As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The little crystal turtle [Pokémon] is pretty cute.

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    But to fill out the pokedex I need to do things like evolve magikarp 10 times, which means I need to keep 11 magikarp. And sure, after I evolve them I can get rid of 9 of those gyarados, but I haven't gotten around to evolving them yet so there's a bunch filling up my pastures. And there are a bunch of other pokemon that I'm keeping to evolve, but I'm catching more of them faster than I can evolve them.

AnteCantelope To complete a pokedex entry you do not need to fill all the dots up. You only need to get 10 points worth. Once you get to 10 it doesn't go any higher and the pokedex entry is complete. The ones with the little red up arrows give 2 points towards that 10 each. And the others give 1. There is no reason to hold onto and evolve 10 magikarp.

Yes, but there are tasks to complete so I want to complete them.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I'm still reeling at the idea that all Pokemon can just shrink to an incredibly tiny size as a natural ability.

Maybe you might think it's stupid, but also it explains so much. Where they go when they faint, how they can just disappear when they run away.

Why they are called Pocket Monsters!

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I'm still reeling at the idea that all Pokemon can just shrink to an incredibly tiny size as a natural ability.

Maybe you might think it's stupid, but also it explains so much. Where they go when they faint, how they can just disappear when they run away.

You know in hindsight defining them in-universe as pocket monsters means there must be monsters.

One day you’ll throw a pokéball at something that just catches it and crushes it.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Also attempting to catch every species in your region is in fact an act of holy pilgrimage, which is why these ten year olds have been given a lot of privilege in modern times.

Thou gotta catch them all.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Also attempting to catch every species in your region is in fact an act of holy pilgrimage, which is why these ten year olds have been given a lot of privilege in modern times.

Thou must needs catcheth them all.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Finally beat it last night. Man I really love this game. This is one of those super rare games where I actually get super into it and stay up late playing until I realize it's 6am and I should have gone to bed hours ago but there's more pokemon just over there, let me just catch those first!

I keep hearing people shit on the graphics but honestly they seem fine to me? Like, absolutely not the prettiest game ever and there's a few pop-in/flickering/etc issues but it's fine? I guess I overall don't care that much. And honestly I feel like the Pokemon themselves look way better this time - like, Gamefreak actually put in more animations and the pokemon actually look like they're doing the moves and stuff (rather than a sort of squirm and then random effects show up in the air in front of them). Also FPS felt solid throughout (I heard someone say it runs worse than BotW and I'm like, wtf are you talking about? The game runs smooth while BotW had frequent slowdown issues...)

Spoiler stuff
    Thank Christ they didn't do the whole "Oh Galaxy Team was EVIL the whole timmmmeeeee!" thing. I was dreading that given their name. They kinda sorta did with Kamado (get rekt Prof. Rowan, your ancestor sucks) but it was mostly just him being dumb rather than evil. The ending went on a lot longer than I thought but it was pretty fun.
    I still absolutely do not understand why they forced me to bring Dialga to that final fight literally just for a cutscene to have continuity and then there was no actual pokemon battle... It's like, no game, I have a team I like, why you making me swap one out? And then it's not even used.

Excited to get to the post game stuff. I honestly could have messed around forever and not finished but the sky turning purple kind of pushed me into the ending (plus it felt too weird operating out of that tent). I really want to perfect some more pokedex entries for better shiny chance. I heard someone suggest the shiny chance in those mass pokemon events is like 1/158 or something absurd like that which is just nuts to me. (let's go mass growlithe event... I maxed out your dex entry for a reason!)

Also Braviary feels super OP for shiny hunting. I was just flying over the swamp and suddenly hear a chime and see the shiny stars below me.. caught a shiny Gastly :3 Didn't even see the thing flying over but the game basically screams at you so it's very hard to miss the shinies which is awesome. I do kind of wish he actually flew instead of just gliding but I guess they had to keep Sneaseral or whatever the hell it's called relevant.

Oh, and yes, wish the pasture UI was better. I was sad when I found out there was a max limit. The search function isn't the greatest (when you're searching for a geodude, graying out every other pokemon doesn't exactly help game...). I wish there was a way to say, move all grass types to one box, or whatever. I feel like older games had this. Also searching by shiny/alpha

I wouldn't be surprised if the pop-in complaints have something to do with other Pokemon fading out during battles and then reappearing, or the straight day/night spawn transition.
    I've noticed some legitimate pop-in, but that's largely with oblique angles in town.

Also noticed the framerate dip on flying Pokemon.

Huh, I've never seen this. I'm pretty sure it's just for NPCs and trees and stuff popping in, which is a thing that happens. The trees also like to freak out and gyrate violently at times :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

I've been assuming that they're rogue nanotech swarms left over from some ancient civilization.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I have noticed a few clipping issues that are like serious issues. Lke a few times I threw pokemon to get some item or farm some resource and they got permanently stuck on the geometry and had to reload the area.

Also another issue that I'm sure is rare but did happen to me once was getting stuck climbing up a ledge, having the animation bug out, and then the game acting like I had falled a distance enough to KO me despite only falling like two feet. To be fair I think that will only ever possibly happen from trying to break the geometry with Wydeer and get up cliffs you aren't supposed to with Wydeer. And even then with all I did that it only happened the one time. (I did not count it as failing the nuzlocke.)

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    yeah if you played Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/BDSP, you know Hisui really went to shit
    so many amazing pokemon species just vanished

Your PC caught too many of them trying to fill out their Pokédex.

• KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Just had my first crash, so that can definitely happen, lost an alpha bergmite so not to terribly beat up about it.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I found and caught a shiny driftloon, which is my first like actual in the wild shiny I've ever found in a pokemon game. (I only ever played Gens 1, 2, 3 (Briefly), and 5 before.)

At 59 hours played I've got a living dex, first time I've actually finished doing that, I normally get bored around 80% done.

I found a useful trick for filling dex entries that I think is a glitch: when you evolve a pokemon it counts as evolving both the pokemon that evolves and what it evolves into. If you evolve a Gastly it counts for the evolve Gastly task and the evolve Haunter task. This means you can complete the evolve Haunter task easily, without using a ton of link cords.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

I mean honestly
    What was Arceus thinking sending me back in time.

I haven't progressed far in the story, so most likely it's better explained later.

But if you want Pokeball culture to take over, and denude the land of its Pokemon, then sure, send me back.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2022

I mean honestly

I haven't progressed far in the story, so most likely it's better explained later.

But if you want Pokeball culture to take over, and denude the land of its Pokemon, then sure, send me back.

You dont find out until post game what the deal is but its pretty funny

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    See, now I have to assume it's the exact same plot as Katamari Damacy

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular

I mean honestly

Wait, so if I finish the main campaign and quit after the credits roll, then one of the main plot points will remain unresolved? If so, that's pretty shit.

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    I found and caught a shiny driftloon, which is my first like actual in the wild shiny I've ever found in a pokemon game. (I only ever played Gens 1, 2, 3 (Briefly), and 5 before.)

I found a shiny driftloom somewhere in first ten hours of playing, just hanging about on the path down from the first camp of first area.
    First shiny i have ever seen or caught in a pokemon game.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Alright, so after beating the main story I have now realized that I am probably NOT going to catch all the pokes. Which makes me sad.

But the space time rifts are... well... bad.

If it weren't for the reward for doing being something so big
    I would very much like to see the true ending and the final special fight
    then I wouldn't mind as much.

Having the only way to complete it and get that particular reward involving just standing around and hoping is pretty garbo design. Throughout the game I just kinda assumed there would be some way to get those easier later and then last night after finishing went to look it up and... nope. Just random dumb luck and you need to get that random dumb luck in each area and then catch all the required pokes from each rift before it's gone..

I didn't even see rifts pop up in all 5 zones throughout my entire playthrough of the story. Blah.

Otherwise though the rest of the game was quite fun! I will finish up the other post game side quests tonight and I guess just watch the rest on youtube.

Dirty wrote: »

I mean honestly

Wait, so if I finish the main campaign and quit after the credits roll, then one of the main plot points will remain unresolved? If so, that's pretty shit.

Well its a pokemon game so yes?

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    So, I haven't finished PLA yet

But the wording in the opening makes it seem like you were sent from a world that doesn't even have Pokemon

I mean honestly

Well, this is the first Pokémon game that's held my attention for more than a few hours, so you'll have to forgive me for not knowing that such bullshit is standard practice.

I'll probably just look up the real ending on YouTube after the credits roll. Way to end the game on a sour note.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    So, I haven't finished PLA yet

But the wording in the opening makes it seem like you were sent from a world that doesn't even have Pokemon

If the player character is from a world without Pokémon, it is at least a world with the Pokémon media franchise and they're a fan. They wear a shirt with a Pokéball design and have a Pokéball cover on their phone.

Which almost makes it funny that you can tell the professor that you don't know about Pokémon.

I mean honestly

Well, this is the first Pokémon game that's held my attention for more than a few hours, so you'll have to forgive me for not knowing that such bullshit is standard practice.

I'll probably just look up the real ending on YouTube after the credits roll. Way to end the game on a sour note.

You beat the main game then a bunch of extra content unlocks. It varies from entry to entry. Im not sure what the issue is. A lot of jrpgs do this

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I mean honestly

You beat the main game then a bunch of extra content unlocks. It varies from entry to entry. Im not sure what the issue is. A lot of jrpgs do this

Heck I'd argue that this game does it better than most JRPGs that do it in the completely pointless way where it doesn't actually continue the story and makes you go back to an old save and locks things away arbitrarily just to pretend they have some content after the end of the game.

However there is the one issue I noted above that completely killed it for me which is a shame. So many games do "post-game" wrong and pointless. And this one had the right idea! Until the stand around and do nothing mechanic set in.

I mean honestly

I don't mind games having post-game content to play, but I think that the main plot should be completely resolved without playing the post-game. It should be 100% optional.

I mean honestly

I don't mind games having post-game content to play, but I think that the main plot should be completely resolved without playing the post-game. It should be 100% optional.

Alternatively I don't think anything should ever be locked behind the credits unless it has some sort of continued story significance. Otherwise it's just an arbitrary lock of content that could have been enjoyed by more people.

It doesn't to be main story level significant. But should continue the story in some way in the same way side quests do(which are also optional content that offer more story details you would otherwise miss).

I spent several hours last night re-ordering my pastures into rainbow colors :P There are a LOT of blue and pink pokemon btw. Also I had five and a half boxes full of alphas :P

Also I don't understand how the boxes work because at 28 boxes the game was telling me I was "full" awhile back, but now I have 31. It just seems to give me randomly more boxes but not tied to filling up previous ones? What?

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    I spent several hours last night re-ordering my pastures into rainbow colors :P There are a LOT of blue and pink pokemon btw. Also I had five and a half boxes full of alphas :P

Also I don't understand how the boxes work because at 28 boxes the game was telling me I was "full" awhile back, but now I have 31. It just seems to give me randomly more boxes but not tied to filling up previous ones? What?

It ahould be when you have one Pokemon in each box a new set will unlock up to 32. They also entice you to release pokemon you have multiple of as theyll give you grit items

edited February 2022

It ahould be when you have one Pokemon in each box a new set will unlock up to 32. They also entice you to release pokemon you have multiple of as theyll give you grit items

Yeah but I had 28 boxes full and it was saying I couldn't catch more pokemon. This was earlier in the game (maybe when I was on the 4th area?). Now in post game I have 31 boxes, so the 28 thing was a lie. They could have given me more boxes but they didn't :(

I still do need to go through and dust a bunch of them. That was part of the reason for the color coding. It gets same pokemon sorta kinda close to each other. Better than searching across 31 boxes :P

Warlock82 on
    edited February 2022
    For some reason when Leafeon ends up in my boxes I legit cannot see it.

2 times I had to take them out of my party.

And both times I flipped through 4 boxes about 5 times each before I found it. And the first time I had to resort to using the search feature.

DemonStacey on
  • KandenKanden Registered User regular
    There's definitely something funky with box unlocks, for instance I didn't get #32 until
    Catching Arceus
    despite having at least 1 pokemon in each box before that.

Kanden wrote: »
    There's definitely something funky with box unlocks, for instance I didn't get #32 until
    Catching Arceus
    despite having at least 1 pokemon in each box before that.

Yeah, I'm *guessing* it's somehow tied to story progress? I don't know why it would be, but that's the feeling I'm getting.

edited February 2022

I mean honestly

Alternatively I don't think anything should ever be locked behind the credits unless it has some sort of continued story significance. Otherwise it's just an arbitrary lock of content that could have been enjoyed by more people.

It doesn't to be main story level significant. But should continue the story in some way in the same way side quests do(which are also optional content that offer more story details you would otherwise miss).

I think Dragon Quest XI did post-game story right. When the credits roll, the main plot points are wrapped up and the story feels complete. Then in the post-game, you get into some stupid time-travel shenanigans and it takes the story into a different (and awful) direction.

The people that like post-games are happy because they for extra content and more story, and the people that don't care for post-games are happy because they get a complete experience when the credits roll.

Speaking of rolling credits, I'm curious how close I am to that on this game. I just got done
    catching a big Pokémon who broke my red chain.

Dirty on
    edited February 2022

I mean honestly

I think Dragon Quest XI did post-game story right. When the credits roll, the main plot points are wrapped up and the story feels complete. Then in the post-game, you get into some stupid time-travel shenanigans and it takes the story into a different (and awful) direction.

The people that like post-games are happy because they for extra content and more story, and the people that don't care for post-games are happy because they get a complete experience when the credits roll.

Speaking of rolling credits, I'm curious how close I am to that on this game. I just got done
    catching a big Pokémon who broke my red chain.

Yes! I completely agree there. DQ11 had one of the best post-games I have ever played. I don't even take a second look at any post-game content if it involves loading an old save. But I loved every minute of what DQ11 did.

And to answer the question, very close. Like 30min or so close I'd say.

DemonStacey on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Well Dirty is always being ultrahyperbolically negative about the smallest things in games
    just be glad they liked this one game

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    I’m at rank 3 and in the 2nd area, and I’m maxed at 29 boxes for some odd reason.

Well Dirty is always being ultrahyperbolically negative about the smallest things in games

TBF, this would be like a movie resolving an important plot point in the DVD bonus features. If a film director did that, we wouldn't be praising him for making bonus features more rewarding.

Post game minor spoiler
    An npc says a base camp is being developed into a town. Wonder if the dlc will focus on that?

Post game minor spoiler
    An npc says a base camp is being developed into a town. Wonder if the dlc will focus on that?

I assumed that was some reference to Diamond/Pearl but I dunno for sure.

TBF, this would be like a movie resolving an important plot point in the DVD bonus features. If a film director did that, we wouldn't be praising him for making bonus features more rewarding.

What important plot point? I would not call the stuff that happens when you collect all pokemon an important plot point. Maybe wait until you've finished the game before saying it doesn't resolve something?