As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Replacing a door with something else?

urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
I just got a new subwoofer to complete my 5.1 setup and unfortunately it's too large to fit in my room because if you open the door it'll hit the speaker. So I have 2 options: either remove the door completely or swap it so the door opens out to the hallway.

If I remove the door out of the door frame is there some other thing I could purchase to put there instead? I'd need to at least have some sort of soundproofing or something to keep the heat in. I literally don't know what to search.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    you could probably get a bifold door but they don't block much sound

of course neither do builder grade doors in the past 50 or 60 years

• Options
    Oh I hadn't thought of a bifold door..... I just figure having a wide gaping hole next to my 5.1 system would probably bother anyone who is around the basement area. It doesn't need to be 100% soundproof or anything. Just enough to reduce it a bit and still provide some sort of privacy in the room.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    A few months ago I was getting non stop ads for a specific brand of sliding door on my twitter.

Looks like that specific brand is very expensive, but other sliding doors might be a good bet?

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    A few months ago I was getting non stop ads for a specific brand of sliding door on my twitter.

Looks like that specific brand is very expensive, but other sliding doors might be a good bet?

Unfortunately I don't think I can do a sliding door. This door is right next to the stairs so I can't think of a way to put it in.... Unless the slide happens in the room instead.... Hmm.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Subwoofers generally only need to be in front of you, on the ground and a few inches away from a wall on all sides. Low sounds aren't really that directional beyond 'in front' and 'behind'.

Outside of a butchers curtains or buying acoustic insulating curtains (which do exist, and start around $130) I don't know what you could do.

Example:

https://residential-acoustics.com/shop/soundproofing/acousticurtain/

I do not know how well they would work. My grandma had something similar for the big window on the front of her house facing a busy street.

• Options
    Even if it doesn't work in this scenario I needed to find some for the basement door. Thanks!

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Unfortunately I don't think I can do a sliding door. This door is right next to the stairs so I can't think of a way to put it in.... Unless the slide happens in the room instead.... Hmm.

Instead of sliding in the hallway you can do pocket doors which slide into the wall, but it’s a bit spendy.

• Options
    That's impossible unfortunately:

p521s1fv7wly.jpg

As you can tell there's no wall for it to slide into.

• Options
    That's a side by side photo. Left is from inside the room. The right is from outside if that wasn't obvious.

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    The exact placement of a sub is not so critical for sound, could you possibly just place it somewhere else in the room.

Other than that I should think the best way forward is to change the door so it opens out into the hall, doing it like so it hangs from the other side is likely the best except it will then only open about 90 degrees.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    Yeah it's weird because I was following: https://www.dolby.com/about/support/guide/speaker-setup-guides/5.1-virtual-speakers-setup-guide/ to setup my 5.1 but then the directions inside the subwoofer say that the ideal spot is in the corner of the room wherever the front speakers are located. If that's the case then I can move my speaker back to where it was before and the door doesn't need to be replaced.

• Options
    That's a side by side photo. Left is from inside the room. The right is from outside if that wasn't obvious.

Yeah a pocket door doesn’t work.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I'm a turbo fuckin nerd and got a noren curtain for the doorway with no door to my office/sunroom thing. Keeps the heat in, not so much sounds. Find plenty on etsy, that and a tension rod might set you back 50ish, and at least the one I got was heavier duty and nicer than expected, just check those etsy reviews. I got a petty one in a cream color with some birds on it.

• Options
    Ohhh I like those a lot!

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    There may be building code that dictates which way a door has to open/close into a room.. not sure. Swapping the hinges may not be an option.

But what about big thick curtains? Something heavy will block sound better than a hollow wooden door, too. There are even sound-absorbing curtains out there.

Hanging two panels and entering from the middle might be easier, functionally, than having to wrestle the entire curtain from one side every time. Or always opening/closing every time you need to walk through.

I would also extend the final ring/loop/whatever on the opposite side of the curtain rod bracket so that the sides are sort of "locked" to the edges.

ao78hfxxp454.png

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Yeah it's weird because I was following: https://www.dolby.com/about/support/guide/speaker-setup-guides/5.1-virtual-speakers-setup-guide/ to setup my 5.1 but then the directions inside the subwoofer say that the ideal spot is in the corner of the room wherever the front speakers are located. If that's the case then I can move my speaker back to where it was before and the door doesn't need to be replaced.

Putting speakers in a corner generally makes for a boost of bass, it is likely why the directions on your sub suggests that placement. I think you will be best served to do some listening tests, then pick what you like best and go from there. Depending on your gear you may also be able to adjust/compensate what is feed to your speakers to suit the room and your taste - if so it will for sure be easier than messing with the door.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Figgy wrote: »
    There may be building code that dictates which way a door has to open/close into a room.. not sure. Swapping the hinges may not be an option.

But what about big thick curtains? Something heavy will block sound better than a hollow wooden door, too. There are even sound-absorbing curtains out there.

Hanging two panels and entering from the middle might be easier, functionally, than having to wrestle the entire curtain from one side every time. Or always opening/closing every time you need to walk through.

I would also extend the final ring/loop/whatever on the opposite side of the curtain rod bracket so that the sides are sort of "locked" to the edges.

ao78hfxxp454.png

Commercial fire code dictates doors that open outwards.

In Florida the code states doors open outwards because it’s stronger against hurricanes (also better security against someone kicking the door in).

In a couple northern states code says doors open inwards because of snow piling up.

Most states the code is silent and doors open inwards because of convention.

zepherin on
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Does that only apply to exterior doors?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Does that only apply to exterior doors?

yes

all interior egress doors that lead to outside exits must open towards the outside (aside from closets and machine rooms and rooms that aren't considered 'occupied')

Xaquin on
  • Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    I was looking at accordion doors, after being disappointed that wooden rolling shutter doors are pretty much exclusive to vintage cabinets.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Putting speakers in a corner generally makes for a boost of bass, it is likely why the directions on your sub suggests that placement. I think you will be best served to do some listening tests, then pick what you like best and go from there. Depending on your gear you may also be able to adjust/compensate what is feed to your speakers to suit the room and your taste - if so it will for sure be easier than messing with the door.

Most receivers come with a little microphone, and they'll generally do the math for you to figure out how to make everything sound right and eliminate echo problems.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    could you do a barn door?

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    could you do a barn door?

Alternatively...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcanroWOOWo

• Options
    I actually was able to move the subwoofer back a bit and added a door stopper to prevent the door from hitting the speaker.