of misery that is Ul Dah? Almost certainly.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    perhaps the real racism is calling them cats and rabbits B)

liEt3nH.png

Maybe in future storylines we will see more about their origins. It is easy to blame the Allag and their biological experimentations, but the Miqo'te actually predate the Allagan empire.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

I think a LOT of the stuff player characters do in game that isn't directly related to the story isn't really considered to be a part of the continuous main game story or the main game world. I don't think anyone really suggests that the Warrior of Light spends a ton of time going to places like the Gold Saucer or helping the Mandervilles out. And I think kooky outfits goes along with that.

maybe yours doesn't

BahamutZERO.gif

Maybe in future storylines we will see more about their origins. It is easy to blame the Allag and their biological experimentations, but the Miqo'te actually predate the Allagan empire.

all the PC races predate Allag by virtue of Shadowbringers spoilers
    existing on the shards as well, where there was no Allag. Also implying they all existed at the time of the sundering, or were caused to exist directly by the sundering.
    The Ixal and Ananta and some monster species are the only ones that were Allagan creations.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Server move time, so goodbye house.
    Goodby yard, I liked sitting by the fire pit when I logged out at night
    oliammkoib3w.png

Goodbye war room
    ewpc2yspnahq.png

Hope you have a good new owner
    5w21ewbnmkd3.png

On the flip side, got 10 gold feathers for moving character to new server - so was able to get my Twintania mount, it's awesome. Plus the new server has a great feel to it, Ravana definitely feels like Tonberry 2.0.

Something I've wondered about since finishing EW, not sure if I missed something (ARR, ShB and EW spoilers)
    Why didn't Graha'tia's future that he came back from have the Final Days at the same point they happened in our timeline? I'm not aware that anything we did triggered them, their cause was entirely external to the planet, so shouldn't they have happened at the same time?

Evermourn wrote: »
    Something I've wondered about since finishing EW, not sure if I missed something (ARR, ShB and EW spoilers)
    Why didn't Graha'tia's future that he came back from have the Final Days at the same point they happened in our timeline? I'm not aware that anything we did triggered them, their cause was entirely external to the planet, so shouldn't they have happened at the same time?
    Not sure I have the answer, but:

Weren't the Final Days kept at bay by Zodiark? So if all that wasn't triggered then it wouldn't come to pass yet?

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular

Spoiler for all msq
    Since we never killed emet and elidibus fandaniel never got to enact his plan for omnicide by emo bird. Zodiark remained as a shield keeping the final days at bay

Frozenzen wrote: »

Spoiler for all msq
    Since we never killed emet and elidibus fandaniel never got to enact his plan for omnicide by emo bird. Zodiark remained as a shield keeping the final days at bay

Ah I didn't realise
    Zodiark was maintaining it, I thought he pumped the aether into the atmospheric currents as a one off when he stopped the first Final Days. Makes sense, ty!

admanb wrote: »
    * maybe try a few more classes! I can at least say I'm NOT interested in Monk, Rogue/Ninja, Archer/Bard, and *probably* not interested in Black Mage, so that narrows the field a bit. I have SCH/SMN at 60 already, tho I need to finish their lvl 60 quests, and PLD is at 55 (tho damn the PLD quests turned out to be boring :\ ). I think for F2P, that leaves WAR, DRK, WHM, AST, MCH, and BLU; and the various Tanks/Healers should be relatively quick to level by just smashing my face against Adventurer in Need. I hear of the *storylines* of those classes, DRK is a

Yeah I'm genuinely regretting picking up PLD. I dig the aesthetic, I love 1h swords, but this plot is a big ol pile of "okay?"

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2022
    Frozenzen wrote: »

Spoiler for all msq

Buddy #1 is past zone 5 in EW so we've talked a bit about some implications:
    The Warrior of Light is in a closed loop that's internally consistent. Ghost Elidibus says you cannot change anything by going into the past, but it wasn't as much a warning about "don't change anything or you'll erase yourself!" as stating the fact that whatever you do already happened in Elidibus' past. It's the same kind of loop as in the first Terminator movie -- Skynet needs to stop John Connor, sends Arnold back in time, which leads to both John Connor being born in the first place, as well as leaving the fragmented CPU that is used to create Skynet, which leads to...

G'raha Tia's future he came from is, most likely, an actual separate timeline now, that wasn't erased by changing its past. There's that short story where some other 8th Umbral Calamity survivors talk with Midgardsormr after G'raha takes the Crystal Tower back in time and to the First. So that future won't happen in our timeline, but the alternate timeline still exists, unreachable... as far as we know.

Echo on

Yeah I'm genuinely regretting picking up PLD. I dig the aesthetic, I love 1h swords, but this plot is a big ol pile of "okay?"
    I'd just skip the cutscenes. I fast-clicked through WHM as well. It's not as aggressively dumb as PLD, but it's up there. If you enjoy the job then that's reason enough to keep playing it imho.

general complaints about WHM quest line:
    Especially with all the skills they moved around the rewards don't even make sense. Like you need to understand 3 elements and every time to kill a bloobledee you get a spell from that element... but all that has been ignored and after a certain level even your spell effects don't incorporate the elements any more.

I view things changing to Dia and Glare as your level of magic progressing past the basics of Conjury and the intermediates of White Magery into something new. It isn't really a plot hole in my view, especially concerning your environment when you learn the spells.

What irks me however, is...
    Starting levels in Limsa Lominsa, during your first fight alongside Y'shtola, she still casts Stoneskin on you in the first instanced battle versus the Gobbue.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I never felt like the magical school of conjury was a good fit for early white magery. They had to fit spells like Stone and Aero in somehow. But they're not a good fit for WHM. Not from a historical perspective of the entire series of Final Fantasy, and not from a historical perspective of the evolution of the class in the game.

Conjury should have been the prelude to a geomancer class, not a healer who uses the the elements of light and holy to heal and attack. Thematically they don't jive.

edited January 2022
    I agree. We were just having a discussion in Free Company chat last night about branching jobs, and while I believe SE is on record as not going to do them any longer, Conjurer is one that would definitely fit the bill.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    The elements thing is wholly a leftover from 1.0 when conjurer was literally the job that got fire, ice, thunder etc. as well. 1.0 thaumaturge instead was about poison and darkness and such, and black mage was a fusion of the two. I forget what white mage was a fusion of.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • SegSeg Registered User regular

Yes, PLD 30-60 is really disappointing. I did enjoy the PLD 60-70 story and the final PLD quest at 80.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Seg wrote: »

Yes, PLD 30-60 is really disappointing. I did enjoy the PLD 60-70 story and the final PLD quest at 80.

I am pretty sure I found the single best possible context in which to do PLD 80.
    I was in uldah working on the Samurai 80 quest, and figured "eh, while I'm here I'll pick up the Paladin 80 quest." So I swap off of samurai exactly long enough for the Gladiator quest guy to show up as one and want a duel.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    edited February 2022
    ssssssoooooooooooo

thanks to a leaked video, I found out that GW2: End of Dragons isn't actually releasing until February 28. Would have been one thing if it was Feb 15 or even the 22nd but like. Come on.

So.

I'm biting the bullet guys. *let's go*.

*edit* probably migrating to Malboro as well.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    It cost me about 150k gil, but I finished the next step of my relic weapon- currently sitting on Curtana and Holy Shield Novus, and working on the Nexus step- which is grinding light energy to further power the weapon- by doing more dungeons and trials. I figure this is a good time to finish off all those random hard-mode dungeon intros that are cluttering up my journal, and all the extra loot will help get currency for bombard cores (bought my second one today, two more to go).

So that leaves on my list to finish...

- Sightseeing log
    - finish relic weapon grind
    - ARR alliance raids
    - Hildibrand ARR
    - Odin

I'm saving Bahamut and extreme primals for the end of Stormblood, though I'm Lv. 60 and wondering if I ought to try them when I finally get to HW and just binge all the PAL role quests in a sitting- or if I save up tomestones and get the Lv. 60 armor from Rowena in Idyllshire...

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    I envy those who have yet to do Hildibrand.

steam_sig.png
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I am pondering the physical version of the OST. The products descriptions are less than clear, is everything on a Blu-ray, thus requiring a Blu-ray drive to get the music ripped? Or is the Blu-ray primarily for the additional content, and the music itself is on an easier to access media format.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    If you want to extract the mp3s, they're in zip files on a directory on the Blu-ray. There's no additional CD disc packaged in there.

SabreMau wrote: »
    If you want to extract the mp3s, they're in zip files on a directory on the Blu-ray. There's no additional CD disc packaged in there.

Hmm, so I'd also need to grab an external bluray drive to actually get at the music. Might just go digital then.

I've heard getting a PC to even read blu-ray disks even with a drive is a pain in the ass due to the copy protection

BahamutZERO.gif
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    It cost me about 150k gil, but I finished the next step of my relic weapon- currently sitting on Curtana and Holy Shield Novus, and working on the Nexus step- which is grinding light energy to further power the weapon- by doing more dungeons and trials. I figure this is a good time to finish off all those random hard-mode dungeon intros that are cluttering up my journal, and all the extra loot will help get currency for bombard cores (bought my second one today, two more to go).

So that leaves on my list to finish...

- Sightseeing log
    - finish relic weapon grind
    - ARR alliance raids
    - Hildibrand ARR
    - Odin

I'm saving Bahamut and extreme primals for the end of Stormblood, though I'm Lv. 60 and wondering if I ought to try them when I finally get to HW and just binge all the PAL role quests in a sitting- or if I save up tomestones and get the Lv. 60 armor from Rowena in Idyllshire...

100% get the 60 Tomestone gear

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    The second boss of Copperbell Mine HM is fucking impossible as a healer running Command Missions.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I've heard getting a PC to even read blu-ray disks even with a drive is a pain in the ass due to the copy protection

The soundtracks haven't been an issue for me so far, just have to open it in the file explorer. In general though yeah, blu-rays are a bitch to deal with.

aTBDrQE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.