As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy the 14th: End of the World Starts Now!

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    These mail delivery quests are bloody amazing.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    These mail delivery quests are bloody amazing.
    something something long haft

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Skeith wrote: »
    I've heard getting a PC to even read blu-ray disks even with a drive is a pain in the ass due to the copy protection

The soundtracks haven't been an issue for me so far, just have to open it in the file explorer. In general though yeah, blu-rays are a bitch to deal with.

They also provide an on-disc simple webpage to link to the four zip files. Last week I bought all of the discs that I hadn't picked up before, and it was just a matter of loading this up, clicking each of them, unzipping to a directory, then importing those directories into iTunes.

DnPiARJ.png

UJWSikG.jpg

SabreMau on
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Good night so far! Some good progress on my relic, I tanked a Garuda EX Dutyfinder party kill, and then tanked my first ever Titan EX partyfinder clear. No ponies yet, but hopefully soon. Just leaves... Ifrit, Ramuh, Leviathan and Moggle Mog EX to do. I intend on farming Shiva EX, of course (I'd do them unsynced if I could solo them at 60 with the Lv. 50 tomestone armor...), but first ever Titan EX kill under my belt. Took us about 40 minutes to do- some of the DPS and one healer had shit latency, so they were eating Landslides pretty much every go.

EDIT: Ifrit EX downed also, with a PF group, on second pull. I can honestly say Titan EX is the hardest of the ARR EX fights.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Good night so far! Some good progress on my relic, I tanked a Garuda EX Dutyfinder party kill, and then tanked my first ever Titan EX partyfinder clear. No ponies yet, but hopefully soon. Just leaves... Ifrit, Ramuh, Leviathan and Moggle Mog EX to do. I intend on farming Shiva EX, of course (I'd do them unsynced if I could solo them at 60 with the Lv. 50 tomestone armor...), but first ever Titan EX kill under my belt. Took us about 40 minutes to do- some of the DPS and one healer had shit latency, so they were eating Landslides pretty much every go.

EDIT: Ifrit EX downed also, with a PF group, on second pull. I can honestly say Titan EX is the hardest of the ARR EX fights.

yeah Titan EX is a whole lot of "faldsjflj HOW DID I FALL OFF THE PLATFORM *THIS* TIME" and "WHY IS THE DODGE TIMER ON THAT ONE AOE A HALF SECOND SHORTER THAN BASICALLY EVERY OTHER AOE IN THE GAME" (side order of "I miss my dodge roll from GW2 :( " )

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Does that require doing them synced?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Titan is kind of infamous as an example of "this fight was designed around having the latency of a Japanese player in Japan playing on a Japanese datacenter" encounters.

Polaritie wrote: »

Does that require doing them synced?

The relic? Not at all- you can go in unsynced and buzz through. But if you’re looking for something swift and easy, Sastasha and Aurum Vale unsynced runs are your best bet, especially when one of then has the bonus (you can buzz through regular Sastasha at 60 in about 10 - 12 minutes a run solo).

You have to do them synced to clear the quests, though- I made about 12k GC seals and got my third Bombard Core from those.

Going to research and try more EX tonight.

After this stage, then comes the step where I’ll need all this stuff…

steam_sig.png
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Tam-Tara is a bit faster than Sastasha.

It is?

I have Sastasha, Tam-Tara, Copperbell, AV, Prae, and the three Crystal Tower raids to get the most light from (Syrcus Tower and World of Darkness give the most). I know Copperbell is a slog, so that’s out…

steam_sig.png
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    I think Aurum Vale is the fastest if you can kill everything quickly since it has very minimal obstacles. Tam-Tara I recall is about 5-6 minutes. I think you can pull everything to each boss platform without any forced stops.

If the bonus is active, Ifrit normal actually ends up being faster if you are on a SSD in a "light/hour" farming ratio.

Caedwyr on
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @Polaritie if you mean specifically for the ponies, you can run them unsynced

Nah, I was talking about for the relic.

I don’t think I have the sheer power yet to clear AV on my own, honestly- Lv. 62 paladin in Ironworks gear and a half-done relic against a Lv. 40-something dungeon. I just like Sastasha and Tam-Tara because I know I can buzz them quick and the normal versions of each give more light than their hard modes.

But still on the old list…

- Finish relic (need one more Bombard Core after step, then it’s just grinding dungeons till done)
    - sightseeing log
    - EX Primals if I can find parties (Ramuh, Shiva, Leviathan, Moggle Mog)
    - Bahamut if I can find parties
    - Crystal Tower raids
    - Minstrel’s Ballad: Ultima Weapon

I’d love to start a crafter or three, but all my Gil is kind of dedicated to relic weapons right now. That’s 100k for each of four items for the next weapon, which will leave me about 30k Gil total after all this. Not enough to get a crafter off the ground.

steam_sig.png
    I’d love to start a crafter or three, but all my Gil is kind of dedicated to relic weapons right now. That’s 100k for each of four items for the next weapon, which will leave me about 30k Gil total after all this. Not enough to get a crafter off the ground.

How far into Heavensward are you? The crafting system it introduces after the MSQ is largely without a Gil cost, I think you only need to get the respective crafter jobs to level 10 to do stuff there.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    the mats can get expensive

Haven’t started HW just yet, been grinding out everything I can before I move on.

About the only things I won’t be doing exclusive to expansion tiers are extremes and optional content I can’t find groups for and beast tribes- there are five tribes and then more in each oncoming expansion.

…at least the good news is I’ll be able- hopefully- to binge as much of that awful job story as possible as fast as I can to get it out of the way.

steam_sig.png
  • EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Re crafting, you could start on the Ixal beast tribe quests and get some crafting levelled pretty much for free.

Dhalphir wrote: »

At what level? I've been getting materials from Diadem and the occasional five-minute foray to gather 50 iron ore or whatever secondary thing is needed, and I've got all crafters at 55-ish now.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

At what level? I've been getting materials from Diadem and the occasional five-minute foray to gather 50 iron ore or whatever secondary thing is needed, and I've got all crafters at 55-ish now.

Not really feeling the costs either. Different story if you're trying to fill out your crafting log...

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    if you're gathering them yourself they won't but if you don't level gatherers with the crafting jobs and just buy the non-diadem materials off the MB it gets expensive yeah, or it did when the firmament stuff was still new, I haven't looked at doing crafts there in a while.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Titan is kind of infamous as an example of "this fight was designed around having the latency of a Japanese player in Japan playing on a Japanese datacenter" encounters.

Titan was also fine for me and my (mostly Canadian) FC at the time until they moved the NA servers from Montreal to California. Then we would just always eat mechanics we used to dodge easily.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    if you're gathering them yourself they won't but if you don't level gatherers with the crafting jobs and just buy the non-diadem materials off the MB it gets expensive yeah, or it did when the firmament stuff was still new, I haven't looked at doing crafts there in a while.

Fortunately, Diadem is also good for leveling gatherers. It falls off after 80 though iirc? At which point the costs if you don't have gathering leveled will get worse.

I don't think there's firmament recipes after 80 either though

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Gathering yourself is the same root cost as buying them. You're taking time in game and converting it to materials which are then worth gil - if gathering at the Diadem is your personal best way to make gil, then it's worth doing, but if you have anything else more lucrative that you could be doing instead with that time to make money, then gathering personally not only doesn't saves money, it costs money.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Opportunity cost statements usually ignore any factors that are not money or time. And in the context of playing a game, the whole point of the exercise is to spend time doing things that are fun, not to make imaginary fake game money.

If what is fun, or calming, or whatever your goal is is the act of making fake game money, you do you. Just not everyone has that as a goal or wants to spend the clock cycles on either the grey mater or the silicone chips on it.

I am stuck in a capitalistic world in real life and, speaking for myself, I don't want to subject myself to the closest equivalent to that mindset in my escapisms.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    The thing about gathering mats is you can often fit it in while waiting on queues and such. In the time it took leveling to pop tonight I got all the materials together to macro out three levels on blacksmith.

Opportunity cost statements usually ignore any factors that are not money or time. And in the context of playing a game, the whole point of the exercise is to spend time doing things that are fun, not to make imaginary fake game money.

If what is fun, or calming, or whatever your goal is is the act of making fake game money, you do you. Just not everyone has that as a goal or wants to spend the clock cycles on either the grey mater or the silicone chips on it.

I am stuck in a capitalistic world in real life and, speaking for myself, I don't want to subject myself to the closest equivalent to that mindset in my escapisms.

For sure, but the conversation was around saving money by self gathering, not around enjoying gathering. By all means, if gathering is fun and variety in Gil making is important, then go for it. It's just good not to fall into the trap of thinking it saves money if that's the primary motivator.

The thing about gathering mats is you can often fit it in while waiting on queues and such. In the time it took leveling to pop tonight I got all the materials together to macro out three levels on blacksmith.

This is also true, but the Diadem is another matter as by its nature it precludes doing anything else in conjunction.

This is also true, but the Diadem is another matter as by its nature it precludes doing anything else in conjunction.

Oh, yeah. One of the things I dislike about the instances like that - I'd love to be able to faff about in Bozja/Zadnor while waiting on queues, but NO.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Being able to reshape the queue in a way like that would I think be one of the QOL technical upgrades i'd most like to see, but i have to imagine it's disproportionately difficult

liEt3nH.png
    Eh, not so good luck tonight. Waited an hour for a party for Shiva EX, remembered it being on the easier side of the EX fights...

...and it usually is, apparently- when you have a party that knows how to fight her, and isn't constantly eating icicles and knows how to handle her tactics.

We pretty reliably got her down to 10%, but either she hit the enrage or just got lucky with the bow attack and just plain hammered the whole party.

We got her down to about five percent, once- then she pulled the move where she makes the ground icy, sending three-quarters of the raid, fresh off a healer LB3, into the wall, where we proceed to freeze solid- while a black mage and a white mage are left on the outside.

I might have invented some new profanity over that one. But yeah, I think I'm going to call it on primals for now. There was some grumpiness as the party broke up, but I think we did our best.

steam_sig.png
    The bow is always aimed at the tank IIRC? so don't stand on the side with the tank/don't swing her around as the tank

BahamutZERO.gif
    ...that might be it- I was off-tanking for all the fights.

I think there's supposed to be a tank-swap in there, too- when I was main tanking, I was getting lots of debuffs facing her.

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2022
    Yeah ex fights actually have tank swap mechanics sometimes, as opposed to normal difficulty stuff which never does

I don't know Shiva ex well enough to advise beyond remembering the ice bow shot is a tank-aimed 180 cone

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    The popular Shiva EX/Unreal strat was actually just to one-tank it and run an extra dps instead

Javen on
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I've found just doing the daily grand company provisioning has got me often multiple levels in all of the crafting jobs crafting just one or two items per day.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    everyone needs to be directly behind shiva or they get one shot by the bow

Most of the solo kills on ARR EX Primals I’ve found are two expansions + forward- so about Lv. 70 with endgame Stormblood tomestones gear or even Shadowbringers Dungeon gear.

I need Clemency or some kind of cure ability or I’m just going to get burnt down, too…

steam_sig.png
    Yeah, the final Stormblood gear should be enough for ARR ones, but obviously higher levels go faster... up to a point. Most ex fights have stuff you can't skip them past before they go invincible. Leviathan's particularly bad about it.

This discussion has been closed.