As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Eee PC: anyone have one?

joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
getting sick and tired of my behemoth laptop, I spied one of these in the store the other day. Small, and light weight. Fantastic. So my question is; Is it practical? is the keyboard workable? How goes it with battery life? What about file compatability? So anyone out there with a Eee PC?

(i looked for an Eee PC thread, but couldn't find one. My search-fu could be lacking though. Mods feel free to scrap this if you wish)

joshua1 on

• GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't own one but the wiki article on it seems quite informative.

You have to take into consideration its tiny keyboard (which if I remember correctly reviewers did complain about) and its minuscule 7" screen with a resolution of 800x480.

If you can go to a store that allows you to use it then give it a go, my local pc world has various pc's and laptops on display that you can play around with.

Also, you're limited application wise unless you want to familiarise yourself with apt-get.
    I suppose you could install windows on it, but you wouldn't be left for much breathing room unless you got the highest end eeepc model. (lower end model memory and the SSD is soldered on)

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • LoafgoatLoafgoat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    As far as lack of space goes sd cards are becoming quite affordable.

8gb for $31
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211180

Sure you could find a better deal if you looked around more.

Loafgoat on
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I am thinking of getting on this summer. I hate laptops, but maybe what I hate is being dependant on a laptop as my only computer. That's no longer an issue, so it WOULD be convenient to have a computer I could take with me to school that doesn't weigh as much as a textbook. And damn are they ever cheap. I have long thin fingers so the keyboard won't bother me too much, and as it is I have been browsing the internet on my cell phone, so the screen size would be a dramatic improvement.

Edit: Oh my that thing can run beryl. I wasn't expecting that.

If the hardest thing i have to do is modify xorg.conf, it's no big thang.

Ah, NO ALPHA BLENDING WHY!!!!!

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This thing looks really attractive for class-use. I always kind of thought laptops were a bit too large for what I wanted - and a bit too expensive.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Guy at work got one, we had a pretty good play with it yesterday.

6gb of the 8gb is taken up by the OS and preloaded apps.
    keyboard is small and takes a bit of getting used to.
    We cracked it open and put 2gb of ram into it, made a pretty noticeable improvement.

He got it because he is going on a trip to japan for 3 months and needed something small that could be used to sent/receive email, IM, update his blog, store photos and just general interbuts use.

It seems perfect for what he needs it for.

noobert on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    how easy is it to upgrade the ram in these? its so cheap I was thinking of picking up the cheap model, putting a SD card in it, and upgrading the ram (512 just dosent seem like it would be enough).....

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    how easy is it to upgrade the ram in these? its so cheap I was thinking of picking up the cheap model, putting a SD card in it, and upgrading the ram (512 just dosent seem like it would be enough).....

On the model he had, we just ripped off the "warranty void if removed" sticker (it's illegal to enforce in Australia), opened it up, pulled out the 512mb dimm and connected the 2gb.

Simple.

However with some of the cheaper models (this one was $499 AUD) i believe the chip is soldered in.

noobert on
    edited February 2008
    oh... I was thinking of getting the cheaper one.... 300$ for 4 gb is pretty sweet, but 400$ just to expand it to 8 is not the best idea for my needs.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    noobert wrote: »

On the model he had, we just ripped off the "warranty void if removed" sticker (it's illegal to enforce in Australia), opened it up, pulled out the 512mb dimm and connected the 2gb.

Asus has already said it was pretty much a 'mistake' anyways:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eeepc#Criticism
    A controversy over a "warranty void if removed" sticker on the RAM access cover panel has prompted ASUS to release a statement clarifying the matter, stating that "merely breaking or removing this kind of seal will not void the ASUS Limited Warranty" (emphasis is original). Since then, ASUS has offered to replace the labels with ones specifying merely that ASUS will not be held "responsible for the damage caused by improper hardware change." Furthermore, ASUS altered their Limited Warranty to "eliminate any provision stating that the ASUS Limited Warranty will be voided simply because the product is serviced by a non-ASUS-approved service facility, or if non-ASUS-approved components or software are installed or used."

Recoil42 on
  • DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I should be ordering one of the 4GB models next week along with RAM and an 4GB or 8GB SD card. There are a variety of video reviews for the thing on Youtube. It'll be good for productivity on the go, but any kind of gaming with it will require flashing the bios, installing user-made video updates, and running your game(s) of choice off an external drive.

It's also helpful to note that if you intend to install XP on it, there are websites that'll tell you how to do it, and the manual itself also comes with the proper instructions on installing and getting XP optimized.

Doronron on
  • LachLach Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm holding out for a slightly larger, higher res. screen. Like most people I'd probably upgrade the RAM to 2 GB and augment the storage with an SD card.

I'm still not sure if I'd put Windows on it. I think I'd want to experiment with Linux for a while.

Lach on
    edited February 2008
    So if I want to upgrade the ram on the cheaper one, it would require soldering? No thanks Ill wait on a bigger screen/400$ price tag :\

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2008
    The 4GB model currently available has a standard RAM setup -- no soldering required. It's only the lower end 2GB model that has soldered in RAM.

I know there's an 8GB SSD/1GB RAM model available, but the last time I checked, they were hard to find. Don't know when the 10 inch model will be coming out, though.

Doronron on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I just want a longer lasting battery.
    :(

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I think they're preparing one. Or was that for the CloudBook...

yalborap on
    edited February 2008
    I just want something with a really long battery life.

Improvolone on
    edited February 2008
    So, my ex just bought one. She was looking for a new laptop, I suggested the Eee to her offhand, and she really took to it -- she's a french + education major, so she only uses her current laptop for typing, msn, and surfing the web. It's tiny, so she can fit it in her bag, rather than lugging a laptop case around the place, and as well, being a girly girl, the combination of it being available in pink and white factored in surprisingly large.

Should have impressions in by the end of the week. :)

Recoil42 on
    edited February 2008
    Cool. Get those impressions in before Friday, please. I plan on ordering one over the weekend. :P

Doronron on
  • NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    yalborap wrote: »

I think they're preparing one. Or was that for the CloudBook...

The CloudBook is supposed to have five hours of battery life. It's currently scheduled to be released for sale on Feb. 15.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    I've always wanted to pick up an ultrportable as opposed to a conventional laptop, and the EEE's low price is edging me along in that route considerably.

I would probably boot XP though.

I look forward to your impressions, Recoil.

Einhander on
    edited February 2008
    XP shouldn't be a problem on this. The manual provides instructions on how to install and optimize XP on the Asus.

Unfortunately, I can no longer find the link to the PDF manuals available directly from Asus Support.

Doronron on
  • FatmanGamesFatmanGames Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Related: Anyone getting a CloudBook?

FatmanGames on
  • CylaranaCylarana Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm getting either this or a cloudbook with my tax return. Waiting for more opinions!

Cylarana on
    edited February 2008
    The cloudbook has supposedly sold out already.

Improvolone on
  • NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Given that it's not on sale yet, I find that highly unlikely.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
    edited February 2008
    The problem with the cloudbook is its touchpad.

everex_cloudbook_CE1200V.jpg

See it?
    Top right, near the hinge, about the size of your thumb.

Yeah.

Recoil42 on
    edited February 2008
    I like the HD space on the cloudbook, but the rest of its specs indistinguishable from the EEE, and I find the case design a little awkard.

Here's a forum I've been reading through on EEE PC ins and outs: http://forum.eeeuser.com/

It's got some useful information on general use and some in depth stuff on software and hardware configuration.

Doronron on
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've heard rumors that the cloudbook is being shipped to developers with a touch screen. I think that little gap between the top and the bottom could be used to hold it while you're using it like a tablet.

Uncle Long on
    edited February 2008
    Uncle Long wrote: »
    I've heard rumors that the cloudbook is being shipped to developers with a touch screen. I think that little gap between the top and the bottom could be used to hold it while you're using it like a tablet.

Doubt it, or they would have just used a pivot hinge. As it is, that hinge definitely won't fold backwards.

I think it's just a design decision, I assume the bulge at the top of the keyboard, for which the gap accommodates, is where the battery is stored.

Recoil42 on
  • waterloggedwaterlogged Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I love my eee PC. Having linux is great for work, provided you get out of the simplified desktop. It's a fully functional laptop and easy to lug around.

The only issue is storage space, but really how much do you need? If you have a desktop this isn't an issue.

waterlogged on
    Democrat that will switch parties and turn red if Clinton is nominated.:P[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CylaranaCylarana Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think I'll get an Eee, up the RAM, mount an SD card, switch to XP and use it for retro gaming (Civ II here I come!) and an ultraportable word processor.

Cylarana on
    edited February 2008
    I'm trying to ignore the idea that it could be an XCOM on the go machine. I'll be buying one of these sometime today, along with 2GB RAM, 8GB SD Card, and an external DVD drive for software installation.

EDIT: And one EEE PC ordered. Should be seeing it early next week.

Doronron on
    edited February 2008
    You guys are pushing me over the edge. I want one!

Lach on
    edited February 2008
    Check out the Youtube reviews. They're pretty cool. I'll be playing with mine next monday or tuesday. Already got all the necessary software lined up for installation!

Doronron on
    edited February 2008
    Oh boy,

Eee + WC3?!

Edit: Possibly fake :/

Lach on
    edited February 2008
    Not sure. There are several videos showing (Old)blivion, UT, AoE2, Morrowind, and others. My understanding is that this requires the BIOS flash that brings the CPU back up to 900MHz, which is available off the Asus support page.

That and a handy iPod, SD card, or something for space requirements...

Doronron on
    edited February 2008
    So what are the chances of a drastically improved Eee anytime soon?

Especially in screen size or battery life.

Lach on
    edited February 2008
    They're supposed to put out a 10 inch model later this year -- don't know when, though. I've heard nothng about improved batteries.

Doronron on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • waterloggedwaterlogged Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Lach wrote: »
    So what are the chances of a drastically improved Eee anytime soon?

Especially in screen size or battery life.

No word on battery life, though having a larger screen would hurt that. Larger screen later this year.

It's great as is now though.

waterlogged on
    Democrat that will switch parties and turn red if Clinton is nominated.:P[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.