As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The little crystal turtle [Pokémon] is pretty cute.

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    Yeah a lot of the UI is staggeringly bad, like scrolling through the options in the photo studio 3 colours at a time with no preview options

as is tradition, they did make a bunch of great improvements but also kept in stuff other games streamlined 15 years ago for no clear reason

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    discrider wrote: »
    Gundi wrote: »
    Whoo for the grandtree arena nuzlocke pokemon I managed to catch an alpha scyther. Now it's in the 40s so I can't use it for quite awhile, but that's nice!

??
    How many stars did you have when you caught it?

Two? The chance is low but you absolutely can catch super high leveled alpha pokemon with just pokeballs, especially if you just keep chucking them.

Gundi on
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Yeah, I just caught a lvl 58 alpha Yanmega when the highest on my team is 36 (though I have some other alphas in the forties)

A razz berry and a leaden ball did the trick

I caught the same Scyther as well, though he was much more of a hassle to get in the ball

Maxed out my Scyther research, so hoping to run into a shiny I can evolve into Kleavor

Do we know what it takes to refresh the mons in an area? Do we have to go back to the village, or is sleeping enough and for how long? Does enough distance do it?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    I don't know about the set alpha spawns, but for regular pokemon they should just reappear after a short time.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Whoo for the grandtree arena nuzlocke pokemon I managed to catch an alpha scyther. Now it's in the 40s so I can't use it for quite awhile, but that's nice!

??

Two? The chance is low but you absolutely can catch super high leveled alpha pokemon with just pokeballs, especially if you just keep chucking them.

What
    So the red X in the focus screen is lying to me?

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I spent ten minutes the other night trying to mission impossible an alpha tangrowth with berry distract, strafe behind, heavy ball.

I eventually ran out of berries but presumably the game told me there was a chance of success

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

??

What

No, but the red X only happens after the Pokémon has spotted you. Even if there's no tall grass, sneaking helps with not being seen.

And even if you are seen and the Pokémon aggroes, you can run away and then come back and try again.

Peewi wrote: »

??

What

No, but the red X only happens after the Pokémon has spotted you. Even if there's no tall grass, sneaking helps with not being seen.

And even if you are seen and the Pokémon aggroes, you can run away and then come back and try again.

No, the red X is there even before the alpha aggroes.

I think the red X is a marker saying: do not attempt to fight this you will die. I've noticed it a couple times on enemies way above my mons levels, usually alpha pokemon but not always.

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    In theory, i love the way pokedex is being made in this game.
    In practice, having to use (well, see used, but in practice it is faster for me to use it than hope a wild pokemon will do so for me) the same move 25 times in a row to finish a section is very tiring, and i would love if the pokedex was more research oriented instead of just more combat with extra steps.

Rethinking my team.
    Starter ofcourse, now in third form as Typhlosion, an Umbreon, and Gastrodon being the current core of the team.
    Maybe add Heracross, got an alpha version so that should be decent damager, or a Gyarados.
    Could keep using my shiny Drifblim or bring the alpha Staraptor.
    Luxray maybe? Could try to grab a decent alpha version to replace the one i already have levelled.
    Though part of me just wnats to grab a Golbat because Team Galaxy.

And none of this will matter once i get to next camp, because then i will have even more pokemon to choose from.
    I really should just play the story and do pokedex later.

edited February 2022
    I think the red X is a marker saying: do not attempt to fight this you will die. I've noticed it a couple times on enemies way above my mons levels, usually alpha pokemon but not always.

This is not the way it's explained in the tutorial, and it's the same X as seen when Starly are fleeing in their flying away and disappearing animation.

So yeah.
    Guess I'm catching all the alphas next session.

discrider on
    So neat little detail with the Buizel quest that I'm pretty sure I noticed.

First time through, I managed to just happen to find a Buizel that was max normal size, 2'8''. And when I completed the quest the questgiver was like "oh look it almost looks like an older and younger siblings."

This time though, I caught an alpha buizel. And two differences with the quest dialogue happen. First, the guy is surprised by just how huge the Buizel you got him is. Second, instead of comparing them to siblings, he says they almost look like a parent and their child.

No, the red X is there even before the alpha aggroes.

I assure you, it is not.

Here are two screenshots I just took of an alpha Snorlax.

The Snorlax has not noticed me, it has a Pokéball icon:
    oG5RtET.png

The Snorlax has noticed, it has a red X:
    9MLDk6t.png

When a Pokémon has the red X, any thrown balls just bounce off and the Pokémon doesn't go in at all.

edited February 2022
    :/
    I believe I would've noticed the red-eye, twice.
    Last one I looked at was yesterday, in long grass, and that alpha never aggroed.

And it looks like your screenshots are bad examples, because your party is of higher level than the alpha.

discrider on
    The level of your party has nothing to do with it. Multiple times throughout the game I caught alphas that were higher level than anything in my party, without fighting it.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    The UI really needs improvement.
    Let me mass release pokemon and store everything not favorited with one push of a button.
    And make the rest, pokemon and store selector in the camp separate people instead of one i need to go through the menu to pick what i want to do.

I know it doesn't fix your issue with store and pasture, but I've always just rested at the tent.

edited February 2022
    6or3zpt8dpc8.jpg

And the reason I mention the level of your party is you must have enough stars to control them, and by extension that alpha.

discrider on
  • InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    Anecdotally, I came across an Alpha Infernape lvl 65 or so. Red x overhead right away until it turned away from me.
    I'm 6 stars at this point. I guess it's too strong to be caught or stunned head on but from behind I have a chance at least. But what effect levels and rankings have on that I have no idea.

3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    In practice, having to use (well, see used, but in practice it is faster for me to use it than hope a wild pokemon will do so for me) the same move 25 times in a row to finish a section is very tiring, and i would love if the pokedex was more research oriented instead of just more combat with extra steps.
    You don't need to max out all the research to Perfect, though, unless you plan on shiny hunting that specific pokemon

Just getting to level 10/Complete can often be done in just a few catches

Except if you're going for Ten Stars as a surveyor, then you need a handful of Perfects, but you can skip it for most

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    What I noticed on my tangrowth attempts was that it had a red x until I got it to eat a berry and was behind it while it was eating. There could be unique characteristics of each one that make that a little variable?

edited February 2022
    So, yeah.
    I'm seeing the same thing with that Rapidash.
    If it's eating a berry, and I'm using a Heavy Ball (not a Pokeball), and I'm behind it, it will come up as a catch icon.
    But then it changes to an X immediately after I throw <_<

Maybe it doesn't want me to spam Heavy Balls?

discrider on
    You know, it's weird that the bandit sisters are the only female characters in the game that have facial tattoos, considering that's like, one of the most known tidbits about the Ainu to laypeople.

lol in arceus self destruct doesn't kill the user, it just does damage equal to 80% of the user's max HP to the user.

And now I have no more Heavy Balls

So now I'm just throwing Spoiled Apricorns and getting the Rapidash into this pond.

Turambar wrote: »
    You don't need to max out all the research to Perfect, though, unless you plan on shiny hunting that specific pokemon

Just getting to level 10/Complete can often be done in just a few catches

Except if you're going for Ten Stars as a surveyor, then you need a handful of Perfects, but you can skip it for most
    Technically speaking, i don't have to play the game at all.
    But the tasks are still there, and i want to max out the pokedex, and i wish that the way to do it was more actual research oriented.
    I understand why it is not, would mean lot more work for devs, so it's not like i am that upset about it, but it would have been fun.
    Dirty wrote: »
    The UI really needs improvement.
    Let me mass release pokemon and store everything not favorited with one push of a button.
    And make the rest, pokemon and store selector in the camp separate people instead of one i need to go through the menu to pick what i want to do.

I know it doesn't fix your issue with store and pasture, but I've always just rested at the tent.
    I am aware of the tent, that does nothing to the fact that i still have to scroll past the rest option to get to the pokemon.

Alpha Snorlax just "..." as I run past him

I've thrown so many pokeballs at that level 45 alpha snorlax to no avail.
    Level 60 Alpha Alakazam captured on first try.
    I don't even want an Alakazam, i just figured i would throw a ball at one while passing by.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    But to fill out the pokedex I need to do things like evolve magikarp 10 times, which means I need to keep 11 magikarp. And sure, after I evolve them I can get rid of 9 of those gyarados, but I haven't gotten around to evolving them yet so there's a bunch filling up my pastures. And there are a bunch of other pokemon that I'm keeping to evolve, but I'm catching more of them faster than I can evolve them.

@AnteCantelope To complete a pokedex entry you do not need to fill all the dots up. You only need to get 10 points worth. Once you get to 10 it doesn't go any higher and the pokedex entry is complete. The ones with the little red up arrows give 2 points towards that 10 each. And the others give 1. There is no reason to hold onto and evolve 10 magikarp.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    But to fill out the pokedex I need to do things like evolve magikarp 10 times, which means I need to keep 11 magikarp. And sure, after I evolve them I can get rid of 9 of those gyarados, but I haven't gotten around to evolving them yet so there's a bunch filling up my pastures. And there are a bunch of other pokemon that I'm keeping to evolve, but I'm catching more of them faster than I can evolve them.

AnteCantelope To complete a pokedex entry you do not need to fill all the dots up. You only need to get 10 points worth. Once you get to 10 it doesn't go any higher and the pokedex entry is complete. The ones with the little red up arrows give 2 points towards that 10 each. And the others give 1. There is no reason to hold onto and evolve 10 magikarp.

Well, if you complete everything in a pokedex entry it makes it "perfect" and increases your chance of seeing a shiny of that pokemon, I believe? So not no reason, but definitely less of one.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I find it hard to care about shiny hunting in a game that won't allow transfers to other versions.

That said, loving this game, really hoping a lot of this becomes the basis for how mainline Pokemon is structured in the future. I'm surprised with how much I actually enjoy filling out the dex, specifically because as long as you're not going for Perfects it's very a la carte.

It is kind of silly how you can just get lucky with an alpha pokemon and use that to dominate the whole game, though. I got a 55 alpha honchkrow pretty early that has been hard-carrying me through the game. The game could probably stand to be less generous with how high of a level it lets you control at various star-levels.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Finally beat it last night. Man I really love this game. This is one of those super rare games where I actually get super into it and stay up late playing until I realize it's 6am and I should have gone to bed hours ago but there's more pokemon just over there, let me just catch those first!

I keep hearing people shit on the graphics but honestly they seem fine to me? Like, absolutely not the prettiest game ever and there's a few pop-in/flickering/etc issues but it's fine? I guess I overall don't care that much. And honestly I feel like the Pokemon themselves look way better this time - like, Gamefreak actually put in more animations and the pokemon actually look like they're doing the moves and stuff (rather than a sort of squirm and then random effects show up in the air in front of them). Also FPS felt solid throughout (I heard someone say it runs worse than BotW and I'm like, wtf are you talking about? The game runs smooth while BotW had frequent slowdown issues...)

Spoiler stuff
    Thank Christ they didn't do the whole "Oh Galaxy Team was EVIL the whole timmmmeeeee!" thing. I was dreading that given their name. They kinda sorta did with Kamado (get rekt Prof. Rowan, your ancestor sucks) but it was mostly just him being dumb rather than evil. The ending went on a lot longer than I thought but it was pretty fun.
    I still absolutely do not understand why they forced me to bring Dialga to that final fight literally just for a cutscene to have continuity and then there was no actual pokemon battle... It's like, no game, I have a team I like, why you making me swap one out? And then it's not even used.

Excited to get to the post game stuff. I honestly could have messed around forever and not finished but the sky turning purple kind of pushed me into the ending (plus it felt too weird operating out of that tent). I really want to perfect some more pokedex entries for better shiny chance. I heard someone suggest the shiny chance in those mass pokemon events is like 1/158 or something absurd like that which is just nuts to me. (let's go mass growlithe event... I maxed out your dex entry for a reason!)

Also Braviary feels super OP for shiny hunting. I was just flying over the swamp and suddenly hear a chime and see the shiny stars below me.. caught a shiny Gastly :3 Didn't even see the thing flying over but the game basically screams at you so it's very hard to miss the shinies which is awesome. I do kind of wish he actually flew instead of just gliding but I guess they had to keep Sneaseral or whatever the hell it's called relevant.

Oh, and yes, wish the pasture UI was better. I was sad when I found out there was a max limit. The search function isn't the greatest (when you're searching for a geodude, graying out every other pokemon doesn't exactly help game...). I wish there was a way to say, move all grass types to one box, or whatever. I feel like older games had this. Also searching by shiny/alpha

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular
    Eh, there's so few traditional battles to 'dominate' that I don't think it really matters that you can acquire OP Pokémon. Not to mention the battles like that are easily the least interesting part of the game.

I've got a box full of level 55+ alphas and I'm mostly rolling around with a squad of 30-40s to go about my day (I'm at basically the end of the story). Play the game the way its satisfying to you to play it, I say.

jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    This game has a more interesting plot than I think...any Pokemon game has ever? That's not a high bar to clear but it's surprising when Pokemon characters are more than neat designs and actually have some rudimentary personality.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Oh god, now I am grateful I only found a Cherubi and had to evolve it to beat that quest (Petal Dance spam ftw!):
    https://www.polygon.com/22916807/pokemon-legends-arceus-cherrim-to-bloom-or-not-to-bloom-quest
    The issue is actually a bug that the Japanese support page for Arceus acknowledged Wednesday. According to the post, if Cherrim changes form once, it cannot be caught. Cherrim has two forms: one where its petals are closed (“overcast form”) and another where its petals are opened up (“sunshine form”). It changes depending on the weather.

(I did find a Cherrim way later but it must not have changed forms)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Ooof in my second nuzlocke attempt I just lost my starter in the 4th area. Losing it that late makes it hurt way worse.

I feel that the games attempts to tell me that the pokeballs are no different from the Diamond and Pearl clans having life companion style pokemon is somewhat weakened by me crafting extrra heavy balls so i can bean pokemon in the back of the head extra hard to capture them.

edited February 2022
    There is a melancholy to this game in that like, the way of life of two of the three main groups of humans in the game are obviously wiped out.

Gundi on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    yeah if you played Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/BDSP, you know Hisui really went to shit
    so many amazing pokemon species just vanished

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Finally beat it last night. Man I really love this game. This is one of those super rare games where I actually get super into it and stay up late playing until I realize it's 6am and I should have gone to bed hours ago but there's more pokemon just over there, let me just catch those first!

I keep hearing people shit on the graphics but honestly they seem fine to me? Like, absolutely not the prettiest game ever and there's a few pop-in/flickering/etc issues but it's fine? I guess I overall don't care that much. And honestly I feel like the Pokemon themselves look way better this time - like, Gamefreak actually put in more animations and the pokemon actually look like they're doing the moves and stuff (rather than a sort of squirm and then random effects show up in the air in front of them). Also FPS felt solid throughout (I heard someone say it runs worse than BotW and I'm like, wtf are you talking about? The game runs smooth while BotW had frequent slowdown issues...)

Spoiler stuff
    Thank Christ they didn't do the whole "Oh Galaxy Team was EVIL the whole timmmmeeeee!" thing. I was dreading that given their name. They kinda sorta did with Kamado (get rekt Prof. Rowan, your ancestor sucks) but it was mostly just him being dumb rather than evil. The ending went on a lot longer than I thought but it was pretty fun.
    I still absolutely do not understand why they forced me to bring Dialga to that final fight literally just for a cutscene to have continuity and then there was no actual pokemon battle... It's like, no game, I have a team I like, why you making me swap one out? And then it's not even used.

Excited to get to the post game stuff. I honestly could have messed around forever and not finished but the sky turning purple kind of pushed me into the ending (plus it felt too weird operating out of that tent). I really want to perfect some more pokedex entries for better shiny chance. I heard someone suggest the shiny chance in those mass pokemon events is like 1/158 or something absurd like that which is just nuts to me. (let's go mass growlithe event... I maxed out your dex entry for a reason!)

Also Braviary feels super OP for shiny hunting. I was just flying over the swamp and suddenly hear a chime and see the shiny stars below me.. caught a shiny Gastly :3 Didn't even see the thing flying over but the game basically screams at you so it's very hard to miss the shinies which is awesome. I do kind of wish he actually flew instead of just gliding but I guess they had to keep Sneaseral or whatever the hell it's called relevant.

Oh, and yes, wish the pasture UI was better. I was sad when I found out there was a max limit. The search function isn't the greatest (when you're searching for a geodude, graying out every other pokemon doesn't exactly help game...). I wish there was a way to say, move all grass types to one box, or whatever. I feel like older games had this. Also searching by shiny/alpha

I wouldn't be surprised if the pop-in complaints have something to do with other Pokemon fading out during battles and then reappearing, or the straight day/night spawn transition.
    I've noticed some legitimate pop-in, but that's largely with oblique angles in town.

Also noticed the framerate dip on flying Pokemon.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    They… they headed really far north with all their exclusive Pokémon and formed the Platinum Clan. They’re ninjas now so you can’t find ‘em.

Honestly as much as it’s a required gameplay element every character in the series that has a Pokémon without cramming them in a ball is much cooler than the protagonist.

Endless_Serpents on