As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[IC] Vampire: The Masquerade - Pyramid Scheme [PBP]

1356

Posts

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    The bouncer waves Louie in without a problem. He seems about to stop Gurstag in his tracks, then sees the second invitation, and his proximity to the other man, then passively waves him through as well.

    After a short descent down a winding flight of stairs, each of you are greeted by a room vaguely lined with the haze of tobacco, vaping, and what seems like a hint of marijuana. No one looks bothered by what anyone else is doing, least of all the small band jamming away with an instrumental melody at the back. The club is half full. The smaller tables either have individuals minding their own business or the occasional couple, while the larger ones are mostly empty, apart from a set near the corner sporting large groups that appear to have arrived together, paying more attention to their own conversation than anything going on around them.

    While waiting at the front, it doesn't take long for a cheerful waitress to approach, sporting a conservative pantsuit. "Good evening, gentlemen, will the two of you be having anything to drink? Are you expecting company?"

    No one immediately stands out in the club, though making out particular faces isn't very easy, given the cloudy interior.

    Nm6G5re.png
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited February 1
    Louie smiles up broadly at the waitress. "An' a pleasant evening to you as well, miss! Smart look ya' got going there, if you don't mind my saying so...would've mistaken you for the owner of the place!"

    Louie nods over in Gurstag's direction. "My friend an' I were to have a meeting here with a potential new business partner. Ain't seen him around anywhere yet, but..."J"...told us to order the scotch. An, if you don't mind, luv, make mine a double!" Louie winks playfully at the waitress. "Throat's a bit dry tonight!"

    mrpaku on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited February 1
    Gurstag looks over the menu board distastefully.
    'Yes, single for me please'
    The less liquid I have to pass the better, he resolves, mentally preparing for having to imbibe rather anything at all.
    The bar does not appear to serve the drink in thimbles.

    discrider on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    "Splendid, have a seat, a waiter will see to you both shortly." The woman motions you over to a nearby two-seater not far from the entrance. It isn't long before a man brings over two shot glasses, one slightly taller than the other to accommodate the double request. "Just let me know if you need anything else." With that said, and a slight bow, the waiter departs, and a moment later, another man in a dark suit brings over a third chair, setting it down at the furthest end before taking a seat. "Unless you two want to give it a go at actually drinking that swill, which I'm sure would be entertaining, we can get right to business. I take it Eleanor sent you both."

    He nonchalantly reaches over to Gurstag's glass, gives it a sip, then sets it back down with a rough swallow. "It's just a social call, so I don't think you needed to bring the heat along, but I'm flattered you thought of it."

    Nm6G5re.png
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Gurstag shrugs.
    "Never hurts to have a backup plan. Although now I'm curious whether it was just sloppy work on my part that spoiled it. And yes, Eleanor sent us."

    He shifts the glass back towards J.
    "Feel free to finish it if you would like."

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Shit. Shit. Shit, Louie hears on refrain in his head, as "J" reveals he is well aware of Gurstag's gun. Alright, concentrate. Just a hiccup. You've got this...

    While the two others are distracted talking, Louie taps the shot glass against the tapletop, raises it to his mouth while he reclines his neck in one rapid motion, and quickly (discretely) pours the scotch over his shoulder and behind the booth at his back. Slamming the shot glass back down on the table, the leathery gentleman wipes the corner of his mouth, and joins the tense conversation.

    "Well, I'm sure I never heard anything about no gun! But then...it's a rough neighborhood, though. Can't fault a lad for being careful, right? An' I gotta say, I love the choice o' venue...an' this band is one o' the better acts I've heard live in awhile." Louie twiddles the empty shot glass absently, leaning forward towards "J" with a casual, but keen interest. "But yer' wanting to get on to business, I suppose? Mister..."J"? How should we address you?"

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    "Thank you, gentlemen, I'll pass. I imagine we all have other tasks to attend to. Best to keep focused." He shifts the glass off towards the edge of the table. "Jonathan will do, I was not given the pleasure of your names in advance." It also doesn't seem to escape his notice that there's only two present, but he doesn't press the issue of the missing party. Nothing new.

    "Getting right to it, I hear your illustrious elder is proposing an accord, blood magic paired with the wonders of modern technology, or so I've been lead to believe. Did she illuminate you to the particulars?" While Jonathan is hardly loud, he hasn't especially lowered his voice. Either he doesn't care if anyone overhears, or has taken steps to ensure no one will, somehow. "I've been told discretion is paramount, as the other elders in your city aren't as keen on the notion... something which doesn't surprise me. From what I know of your local 'politics', magic use isn't exactly popular amongst your peers."

    Another waitress soon approaches, much younger than the hostess, and dressed much less formally. After a beckoning wave from Jonathan, the ponytailed girl leans down and whispers something to his ear. The man frowns as she turns and retreats towards the back. "We should keep this brief, or retire elsewhere before long." The sound of the band seems to have grown faint, as if the sounds of the immediate area have become more pronounced.

    Nm6G5re.png
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Louie’s eyes flash, half with surprise and half embarrassment. “Oh…you mean you didn’t…? Hrrmm, well, sorry about that! Thought my reputation would’ve proceeded itself...”

    The grizzled old vampire puffs out his chest. “Well, Jonathan, I’m Louie Lehran. More commonly known as “Loony” Louie? “The Lunatic?” To half a million eager listeners (on average) for over eight years? Heh?” Louie looks on, hoping to see a spark of recognition in Jonathan’s eyes, but nothing. Sighing softly, Louie slumps down a bit in his chair as he waves his hand over towards Gurstag. “Right then. And my careful friend over here is the Professor, celebrated academic, big brain thinker, etc etc.”

    The leathery vampire nods, measured, as the talk turns to Eleanor. “The Professor here probably followed along with the “particulars” better than I did, but it certainly was “illuminating”.” Louie stares out into the club, a look of puzzled bewilderment on his face. “Sounds like a real game-changer to me!” he finally says. “But, err, can’t help but get the feeling that we’re playing with fire at the same time, you know?”

    Louie adds, thoughtfully, “That being said, think that’s probably why Elenanor honored us with taking point on this Accord. ” Louie says, smirking knowingly over at Gurstag, and then Jonathan. “Y’see, me an’ the Professor, Jonathan, we ain’t stuck in the past like our Elders. We see the changing o’ the tides still coming in. An’ know that we can either get in front of it an’ ride the change, er’ put our heads down an get dragged under.”

    Louie smiles congenially, and watches as the young waitress goes. The chatty vampire stalls at talk of moving the party. “Hmmm…where we you thinking about retiring to? I was enjoying the band, you know….unless, you’re worried about someone else getting wind of “the party?”” Louie pops his head up from the table, and circles his neck back and forth around the club once more, looking for anyone suspicious standing in the crowd. “Well, I was hoping we could be at our leisure, Jonathan, but if you’re concerned, let’s get to just what you brought us here for this evening.”

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    "Sorry, Louie, I haven't had the pleasure, though I don't keep tabs on the radio industry. Your companion's works are probably more in my wheelhouse."

    Jonathan reaches up and makes a snapping gesture to beckon over a host for their bill. "Drinks are on me, though I don't expect that matters much to both of you, unless they serve Type A here. Doubtful." He doesn't expect the humor to land, either.

    "Let's just say I have an awareness of some things that you may not, and you two haven't been particularly careful or low-key. You have company, and who can say for how long they've been following your lead. It's only a matter of time before someone crashes this party, so I would be open to another suggestion, ideally soon."

    You both scour the bar repeatedly, attempting to make out whatever Jonathan is referring to.
    Each of you can make an Auspex+Investigation+Alertness roll, against a difficulty of 3.

    Nm6G5re.png
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited February 6
    Minion roll 3d10t7 for investigation and alertness
    Significantly more dice than I expected though

    investigation and alertness:
    3d10t7 1 [3d10t7=10, 2, 5]

    discrider on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Minion roll 3d10t7 for investigation and alertness
    I may have neglected to mention, but you can reroll 10s. I think Geth has a thing for this...

    Nm6G5re.png
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    Minion roll 3d10t7 for investigation and alertness
    I may have neglected to mention, but you can reroll 10s. I think Geth has a thing for this...
    I thought that was for specialisations, 4+ in a skill
    Minion roll 1d10t7

    1d10t7 0 [1d10t7=1]

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    Minion roll 3d10t7 for investigation and alertness
    I may have neglected to mention, but you can reroll 10s. I think Geth has a thing for this...
    I thought that was for specialisations, 4+ in a skill
    Minion roll 1d10t7
    Using NWoD ruleset, so anything 10 is a free reroll.

    Nm6G5re.png
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    so..
    Does my 4 in Intelligence - Research mean anything then?

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    so..
    Does my 4 in Intelligence - Research mean anything then?
    It can allow you an extra reroll in those cases.

    Nm6G5re.png
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Louie scans the place once more, trying to pin down the stalker Jonathan said had followed them...
    Geth roll 3d10 Auspex + Alertness

    Auspex + Alertness:
    3d10 20 [3d10=3, 7, 10]

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    Louie scans the place once more, trying to pin down the stalker Jonathan said had followed them...
    Geth roll 3d10 Auspex + Alertness
    You can reroll the 10. No pressure. :P

    Nm6G5re.png
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited February 6
    Oh shiiii-

    Geth roll 1d10 for Under Pressure

    Edit- You're a cruel bastard, Geth. If I understand it properly, that was 1 away from a victory on the challenge, correct?

    Under Pressure:
    1d10 6 [1d10=6]

    mrpaku on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    You each get the impression there's a flicker of shadow at the bar, but it's too brief to be sure. You are absolutely certain he's correct, though: you are being watched by someone who does not want to be seen.

    Nm6G5re.png
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Louie can't see them, but he knows they're out there. Turning back to Jonathan, he asks, "You mentioned retiring to a more private location. Was there somewhere you had in mind?"

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Damn
    Gurstag glances around the bar, and almost certainly definitely gets the feeling that someone is watching them.

    "Well, should we retire to some other dive?", Gurstag suggests, thinking furiously.
    "Maybe somewhere with a quieter atmosphere, although perhaps not with any more trustworthy clientele.."

    At the very least, it would be nice to get on even ground
    Gurstag is suggesting that we make our way to a curios shop / fence that he should know about.
    He's hoping that the owner might afford them a room to settle affairs with little interference, in exchange for further research/artefacts.
    And maybe they can lose the tail on the way there.

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    "It's your meetup, gents, so you call it. I'll do what I can about your stalker problem, though I would prefer the next venue be something more subtle. Unless of course you care to throw caution to the wind and get right to it. I'd say this puts your ilk at more risk than mine, since we have an extra 12 hours on our side to deal with problems of this sort."

    The band finishes their current set to a round of scattered applause, at which point Jonathan reaches across the table and retakes the shot glass. "On second thought, I think I'll take you up on that offer." He downs the contents and sets the glass back down. "I can tell it's going to be one of those nights."

    There's a faint sound of police sirens in the background, which seem to be drawing ominously closer.

    Nm6G5re.png
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Gurstag furiously scribbles on a napkin.
    "Meet us here, on the other side of the river, in shall we say, two hours? The owner and I have had business from time to time, so we should be able to procure a room with less of an audience."

    "And Louie, my friend, how fast can you drive?"

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Louie drops the sunglasses down over his eyes, and grins wickedly. "Very fast!"

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    Jonathan nods, and stays at the table, letting his guests take the lead, figuring that whoever their tail was would be more interested in the duo than him. It seems he was correct. Before long, it's apparent another vehicle is indeed following behind, though the beaten up sedan doesn't exactly blend into its surroundings. Despite appearances, it's keeping up without much of a problem.

    Nm6G5re.png
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    The professor clutches his hat as Louie abruptly changes lanes.
    "We've definitely got company", he says, glancing in the mirrors.
    "Do you suppose we ask them what they want, or should we just lead them into an ambush and ask questions later?"

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    He narrows his eyes as the car behind merges dangerously through traffic.

    "I'd say the jig is up in any case.
    I think we've got three options", he states gripping the arm-rest.
    "One, we let them think we've arrived at our destination, and we ambush them.
    Two, straight shoot-out. Lead them into an enclosed area, and smash them into the ground. I don't like this one so much, because we don't know who they are and what they're capable of, whereas they most likely know us."
    Or one of us.
    Gurstag blinks.
    Unless the Regina was really offended..
    He shakes his head.
    "Or three, we confront them now, in public and ask them what the deal is. Worst case, we wind up fighting them anyway, but we might at least wind up on the front foot."

    He glances back.
    "They at least don't appear to want us dead immediately. Maybe they just don't want to make a scene."

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    As it becomes evidently clear that the car is not losing track of your vehicle anytime soon, the nearest safe haven appears to be a sparsely occupied drive-through. There's a few bored employees at the mostly empty restaurant, and every so often a single car passes through and leaves. It's not the most discreet location, but it's the closest one that comes to mind.

    The other car doesn't seem inclined to give up once it sees you've come to a stop. It parks not far behind, and the driver side opens up, giving way to a figure in a tattered hooded sweater who straightens up before slamming the door shut.

    "I'll make this quick, sweethearts. Turn back and go home or they find your dust in the back seat." The voice is a guttural hiss, and it's not even clear if the creature is a man or a woman. "Either way, I'm doing you licks a favor. You ain't gonna like what's waiting at your destination, I promise."

    Nm6G5re.png
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited February 15
    Louie gets out of the car and posts up against the driver's side door. He takes one of the cigarettes out of the pack in front of his pocket and leans against the vehicle nonchalantly, checking his cell phone just before the stalker arrives as though he and Gurstag were intentionally waiting for this person.

    He follows along carefully as the stranger warns them off the meeting, trying to listen to what the shadowy figure isn't saying. As they finish, the leathery vamp pauses a moment. He licks his lips, collects all of his charm, and then gives the huddled shape his most winning smile.

    "Appreciate the warning, compadre! Straight to the point: I like that! Quite the hand at a stick shift too, eh?"

    "Look," Louie says matter of factly, terse but not unpleasant, pacing about the vehicle as he speaks. "Only reason my friend an' I here left the safety o' the club is because we felt you lurking in the corners, sneakin' a listen. Destination is o' our own choosin'. The longer we delay getting where we're headed...if there is an ambush of some sort waiting there, somehow....the longer they'll have to prepare it. If we were to turn around now, head back to our superiors empty handed because some random hood told us to piss up a rope?" Louie shakes his head with grim finality. "Well, guessin' I don't have to tell you how these things shake out. We're just pawns in all this, son, caught between a rock and a hard place!"

    "There's not a lot of time," Louie closes impatiently, pulling his car keys back out and looking around nervous. "But for some reason, I think...know...if you wanted to, you would've caused us a fair bit o' trouble this evening, rather than riskin' confronting us out like this." Louie stares up at the lights of the drive thru sign above for a moment. An inspired look comes upon his face. He shrugs his shoulders suddenly, in a very "hell, why not" fashion, and says (as though it's just occured to him), "Shit. Maybe we can help each other!"

    mrpaku on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Gurstag rolls himself out of the passenger seat, and swings his satchel back to his side.
    No point staying in the car if Louie isn't.
    Standing behind the door, he tips his hat awkwardly towards the shadowy figure, before reconsidering and stowing the hat back in the car.

    With Louie handling himself admirably, Gurstag spends the time scanning the other car, and making sure their new friend is alone.
    As well as trying to place who might be underneath the hoodie, and whether he's had the pleasure of noting their disturbances in the local cryptid sightings.

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    "It's an automatic." The creature shifts an arm around at an unnatural angle, accompanied by an unpleasant cracking sound, as if just moving the limb made a few bones dislocate out of place... or maybe relocate, it's hard to tell. The sound of a distorted cackle is fairly clear, though. "Help you? The same neos who wanted to throw us under the collective bus because of some shitty IT work? If we dropped the ball, you dipshits dropped a nuke out east. You two really have no idea what you're walking into, do you? Or what they represent?"

    At a glance, it's clear the driver isn't alone. There's an as-yet unseen figure in the passenger seat.

    Nm6G5re.png
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Gurstag grips the door in front of him.

    "What happened in Venice was a damned mess. I'm sure our sires are at each other throats over it. All we've been tasked with is making sure our kin don't make the same mistakes again."
    Gurstag sighs, "But if you believe we're wrecking everything all over again, then we're all ears."

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited February 16
    Louie nods along as Gurstag speaks up, arms crossed and defiant, the car keys jingling against his shoulder. As the Professor finished, Louie adds, “Yeh’, you’re making a lot o’ presumptions there, chief. No one standing in this lot tried to bus you, or was involved with any of that shit out east! Think someone of yer’…”constitution” would have bit more sympathy fer’ not judging a book by it’s cover.” Louie laughs humorlessly, and flicks his cigarette roughly to the ground. Walking up to stand shoulder to shoulder with Gurstag, Loony Louie continues, “So if you an yer’ friend in the car back there have more to share, than vague threats an’ shitty looks? We’re all ears. But if you’re just here to shit on Warlocks an’ bring up bad blood, think we’re both wasting our nights, aren’t we?”

    mrpaku on
    discrider
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    "You're all the same blood, prone to making all the same mistakes. But yes, let's get back to the present, eh? It's about more than you wayward cultists now. You're not just trafficking with these delusional mortals, which need I mention is a massive breach that would probably have the Sheriff happy to put your heads on spikes, it's their allegiance, which is problematic even amongst their kind. We know more about them that you'd ever want to, so maybe perk those cute little ears of yours up and pay attention."

    There's the sound of a throat clearing, and the passenger climbs out, much sharper dressed than the cloaked figure. It's a nondescript male wearing a plain dress shirt half tucked into a pair of black slacks. "You'll forgive my companion here, she can be a bit... touchy. We mean to save you both a world of trouble, both within and without. If you somehow walk away from that meeting with your souls still intact, you'll likely wind up pariahs both amongst your House and all of Cainite society. Call it an act of charity. Of course, if simple friendly advice fails, we also have leave to put you both in the ground, but I did hope to avoid that outcome." One of his hands is notably concealed behind the car door.

    Nm6G5re.png
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Gurstag furrows his brow.
    "Allegiance? What allegiance could they have that is not itself a breach?"
    He pinches his nose.
    "Surely if there were any real power behind their meddling then we'd have found it first. But I had thought we were bringing them on for their..", he motions an arm at the driver, "IT work.".

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Louie stares languidly into the fancy newcomer's eyes, nose-twitching and left eye fluttering involuntarily, as he tries, but eventually looks away from the fancy stranger's gaze. A low but steady growl sits in the edge of his throat that only Gurstag is close enough to hear. In his hands, he squeezes the keys, the metal slowly giving and flatenning under his nevous, frustrated grip....

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    "What my cryptic friend here is trying to say that the faction your dear Regentia has broke bread with are outcasts among the mages. They're the most technologically savvy of the bunch, so little wonder your elder is so eager to work with them. They're also considered almost fascistic. So working with them is not just bad for both our kinds, they're bad for the world in general."

    The cloaked figure snarls back at Louie, tensing her own grip on the frame of the car door. "You wanna say something, wizard boy? I'm all fuckin' ears. Better yet, you wanna throw down right here, take a shot, I could use the laugh."

    The man waves a hand, trying to dissuade the growing tension. "Let's not get too hasty. We are all on the same side... for now. Perhaps these gentlemen can be made to see the error of their ways, and the foolishness of their elders, unlike so many of their clansmen."

    Nm6G5re.png
    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Louie makes a show of avoiding Bone-Spurs's taunts, but he's clearly riled by her continuing aggression. The leathery vamp finally turns back to meet the cloaked figure's glare, his unblinking eyes catching the lights from above, a quiet, rueful look forced onto his face. "Oh, and I am sure you dance divinely, madame! Unfortunately for us both, I've made "assurances" about my behavior to other's this evening. Perhaps...another time."

    The Tremere is getting frustrated and impatient. He addresses the newcomer more roughly than he had his companion, "Listen, Beau Brahmle, I pulled over with an olive branch!" he says testily, pointing an accusatory finger over at the cloaked woman. "And I'm still waiting to hear what you lot expect us to do here, exactly. Blow off a meeting? Rip off some pissant's head? Piss off an elder for giggles? Make a couple o' fucking pariahs of ourselves, because "these Last Nights can get dangerous"?" Louie laughs roughly.

    The vamp shakes his head definatly, staring between Beau and Bone-Spurs. He grips the car doors, and rocks back and forth anxiously on the back of his heels. "Nah-uh. You say we're all friends here? You're on my side, even after you theaten? Then be up front with us. Tell us the scenario "our new friends" thought through, where their "buddies" the Warlocks leave this situation with their heads still on." At this last bit, Louie's eyebrow arches, and for split a second his jutting canine is visible.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    "My colleague is rough, but right", says Gurstag, burying his face in a hand.

    "I'd", he shoots Louie a look, "like to not get dusted, and we can ill afford to spurn our Regentia entirely.
    So what is it that you would have us do?
    Is it that you can't get near them?
    They seemed to know too much about ... everything"

    "One second, I should check something"

    Gurstag fishes his phone out of his pocket before muttering at it under his breath.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    "Actually, heck".

    He presents the phone to their guests.

    "You guys wouldn't know whether this might be the cause, would you?"
    He turns the phone off, and pushes it down the back seat of their car.

Sign In or Register to comment.