As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The little crystal turtle [Pokémon] is pretty cute.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    really enjoying trying to dig up this new evo item that can only be acquired from randomly digging it up

a mere 3 hours with nothing to show for it, what a good time!

Meanwhile it took me about that long running around the area they spawn to finally find a Growlithe. At least I caught it first try.

• MillMill Registered User regular
    Well gave this a try since the roommate had gotten. I have to say, I'm really enjoying the gameplay loop. Didn't get into sword and shield, probably could have if I spent more time on. the new pearl and diamond just didn't click, partly because it was too faithful an adaption of the original, which meant it didn't bring improvements that sword and shield made.

This is looking like it'll be the first pokemon game since gold and silver, that I'll actually complete. One is working for me here is that you actually want to interact with the world beyond just slaughtering pokemon and catching one of each kind of pokemon that has an entry in the pokedex. I'm hoping the crafting and gathering system is brought forward for future games. Before someone mentions something about tech making store items so much better, gold and silver had the old fart that would make you pokeballs from apricorns and that also gave us things like berries. So I'd argue crafting and gathering resources for it could easily have a place. The research tasks are also a nice touch. Can't remember if the older games did much with the concept of quests outside the main storyline. Still all good stuff that helps the world feel more alive and causes you to actually interact with it.

There are some areas that need work. I'd like the option to just be able to toggle on sprint rather than having to hold down a joystick for it. Also have to wonder if it would be feasible to a slightly better setup for throwing stuff. Ended up wasting some items because i meant to throw out a pokemon to gather things and had other times where I forgot to switch to the pokeball and ended up in combat.

Also before I forget, love this game's method of catching pokemon so much more than the traditional setup, that forces you into combat before you can throw a damn ball out to catch a pokemon.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    So wow, while hunting Cherrims for that stupid quest (never found one) I literally found two shinies in a row. I found a shiny Beautifry, looped around the area once and by the time I got back to the same spot it was night and a shiny Dustox has spawned in almost the exact same place. Kind of hilarious they were both wurmple evos.

I didn't hear it the first time but I swear when I spotted Dustox it actually made a shiny chime sound (like what you would hear at the start of a shiny battle).

Never did find a Cherrim but I was able to evolve the lone Cherubi I got and get the dex entry done that way. What a pain in the ass request tho. That pokemon is too damn rare

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Well, spent the day tracking down satchels of some random people who had died (?) in the extreme south of the map.
    And then approached the first alpha from behind the mountain because it was the quickest way back to camp, and I was running out of inventory space, as well as nearing the level cap for my starter.

I'm not sure how the Nintendo internet subscription interacts with the satchels.
    I don't have the sub.

discrider on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Does the Favorite Food thing matter at all? I just throw berries and it seems to work every time, so what's the point of throwing the other ones?

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    really enjoying trying to dig up this new evo item that can only be acquired from randomly digging it up

a mere 3 hours with nothing to show for it, what a good time!

Wait till you actually want to use it

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    So Legends Arceus is like the most distracting game ever....as in: I need to do this thin...OH what is that over there??!?!?

I can't walk two steps before something distracts me and I have to go check it out. It takes me hours to do a story quest lol.

So many times have I gone "ok lets just catch a few of these to max out their pokedex real quick". And next thing I know I've come across 3 new pokes each with reasonable ways to max out their pokedex so I start catching them too and now I'm halfway across the map and none of them are actually maxed out yet haha.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Well, spent the day tracking down satchels of some random people who had died (?) in the extreme south of the map.
    And then approached the first alpha from behind the mountain because it was the quickest way back to camp, and I was running out of inventory space, as well as nearing the level cap for my starter.

I'm not sure how the Nintendo internet subscription interacts with the satchels.
    I don't have the sub.

If you aren't online it just spawns in satchels for you from NPCs randomly instead of player satchels.

Terrendos wrote: »
    Does the Favorite Food thing matter at all? I just throw berries and it seems to work every time, so what's the point of throwing the other ones?

I believe so. I've definitely had some that just wanted nothing to do with the food I threw until I tried a different one. But it also seems like most like Oran berries

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Terrendos wrote: »

I believe so. I've definitely had some that just wanted nothing to do with the food I threw until I tried a different one. But it also seems like most like Oran berries

I have also had some that will eat a food you throw once and then not like it and not eat more of the same. Unless you throw one they do like then they start eating again.

This was in my twitter timeline today and I am just so confused

Do people really not just pick the cutest/coolest starter? :P (seriously, these games are piss easy.. you could win with a team of bidoofs if you trained them right)

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Fandom was a mistake

God, thinking about winning with "a team of bidoofs" is making me want to go back to Shield and finally just do my team of food pokemon that I wanted to do :P (cuz I mean, who doesn't want to fight with an ice cream cone and a blob of whipped cream and an apple pie?)

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I never really played Pokémon before Arceus, so I just looked up their final evolution, and picked my starter based on which final looked the best.

Dirty wrote: »
    I never really played Pokémon before Arceus, so I just looked up their final evolution, and picked my starter based on which final looked the best.

This is 100% the correct way to play :3

edited February 2022
    So Legends Arceus is like the most distracting game ever....as in: I need to do this thin...OH what is that over there??!?!?

I can't walk two steps before something distracts me and I have to go check it out. It takes me hours to do a story quest lol.

So many times have I gone "ok lets just catch a few of these to max out their pokedex real quick". And next thing I know I've come across 3 new pokes each with reasonable ways to max out their pokedex so I start catching them too and now I'm halfway across the map and none of them are actually maxed out yet haha.

A lot of the basic Pokemon can be maxed on catch just by feeding them 5 or so berries

King Riptor on
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

There have been a lot of those over the past few years...Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Ghost of Tsushima...

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    I picked the samurai seal because the game is set in old-timey not-Japan and I'm so sorry if I let anyone down.

A lot of the basic Pokemon can be maxed on catch just by feeding them 5 or so berries

oh yea those are my favs when I see them.

Although sometimes the amount you need to feed them is insane for no reason.

I ran into a lickitung last night and got excited when I saw the feed category.

And then I saw the numbers. It was like 1-10-20-40-60.

Yea I'm not sitting there for that especially not for only 5 ranks!

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I don't have Arceus but the starters for it are such a wild ride. Cyndaquil is the coolest of the starters. Dewott is the coolest middle evolution by far. And I like decidueye best for the final evolutions.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Your new mission Arceus havers, is to find me the smallest Pokémon you can and show it to me. I will draw the winning tiny Pokémon if you like.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Good luck finding a Joltik to scale...?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular

I don't have the sub.

If you aren't online it just spawns in satchels for you from NPCs randomly instead of player satchels.

I think if you're online but don't have a subscription it does this. I also think if you don't have a subscription nobody will ever return your satchels.

I don't have the sub.

I think if you're online but don't have a subscription it does this. I also think if you don't have a subscription nobody will ever return your satchels.

I don't think it lets you go online in the game without a subscription.

I was in the menu the other day and went to switch online from on to off and it went straight to a screen telling me I needed to subscribe for that.

So regardless of being online I think the game is just considered offline unless you have the sub.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Arceus has become the second best selling Switch game during launch week in Japan (1.43 million according to Famitsu, this doesn't include digital copies). Only beaten by Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Same story in the UK. Will probably be the same Stateside too if I were to hazard a guess.

edit- Even when you combine the sales numbers for both versions of previous Pokemon Switch games it still comes in second.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

I don't have the sub.

Well, when does it reward you with Merit points if you have the sub?
    Is it when the other player acknowledges the satchel returned?
    Cause my Merit points were immediate.

But yeah, I was thinking mine were bots, because the satchels weren't near alphas.
    They were just in random spots.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Oddly enough I have a Sub and I am connected to the internet in game, but all my satchels have been seemingly Bot names. However when someone picks up my satchel it shows a proper player name. It doesn't make much sense to me, but as long as I still get those Merits I guess it doesn't really matter.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited February 2022

I don't have the sub.

But yeah, I was thinking mine were bots, because the satchels weren't near alphas.

It's immediate regardless. I have online and I still get my points immediately on clicking the bags (or at least, the menu option to get them lights up with a [!] right away :P)

Warlock82 on
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
  • MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular

I don't have the sub.

I don't know about you, but all of my deaths have come from getting turned around in spacetime distortions or fall damage, neither of which would be near Alphas.

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I picked Rowlet because ghost archer is really cool…
    Oh a fighting type now are you?? Fine.

I tried a spacetime rift for the first time. I went to the spot on the map but it didn’t seem all that different other than the vortexy visuals… until the message popped up that the rift was open and then things got a bit wild.

This game is fun.

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    why am working so hard surveying when i could simply be bagan and make a cool 4mil teaching people how to pack their satchels

Apparently a fairly accurate leak from a bit ago had some Arceus dlc rumors.
    It will have Megas and add 150 odd pokemon. Megas with no abilities sounds weird though.

edited February 2022
    I advanced a little in the forth area last night before bed. Special riding pokemon you get there is super cool (and not one that was spoiled by trailers) and I'm glad I got that far before doing more exploring/surveying :3

Also for whatever reason I decided to perfect the Magikarp entry of the pokedex. Man, who would have throught 100 splashes was the easier part? (seriously, magikarp vs magikarp battle got me to like 80 alone) Fuck you and your killing FOURTY Magikarp.

Oh, and I died for the first time T_T I thought I had an anti-dying charm but I guess maybe I accidentally put it away or maybe used it without realizing? I dunno. Someone needs to go get my satchel tho, I want my nugget and ultra balls back plz

Warlock82 on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    It will have Megas and add 150 odd pokemon. Megas with no abilities sounds weird though.
    Pokemon Let's Go already had Mega evolutions without abilities

• KandenKanden Registered User regular
    I found it very suspicious that almost all of the major character were wearing very suspiciously large bracelets. They looked like mega bracelets to me

Also, finished the pokedex research! 65 hours to get a full living dex, all the unowns, and research them all to rank 10+, couple tips as you're going, if you see a baby pokemon (especially bonsly) wandering around toss it a couple berries, those ones are an absolute pain to research stuffing them full of berries is the quickest way, but most are also rare spawns so kinda a pain to find. Once you've got enough bag space highly recommend just buying ingredients and making jet balls, I've almost completely switched over to using them they're so good, and for catching from battles deffo grab the alpha Torterra out in crimson mirelands, sleeping powder is very nice. Completing the dex isn't quite enough to get you to 10 stars either, so still have more to do I guess.

Spoilers for endgame rewards
    Catching them all gets you a cool fight with Arceus, deffo worth doing, researching them all gets you a shiny charm, not sure what 10 stars does yet.

edited February 2022
    My goals based on Kanden's research(thank you again!)
    Catch them all and do the arceus fight. Just to see the fight and whatever extra story bits it gives. But definitely not trying to max out the pokedex. It also doesn't look like the last few ranks of stars do very much so I probably won't be trying so hard to level them up as much. And rank 8 looks like the last one that gives you any pokeball types.

And 6 and 7 are probably the last ranks with pokeball types I care about. So since I'm at 5 I can probably just stick to catching now and I'll make my way to 7 naturally from here.

DemonStacey on
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    For my first playthrough in Arceus I've been doing a nuzlocke thingy.

1. If a pokemon faints, it's gone.
    2. If the player character faints, I lose.
    3. No using forced catches except my starter. (There aren't a lot but there are a few points in the game it seems where you're forced to catch a pokemon.
    4. Can only catch and use the first pokemon I see in any named area in the various regions. (So like 'Aspiration Hill,' etc.) Failing to catch said pokemon means I get no usable pokemon for that area. I can catch as many pokemon as I want after that, but I can't use them in fights. I can use them for quests though if I have to use one.
    5. If the pokemon I first see in a zone is a pokemon I've already caught and can use, or the evolution of a pokemon I've caught and can use, I can defer on catching a pokemon till I see one I can't use yet. (Even if I've already lost the original.)
    6. Items are fair game.
    7. Shinies might be fair game, I've not found any except for the request one.
    8. Try not to grind or over level. (It's harder to tell if you are or not in this game as compared to a more traditional pokemon game.)

Just met Sneasler, and I'm down to about 12 usable pokemon. Currently using an Ursaluna, (who is by far my strongest pokemon) Cherrim, Chimecho, Basculegion, Golbat, and Mothim. (I will totally switch out the golbat and Mothim if/when I get some better replacements.

This game has a pretty great pokemon roster... which means I've had to bury so many rad pokemon.