As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Apex Legends]: Breakout is here! 5 years of ApeLegs!

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    The Volt is one of my favorites for when I rock a less multi-purpose secondary like a Sentinel or Peacekeeper, so I'm sad to see it go, but I also acknowledge that it's a ludicrously good gun and a damage/capacity bump will make it worth a Care Package grab when available. I did like how threatening the Disruptor Rounds Alternator was in late game circles but the boosted Volt will honestly be just as good

I didn't see a single G7 last season in Care Package drops though, I miss her (even if the TT and 30-30 are also fun)

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Control has the worst UI ever.

No map, very little info on what's happening, it's just absolute chaos.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    After watching Two Angry Gamers play it, I don't think the lack of a map is all that big of an issue. Probably the biggest issue is the lack of a matchmaker, which (from how it looked on their end) means seal clubbing by people who've been exclusively playing Apex for the past three years is likely to ensue.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    the ui is bad because they added a bunch of extra keybinds that overlap with your current ones which is real dumb

control itself is good though but the death recap should not be the thing that comes up by default, it should be the respawn so you don't get boned out of a spawn wave because having to bring up where you respawn when it's on a timer is completely headass

• Options
    Orphane wrote: »
    the ui is bad because they added a bunch of extra keybinds that overlap with your current ones which is real dumb

control itself is good though but the death recap should not be the thing that comes up by default, it should be the respawn so you don't get boned out of a spawn wave because having to bring up where you respawn when it's on a timer is completely headass

Yeah, wasn't really commenting on the other parts of the UI...just the notion that a map/minimap was a necessary component to a not-bad UI. I actually kinda like the removal of a map. What I don't like is the lack of SBMM of any kind. Missing a spawn wave sucks, sure, but it's not the worst. Constantly seeing the spawn screen because you're going up against teams made up of people who've played Apex 18 hours a day for the past 3 years? That's just going to make me avoid playing the game entirely.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I don't know about the quality of the Control gametype when it comes down to particulars, but it's fun to jump in and shoot dudes.

This is much closer to what I wanted out of an alternative to Battle Royale than Arenas is.

• Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Yeah, wasn't really commenting on the other parts of the UI...just the notion that a map/minimap was a necessary component to a not-bad UI. I actually kinda like the removal of a map. What I don't like is the lack of SBMM of any kind. Missing a spawn wave sucks, sure, but it's not the worst. Constantly seeing the spawn screen because you're going up against teams made up of people who've played Apex 18 hours a day for the past 3 years? That's just going to make me avoid playing the game entirely.

ok? i wasn't responding to you in the first place, just giving my first impressions of the mode

• Options

ok? i wasn't responding to you in the first place, just giving my first impressions of the mode

Just bad timing the post started off with an explanation on how the UI is bad after I was specifically talking about how the UI isn't all that bad. I'm sure you can see how that might be taken/read.

• Options
    edited February 2022

Just bad timing the post started off with an explanation on how the UI is bad after I was specifically talking about how the UI isn't all that bad. I'm sure you can see how that might be taken/read.

sure, i can see it

anyways, the apex playerbase's conditioning to run towards fights means you can do dumb things like just run at the enemy point closest to their spawn and backcap all game and it leads to huge swings in points because 1) people are like "surely someone nearby will take care of it" and keep running at B and 2) capping the enemy's closest point denies them the ability to respawn at B so even if they do control B if you backcap A/C you will eventually cause them to lose B if they do nothing to recover A/C simply by sheer attrition; the longer you can hold out the more pronounced this effect becomes

if you have a friend or two who are on board with this strat it becomes even dumber because people are extremely unlikely to beat a coordinated 2/3 man defending a point when they filter in 1 by 1 unless they outskill you by a bunch. just take the car at spawn, wait for A/C to cap and the fighting at B to begin, and beeline straight for the other point

I like Barometer better than Labs because Barometer's sniper nest is situated on top of B which encourages and also requires you to engage with the objectives - being on top of the tower at B means you can harass and try to slow the flow of enemy reinforcements, but you can still drop down to defend B when needed. Labs is lamer imo because the high point is less tactically valuable due to the labs being so huge but B being a small portion of it and the high point being situated that there are many ways around it which makes it more or less a newb trap 90% of the time

Orphane on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

PS5/Xbox Series versions just got rated in Taiwan and Europe, so they should be coming soon

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022

Heads up, legends: We're aware of and investigating an issue causing frame rate loss on Olympus for our PS4, Xbox 1, and Switch players. More info to come as we have it.

I heard about this on a twitter thread, and then jumped in. It's weird, kind of hard to look at, at least with my PS4 Pro playing on the big screen. Definitely feels jittery/like a lower FPS or something.

Managed to play enough to get to battle pass level 2, and out of Bronze into Silver, as were my goals for the day, but I am hoping they fix it sooner rather than later.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    unknown.png

it is actually dirty how well this strategy works

i don't see B all game, it may as well not exist

do note however that this works very well on Barometer due to distances involved, it works less well on Labs because there's a big distance between A and C and you're likely to spawn and have some teammate in a hurry to die at B take the car

Orphane on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Control is kinda interesting playing solo, despite having a much bigger team it sometimes feels lonelier than standard trios cos you can't really coordinate with that many people!

It's fun though, even in the (multiple) games we've been stuck in our spawn point by masters players it's still entertaining by virtue of being able to get back in the fight so quickly. Maybe some of the weapon load outs could do with tweaking (or maybe even just let us choose from a couple of lists) cos there are some clear standouts that everyone in the game ends up using, but it's not a big deal.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    The issues I have with the mode right now are 1. No matchmaking means you can get lasered from the other side of the map by someone with 30k kills 2. The way the control/kill bonus points are awarded means players who are doing well will always be ahead of players doing poorly, and it makes it that much harder to catch up as every death resets your weapons. 3. When things to turn against your team people seem to have a tendency to just leave, and there's no mechanic for joining mid-game, so one team will just be at a permanent disadvantage for the rest of the game.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    edited February 2022

sure, i can see it

anyways, the apex playerbase's conditioning to run towards fights means you can do dumb things like just run at the enemy point closest to their spawn and backcap all game and it leads to huge swings in points because 1) people are like "surely someone nearby will take care of it" and keep running at B and 2) capping the enemy's closest point denies them the ability to respawn at B so even if they do control B if you backcap A/C you will eventually cause them to lose B if they do nothing to recover A/C simply by sheer attrition; the longer you can hold out the more pronounced this effect becomes

if you have a friend or two who are on board with this strat it becomes even dumber because people are extremely unlikely to beat a coordinated 2/3 man defending a point when they filter in 1 by 1 unless they outskill you by a bunch. just take the car at spawn, wait for A/C to cap and the fighting at B to begin, and beeline straight for the other point

I like Barometer better than Labs because Barometer's sniper nest is situated on top of B which encourages and also requires you to engage with the objectives - being on top of the tower at B means you can harass and try to slow the flow of enemy reinforcements, but you can still drop down to defend B when needed. Labs is lamer imo because the high point is less tactically valuable due to the labs being so huge but B being a small portion of it and the high point being situated that there are many ways around it which makes it more or less a newb trap 90% of the time

I'm getting flashbacks to Battlefield, where teams will completely ignore objectives and just keep on going to "the fights". I was playing solo and I was the only idiot in my team backcapping the other team, which was of course much better coordinated, so you'd have me all alone in their point and I'd have 6 people swarm me immediately. The worst part was that this would mean the middle point would have less enemies, so surely my team would cap it?

Nope, everyone sitting back away from the objective, just trying to kill people from a distance.

After that I had a really good 12 kill 2.8k damage game using Seer, who I really believe is compeltely underrated because people think he was nerfed too much, but the heartbeat sensor is broooooken, so I always knew what way were people coming at me from. What happens when you get to tier 4? I got to 3 and it made my weapons gold, and I was running a 301, just melting dudes and finishing them off with the hammerpoint 2020.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying control, and it's almost like they read my mind for the Crypto changes. I've been looking for more of an arena shooter rather than being stuck with teammates you want to play Apex Looter, but I don't want to fuss with Destiny or CoD. I agree with most people though, let me pick my guns, the load outs kind of suck.

• Options
    Fun moment from yesterday, when my wireless mouse battery died a 2nd time:

https://youtu.be/cic7JJAtPGg

• Options
    Satsumomo wrote: »

sure, i can see it

I'm getting flashbacks to Battlefield, where teams will completely ignore objectives and just keep on going to "the fights". I was playing solo and I was the only idiot in my team backcapping the other team, which was of course much better coordinated, so you'd have me all alone in their point and I'd have 6 people swarm me immediately. The worst part was that this would mean the middle point would have less enemies, so surely my team would cap it?

Nope, everyone sitting back away from the objective, just trying to kill people from a distance.

After that I had a really good 12 kill 2.8k damage game using Seer, who I really believe is compeltely underrated because people think he was nerfed too much, but the heartbeat sensor is broooooken, so I always knew what way were people coming at me from. What happens when you get to tier 4? I got to 3 and it made my weapons gold, and I was running a 301, just melting dudes and finishing them off with the hammerpoint 2020.

people not playing objectives is a tale as old as time for any domination/control game mode, it's true. there's not really anything you can do about that other than try to herd cats, but i'm still kind of unclear on how comms are set up when they jury rigged 3 sets of trios together in Control

Is there an official post or something from an Apex dev saying there's no SBMM? I haven't really felt the lack thereof if there isn't, because every time I lost in Control yesterday it wasn't because some masters 3 stack was spawn camping us, it was because my team failed to meaningfully accomplish any tactical objectives and instead just rammed their heads into the meat grinder fighting somewhere that wasn't on a point. Like yeah, I got beamed by a masters player every now and then but also that happens in normals too with the only saving grace in BR being that the same higher skilled player can't keep farming you since you'll be in a different game.

• Options
    Something I've noticed in Control: It seems like everyone is constantly showing up as in Maggie's passive, even though from where I can see, they are not being shot by someone using Maggie. Anyone else see this?

• Options
    yeah people do get mysteriously highlighted sometimes in my Control games

could be a maggie bug, could be a thing respawn implemented to make picking fights easier, who knows

• Options
    Hell, it's happening in Ranked as well. I'd be in the middle of nowhere, minding my own business, and suddenly see the Warlord's Ire or whatever it is pop up.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Arteen wrote: »
    I don't know about the quality of the Control gametype when it comes down to particulars, but it's fun to jump in and shoot dudes.

This is much closer to what I wanted out of an alternative to Battle Royale than Arenas is.

If nothing else the fact that Control forces you into specific loadouts means I've gotten a few rounds of practice with guns I'm bad at and frequently used to avoid like the Wingman or Longbow

Not gonna say I'm tremendously consistent with either yet but, just getting some challenges more intense than firing range bots and also less snappy than Arenas is nice (though I am a known Arenas liker, at least as a casual mode, and I think Arenas is great for practicing team positioning and movement )

edit: hot take my brain just churned out, but, Control feels more Team Fortress 2 or Halo Big Battle to me than Titanfall 2 in its current state, which isn't a bad thing but it's definitely funky

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Yeah I've always felt that I've slept on the bow, so I did some games with it and I'm surprised how accurate I am with it, so I took it into BR and did really well.

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Something I've noticed in Control: It seems like everyone is constantly showing up as in Maggie's passive, even though from where I can see, they are not being shot by someone using Maggie. Anyone else see this?

According to a Respawn dev on Reddit this is a Control-specific feature to allow you to distinguish friend from foe a bit more easily.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    finnith wrote: »

According to a Respawn dev on Reddit this is a Control-specific feature to allow you to distinguish friend from foe a bit more easily.

Yep, also seems to get brighter if people stand still to prevent camping

• Options

sure, i can see it

people not playing objectives is a tale as old as time for any domination/control game mode, it's true. there's not really anything you can do about that other than try to herd cats, but i'm still kind of unclear on how comms are set up when they jury rigged 3 sets of trios together in Control

Is there an official post or something from an Apex dev saying there's no SBMM? I haven't really felt the lack thereof if there isn't, because every time I lost in Control yesterday it wasn't because some masters 3 stack was spawn camping us, it was because my team failed to meaningfully accomplish any tactical objectives and instead just rammed their heads into the meat grinder fighting somewhere that wasn't on a point. Like yeah, I got beamed by a masters player every now and then but also that happens in normals too with the only saving grace in BR being that the same higher skilled player can't keep farming you since you'll be in a different game.

Lucky. Anecdotal and all that, but every match I've been in has instantly dropped (no waiting for matchmaking) and been an absolute shitshow of Masters spawn camping the 4 people who don't like quitting mid-match.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I finally got to play some Control this morning and it rules, it's just good dumb fun. I really like that they don't show how many times you died in the end screen because I know and I don't need the game to rub it in and it doesn't feel serious enough for me to care about my stats in. I really, really like that when you kill someone they die, I am perpetually frustrated by how many people I knock in the BR that don't count for anything because I get killed before I can finish either the kill or their squad. I haven't played much but everyone seemed pretty focused on the objective in the games I played, to varying degrees of success, I hope they bring Control back frequently or experiment with other modes like this.

Also three games in and all but I prefer the Storm Point map to the Olympus map, if only because I like the loadouts better (triple take/alternator and hemlock/mastiff are both better than anything you can get on Olympus).

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Are the loadouts map dependent? I assumed they were just rotating on a timer.
    I agree that barometer is generally more fun then Hammond labs though, the capture points are in more of an equal triangle than a line so I think the game often flows better.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Maybe the two timers are different, I just know I had one set of loadouts on one map and then when the map switched the guns did too. Either way, I like one set of loadouts way more than I like the other, inasmuch as Bocek/CAR is pretty fun.

Edit: also hip firing someone with a shattercap Bocek is dumb good fun, what a good way to use that hop-up.

Peen on
  • Options
    finnith wrote: »

Heh, damn they need to fix it then, because it highlights people behind cover.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Fun moment from yesterday, when my wireless mouse battery died a 2nd time:

https://youtu.be/cic7JJAtPGg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4Dqh6IGdL8

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_R1qwkUKuY

A 15 second clip that made me simultaneously feel guilty and laugh.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    The crashes are getting out of hand.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    Ok so apologies for my dumb post earlier in the week, Control loadouts aren't determined by the map, it's more random then that (which you all probably knew but still). I'm loving this mode, it turns out Apex still feels great when you turn it into a different kind of game!

I did enjoy very much last night when one of the loadouts was R99/P2020 and that's what 97% of everyone was using.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Same goes when it's the R301, one of my best matches too (Something like 12-2). I still don't know what happens when you reach the last tier.

If you want to remove the intro vid to ease the frustration from crashing, just rename startupvids.txt from the game's media folder.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    Oh, we got King's Canyon! I thought it would be Olympus - Stormpoint.

• Options
    It's good to see that the changes to Olympus did absolutely nothing to make fights not end up in the stupid Hammond Labs area.

• Options
    While I like the new Point of Interest, like the new path under the phase runner, and know they opened up at least one section, it doesn't feel like it's all that massive a change to the map.

Or maybe that's less about the changes, and more a matter of 'everyone drops at Estates/Hammond' and thus those of us who don't but live to the last few rings get dragged over there anyways.

Not to jinx it, but getting out of Bronze back to Gold didn't take long at all, and progress is being made towards my usual seasonal goal of Plat, perhaps with a chance to actually play at that rank for a session or two.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    I only say that because IIRC the notes specifically said they didn't want all fights to end up there, but it's the inherent map design, it's just the most common way to get anywhere and for the same reason, all fights end up there.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Pretty pleased with this 1v3 for the win. Nvidia didn't record my voice, which is probably for the best at the end where I was squealing rather excessively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9nwoAL-9kM