As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy the 14th: End of the World Starts Now!

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Yeah, the final Stormblood gear should be enough for ARR ones, but obviously higher levels go faster... up to a point. Most ex fights have stuff you can't skip them past before they go invincible. Leviathan's particularly bad about it.

Eh BLU makes short work of that one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seGT-rQqES0

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Yeah, the final Stormblood gear should be enough for ARR ones, but obviously higher levels go faster... up to a point. Most ex fights have stuff you can't skip them past before they go invincible. Leviathan's particularly bad about it.

I was soloing Levi Ex to finally get my last pony recently. Hands down the worst one. I figured out how to skip the first phase, but I was only able to get it in two phases like three times out of twenty.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »

Eh BLU makes short work of that one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seGT-rQqES0

Oh well yes, if you're BLU.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Is the reason you're doing this synced because you're on free trial?

• DacDac Registered User regular
    So, toilet throne thinking for after EW.
    Are the shards, because they (presumably) have a fraction of aether than the source does, more susceptible to the effects of dynamis? Could there be a star where their magic is dynamis-based instead of aether based? :thinking:

Of course you'd have to ask, if that's the case, why didn't that show in the First ... though maybe you could argue that because of the overflow of Light, dynamis' effect was smothered...

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The shards didn't have to worry about the Dynamis directly. Our despondent friend was only in the Source, so her effects could only be felt in the Source. The problem was that while the Source can survive the destruction of a shard, the Shards cannot survive the destruction of the Source.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    The popular Shiva EX/Unreal strat was actually just to one-tank it and run an extra dps instead

For Unreal, this was because they gave her way too much health.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    The shards didn't have to worry about the Dynamis directly. Our despondent friend was only in the Source, so her effects could only be felt in the Source. The problem was that while the Source can survive the destruction of a shard, the Shards cannot survive the destruction of the Source.
    I'm not talking about Meteion. She's not the source of dynamis, she just taps into it and can manipulate it because she has so little aether. It's around even if she isn't. So would the shards, who have very little aether by nature (it seems) also be more knowledgeable of dynamis, etc.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Finished off Hildibrand ARR and the Crystal Tower series, and scored my last Bombard Core. So... pretty much the only stuff left for me in ARR is...

-sightseeing log
    -Coils of Bahamut
    -Finishing my relic weapon
    -Palace of the Dead (if I feel like leveling up an alt character class)
    -EX Primals (Ramuh, Moggle Mog, Leviathan, Shiva)

From here on out, the sightseeing log and the relic weapon are stuff I know I can take care of without much problem solo-wise. Everything else, well... that might wait until I get up to gear and knock them out. But still, that's plenty accomplished. I do have a sub and access to everything else, but I'm just trying to do as much of each expansion as I can before moving onto the next one.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Dac wrote: »
    I'm not talking about Meteion. She's not the source of dynamis, she just taps into it and can manipulate it because she has so little aether. It's around even if she isn't. So would the shards, who have very little aether by nature (it seems) also be more knowledgeable of dynamis, etc.

Ah, I obviously misunderstood.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    do not subject yourself to the ARR sightseeing log
    the expansions, go ahead, but not ARR, it's just stupid. Even if you find the spot you have to stand, you have to guess (look up on the internet) the specific emote they want, at the specific TIME they want, IN THE SPECIFIC WEATHER THEY WANT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

BahamutZERO.gif
    The reward is also a bit ... Eh... https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Fledgling_Apkallu

• EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Question regarding ShB/EW
    When the world was split into the 13 shards, does that mean 13 universes? So 13 dragon planets, 13 Omicron planets etc? Or are the shards in some kind of pocket dimension, and there is only one Universe that contains the Source shard?

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Evermourn wrote: »
    When the world was split into the 13 shards, does that mean 13 universes? So 13 dragon planets, 13 Omicron planets etc? Or are the shards in some kind of pocket dimension, and there is only one Universe that contains the Source shard?
    I can't remember if there's any clear explanation in the story, but I always interpreted it as "splitting the universe apart". That would have Heavy Implications when talking on a universal scale, because then you can start theorycrafting about Fermi's Paradox and Dark Forest etc -- why assume that this star was the first one to ever do it?

...but maybe that's just me having read a lot of scifi.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    From my understanding only our planet was sundered, everything else is as it was.

the expansions, go ahead, but not ARR, it's just stupid. Even if you find the spot you have to stand, you have to guess (look up on the internet) the specific emote they want, at the specific TIME they want, IN THE SPECIFIC WEATHER THEY WANT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Do I need to do the ARR one to unlock it in HW and forward?

steam_sig.png
  • OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    JaysonFour wrote: »

Do I need to do the ARR one to unlock it in HW and forward?

No, they are completely separate.

Edit: Actually, I think you just have to pick up the log for each expansion, but you don't have to complete it.

OldSlacker on
    I’ll just do the Postmoogle stuff and leave the ARR sightseeing for the “really, really bored” pile, then.

steam_sig.png
    reVerse wrote: »
    From my understanding only our planet was sundered, everything else is as it was.
    Yeah, basically you ended up with a bunch of pocket dimensions. Not clear what would happen if someone tried space travel off of one of them.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Lately as I've been running around hither and yon, I've noticed more and more sightseeing globe things. And each and every one I've stepped into has not said I was in one or whatever they say. This included one in Uldah which was interesting. I read something about having to get a 20+ unlock, but not sure if that's what it is. Anyone else ever have this problem?

50433.png?1708759015
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Yeah, basically you ended up with a bunch of pocket dimensions. Not clear what would happen if someone tried space travel off of one of them.

ShB and EW spoilers
    We do know it is possible because of the Nier raids

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »

ShB and EW spoilers
    Nier came from another dimension in the first place so the rules seem a little different for that, for things physically traveling to the planet from elsewhere in the same universe it seems like they will only find the Source, IE Midgardsormr and Omega landed on the Source, there's no dragons or advanced tech civilizations based on Omega tech on the First.

BahamutZERO.gif
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Lately as I've been running around hither and yon, I've noticed more and more sightseeing globe things. And each and every one I've stepped into has not said I was in one or whatever they say. This included one in Uldah which was interesting. I read something about having to get a 20+ unlock, but not sure if that's what it is. Anyone else ever have this problem?

It's an ARR sightseeing thing- you have to do the first twenty to unlock the rest of them.

steam_sig.png
    Caedwyr wrote: »

ShB and EW spoilers
    Nier came from another dimension in the first place so the rules seem a little different for that, for things physically traveling to the planet from elsewhere in the same universe it seems like they will only find the Source, IE Midgardsormr and Omega landed on the Source, there's no dragons or advanced tech civilizations based on Omega tech on the First.
    Yeah, I wouldn't take anything from the Nier raids as canon for anything else really. Same as the talking cat meets talking cat crossover.

edited February 2022
    ARR relic step 6 complete. I've managed to raise my level all the way to 65 and I haven't even taken a step into HW as of yet- I think it safe to say if I keep this up I'll hit level cap... hmm... before I start Stormblood, maybe? I know I'll hit 90 before Shadowbringers...

Going to go try my luck in some other dungeons. I'm fifteen levels over what I need to be for anything ARR, so I imagine a lot of butt-stomping will occur.

First shot is AV, so some well-deserved whooping going on there... and I went and beat the crap out of everything in about... twelve, fifteen minutes or so? The Zodiac mats I need drop unsynced, so...

(experiences behind spoiler)

Aurum Vale - no trouble with this one. Actually really, really cathartic.

Haukke Manor (Hard) - Came down to the wire on the final boss. Had to race burning her down after burning her summoned mobs down- if I'd missed any, I would have wiped. Ended up with 800 HP out of some 29k at the end, but I won. Heals might make this a cakewalk, though.

Wanderer's Palace - actually pretty easy, except at the final boss where it becomes a race of being plinked to death or burning the boss down.

Copperbell Mines (Hard) - two big sticking points- Gogmagolem can be an absolute pain with only one person shuffling bombs and kindling sprites tossing fire every which way, especially if the bomb spawns across the room. Plus he hits like a truck. The final boss needs to be fought on the rocky rim of the arena- if you try and fight him on the sand, the damage from the worm will eat you right up. Head to the edge of the arena and you just about remove the worm from the equation. Just remember to burn down adds as they show up.

Sastasha (Hard) - Two words: Tail Screw. The first boss is an absolute nightmare, even fifteen levels later, and he's got a vicious stun/Tail Screw combo that is damned near impossible to dodge. I had to come back with a party for this one.

More to come later.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    I am on my way to Doma! I just about died at this exchange (I am paraphrasing):
    Caravellain: "sooooo why should I take these spoiled brats" /gestures to Alisaie & Alphinaud, (the former of whom just insulted the profession of piracy [which is perfectly legal in Limsa!], the latter of whom is unfortunately Alphinaud) "to Doma."
    Tataru: "I dunno, but I heard a rumor in Ishgard that the heir to house Durendaire vanished at sea~ and his father still believes him alive! Why, he'd pay a KING'S RANSOM for concrete proof." :3
    Caravellain: "..................... HAHA WHAT A FUNNY STORY anyway I'll take you as far as Kugane :| "

in other news, on a whim I picked up GNB, and

1) Oh shit you START at level 60!? That's nice. If... overwhelming! OH GOD SO MANY BUTTONS
    2) This is WAY more fun than PLD
    3) The quests are WAY more interesting than PLD, and -- upthread someone actually asked about "is it weird to wear cosmetic bunny ears around Viera"
    The answer is actually Yes; but the NPC in question is also secretly a Sylph pretending to be a Hyur who is just REALLY INTO whatever weird ass outfits she can wear. She's like. Plant lady Jojo Siwa or something. And the Viera in question is sort of just writing it off as "Gridanians are... odd......." and not racism. So... weird, but not racism, if that makes sense. But it IS remarked upon.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    8u8qi9r4amvq.png

liEt3nH.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    It's not surprising you find GNB a lot more fun at 60, PLD.dont even get their rotation defining cooldown of Requiescat until 68, and even that ability isn't truly fun until 80 or arguably 90.

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    finally, a reason to invest
    2qaal178k9g81.jpg

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    but yeah the jobs they added in later expansions start at a higher level

AST, DRK, and MCH start at 30
    SAM and RDM at 50
    GNB and DNC at 60
    and reaper and sage are 70

liEt3nH.png
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I really wish they could find a way to decouple having to complete all of the 2.x patches before being able to unlock MCH, AST, and DRK. I know it's impractical as all three jobs are very heavily tied to Ishgard, but it kind of sucks that you're far more likely to be able to unlock DNC or GNB before DRK nowadays.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    korodullin wrote: »
    I really wish they could find a way to decouple having to complete all of the 2.x patches before being able to unlock MCH, AST, and DRK. I know it's impractical as all three jobs are very heavily tied to Ishgard, but it kind of sucks that you're far more likely to be able to unlock DNC or GNB before DRK nowadays.

Yeah, I suspect they came to that realization themselves -- all other new jobs past that are just available to pick up in the three original capitals, right? (As long as you're at the level required)

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Echo wrote: »
    korodullin wrote: »

Yeah, I suspect they came to that realization themselves -- all other new jobs past that are just available to pick up in the three original capitals, right? (As long as you're at the level required)

Yep. It was clearly a mistake they regret but not one they can easily fix.

admanb on
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    The advantage of the HW jobs being tied to HW is that their storylines are a much better complement to the expansion itself.

Frozenzen wrote: »
    The advantage of the HW jobs being tied to HW is that their storylines are a much better complement to the expansion itself.

SAM does get to move to Kugane for the second tier of job quests at least, which helps. But DRK in particular ties into the themes of Heavensward a lot.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. My only problem right now is I'm doing Stormblood? whatever comes after Heavensward. Their lvl 60-70 MSQ and I already got Dancer to 70 so I switch to SAM who is now at 67 and I wanted to switch to someone else, but their all too low to do MSQ without dying. What is the most efficient way to level those up a bit?

0h4wcs84xh1d.png

50433.png?1708759015
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    leveling roulette, alliance roulette, msq roulette, once per day each. Wondrous tails for half a level a week.

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    leveling roulette, alliance roulette, msq roulette, once per day each. Wondrous tails for half a level a week.

Daily Frontline is also a huge chunk of xp for the time investment.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    8u8qi9r4amvq.png
    Lyse: "Hm, we didn't bring any money [to pay for passage across the Ruby Sea], surely Tataru will just let us take whatever we want from the coffers, right?"
    WoL: /look of a combination of abject terror and are you insane why would you even contemplate such a thing

DO NOT TOUCH THE FINANCES TATARU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED WITH YOU

AND YOU DO NOT WANT THAT

get that girl a copy of MS Excel, she could conquer the planet.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/

Daily Frontline is also a huge chunk of xp for the time investment.

Absolutely this, especially for DPS it's the best. Just make sure you set up your hotbars ahead of time at the Wolves' Den.

This discussion has been closed.