As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Laptop not entering sleep mode

deathnote666deathnote666 Registered User regular
New HP laptop. Windows 10.

Laptop doesn't enter sleep mode. Power LED switches to slow flash indicating sleep mode but never actually enters sleep mode.

Hibernate mode still works.

Bios, drivers up to date. Tried resetting bios to default.

Power options properly configured.

No windows updates available/up to date.

Windows power troubleshooter doesn't find any problems.

Resetting to factory from HP cloud assistant doesn't help.

Hardware diagnostics show no error.

HP support assistant shows no updates.

No viruses/malware.

HP support told me to pound sand.

• BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    I do not have an answer as such, but look into what programs/services are running in the background ie. something must be keeping the system awake.

Starting point ought to be something you installed yourself, however with the ton of crapware that computers from most brands comes with pre installed these days there is no way to be 100% it is not something that HP put on the machine.

If you haven't invested to much into setting the machine up already, then maybe the best way forward is to do a clean windows install so you limit what is on the system.

EDIT: By clean windows install I mean downloading the install media from Microsoft and installing that. Using your Windows license from HP may or may not work for that, if not you should be able to buy a replacement license for about $10 on one of those license sellers.

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Power options properly configured

There can still be a mismatch between options in Windows that makes one contradict the other. Does right click on Start->Shut Down or sign-out->Sleep put the computer to sleep, or does it wake up immediately? Is the issue only happening when you close the lid?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Have you tried using command line: powercfg /requests

Should show you any programs that are overriding the Windows 10 sleep mode

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Have you tried using command line: powercfg /requests

Should show you any programs that are overriding the Windows 10 sleep mode

I believe you have to run this command as an administrator, fyi.

• deathnote666deathnote666 Registered User regular
    Thanks for the replies.

I ran a keep files only in place upgrade using a windows iso and no change. That seemed to wipe most/all of the hp stuff out and no change.

I swapped out the hard drive when I got it for a higher capacity and restored the original hard drive image using a system image on the new hard drive so the original is out of the box. Issue occurs when the original hard drive is used.

The only way I can even get the power LED to slow blink like sleep mode is having the power option for lid close to put it to sleep. Other methods of sleep mode won't trigger that much.

Laptop never enters sleep mode. No changes in hard drive activity, etc. so it wakes up right away since it never actually went to sleep.

Ran powercfg /requests and got it down to none in each category. No change.

• mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    I’m thinking there’s a driver preventing it from entering sleep. To be honest though, with those kinds of problems it’s probably easiest to just wipe the drive and do a clean windows install, not an in place upgrade.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Before you wipe it, do a powercfg /h off and see if killing the hiberfil helps. That hibernate file is the bane of my existence with weird problems like this one.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    HP are dicks when it comes to installing windows fresh from a bootable media and requires a 16gb+ download. This would wipe the hard drive and only reinstall windows back to factory HP specs. I have a 3mbs download speed so it would take awhile to download.

Just booting from a windows media doesn't have hard drive drivers, seems to be impossible to get them without running the above download.

Not 100% sure if I can run a pure windows reinstall from bootable media without having it install the HP optimized version.

Did a powercfg /h off. It allowed me to enter the fake sleep mode I'm stuck with with the start menu sleep option instead of closing the lid but no other progress than that.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Sometimes I just go down the list of the device-manager and check which ones have permission to override sleep, and think about whether I want that.

Is this running a RAID configuration or something exotic? I’ve only ever seen one time I needed drivers for a hard drive and that was trying to load WinXP on a recent machine for laughs.

You should be should be able to download a Win 10/11 image from Microsoft directly, IIRC it was around 4GB.

Haven't found anything in device manager.

No RAID. Just HP being dicks so I have to rely on their support.

I have a windows image directly from microsoft but won't work without HP's download. It would also be more than 10% of my monthly data for my home internet.

I’ve installed fresh Windows copies on practically every brand there is out there… HP, Dell, Acer, fucking eMachines. The only time one didn’t work was when I tried to install XP on a modern system for laughs. So when you say it doesn’t work, I’m not really sure what that means. Does it give you an error message? Does it not recognize the SATA controller? Outside of a missing hardware driver there should be nothing stopping a clean install without HP’s nonsense, and if there is a driver issue I’m 99% sure that can be loaded into the flash drive for a successful install.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    If there's an octane drive in there that can fuck with bare metal installations.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter