As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The TV Thread: More for Less

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Hah, what's up Noq, long time! Ended up going with the C1. Dragged the wife into a best buy to look at them side by side, and the winner was clear as day. The QN90 just looked kinda fake with how bright and vibrant everything was. Downside was, with the wife involved, it also required buying a new media console.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Mount the TV. Put it on the wall. No console required.

Do it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Wow what luck - I popped in here because I kind of impulse bought an LG C1 and it arrived today and I'm freaking out. A mix of excitement and panic as my wife agreed to the purchase "as long as you mount it". I've never mounted a TV for myself before (Ive done it at work a few times), and the area I'll be mounting it in is kind of tricky. Figured I'd poke around in this thread to see if its even worth keeping the C1 but that seems to be a resounding yes.

Any advice for mounting? I'll attach a photo - this is my TCL 55" so its the same size roughly. We want it mounted in the same space - my stud finder tells me that it's possible. The only weird thing is you'll see its up against a staircase, so the whole upper right of the TV is over the railing area. This SHOULDN'T impact the mount area, because its all wall under there. This isn't a dumb plan, right?

The only issue after this is where the hell to stick the PS5, as it currently is hidden behind the TCL. But we'll figure that out eventually...
    1h59hbgnwkx7.jpg

The red lines are roughly where the studs were. Where is the mount on a C1? It cant be centered right, because that thing looks super thin.ilkfbcsm3dly.jpg

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    I just wall mounted a C1, the VESA mounts on it are in the bottom third of the panel, so that mount theoretically would be even lower on the stair case (at that height). Other than children kicking the panel through the railing uprights, there's nothing wrong with that mounting decision I don't think.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    You should be able to get a mount that shifts side to side. So while the mount would be off-center, you'd shift the TV to the left so that it's away from the stairs and under the white shelf.

The C1 weighs 41lbs, so the other option if you're feeling adventurous, would be to use some 100lb dry wall mounting options. We had to go this route as our apartment has metal studs. However we don't have kids or animals that put pressure on the TV.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Yes, we have a sliding mount that I got from monoprice.

This is a similar one:
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5916

If nothing else, has a little video showing the different types of mounts.

Trajan45 wrote: »
    You should be able to get a mount that shifts side to side. So while the mount would be off-center, you'd shift the TV to the left so that it's away from the stairs and under the white shelf.

The C1 weighs 41lbs, so the other option if you're feeling adventurous, would be to use some 100lb dry wall mounting options. We had to go this route as our apartment has metal studs. However we don't have kids or animals that put pressure on the TV.

I know these are a thing but I don't trust them.

What folks said is true, the mount points on the TV are on the bottom 1/3rdish and you can definitely get a mount that will slide some. So if you look at something like the Rocketfish or Sanus tilt mount, you can put the bracket on the wall and slide the TV pretty far over while still not being able to see the bracket on the wall. I wouldn't plan on hiding the wires, though, because stairs likely means fire blocks and other crap in your way. Wire molding is your friend.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Yeah I was thinking of something like this but instead of down, to the left.

e3nd26w1zj7c.png

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    Thanks all! Home now and very excited so I'm going to pop it on the stand and see if I can figure out a solution for the sound bar for now (it sits too low so the bar blocks the screen. Hmm.)

I ordered an Amazon mount but I'll return it and get a sliding one, that's perfect. Thanks a ton.

And who knows, if I can figure our a solution now I may just safety tether the back to the wall. My kid is 1 so I have a little time before he's tall enough to try and climb.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Yeah I was thinking of something like this but instead of down, to the left.

e3nd26w1zj7c.png

That's basically a mantlemount, meant for TVs over a fireplace so you can bring them down while watching and aren't getting that front row of the movie theater effect. Not super useful in this case since it is going in front of a staircase, not super high. You're better off with a wider tilt mount, something that is 24-28" wide, so you can put the TV where you need it. This is the back of my TV, I have room to slide the thing about 6-8" either way and it's still completely secure.

uwg6i4m1xsoj.jpg

edited February 2022
    I set up everything and damn, this is a good looking TV!

There's one issue though that I wouldn't call a deal breaker but is incredibly annoying. The CEC sucks on this thing.

We have 2 playstations hooked up to the TV. One is mine and one is my wife's. We each had one to play games online together (ill move my system to another room for the evening if were co-oping something with no splitscreen, or playing in a squad online), but 90% of the time they're both hooked up to the same TV so that whoever is playing has the games they want installed without having to juggle storage space.

Forever whoever wanted to play would turn on the playstation, the TV would power up and switch to that input, and we'd be good to go. Flawless.

This TV has a fuckin panic attack every time it turns on or off. When you turn it on, it powers up both systems. Then it juggles the inputs because it's confused. If you turn one off, when you turn the TV off eventually, that one will turn back on, which will wake up the TV again. And if you turn on the TV via the playstation itself, it will power on, which triggers the 2nd system to turn on, and it's another juggling mess.

Its really frustrating that the only solution is just to turn that functionality off, because now we're back to needing to grab the controller and the remote to swap inputs and blah blah. First world problems for sure, but it just sucks when this was never an issue with a TV 1/5th of the price.

Once I do get the right system on though - dang those games look pretty!

mxmarks on
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    You should be able to at least make that less bad - I'm pretty sure there is one setting for the console to turn on the TV, and one for the TV to turn on whatever input it was set to when it turned off when you turn it back on.

I know with the Switch I've got the TV set to auto change to that input when it's turned on (or put back in the dock while on) but we turn the TV off manually when we're done.

I feel your pain though, I've got the other two consoles running through a soundbar, sometimes it'll auto change to the right input and sometimes it won't, but the display to tell you what it's doing is on the top side of the soundbar so you've got to stand up to see what it's done if it doesn't just work.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
    CEC is garbage. It is known.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Anyone familiar with the Sony X90J? Thinking of grabbing one from the Costco sale but a little unsure about Rtings reports of stutter.

I thought the stuttering was fixed?

edited February 2022
    They specifically call it out in the movie sections, although they say it's during lower fps video. Reading further into the specific testing they say that Sony has released some fixes for it but it may still there during 24 fps content.

Edit: with the Rtings link

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x90j

Carpy on
    Hahaha fucking awesome. Sony makes great TVs but they can't get their shit together on the software side anymore. Always a dumb problem cropping up on some model or other.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I had to turn the Wi-Fi off on my Sony XBR-43X800D because it kept disconnecting and reconnecting every 3-5 seconds. Thankfully I use a Apple TV 4K for all of my streaming needs so it wasn't a great loss. That was a couple of months ago so I have no idea if a software update fixed it.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I havent had any issues on my A80J, but I did notice the stuttering on my mom's X95J and for some reason it wont let the universal remote control the tv over wifi...even though it did at first. I have the same remote and everything works just fine...

emp123 wrote: »
    I havent had any issues on my A80J, but I did notice the stuttering on my mom's X95J and for some reason it wont let the universal remote control the tv over wifi...even though it did at first. I have the same remote and everything works just fine...

The remote that came with it? That's bluetooth. Weird.

Cormac wrote: »
    I had to turn the Wi-Fi off on my Sony XBR-43X800D because it kept disconnecting and reconnecting every 3-5 seconds. Thankfully I use a Apple TV 4K for all of my streaming needs so it wasn't a great loss. That was a couple of months ago so I have no idea if a software update fixed it.

We've been having issues occasionally with our wifi/appson our old A8F. I really don't like AppleTV, but also not a big fan of Roku these days.

I wish Nvidia would do a refresh of the Shield Pro. :(

Hmmm, reading through more of their reviews and it seems like a consistent issue they have with most high refresh sets.

Shadowfire wrote: »
    emp123 wrote: »

The remote that came with it? That's bluetooth. Weird.

Nah that one works fine, but the Harmony One remote will only control it via IR for some reason. I dont know if its a Harmony issue or an issue with the tv.

Oh, yeah, I've not had great luck with that, found it's better to just go IR instead. If you haven't you can try removing the batteries from the Sony remote and see if that solves the issue, but otherwise the Harmony is a bit flaky with the connection.

Its weird that it works totally fine with mine, but not hers. And I'd really like to get it off IR since there's a considerable delay when pressing buttons which doesnt totally make sense to me either (I'm actually not sure its a delay, I think if you hit say volume up it'll send the signal but it'll be too short so the tv wont do anything unless you hold the button so the IR blaster sends it a couple of times).

Wooooo: new TV delivered this morning. Booo-urns: it won't fit my existing mount. Running around on a Saturday morning with 2 kids under two, trying to find a mount is definitely how I wanted to start my weekend.

Is it just way larger than the old TV? If they're similar size the mount should work, but sometimes shit just goes bad.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Is it just way larger than the old TV? If they're similar size the mount should work, but sometimes shit just goes bad.

Yeah, Maine just need to rotate the VESA plate?

I don't really know how anything works, just trying to save you a trip if we can.

edited February 2022
    Success, TV is up and running. Solid 20" upgrade over what we had been using.

Spoiled the days travails
    This is a giant shit show:
    - Two places to find a new mount
    - new mount doesn't fit the non standard studs (maybe, recessed alcove that's roughly 14 inch stud to stud)
    - decide to bag it and pay for mount installation
    - download and take another look at the old mounts spec sheet (discontinued Sanus SLF-212)
    - realize it does fit the 300 x 300 vesa of the new TV, I just need to dig out the mount arms
    - put old mount back up
    - pull out TV and attach vesa plate
    - realize the old owners only left 3 of the bolts to attach the plate and I don't have any that will fit
    - suppress urge to throw screw driver
    - strongly contemplate just using bolts from the new mount even if voids the return
    - send FiL to pick up another bolt
    - once it's mounted realize the TV hd some funky spacers that probably would have solved my mount plate issues

Carpy on
    I fucking hate those Sony posts. No idea why they have them. It's like they heard us celebrate Samsung getting rid of their weird post hole inserts and said "hey, we can crush some dreams over here."

But uh.. pics or it didn't happen.

edited February 2022
    Here it is in all of its 65" majesty. Don't mind the cabling, I'll dress it once I've recovered some. Gonna wait a month or so and then look for a mount to attach the sound bar to the wall mount.

lulqdrz7h8kl.jpeg

The aforementioned devil mount. Not a fan of the single arm, still might have someone come in and install the box mount (Sanus slf226-B1)
    u40fwzyy456e.jpeg

Carpy on
    I really like Sanus mounts, and that one you bought is great. If you decide to put it up, this little guy will snug the soundbar right up against the bottom of the TV.

Amazon sells some soundbar mounts as well that look like a couple of arms. They work ok, but you need to use zipties to secure them or else they tend to sag after a couple weeks.

Thanks on the sound bar mount tip. Went ahead and snagged it and set up an install of the new mount. It'll make me feel better about the new TV and then we can just move the whole old setup upstairs.

My LG C1's native apps keep crashing, so we decided to get a Roku Streaming Stick 4k to run all our stuff off of, and it's been really disappointing. Once I turned deep color on for the input, it recognized the HDR, but the issue is it just pumps out Dolby vision constantly. Even when the content doesn't support it.

It's resulting in just bad picture quality on a lot of stuff where colors and brightness are way off.

Any ideas? I can't seem to find any menus that allow it to auto detect the content instead of always on.

I am leaning towards just returning it and continuing using the built in apps. I read that disabling quick start makes it way less buggy, as we flip through a ton of apps all the time trying to keep a 1 year old entertained.

Weird they keep crashing. Definitely turn off the quick start, and I'd also disable the Home Promotion and animation things, as well as turning off the advertising settings (for obvious reasons).

If it keeps crashing, you might run a factory reset on the TV since it definitely shouldn't be, then contacting LG would be your best bet. If you want to go with an external device anyway, the newest AppleTVs are kinda the best on the market (and I feel dirty saying that).

Thanks - I ended up boxing up the Roku to send back after disabling all the stuff you mentioned, and will see if it helps.

The frantic pace of a 1 year old wanting The Wiggles, then Mickey, then the DVR'd YouTubeTV stuff, then back to The Wiggles is making me switch apps constantly and I think eventually it just gives out. Going in and manually closing them seems to help - so hopefully turning off Quick Start means theyll just always be closed when not in use and I shouldn't get a crash again.

Still working on getting the best set-up going. I have a Vizio sound bar and am finally getting around to making sure it's all set up right. I changed some things last night (Sound Through TV? or something?) and it definitely changed the way it sounds so now I'm just dialing in what I like I think. I hate that commercials are so loud and everything else is mixed so nice, but that's a problem as old as TVs themselves really.

Still have a lot of nitpicks about how apps work (I hate that they're in like, a layer on top of the inputs. I wish I turned on the TV and the last app I used opened, since its always sitting on the eARC speaker as an input when it turns on), but holy shit the picture quality more than makes up for it.

It's also the only TV I've ever had where I think the smoothing makes certain things look incredible. I always have it off by default but on this TV I leave on Cinematic Smoothing and even bump it up to Normal for certain shows.

Hate to post back to back but I'm pretty sure I have the cursed LG C1 and am debating just returning it. I threw out the box yesterday and I may just make that Amazon's problem and ask for a return or replacement.

Now - after going through all that with the CEC turning every device on, the apps constant crashing, the Roku displaying Dolby Vision only (which I believe is the Roku's fault), and the PS5 flickering and putting out pixelated, digitzed audio (which I believe is the PS5's fault)...

...the TV is now defaulting to it's TV speakers every time it powers up, even though the soundbar is connected via eARC. It wasn't doing this until last night, and I don't believe I changed anything in the meantime.

I was messing around with sound settings earlier, as my last post says, but no idea why it's defaulting the the TV. Last night when it happened I figured I messed up, put it back to eARC (HDMI 2), and that was it. This morning I get a text from my wife that the kiddo is screaming because she can't figure out audio and the soundbar isn't putting out anything.

I absolutely love the picture quality and have never spent even close to this amount of money on a TV in my life, but this whole thing has been so frustrating I'm really on the cusp of just returning it. My whole pitch was "its going to look better and other than a new remote you'll never notice!", and every day now it's something new that is broken or won't work right.

I may factory reset tonight and try starting from scratch, but I'm at my wits end.

Factory reset it, but yeah if it keeps doing that shit get a replacement. Sounds like a bad setting buried somewhere but if it keeps having the same problem I'd be ordering a main board for it.

Well factory reset did nothing. I set it up with my soundbar, it is fine and works, I turn off the TV. When it comes back on it usually starts with TV speakers, finds the soundbar, and goes back to TV speakers.

The only thing I can think of is maybe my soundbar doesn't support eARC and it's confusing it that I have eARC on.

The website for the soundbar said it did support it, the box and manual however have no mention of it. It's a Vizio 2.0.

I just turned eARC back off and will see, but this sucks.

Wait, that Vizio soundbar isn't Atmos, is it?

Go optical. At least that's stable.