As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The little crystal turtle [Pokémon] is pretty cute.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    They really made the alphas harder to catch on the second map huh?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Oh, also. Hold onto 3 pieces of wood in your storage box, don't use em for crafting or anything. You'll know when the time comes to use them, trust me.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Kanden wrote: »
    Holy cow, the last story boss is incredible. Definitely in the top tier of battles for the whole franchise, and honestly, probably my #1 period. Fires on so many cylinders, legitimately difficult, cool music, good story beats, and an icing of nostalgia on top. Just so so good

Question!
    Do you mean the Arceus battle? Or the last battle of the pre-credit roll story? If you mean arceus can you just confirm if you need to just CATCH each poke to fight him and not max out the pokedex for each?

Holy cow, the last story boss is incredible. Definitely in the top tier of battles for the whole franchise, and honestly, probably my #1 period. Fires on so many cylinders, legitimately difficult, cool music, good story beats, and an icing of nostalgia on top. Just so so good

Question!
    Do you mean the Arceus battle? Or the last battle of the pre-credit roll story? If you mean arceus can you just confirm if you need to just CATCH each poke to fight him and not max out the pokedex for each?
    Last battle of the post game story, I'm working on getting Arceus right now, as soon as I do I can @ you with what I find.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    I spent most of last night just running around catching alphas... lolz... I think when I finally went back to Laventon I had like 22 new alphas to turn in. Also I am quite sure I am just busting the game by getting to places I'm not supposed to thanks to their poor job at preventing cliff jumping :3 But then my party is also super grossly overleveled from exploring and stuff so it's not even dangerous (seriously, I just unlocked the third area and I have pokemon at level 50).
    Also the rifts are starting to piss me off. Seriously, stop spawning shit pokemon. The first area had so many new cool ones, then I see them mostly show up anyways in the second area.. and now the second area mostly spawns pokemon from the first area... like what is the point here? Yes, I see all those Luxios and Onixes and Lickitungs... I have those guys.. you don't need to keep spawning them... I wish they'd spawn that alpha Gengar again.. I accidentally killed it :/ I wants... Maybe he'll be a normal alpha in the third area.

Photo guy showed me a Duskull so I'm hoping it's full of ghosts... and mimikyu the best ghost pokemon.

I also kinda hate Ursaluna since his treasure find mechanic feels wonky. I'm KIND OF getting the hang of it now but it's still very confusing where exactly the treasure is since he sees shit up mountains and stuff. And then 90% of the time I just find mud balls... *sigh* Like, can you give me a way to find those poem things specifically game? Make the color of his beeps different or something. I feel like those are a cool thing to find but I dunno how many are in each area, etc when it's intermixed with other, usually garbage, treasures.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I spent most of last night just running around catching alphas... lolz... I think when I finally went back to Laventon I had like 22 new alphas to turn in. Also I am quite sure I am just busting the game by getting to places I'm not supposed to thanks to their poor job at preventing cliff jumping :3 But then my party is also super grossly overleveled from exploring and stuff so it's not even dangerous (seriously, I just unlocked the third area and I have pokemon at level 50).
    Also the rifts are starting to piss me off. Seriously, stop spawning shit pokemon. The first area had so many new cool ones, then I see them mostly show up anyways in the second area.. and now the second area mostly spawns pokemon from the first area... like what is the point here? Yes, I see all those Luxios and Onixes and Lickitungs... I have those guys.. you don't need to keep spawning them... I wish they'd spawn that alpha Gengar again.. I accidentally killed it :/ I wants... Maybe he'll be a normal alpha in the third area.

Photo guy showed me a Duskull so I'm hoping it's full of ghosts... and mimikyu the best ghost pokemon.

In regards to the spoiler;
    There is also a very small chance that those Rifts will spawn the Arceus starters too. Though only a specific starter (and its Evos) in specific zone.

Double spoiler if you want to know what zone and what Pokemon;
    • Rowlet and its evolutions = Coronet Highlands.
    • Cyndaquil and its evolutions = Crimson Mirelands.
    • Oshawott and its evolutions = Alabaster Icelands.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Do Alpha's give more points from Laventon?

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular

I also kinda hate Ursaluna since his treasure find mechanic feels wonky. I'm KIND OF getting the hang of it now but it's still very confusing where exactly the treasure is since he sees shit up mountains and stuff. And then 90% of the time I just find mud balls... *sigh* Like, can you give me a way to find those poem things specifically game? Make the color of his beeps different or something. I feel like those are a cool thing to find but I dunno how many are in each area, etc when it's intermixed with other, usually garbage, treasures.
    I went through my first rift last night and promptly snagged a Porygon, which... what? I mean, I guess I knew they'd be in since I saw the Dubious Disc in the items you can buy with Merit Points, but still. Kind of a weird choice. On the other hand, it means I could legit put a Porygon-Z on my team in this game! Never had the chance to do that before, only post-game stuff.

Question!
    Last battle of the post game story, I'm working on getting Arceus right now, as soon as I do I can @ you with what I find.
    Still working at it, but just thinking about it, how could you max out the pokedex for arceus and also have arceus included in the pokedex? seems more likely that the shiny charm is the reward for completing the pokedex and arceus is just for catching them all

Question!
    Still working at it, but just thinking about it, how could you max out the pokedex for arceus and also have arceus included in the pokedex? seems more likely that the shiny charm is the reward for completing the pokedex and arceus is just for catching them all
    Yea it seems likely that you just need to catch the rest for Arceus. But just wanted to get some confirmation because I would love to go for him just because it supposedly is a cool fight and has some cool story bits. But in no world would I ever be maxing out my pokedex.

And if it WAS that way I would also stop trying to catch every poke. I don't have any desire to catch them all just for the sake of it. But if it's part of getting to Arceus then I definitely want to keep up with it along the way.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »

I went through my first rift last night and promptly snagged a Porygon, which... what? I mean, I guess I knew they'd be in since I saw the Dubious Disc in the items you can buy with Merit Points, but still. Kind of a weird choice. On the other hand, it means I could legit put a Porygon-Z on my team in this game! Never had the chance to do that before, only post-game stuff.
    I got a Pory-2 and a Pory-Z from the same rift!

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited February 2022
    Axen wrote: »

In regards to the spoiler;
    There is also a very small chance that those Rifts will spawn the Arceus starters too. Though only a specific starter (and its Evos) in specific zone.

Double spoiler if you want to know what zone and what Pokemon;
    • Rowlet and its evolutions = Coronet Highlands.
    • Cyndaquil and its evolutions = Crimson Mirelands.
    • Oshawott and its evolutions = Alabaster Icelands.

Oooo, this I did not know. I've still been checking them out because at a minimum the items are very good but at least this gives me a little more incentive.
    Terrendos wrote: »

I got a Pory-2 and a Pory-Z from the same rift!
    Yeah, I've found a ton of Porygons and one Porygon-2. Haven't seen a Z yet but I believe I have the item to evolve one? (that's the Dubious Disc, right?). I do like this as a solution to "Why would a Porygon be in this game?" (and I hope it's the only way to find them because it would be really, really weird if they were in the wild somewhere)

Also side note - wish they'd give Porygon more love. Just because he gave a few kids seizures 25 years ago (Jesus I feel old) doesn't mean you should ban him from the anime -_-

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    @DemonStacey
    Arceus is just catching everything, not completing every Pokedex entry.

Also a lot of Alphas have double edge

So after a quick look this thing is not a shiny and for some reason the stupid asshole designers made a female hippodown purple
    I am certian this is like the tenth time this has happened to me in my time playing pokemon but I always forget

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Currently stalking my first alpha because obvious arena was more tantalizing than whatever the quest line wanted me to do.

I'm probably going to get wrecked.

But at the moment, I am amusing myself by wondering how the village paddocks are ever going to keep this thing in.
    On top of having only sent them bags of Starlys before and likely not having enough ranks to control the thing myself.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Finally got this game in the mail today. Been playing for half the day in between work. This game is incredible and the Pokemon game I've always wanted. Hopefully this leads to a whole series of Legends games.

Let me explore ancient Kanto or Johto!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i, too, caught the female alpha hippowdon.

Hell yeah, I'm working on wrapping up the living dex before I start hunkering down on the Pokedex entries, only have 5 left all in space time distortions. Gyarados outbreak in one of the areas I need so I go there, 1st try shiny, as I'm flying back to look at it in the box, a shiny Toxicroak pops up. I think I can field a full team of 6 shinies now and it hasn't even been a week!

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Has anyone seen a good checklist of all pokedex tasks? I want to start knocking them out, but it's such a pain dealing with the dex and figuring out which pokemon I need to evolve and what moves they need, etc. A nice simple spreadsheet would work, but I haven't found one online and I'd rather not deal with the hours of copypasting to make one.

Jet balls are op, tossing one at an alphas back like base level pokeballs at a bidoof and it works more often than not.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    I bought the big straw hat and since then I’ve been spending all of my money on inventory space. It’s just so smol!

The inventory, not my hat

initiatefailure on
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    alpha alakazam has recover, uuuugh

i just spammed ultra balls from a bush the second time

• MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    I could be wrong, and can't remember where I heard it, but I don't believe the shiny charm is in the game. What I saw had Shiny Rates tied to Pokedex completion for each individual Pokemon. Base rate was the usual 1/4*** whatever exact number. If you had rank 10 completion of the page it doubled to 1/2*** and if you complete all the tasks, it doubles again and maxes out at 1/1***.

Oh, and on the topic of Rifts:
    I believe it was confirmed that starters and starter evolutions don't spawn in Rifts until the post game.

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
    I bought the big straw hat and since then I’ve been spending all of my money on inventory space. It’s just so smol!

The inventory, not my hat

Max inventory costs roughly 4 million pokebux fyi

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Well, looks like I can't catch this alpha Pokemon yet.
    Guess I can still throw pokeballs at it while booking it in the other direction though.

I'll have to grind some pages out of low level Pokemon too, for the second rank.
    I'm not sure if I've been doing things suboptimally, but my current team is getting too close to my level cap.
    So I immediately lost them in amongst my other paddock pokes.

Have to say that I had to put the controller down for a couple of minutes when Pikachu gave it's cry instead of 'Pika'.
    I'm not sure if that's been back long, but I missed it.

discrider wrote: »
    Guess I can still throw pokeballs at it while booking it in the other direction though.

I'll have to grind some pages out of low level Pokemon too, for the second rank.
    I'm not sure if I've been doing things suboptimally, but my current team is getting too close to my level cap.

Have to say that I had to put the controller down for a couple of minutes when Pikachu gave it's cry instead of 'Pika'.

Arceus brought it back. Eevee too

discrider wrote: »

Well you're really making things hard for ya
    get some stars, it will get easier

camo_sig2.png
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Just a quick question. Do you have to be fully ranked and/or have a complete Pokedex to finish the game, or is that just for the completionists?

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    nm

Jubal77 on
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Just a quick question. Do you have to be fully ranked and/or have a complete Pokedex to finish the game, or is that just for the completionists?

You can definitely finish the story and roll credits without any of that, but I don't yet know if anything happens when you complete that stuff. And I don't really want to know, either.

I recently finished the story, and had been avoiding all info until now. Really love this game, despite its numerous issues. For all the problems with how bad things look, framerate, interface issues, control issues, etc... it's just fun. Really fun. I don't expect this style of game to take over the "main" series, but I'd be shocked if they don't continue making side games like this. I certainly hope that they do.

My guess is definitely no, and that the story bosses are enough.

camo_sig2.png
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    That's good to know. I'm enjoying this (it's the first Pokemon game I've kept playing for more than 3-4 hours), but I don't want to grind too too much.

@DemonStacey
    Arceus is just catching everything, not completing every Pokedex entry.
    Woo! Thank you for checking this for me! Now Im deffo gonna do it!

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Arceus has beaten Animal Crossing: New Horizons opening week sales in the UK.

Later this week we'll likely find out how things went globally, but I doubt it is any different from what we're seeing in the UK.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    really enjoying trying to dig up this new evo item that can only be acquired from randomly digging it up

a mere 3 hours with nothing to show for it, what a good time!

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    really enjoying trying to dig up this new evo item that can only be acquired from randomly digging it up

Which one? There are a bunch of evo items you can buy with merit points, is it one of them?

• MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular

Which one? There are a bunch of evo items you can buy with merit points, is it one of them?

Going to assume he's looking for the Peat Block used for
    Evolving Ursaring into Ursaluna

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png

Going to assume he's looking for the Peat Block used for
    Evolving Ursaring into Ursaluna

Oh is that what that's for? I got one of those randomly and just stuffed it in my box lol

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    So Legends Arceus is like the most distracting game ever....as in: I need to do this thin...OH what is that over there??!?!?

I can't walk two steps before something distracts me and I have to go check it out. It takes me hours to do a story quest lol.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!