As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The thread for things with more/less than two legs (NSF ento/arachno/ophidiophobes)

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    If I was going to get any reptile it would be a leopard gecko. Look at that fuckin' thing.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    If I was going to get any reptile it would be a leopard gecko. Look at that fuckin' thing.

Leopard geckos are great lizards, but that is not a leopard gecko.
    Leopards don't have the toe pads to allow them to climb glass like that.

I'd guess it's some morph of a Tokay gecko, but that's just a guess based on a 30 second clip with no scale.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Oh okay. I'm not very knowledgeable on geckos. I just know they're too freaking cute.

• Options
    Oh okay. I'm not very knowledgeable on geckos. I just know they're too freaking cute.

Yeah, learning random facts about spiders is what I come to this thread for. Figure I can toss some random facts about stuff when I know it.
    Tokay's get a reputation as being bitey and loud, and also get larger than Leopards do.

But they're still cute, even if they can do a number on your fingers.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvnHz2RWTVw

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    We have native wild western banded geckos here and they are cute as hell.
    Look at this tiny dinosaur motherfucker!
    shutterstock_573841774.jpg

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Andy Joe wrote: »

It has anime eyes, so it's fitting that the tweet is from Japan.

To me it seemed like it was watching something it wanted to eat.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I remember the teeny little wall geckos that used to patrol the garden when I was a little kid in Bahrain. They were so damb fast!

The Bahrainis disliked them for no reason I ever understood, considering the island is so very well supplied with big black flies, large and aggressive mosquitos and other such insects. My parents were happy to encourage them.

• Options
    I was a fan of the geckos in South Africa except for all the poop they used to leave all over my bed

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Going through and seeing if any of the pictures I took of my irminia were decent (They weren't), I found this gem from the shop.

Neoholothele incei "Gold"
    HLO3HmP.jpeg

That lil spode is a fuckin beaut

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

the Japanese literally translates to "want to eat" so yep I'd say that's a safe bet

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022

the Japanese literally translates to "want to eat" so yep I'd say that's a safe bet

Thank God you were here, I was teaching a seminar.
    see317 wrote: »

Leopard geckos are great lizards, but that is not a leopard gecko.
    Leopards don't have the toe pads to allow them to climb glass like that.

I'd guess it's some morph of a Tokay gecko, but that's just a guess based on a 30 second clip with no scale.

You are correct, based on the hashtags, which are "#tokei" and "#tokeiyamori", yamori being Japanese for "gecko".

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited January 2022

We can't all speak Japanese, but "Cute animal wants a treat" is pretty much universal.

see317 on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Found this cutie hiding in a carton of milk boxes. She was rather upset that I was moving her home. I relocated her to my front entryway where it's not too cold but she can find lots of nooks to make a new home.

6ls3ubb673s1.jpg

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular

Answer is Yes.

(Onychophora, aka a Velvet Worm)

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Eventful week for my spids, three molts in the last few days. Including the N. tripepii which I haven't seen in forever because it buried itself. Still haven't seen it, but it chucked its old exuvium out of its burrow some time last night so I at least know it's still alive.

Also recently fed my P. cambridgei for the first time since it molted last week, and it came out of its hide to chase the cricket which is the first time I've properly seen it in a while. And I think it might be time to rehouse it.

ttgfr0j4hd3z.jpg

• Options
    Lotta really entitled people up in arms about the gub'ment trying to tell them what species they can import and move around the states all willy nilly, holy shit.

Invasive species are a thing, y'all! We should definitely make determinations about species before they get here! Otherwise you just get burms in Florida again.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Yeah for real
    There's very good reason live animal and plant shipping is highly controlled

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    But the Needle snakes would solve all those problems!

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that's the beauty of it, in the winter the gorillas will all freeze to death!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Funny how I've only heard about this SUPER SECRET ATTEMPT TO BAN PET KEEPING from

USark

And

One youtuber, linking to the USark page.

The entirety of the ammendment sounds reasonable af, if you're trying to prevent importation of species before you've been able to determine ecological impact. And also has carevouts to exempt already commonly imported and transported species, AND has a delay of a year before taking effect, specifically to address these common species.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I would assume the Anti-Invasive Giant Spiders Act would get broad bipartisan support regardless of whether or not it was a sensible law. The campaign ads really write themselves.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I would assume the Anti-Invasive Giant Spiders Act would get broad bipartisan support regardless of whether or not it was a sensible law. The campaign ads really write themselves.

All you need are a couple pictures of those trees covered in webbing and a Jeff Daniels commercial or two, and the spodes wouldn't stand a chance.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Also, it would obviously be the Anti-Arachnoid Acclimation Act

Really hit the nail on the head.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    I got another Brachypelma because, well, I couldn't figure out what it was exactly, so I had to take it home

LVDQrE4.jpg

It could be another emilia, but the coloration looks wrong for that. And googling to compare specimens is a fool's errand for brachys, thanks to near constant misidentification. I'll just need to see after the next molt.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Oh I know what that is.
    It's a Tarantula.

• Options
    Spiders are cool

https://youtu.be/ktWWfyZU9g0

Used to see bark spiders, like the first ones in this video but bigger, when I lived in RSA. They would run lines of silk across the roads at night, which were strong enough that if you drove into them they would stretch like an elastic band for quite a bit before breaking. Also at roughly the height of the people on the second row of the game viewer which made for much hilarity every time as I would slowly clothesline the volunteers in my car.

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    This one was hanging out in either my pajamas or blankets, and that shit don't fly.
    pfmix2pe9l27.jpg
    She's got a pretty coppery racing stripe!

Before dumping her outside, I told her to eat many bugs, and stay out of my stuff.

I'm a bit worried about what skittery thing is going to make an appearance tomorrow; yesterday, a water bug appeared on my shoulder. I guess I did see a house centipede (on reflection, probably a silverfish, agh) the day before when cleaning, but I am way more aware of the current bug entente in my house -- the spider, they are behind on rent -- rent being paid in the form of pest control.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    That's pretty much a textbook Parson's spider.

And obviously it was paying its taxes. I mean, you don't find any other insects in your bed, right?

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    frog

• Options
    Upgrade! I put away a push lawn mower last fall, and by spring I see I have an ant farm tractor!
    0imphrfeaywr.png

Sorry, ladies. If it were up to me I'd let you keep the whole thing, but the city starts writing tickets after a few weeks if I don't keep the front yard mowed.
    1mb7ywqf5xsp.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Did you convince them to leave?

• Options
    Dangerous questions take us to dangerous places

• Options
    Yeah, they booked it out of there pretty quick when I dragged it out of the shed and left it laying sideways on the lawn for a bit. It took me a minute to find a suitable stick so I could hold the lid open and get a picture without getting angry ants all over my hand, and in that time that top tray went from being completely covered with eggs to the few you see remaining. I think they have tunnels underneath the shed and they were just using the battery compartment as a nice dry nursery. I'll be interested to see to what extent they come back between now and next weekend.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I really don't like using crickets as a food source for my Ts, because they're really annoying to catch on account of they can jump, and they smell. So this time I got baby dubia roaches. But I've made a terrible mistake, because they just arrived and oh god they're so cute.

• Options
    I really don't like using crickets as a food source for my Ts, because they're really annoying to catch on account of they can jump, and they smell. So this time I got baby dubia roaches. But I've made a terrible mistake, because they just arrived and oh god they're so cute.

Dubias have some money in them, if you decide to get a colony going. And aren't horribly difficult.

Or loud.

Or smelly.

Like a nice size breeder female you can flip for $2 a piece, here.

• Options
    Yeah they're definitely pricey compared to crickets. I got ~30 baby roaches for like £7 which is crazy when I consider I can get ~150 baby crickets for £3. Crickets just suck so much though, and most of them end up just dying because my Ts can't eat them fast enough.

These are bigger than I was expecting. That combined with being a new type of food has provoked some funny responses from my slings. Lots of cowardly running away, or half curious half scared slapping while they figure out if they can eat it.

• Options
    Yeah they're definitely pricey compared to crickets. I got ~30 baby roaches for like £7 which is crazy when I consider I can get ~150 baby crickets for £3. Crickets just suck so much though, and most of them end up just dying because my Ts can't eat them fast enough.

These are bigger than I was expecting. That combined with being a new type of food has provoked some funny responses from my slings. Lots of cowardly running away, or half curious half scared slapping while they figure out if they can eat it.

I have genuinely never had a T I own or care for at the shop really go for roaches.

I always end up having to fish out five or six cause the T ignores them, they burrow, and then a month later they're like all sitting in the water dish. Like fine fuckers, crickets and meal worms from now on!

• Options
    Yeah the burrowing is annoying. I squished a few heads to stop that happening. I would have got red runners instead because they don't burrow, but nobody seems to sell them small enough.

• Options
    What I'm hearing is that tarantulas are fussy little princesses?