As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Final Fantasy]: My Way!

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    e7znxbsctp9x.png

k1zw4a0zpehk.png

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Oh............ oh the two arguable protags of FF6 are named CELES and TERRA.

and i never got the joke there until now.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Sadly, that is probably accidental. Terra’s name in the Japanese script is Tina. Terra was chosen to get a name that was as unusual to an English speaker as Tina is to a Japanese speaker.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

......there's a joke there?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Sadly, that is probably accidental. Terra’s name in the Japanese script is Tina. Terra was chosen to get a name that was as unusual to an English speaker as Tina is to a Japanese speaker.

i know, it's all thanks to Ted Woolsey.
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Celes ==> Celestial
    Terra ==> like earth

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Celes ==> Celestial
    Terra ==> like earth

Oh...... Phoenix down

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • see317see317 Registered User regular

Celes ==> Celestial
    Terra ==> like earth

Oh...... Phoenix down

We should all appreciate clever word play when we can get it.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Does that mean Squeenix looked at Woolsey's FF6 translation to come up with Aerith (earth)?

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Is the remastered FF8 OK? I kind of like the original graphics.

Once you adjust I really didn't notice, it looks nice. And here's an example of the mods at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmasyTTpvlc

Looks pretty good but stretched 16:9 is not acceptable. Draw and quarter for that youtuber.

This also makes the "remaster" name look funny when the remastering here is 99% community work.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Where's the demaster mod to make them look like FFVII characters?
    I'm serious, I want it.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I still think 8 is the best looking of the 3 PS1 mainline FF games. Not only did it have a great art direction but I like that they went with a relatively realistic look and proportion for the characters compared to 7 and 9.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Where's the demaster mod to make them look like FFVII characters?
    I'm serious, I want it.

Don't you mean where is the ff8 pixel remaster?

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    I still think 8 is the best looking of the 3 PS1 mainline FF games. Not only did it have a great art direction but I like that they went with a relatively realistic look and proportion for the characters compared to 7 and 9.

The reflexive swerve away from realistic characters back to the SD look permanently killed FF9 for me. On top of taking the cutesy design a step too far and also making the whole world, even the dialogue, presented in that cutesy way, every serious moment the game attempts just never works for me because everybody looks like a dang kids cartoon or caricature or something.

It only worked in FF7 because everybody knew the map models were an abstraction, but we got to see realistic models in the cutscenes and battle mode. It wasn't a design theme, it was a necessity of early work with 3D models for Square. If they could've managed something like the battle models in the map mode so that the models could read properly on those crappy CRT screens, they would've done it.

I love the level of detail in FF9 design, the world concept is great, the presentation is great, but it's an impossible barrier for me to take the story seriously with the obnoxiously cutesy, kawaii approach to everything. It feels like, I dunno, if they made a version of Lord of the Rings with lousy off-brand versions of the Muppets.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    I'm glad I have no problem taking the muppets seriously, or else I might have disliked a good RPG!

Calling it a reflexive swerve like it wasn't an extremely deliberate and considered direction choice is a strange choice of words.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I mean,I watch and enjoy anime, etc, so "this didn't look real" has never been a blocker for me :D

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Yeah, FF9 was an intentional homage to the SNES Final Fantasies, which is why you have the chibi character models and much more fantasy setting.

It was supposed to be a last hurrah sort of thing before Final Fantasy would evolve into something else.

• Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    I find FF9's style super endearing, and it fits perfectly well with the fanciful, fairy-tale like vibe it's going for.

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Oh God. Will they just let go of the four fiends? It is as bad as using crystals for everything.
    They just keep doing the same thing over and over. They ran the four fiends into the ground in FF9.

Hard disagree. I think they shouldn't just reuse the four fiends from FFI all the time though, I feel like "the bad guy has four lieutenants, who have an elemental theme" leaves a lot of room for coming up with new variations. Like, the new four fiends in FFIV were cool. However, since Stranger is specifically about FFI, Garland, and Chaos, it would be weird not to have those four in there.

FF9 is full of callbacks and homage to the 1-5 era of the Final Fantasy series, though. Like, even by FF standards it's a lot. It was intentional, and for what that game was doing, I didn't think there was anything wrong with it there.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Final Fantasy (8) Status: Squall Graduate mercenary school at 17 and is now officially an elite mercenary. This is normal an good.

oucnjtaedktg.png
    Love that this dude who ALSO graduated gets this advice.

u3wz7ureaotb.png
    "Please ignore what others say about this dangerous unstable magic you use. it's perfectly safe and well understood. It will not wipe your memories permanently and cause space madness. Honest."

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Not too much of a spoiler to say that other graduate does turn up later, keep an eye out for him.

Not too much of a spoiler to say that other graduate does turn up later, keep an eye out for him.

Hell yeah!

I love the multiple warnings about GFs they throw in there that I did not pick up at all as a small child playing this game for the first time

Steam profile
    kime wrote: »
    I love the multiple warnings about GFs they throw in there that I did not pick up at all as a small child playing this game for the first time

or myself as a teenager.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    I never played FF8 as a kid, was gonna dive into it tonight. I made it to this screen:

r675daudo0d4.jpg

and then I was like... Uhh, maybe I'll just watch a playthrough instead.

It's not that I doubt that it all makes sense if you are patient and try to learn its systems... I just don't want to.

I had to laugh because this exact screen turned me off playing FF8 multiple times before I finally powered through. Honestly it isn't remotely as complicated as it looks. It's all the damn abbreviations and numbers in your face all at once is overwhelming.

So here's the short version. In FF8 magic is treated like items. So for instance I can have 20 Firaga in stock. If I cast Firaga once then I'll have 19. But I can also "junction" my Firaga to a stat of my choosing, which will make that stat go up. For example I could junction it to Str (strength) which would boost my physical attack power. You can think of it as equipping an item to boost your stats, except here you are equipping magic spells. The more of a magic spell you have in stock, the higher the stat boost will be (e.g. 100 Firaga will make you a lot stronger than 25 Firaga). Also some spells provide a bigger boost than others (1 Ultima will boost a stat more than 1 Firaga, for example).

GF's will give you the ability to equip spells to certain stats, so the GF's you have equipped will determine which stats you can boost with magic.

There is an option to have the game do all this automatically for you, but personally I had a lot of fun experimenting with different spells on different stats to get the highest numbers. You can really break the game right in half with this system.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I never played FF8 as a kid, was gonna dive into it tonight. I made it to this screen:

r675daudo0d4.jpg

It's not that I doubt that it all makes sense if you are patient and try to learn its systems... I just don't want to.

I had to laugh because this exact screen turned me off playing FF8 multiple times before I finally powered through. Honestly it isn't remotely as complicated as it looks. It's all the damn abbreviations and numbers in your face all at once is overwhelming.

So here's the short version. In FF8 magic is treated like items. So for instance I can have 20 Firaga in stock. If I cast Firaga once then I'll have 19. But I can also "junction" my Firaga to a stat of my choosing, which will make that stat go up. For example I could junction it to Str (strength) which would boost my physical attack power. You can think of it as equipping an item to boost your stats, except here you are equipping magic spells. The more of a magic spell you have in stock, the higher the stat boost will be (e.g. 100 Firaga will make you a lot stronger than 25 Firaga). Also some spells provide a bigger boost than others (1 Ultima will boost a stat more than 1 Firaga, for example).

GF's will give you the ability to equip spells to certain stats, so the GF's you have equipped will determine which stats you can boost with magic.

There is an option to have the game do all this automatically for you, but personally I had a lot of fun experimenting with different spells on different stats to get the highest numbers. You can really break the game right in half with this system.

VIII is an interesting case where a level 1 run is in fact significantly easier because of how enemies scale iirc.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    I'm in Timber and i finally have hit the critical mass of cards such that i can win at Triple Triad now.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm in Timber and i finally have hit the critical mass of cards such that i can win at Triple Triad now.
    Once you've got 2 GF cards or better (I think Ifrit and Diablo are the ones you can get first) you can play just about anyone to a draw at worst.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    klemming wrote: »
    Once you've got 2 GF cards or better (I think Ifrit and Diablo are the ones you can get first) you can play just about anyone to a draw at worst.

aye! that helps me a lot.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Bruh you should have ifrit, diablos, quistis, mog, and maybe zell (don't remember if his mom has it that early or not). Either way though, make sure when you go to the tomb that you get the brothers GF because it has good abilities, but you also get both of their cards which are basically top tier.

Enigmedic wrote: »
    Bruh you should have ifrit, diablos, quistis, mog, and maybe zell (don't remember if his mom has it that early or not). Either way though, make sure when you go to the tomb that you get the brothers GF because it has good abilities, but you also get both of their cards which are basically top tier.

Where do you get the Quistis and Mog cards?

(Also plz no bruhs to me.)

Quistis is from some people in the cafeteria in the garden, but they don't play it often so it takes a few games

Steam profile
    kime wrote: »
    Quistis is from some people in the cafeteria in the garden, but they don't play it often so it takes a few games

Ahhh, Trepe Groupie #1. of course.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited February 2022

r675daudo0d4.jpg

Just popping in to say that whoever thought that '<<ST-A/D < EL A/D' was an effective way at delivering any kind of useful information would very much benefit from taking a technical writing course

Javen on
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    mog is from the kid always running in the circle inside the garden

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    I wonder if they could fit more useful information in there with Japanese characters and the bad english abbreviation was due to text field size limits and formatting issues, or if that was using useless English abbreviations in the Japanese version too

For reference for people who haven't played 8, that particular line of gibberish is trying to say move the cursor off the screen to the left once to see ankther page with elemental attack/defense junctions, and move it off the screen to the left again to see a third page with status effect attack/defense junctions.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I was completely blindsided by the GF Memory reveal when I played as a teen so clearly reading and story comprehension wasn't at the top of my skills.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I was completely blindsided by the GF Memory reveal when I played as a teen so clearly reading and story comprehension wasn't at the top of my skills.

Honestly the memory part isn't what got me, because I don't think that's really meaningful to the narrative. Just the overwrought explanation for what I DID find dumb
    It's less 'GFs cause memory loss????' and more 'your entire party is from the same orphanage and despite gradually coming together over the course of many missions and tribulations due to various circumstances and events, AND the person you thought was the villain was there too, and the reason that you don't remember and we're treating this like a reveal is because of the GF thing' is what broke me a little. It's just such an unnecessary part of the story that didn't really enhance anything.

I wonder if they could fit more useful information in there with Japanese characters and the bad english abbreviation was due to text field size limits and formatting issues, or if that was using useless English abbreviations in the Japanese version too

For reference for people who haven't played 8, that particular line of gibberish is trying to say move the cursor off the screen to the left once to see ankther page with elemental attack/defense junctions, and move it off the screen to the left again to see a third page with status effect attack/defense junctions.

It's somewhat better.

show

You can actually find 攻防 in the dictonary as "attack and defense", but it does still feel kind of abbreviated. Still the abbreviation works better when the characters do carry a relatively narrow range of meanings compared to two letters.

Still using S for "Status" though.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    I think when I first played, I managed to even miss the overt stuff that GFs cause memory loss, so the
    you're all from the same orphanage but you forgot
    thing made absolutely no sense

This discussion has been closed.