As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The little crystal turtle [Pokémon] is pretty cute.

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Shiny hunting in Arceus is pretty solid. Hunted for like 2 hours just now and got shinies for Golduck, hisuian Voltorb, hisuian Sneasel, Togepi, Mr. Mime, Luxio, and Barboach.

Kanden on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I still can't get over just how much I need this to be a blueprint for the next mainline Pokemon

Like, yes, reintroduce held items and abilities, add back in some more move variety, and perhaps add trainers out in the wild that can aggro you in a similar manner to wild Pokemon

Agile/Strong style I'm neutral on, you could keep that a game specific thing if you want, but it does add some strategy to turn manipulation

But the next mainline Pokemon should play like this

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I was thinking how random trainer battles would work. I figured probably just have random NPCs spawning in and walking routes and paths. Maybe out in the bush looking for pokemon. Not tons of them, but (provided the zones are of similar size to Arceus) a dozen or so. Have them respawn with each load in.

If they wanted to be fancy you could even have different trainers during the night. Hell, it could even be that the try hards come out after dusk.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Trainer spoiler
    One of the three bandits usually respawns each load-in during the post game, good way to grind some cash since they drop nuggets when beaten

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I still can't get over just how much I need this to be a blueprint for the next mainline Pokemon

Like, yes, reintroduce held items and abilities, add back in some more move variety, and perhaps add trainers out in the wild that can aggro you in a similar manner to wild Pokemon

Agile/Strong style I'm neutral on, you could keep that a game specific thing if you want, but it does add some strategy to turn manipulation

But the next mainline Pokemon should play like this

I think for a mainline game we'd lose agile and strong at least in pvp.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    I'd be okay with that

Incidentally, the turn order mechanic devalues Speed in a way that I think is potentially healthy for the game in the long run should they decide to keep it

Right now in competitive play, speed and speed tiers are such a big deal, and I'm sure that competitive players would figure out how much speed you need to regularly double up on X, Y, or Z speed tier but I'd be more than willing to give that a shot (Though, Agile/Strong style would also introduce variables into those speed tiers that would make it more difficult to reach a perfect prediction on that stuff as well)

Maddoc on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    yo the new sleep system is nuts with certain pokemon

since electric moves remove drowsy Rest into an electric attack next turn is a full heal with no drawbacks, I'm using it on my Arcanine with rest and wild charge

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    yeah, the sleep nerf is an enormous buff to Rest, but also sleep has needed rebalancing for like 25 years, so... it's fair.

in other news, just beat the main story, and i appreciate that
    they keep the version difference fluff by letting you choose to side with diamond or pearl.
    but i don't have to buy the entire game again. success!

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Where is this third Bidoof

Also this guard with the wrumple
    If you use your bed to change to nighttime before talking to him a second time, can you force him to get a Dustox?

discrider on
  • Options
    discrider wrote: »

If you use your bed to change to nighttime before talking to him a second time, can you force him to get a Dustox?
    i think he always gets a dustox? it's written into the quest line.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Is there any way to cause a dimension rift to appear or make it more likely or something.

I just want a goddamn Sneasel.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Lucedes wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »

i think he always gets a dustox? it's written into the quest line.

Ah yeah.
    I should pay more attention.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    So i ended up downloading this, because nobody is selling game cartridges and ordering online gives like two week delivery times.
    It's fun.
    I'm sure it will be even more so once i move over the bridge in the first area.
    But i want a decent Eevee to evolve into Umbreon first, but all i keep finding are Mime Jr's.
    15 to 16 hours played, 4 stars, my starter is level 40 as are 2 other pokemon, ad bunch more over 30, i really should move on...
    As soon as i get that Eevee.

Really liking lot of what i'm seeing at this early aera.
    That aesthetics of the village are nice, though the Team Galaxy HQ feels out of place.
    Wonder how the fact that this is an expedition (though clearly Japanese), while there seems to already be a local population will come up in the story, if it gets commented at all.

I really like how people in the village are actually commenting how dangerous pokemon are.
    Yes, the creatures that throw lightning, spit fire, cause earthquakes and have claws sharper than swords, are actually quite dangerous.

Not sure how the enemy/resource respawns work, they seem to be on a timer based on in game clock, but sleeping till morning/night does seem to have little effect.

So far the only thing i don't actually like is how picking one gender presentation changes the gender presentation of the person who acts as your trainer.
    The player and their, friend, companion, rival, not sure, will always form a boy/girl pair, and you can't have two boys, or two girls, going on this adventure.
    It changes absolutely nothing in story, and i assume it was done to not have to design one more character model.
    But it still kinda annoys me.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I only just learned you can just... break the huge boulders that block certain paths.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    I only just learned you can just... break the huge boulders that block certain paths.

Man, considering how much stuff they explain in, sometimes unnecessary, detail I'm amazed they never mentioned this.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Was just thinking about posting that I don't know what the shiny sound is like, but every time something tries to hit me with Hypnosis I jump a little, then BOOM, shiny Kricket

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Your new mission Arceus havers, is to find me the smallest Pokémon you can and show it to me. I will draw the winning tiny Pokémon if you like.

Please find a monster for my pocket.

Seen some fun glitches out there!
    If you get into about to throw a ball mode, you can shimmy up most cliffs. Though I probably won’t get this one I actually like stuff like this!

• Options

i got through the entire story without learning this.
    that would have made a lot of things easier.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I had assumed you'd need a special pokemon for that, like with surfing and digging and shit!

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    they keep the version difference fluff by letting you choose to side with diamond or pearl.
    how do you complete the Pokedex then? Even if you play through a second time you can't trade between 2 accounts with a single copy of the game...

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    After more than 20 hours in game, i am finally at a point where i am happy with my team and almost ready to cross the first river.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I also spent a long time catching eevee at the start to get one with a good nature and became horribly overlevelled

it became pointless when later I (obviously) decided to only build my team with alpha variants

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I didn’t know how to put this concept across so I doodled it. The new in-game canon of Pokémon is they just do this.

voiz8pv1finp.jpeg

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    how do you complete the Pokedex then? Even if you play through a second time you can't trade between 2 accounts with a single copy of the game...
    There's not much difference between the two, just some dialogue and the order you do things, but you can still catch all the pokemon without trading.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I didn’t know how to put this concept across so I doodled it. The new in-game canon of Pokémon is they just do this.

*snip*

I prefer the idea that the scientists don't really understand what's happening with the Pokemon when they go inside Pokeballs, and "they can shrink down" is the explanation they've come up with. It's like before the advent of germ theory in our world, when scientists believed that illness came from "miasma." The reality is a lot more complicated, but they came up with the best explanation they could with what they had at the time.

• Options
    There's not much difference between the two, just some dialogue and the order you do things, but you can still catch all the pokemon without trading.
    good to know. By the context of the comment I thought you could only catch Dialga or Palkia, not both

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Welp I died, guess I have to restart.

Arceus Nuzlocke Round 2: This time starting with Oshawott!

Gundi on
  • Options
    I wish there was a way to skip the tutorial segments. Hackers get on that.

• Options
    Consider that with a sneasler, there must also be a sneasless.

w4ecilt3ga7e.gif

• Options

Wait how? I figured you could but is it just using a guy with rock smash?

• Options

Wait how? I figured you could but is it just using a guy with rock smash?

Same way as anything else. Toss any pokemon at it. Doesn't matter which.

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I think the worst thing about this game is the limited pastures with no way to sort them and not enough ways to search them. I can't search for shinies, alphas, or legendaries. I can't sort the pastures alphabetically or by number. And I need 25 of most pokemon to finish the pokedex but there's only enough room for about 4 of each.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    The thing with those rocks as bad game design is two things.

One, people playing pokemon games have explicitly been trained to mark and note path blocking rocks for later, when you get a pokemon that can break the rock.

And two, they are distinct enough that it looks like a special thing.

Also, this is probably obvious, but after my first failed nuzlocke playthrough the second one is much easier. Like, because of the nature of how pokemon spawn works and pokemon generally spawning in the same place you can try to manipulate which pokemon you see in an area first by beelining towards specific areas on the map. Also I now kind of know which p

Like, I've got an abra! To be fair, I got super lucky and got an eevee on the horseshoe plains in my first playthrough. Which I evolved into an Umbreon. Which died.

Gundi on
  • Options
    I think the worst thing about this game is the limited pastures with no way to sort them and not enough ways to search them. I can't search for shinies, alphas, or legendaries. I can't sort the pastures alphabetically or by number. And I need 25 of most pokemon to finish the pokedex but there's only enough room for about 4 of each.

It is advantageous to release most of your pokemon in this game, as each pokemon you release has a pretty good chance to give you a stat boosting item, with stronger -mons giving better items. You should only really be keeping at most one of each mon.

• Options

It is advantageous to release most of your pokemon in this game, as each pokemon you release has a pretty good chance to give you a stat boosting item, with stronger -mons giving better items. You should only really be keeping at most one of each mon.

This.

I have my last couple of boxes for special pokemon I want to keep (Alphas, shinies, and my team I rotate in and out) then I work from the back filling with 1 of each (or more in the case of one like Evee or different forms) then I just have to look at the first box or 2 each time, move any I want to keep, release the rest.

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Whoo for the grandtree arena nuzlocke pokemon I managed to catch an alpha scyther. Now it's in the 40s so I can't use it for quite awhile, but that's nice!

• Options
    But to fill out the pokedex I need to do things like evolve magikarp 10 times, which means I need to keep 11 magikarp. And sure, after I evolve them I can get rid of 9 of those gyarados, but I haven't gotten around to evolving them yet so there's a bunch filling up my pastures. And there are a bunch of other pokemon that I'm keeping to evolve, but I'm catching more of them faster than I can evolve them.

• Options

It expands to the traditional 32 if you add ine to each box like usual. Sorting options unlock at some point in the story

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Whoo for the grandtree arena nuzlocke pokemon I managed to catch an alpha scyther. Now it's in the 40s so I can't use it for quite awhile, but that's nice!

??
    How many stars did you have when you caught it?

discrider on
  • Options
    The UI really needs improvement.
    Let me mass release pokemon and store everything not favorited with one push of a button.
    And make the rest, pokemon and store selector in the camp separate people instead of one i need to go through the menu to pick what i want to do.