As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Resident Evil] Are you a bad enough dude to save the President's daughter... again?

• KaruwenKaruwen Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Karuwen wrote: »
    I bought RE2 remake during the Steam sale, enjoyed it very much. I was never a big Resident Evil fan, but this was very enjoyable!

I finished Leon's story last night, but am a bit confused about the other modes. I started Claire A, but so far it seems to be pretty much the same as what I already played, but with minor differences?

I also unlocked Claire B, does that differ more, or offer more story? Doesn't seem to be explained very well by the game.

Leon A and Claire A are both the stories of "what happens if this character is the first to reach the police station?" The puzzles are identical, but the side characters are different - Leon has Ada, Claire has Sherry.

Leon B and Claire B get different puzzles to the A playthrough, are shorter and have a more complete ending. If it's your second time playthrough you should probably play Claire B if your first was Leon A.

Also worth pointing out that the differences in the remake between playthroughs aren't as pronounced as in the original RE2, where you basically had four different games in one that also took into account whether you'd picked up items in your previous playthrough. Not including that zapping system is like my only serious criticism of the RE2make.

Thank you! Claire B it is then!

Steam, Xbox Live & PSN : Karuwen
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    The B/2nd scenarios are basically the game with the tutorial sections taken out; you've gotten this far so you don't need to be shown how to play the game.

The only thing to keep in mind is that all the 9mm bullets are replaced with ammo for the new handgun you find, so the handguns that you can upgrade with new bits will need you to make ammo from gunpowder.

I do wish they'd put more effort into the A/B scenarios like in the original (non-overlapping bosses and characters, so both stories happen in canon). In this, there's no way to square both characters events happening at the same time.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Alright, replayed RE8 enough to get stuff like the unlimited ammo semi-auto magnum and the run under three hours on Hardcore. Figure that's all I have interest for, but that's not at all bad; I played the game through a good four times overall, with one run with unlimited full-auto rifle, another with the grenade launcher, and the last with the super-magnum. Naturally, the super-magnum was hilarious. Melting enemies before they can even finish their opening lines of the fight is obviously some fun times. The magnum run was also the speed run, so it was especially satisfying to knock out the armored zombies

And I have to say that, as much as I disliked RE5/RE6, I gotta respect the fact that the series just goes "fuck it, all of these games are canon, good or bad". In particular, I got a great laugh out of Heisenberg calling Chris "that boulder-punching asshole". They could try to avoid stuff like that but nah, they just embrace it. And every time fish-Moreau comes flying out of the water for an amazingly un-graceful bellyflop while yelling "I'M THE BEST!" at the top of his fishy lungs, I can't help but laugh at it.

Both Moreau's and Donna's sections are a real slog on repeat playthroughs, though. Being just puzzle sections, it's kinda annoying to be stuck trying to run through them when you know the solutions and knowing there's practically no threat this time. The only time I died in either of those sections was the first time Moreau used his acid rain attack, which is basically just straight-up death if you don't already know what's coming and to be under cover. Not bad sections by any means, they just don't work well with NG+.

• Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    If the RE4 remake is real, I need it to be great as RE4 is my favourite game.

If they just updated the graphics, made the gameplay less clunky and tightened up the pacing, that would be enough for me.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Both Moreau's and Donna's sections are a real slog on repeat playthroughs, though. Being just puzzle sections, it's kinda annoying to be stuck trying to run through them when you know the solutions and knowing there's practically no threat this time. The only time I died in either of those sections was the first time Moreau used his acid rain attack, which is basically just straight-up death if you don't already know what's coming and to be under cover. Not bad sections by any means, they just don't work well with NG+.

I think the actual solution to those sections for new game plus would be to just give the player the option to buy the relevant quest items from the shop. They really do add nothing in repeat playthroughs except for wasting time.

• Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    I've been thinking about what it is that keeps RE8 from greatness for me. Hot takes here:

My biggest gripe is that the game has a lot of theatrics that give you the experience of gameplay without delivering actual gameplay. The castle area is a series of very linear pieces that are stitched together to make it feel like you're exploring. The two Nemesis-style pursuit enemies are threatening-looking but pose very little threat. The water sections have a lot of Moreau jumping in your direction, but he usually lands next to you, like being on a fun house ride that can't hurt you. There's a section before the castle which has you running through a hallway while enemies posture at you; a lot of the game is the same idea, just a little more clever about it.

My second gripe is that the first act is a barrage of non sequitors and half of them didn't matter. Why introduce us to a cast of characters that are promptly forgotten? Did the game really need Ethan driving a car through a wall?

That said, it's still a great experience, largely because of the atmosphere and sound design. I adored the post-castle village section, which was delightfully tense for a walk down some streets in the middle of the day.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57q_IkEPd18

2/2 Going to be a good day.

KoopahTroopah on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

Ohhh I've been itching to play RE4 for the millionth time!

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    I keep seeing this thread pop every now and then and I remember that I'm still waiting for that DLC to materialize (and for RE:verse to be a thing... if for nothing else than to play a couple of hours and then uninstall.)

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    I keep seeing this thread pop every now and then and I remember that I'm still waiting for that DLC to materialize (and for RE:verse to be a thing... if for nothing else than to play a couple of hours and then uninstall.)

I figured the dlc may take a bit but Re:verse was in open testing if its not out by now its gone

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Drovek wrote: »

I figured the dlc may take a bit but Re:verse was in open testing if its not out by now its gone

No huge loss. I played the beta and it was a bit of fun, but I didn't like it as much as Resistance.

edited February 2022
    Well, been following this for something like 8 years? Here we are. RE4HD 1.0 is released.
    hd-project-1-768x432.png
    Be sure to read the instructions and install correctly. It's 35.66GB large. :winky:

KoopahTroopah on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Village's story better start making sense, even if none of the stories do:
    Why do we assume Rose is in a random monster infested castle? No reason to at all other than you end up outside it and have no leads to follow.

There was hints of this last game, but the Winter's don't seem to respond to injury even close to properly. No matter what they're the Black Knight. Severed limb? No problem! I am sure Mia is fine.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Is it possible to update my in-progress build to the finished one?

wVEsyIc.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Why do we assume Rose is in a random monster infested castle? No reason to at all other than you end up outside it and have no leads to follow.

There was hints of this last game, but the Winter's don't seem to respond to injury even close to properly. No matter what they're the Black Knight. Severed limb? No problem! I am sure Mia is fine.

It all makes sense when you realize one thing: Ethan is really dumb

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

And he does rub magic medicine juice that looks suspiciously like plain rubbing alcohol on the injuries, what more do you want?

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Get out of castle it says:
    Sure looks like an easy climb down from by Lady D's chambers! Otherwise hell if I know where it wants me to go since going out a window isn't an option either, grumble...

The reason why the windows are all sealed shut is pretty clever imo

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2022

And he does rub magic medicine juice that looks suspiciously like plain rubbing alcohol on the injuries, what more do you want?

My favorite part of RE7 was when I used a healing item and the animation had Ethan dumping health juice all over his stump. Yeah that'll fix it.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular

My favorite part of RE7 was when I used a healing item and the animation had Ethan dumping health juice all over his stump. Yeah that'll fix it.

Well, have you hacked off a limb and tried pouring medicine over it to prove it doesn't work?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    2, 3, and 7 getting next-gen ports, free upgrades for current owners.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    2, 3, and 7 getting next-gen ports, free upgrades for current owners.

Free PC updates too. Good call Capcom. <3

Capcom sent an email to say they are now available for all systems!

Apart from Xbox. Which I have.

Xbox version is arriving on the 22nd, so See You Next Tuesday!

I should download those again for the upgrade

• President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    I didn't see anything for Steam yet. But I also don't have a GPU capable of ray-tracing, so I'm not sure how much benefit I'll see.

The original did run very smooth on my crappy card when it came and runs very cleanly now on a better card.

Also, Steam has its Capcom sale for another 10 hours. So I've picked up the Village despite not playing through 7 yet. I really just want more RE2. More exploration, puzzles and environments in that same gameplay style. But I will settle for awkward castle exploration and portly merchants.

I upgraded to Xbox Series X and upgraded Village, my Village of Shadows playthrough looked beautiful while I mowed everything down with the fully upgraded assault rifle.

Mercenaries though, I haven't come so close to putting a controller through the screen since Dark Souls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tb9ENbFWvQ

Honestly I think it looks great.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

A RE film that doesn't include any existing characters isn't a bad idea for a take on the franchise. Shit goes down everywhere, so why not show it? Wouldn't surprise me if a named character shows up at the end (Leon/Chris/Jill) to tie things to the universe.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    MNC Dover wrote: »

A RE film that doesn't include any existing characters isn't a bad idea for a take on the franchise. Shit goes down everywhere, so why not show it? Wouldn't surprise me if a named character shows up at the end (Leon/Chris/Jill) to tie things to the universe.

I wouldn't be surprised but would rather they wouldn't.

Exciting! I'll definitely check it out.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular

it's not a film, it's a series, and the show is about Wesker, the new characters are his kids

Zavian wrote: »

it's not a film, it's a series, and the show is about Wesker, the new characters are his kids

RUINED!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Replaying Village again since I bought it on the PC and I finally have a 3060 that can play it reasonably. I don't know how to feel about the game now. I know that I really liked it when it came out but now that I'm playing through it again without the "newness" on it... I don't know. It might just be because I'm still sick and haven't slept in over a week. I really like RE1 and just recently played through it.

Maybe I just don't like the werewolves all that much.

For me, Village definitely felt excessively... confined. It probably wasn't any more confined than RE1/2/7, but having a large chunk of the game be outside and you're still blocked off by waist-high rubble or chains on an easily-climbable gate was some very 90's game design. All those locked wooden doors and yet there are axes and shit lying around. Just take five minutes and chop it down with a spare axe? Maybe pile up some boxes to climb that gate? And I can't help but feel like lots of those walkways and corridors are designed to prevent the juke-and-run you could get away with in prior games.

And I did some NG+ stuff, but I also knew I'd never come back to the game if only because of the fat chunk of dead time the dollhouse section adds. It was an interesting section, it's just a pointless waste of time on repeats.

I got it on sale and so had plenty of fun with it, but I don't see coming back to it, ever. I know I'll play RE1/2/7 again though (and RE4, but I don't count that as one of the actual survival-horror entries in the franchise).

For me, Village definitely felt excessively... confined. It probably wasn't any more confined than RE1/2/7, but having a large chunk of the game be outside and you're still blocked off by waist-high rubble or chains on an easily-climbable gate was some very 90's game design. All those locked wooden doors and yet there are axes and shit lying around. Just take five minutes and chop it down with a spare axe? Maybe pile up some boxes to climb that gate? And I can't help but feel like lots of those walkways and corridors are designed to prevent the juke-and-run you could get away with in prior games.

And I did some NG+ stuff, but I also knew I'd never come back to the game if only because of the fat chunk of dead time the dollhouse section adds. It was an interesting section, it's just a pointless waste of time on repeats.

I got it on sale and so had plenty of fun with it, but I don't see coming back to it, ever. I know I'll play RE1/2/7 again though (and RE4, but I don't count that as one of the actual survival-horror entries in the franchise).

You know, I'd love to see games give you a way to bypass sections quickly in NG+ with forward knowledge.

For example, in the dollhouse section, have the whole puzzle end by activating a hidden switch in the main room. Like, tuck it away somewhere that you wouldn't consider and don't provide a prompt. All that info becomes available to you once you finish all the puzzles in the area. That way you can easily finish the puzzle on a NG+ since you already know the answer to the puzzles.

Sure, you could have some players stumble onto the answer, or skip the section entirely if they're using a spoiler guide, but I think it would be a great addition to speed up slower areas on repeat playthroughs. A perfect example of what I'm talking about was in CoD: MW2 where you could kill the secret final boss of the game during the tutorial section and it would give you and ending and achievement.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Raybies666 wrote: »

OK, I'm stupid: I was under the impression these weren't coming for a while.

In which case, I need to fire up RE3 on Xbox Series X; I stopped not long after returning to the Racoon City Police Station (kind of boring to return to that area just after finishing RE2).

You know, I'd love to see games give you a way to bypass sections quickly in NG+ with forward knowledge.

For example, in the dollhouse section, have the whole puzzle end by activating a hidden switch in the main room. Like, tuck it away somewhere that you wouldn't consider and don't provide a prompt. All that info becomes available to you once you finish all the puzzles in the area. That way you can easily finish the puzzle on a NG+ since you already know the answer to the puzzles.

Sure, you could have some players stumble onto the answer, or skip the section entirely if they're using a spoiler guide, but I think it would be a great addition to speed up slower areas on repeat playthroughs. A perfect example of what I'm talking about was in CoD: MW2 where you could kill the secret final boss of the game during the tutorial section and it would give you and ending and achievement.

Yeah, that whole dollhouse could be 100% on a macro on repeat playthroughs, save only for the placement of the doll for the "boss fight". They could let NG+ players get a prompt when opening the door to where the house is at to ask if they want to skip the section and lose nothing at all. Just dump the items from the house into their inventory and save them 20-30 minutes of time.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Raybies666 wrote: »

OK, I'm stupid: I was under the impression these weren't coming for a while.

In which case, I need to fire up RE3 on Xbox Series X; I stopped not long after returning to the Racoon City Police Station (kind of boring to return to that area just after finishing RE2).

Correction to myself sort of: the Xbox Series/Playstation 5 updates to RE2 and RE3 remakes don't seem to be out yet. I don't think they've been announced beyond "coming in 2022."