As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Lost Ark] - Machinist & Kakul-Saydon raid out in September

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Stationary wrote: »
    Made it to 42 before I decided to call it a night, I love a support class that's not just a healer and paladin is like the perfect encapsulation of what I want, it's great.

Ya I've been having a ton of fun with my paladin. Doesn't hurt that the skill animations and the overall aesthetic are pretty great.

H0b0man on
    FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    Logged off for now to take a break and eat dinner (also to relax the eyes before FF14 raid tonight)

Game is fun? Playing Sorceress, made it to level 18 and just hit the second continent. Combat feels nice; I like that Sorc can just kinda make things explode + chaining spells together to keep stuff knocked sky high is fun. Following this guide for a leveling build; it's working fine so far. In no real hurry so I'm going pretty slow and just taking my time with stuff like side quests and the social links.

There are a whole lot of systems that I don't really get yet, but I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually.

I thought about watching some Class leveling guides, but then realized you can respec whenever you want so there's really no way to mess up your character and (for me at least) using a guide removes the "learning" I do with a class. Once I hit level cap (which I guess was increased) I'll check out a guide before jumping into the big stuff to see if I "agree. . ." with the suggested play style.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I'm surprised I had absolutely no problem getting in the game what I AM surprised by is that the game is real real dull.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    I was interested in the game based on what it was compared to early on before localization. Then I read about the monetization and thought surely they're joking or mistranslating the costs.

Game looks pretty, I probably won't play it but am very interested in what ways they change it for the western market.

I feel like Path Of Exile has moved the needle on what's considered good value and Lost Ark still looks like it's competing with Diablo 3 during the real money auction house era.

Will it still cost literally thousands of dollars to upgrade items?

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    If I didn't know this was getting well-reviewed I'm not sure I'd have made it past these intro cutscenes to see the gameplay. They have some real Xbox Live Indie Game energy.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    I was interested in the game based on what it was compared to early on before localization. Then I read about the monetization and thought surely they're joking or mistranslating the costs.

Game looks pretty, I probably won't play it but am very interested in what ways they change it for the western market.

I feel like Path Of Exile has moved the needle on what's considered good value and Lost Ark still looks like it's competing with Diablo 3 during the real money auction house era.

Where are you getting that information from? As far as I can tell, it costs zero money to upgrade items, even in late game.

I believe there are ways to use the in-game shop to skip some of the grind, is that what you're talking about? But like....why would anyone do that? You're paying money to...not play the game.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    No the game will not take that much money to upgrade items. It will just take time and alts if you want to speed it up faster. This game has many aspects that are superior to PoE. PoE still has a Chris problem. They still havent fixed it from the "make it harder to fit PoE2" changes. You still die not knowing what killed you (screen effect bloat still sucks) and you die more often earlier in the gearing experience. It limits what you can play and with the new map system even more min maxing which can be positive or negative. Overall I liked the changes to mapping though as the stones and etc were just horrible. One of the worst changes ever in the game.

This game is a class based arpg. It has MMO aspects and gacha/money aspects. But from all the vods I have watched it doesnt really make it P2W. It makes it P2end game faster. You still have to have the skill caps to play the characters and if you are beating up T3 faster well ok. You dont have anything else to do now for PVE. PVP from what I have seen has its own issues but it is not required and for the dedicated as the rewards are not all that good.

What this game has is great for people like me. It has all of the systems on top of systems to grind out. It has tiered based progression that allows you to set goals. And the gameplay is just really fun.

As with any monetized game it does make sense to look into what becomes an issue as you run out of "free" but everything ive watched about this game has shown that money is not needed.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I love when character creators let you blend hair.

(size)
    Adorable mage girl
    unknown.png

And my angy goth rogue
    unknown.png

It's kind of interesting that character appearances are unique to each archetype, although I'm not sure how much I agree with that in practice since it's part of a few weird overall restrictions like gender locking classes (I wanted to be a heavy armored Sister of Battle Paladin but none of the Warriors can be female ???why???)

• Options
    Kamar wrote: »
    If I didn't know this was getting well-reviewed I'm not sure I'd have made it past these intro cutscenes to see the gameplay. They have some real Xbox Live Indie Game energy.

There's def some of that going on, but from the bit I played in the beta there were a number of really cool set pieces to play through that made up for it.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I love when character creators let you blend hair.

(size)
    Adorable mage girl
    unknown.png

And my angy goth rogue
    unknown.png

It's kind of interesting that character appearances are unique to each archetype, although I'm not sure how much I agree with that in practice since it's part of a few weird overall restrictions like gender locking classes (I wanted to be a heavy armored Sister of Battle Paladin but none of the Warriors can be female ???why???)

Well you see it's illegal to make a game in Korea where women are not elfen waifs

This is a joke but it sure feels like the truth

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Some people want to play Lunkle, the beefcake elven sorceress. Probably never going to happen in a Korean game though; aesthetically forbidden.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

It's annoying, but they have been putting out alternate versions of classes for the other gender. Like how gunslinger and deadeye are variants of each other. I think they've stated they eventually want to have male and female versions of each class, but it'll be quite a while until we're at that point.

For warrior specifically they did announce female berzerker at their last big winter event, but I don't know when she's getting released in Korea, let alone the other regions.

• Options
    Fem paladin would be my choice... IF I HAD ONE

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    It should be illegal for a video game to not allow you to create a sword waifu

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I'm surprised I had absolutely no problem getting in the game what I AM surprised by is that the game is real real dull.

I just got out of a pretty lengthy and large "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" dungeon with a multiple-phase boss fight and boss mechanics. This is in the third area at level 20 (not even halfway to max). Dull isn't what I would describe the game as. Slow start? Possibly, but most MMO's are. However this game fast tracks the "epic" far quicker than any other MMO I've played honestly.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I'm kind of mixed right now. The combat is fun, all the ability sets are well animated. The character creation stuff is top notch. As others mentioned, blending, 2-tone, adjustments, etc all stuff every game with a creator should have in it.

The downsides: queued log in's, crashes all the time (even with updated drivers), the UI looks like vomit (so many buttons everywhere), the story so far is really bad, and bloat everywhere. I'm getting items and have no idea what most of them do.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited February 2022

Where are you getting that information from? As far as I can tell, it costs zero money to upgrade items, even in late game.

I believe there are ways to use the in-game shop to skip some of the grind, is that what you're talking about? But like....why would anyone do that? You're paying money to...not play the game.

https://youtu.be/n8kjS_z-Yiw

Korean version commentary. No one has to go apeshit and spend thousands, but it will be interesting to see how it's changed if at all.

I'd be tempted to play if it wasn't gender locked classes. It's 2022, that's pretty stupid.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    It should be illegal for a video game to not allow you to create a sword waifu

Well the assassins are in so you have the super stabby sword waifu and demon hunter sword waifu... unless you meant BIG sword waifu.

Personally, I need polearm waifu. Delayed character creation and the dumb naming rules meant I had to try about 500 names, but in the end I'm kind of happy with the "Lancelotte" I was able to get for my eventual Lance Master.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    I mean ive put in 4k hours into PoE. If the game continues to be fun it shouldnt be an issue.

• Options
    I have no idea if they're going to do any changes to T3 gear progression for the west, but there have been some other smaller changes they've done.

Pet effects for example, are tied to the crystalline aura instead of being their own separate thing you have to buy like in Korea. Additionally, each pet can give you 2 stat buffs, one defensive and one offensive. In Korea you have to spend a currency to reroll both which stat you get and how big the stat bonus is. For our version though you can just change the buffs to whatever you want for free and you automatically get the strongest version of the buff. Zero RNG.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    I feel like I'm playing the game differently than everyone I see. Every dungeon is me being the one person not skipping cutscenes and lagging behind because I'm scouring the map for seeds. I'd imagine people are annoyed with me, but nobody talks in dungeons so it's hard to tell. I could understand if people were just chaining dungeons and had already been through them 5 times, but are people doing that? If so, why?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    I've been doing all the dungeons solo specifically so I can poke around for seeds and look at the environment.

So far it's been fairly simple even on hard mode.

• Options
    BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular

https://youtu.be/n8kjS_z-Yiw

Korean version commentary. No one has to go apeshit and spend thousands, but it will be interesting to see how it's changed if at all.

I'd be tempted to play if it wasn't gender locked classes. It's 2022, that's pretty stupid.

I feel like this is an edge case- he's talking about the cost of immediately maxing out brand new characters according to a tier list that changed every two weeks or so. So sure, there's a way to spend tens of thousands of dollars but it's the opposite of mandatory and this guy spends the first few minutes talking about how unnecessary it is.

PSN: thewheelz
  • Options
    H0b0man wrote: »
    I've been doing all the dungeons solo specifically so I can poke around for seeds and look at the environment.

So far it's been fairly simple even on hard mode.

I guess I assumed the ones with matchmaking were balanced to be done in a group.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I think the 100% mandatory heels on every single female character design is the only thing that really gets under my skin about Korean female fantasy character design.

Everyone being 90lbs with a 30lb chest and literally glowing skin is somehow more understandable than that part to me.

• Options
    Also why does this game take forever to start up? I timed it yesterday and it's like 40 seconds to get through the anti-cheat to the small game splash, and another 40 seconds before the client actually launches (all on an M2). I've never seen anything like it.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Also why does this game take forever to start up? I timed it yesterday and it's like 40 seconds to get through the anti-cheat to the small game splash, and another 40 seconds before the client actually launches (all on an M2). I've never seen anything like it.

On a non-SSD it's even longer, so I'm guessing it's a lot of drive access that it does inefficiently.

admanb on
  • Options
    I feel like I'm playing the game differently than everyone I see. Every dungeon is me being the one person not skipping cutscenes and lagging behind because I'm scouring the map for seeds. I'd imagine people are annoyed with me, but nobody talks in dungeons so it's hard to tell. I could understand if people were just chaining dungeons and had already been through them 5 times, but are people doing that? If so, why?

I did that for the first few areas. I've decided now to just keep a lot of the Adventure Tome stuff until endgame, especially the seeds, which require you to really be observant in some dungeons for secret areas. The first couple of dungeons are easy, but the first REAL dungeon has twice the amount of seeds and is more than you just running down a corridor to a boss.

. . .the cutscenes I am not skipping so people are just going to have to deal with that (not my fault you already played this game for 1K hours on a Russian server). The story is definitely whatever (but at least not boring) but would be even worse if I didn't know what was going on.
    I guess I assumed the [dungeons] with matchmaking were balanced to be done in a group.

I believe they are. The game will tell you that the dungeon has been tuned down if everyone in your party leaves at the end.
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    I'm kind of mixed right now. The combat is fun, all the ability sets are well animated. The character creation stuff is top notch. As others mentioned, blending, 2-tone, adjustments, etc all stuff every game with a creator should have in it.

The downsides: queued log in's, crashes all the time (even with updated drivers), the UI looks like vomit (so many buttons everywhere), the story so far is really bad, and bloat everywhere. I'm getting items and have no idea what most of them do.

I think that's just the nature of a game that has been out for this long. It's the same as a new person (or hell a returning person) going to FF: I played through release, but when I went back a few months before ENDWALKER, I almost quit because there was just way too much shit going on. My advice, just ignore massive amounts of stuff until it becomes needed or you have time to actually investigate it. I was collecting these seeds and stressing about understanding the cards until I realized none of this will matter until I need it to and I'm still far from that point.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    I think the 100% mandatory heels on every single female character design is the only thing that really gets under my skin about Korean female fantasy character design.

Everyone being 90lbs with a 30lb chest and literally glowing skin is somehow more understandable than that part to me.

It's very understandable, if you assume the developers are cis men who have been taught by their society to have deeply ingrained sexist ways of thinking, who have likely never even stopped to interrogate their assumption that female characters are primarily sex objects that exist to titillate cis male players. Girls aren't the target market for these kinds of video games so therefore male character designs are power fantasy and female character designs are cheesecake :rotate:

this isn't a unique complaint about just lost ark, nor a unique complaint about just korean games. Western developers have plenty of the same issues but boy does it stick out to me in korean games.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    So I do have one issue with paladin.

Dude uses his sword right-handed. He draws and sheathes his sword over his right shoulder.

Why the hell does my sword rest on my back with the hilt over my left shoulder?

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Discovered this had controller support last night. Always one of my favorite touches in ARPG's now. Since Diablo 3 kind of nailed it in the console versions it's become my preferred input method for these games. Their default controller binding seems a bit complicated in some cases, but hey, it's there, and it's all remappable, so I'm happy.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    ED! wrote: »
    I think that's just the nature of a game that has been out for this long. It's the same as a new person (or hell a returning person) going to FF: I played through release, but when I went back a few months before ENDWALKER, I almost quit because there was just way too much shit going on. My advice, just ignore massive amounts of stuff until it becomes needed or you have time to actually investigate it. I was collecting these seeds and stressing about understanding the cards until I realized none of this will matter until I need it to and I'm still far from that point.

Yah -- this is a brain tweak you have to do to work with long-running games like MMOs/PoE/Destiny. If it's equippable and has higher number than your equipped gear, equip it. If it's a collectible/card/whatever, use it and forget it. If it's a usable box that doesn't give you a choice, use it. If it's a usable box that does give you a choice, leave it in your inventory until you understand the choice.

I'm guessing you could ignore 90% of the non-core systems pre-50 and barely even notice a difference (though running without an ability stone could hurt just because you'll have 2/3rds the HP) so if you look at something and don't understand what you're supposed to do with it, just ignore it. You've got plenty of inventory space.

admanb on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular

It's very understandable, if you assume the developers are cis men who have been taught by their society to have deeply ingrained sexist ways of thinking, who have likely never even stopped to interrogate their assumption that female characters are primarily sex objects that exist to titillate cis male players. Girls aren't the target market for these kinds of video games so therefore male character designs are power fantasy and female character designs are cheesecake :rotate:

this isn't a unique complaint about just lost ark, nor a unique complaint about just korean games. Western developers have plenty of the same issues but boy does it stick out to me in korean games.

in the west at least this does seem to be changing, or at least people are becoming more aware of how silly it really is

I don't know anything about how the culture is in korea so I tend to assume this stuff is just more winked at than it is here

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Can someone explain the 1 character per account thing? I have the bronze box and some other items like an aura, but they mentioned 1 character per account. I'm not 100% sure I'm going with the Sorceress, should I just wait?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Can someone explain the 1 character per account thing? I have the bronze box and some other items like an aura, but they mentioned 1 character per account. I'm not 100% sure I'm going with the Sorceress, should I just wait?

I believe all the rewards in the box are account wide, but you can only claim the box once on one character. The crystal aura is definitely an account buff not a character one.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    It means you can only redeem the bronze box on one character per account, however most things, like the aura, are shared between characters on the same server (might be region, but for sure server at least).

It's so you can't keep creating characters to redeem the founders pack over and over. I think the only things that are actually limited to one character are the plat and gold skins. Those will be locked to whatever character redeems the specific skin chest. Note that is different than the pack as whole. When you redeem a gold or plat pack the skin chests will be put in your inventory. You can then put those chests in your roster storage if you want to transfer it to a different character.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I'm a little discouraged about playing this. I watched a couple head start streams and it looks fun, but the classes I wanted to try all seem to be at the bottom for desireability.

• Options
    Artereis wrote: »
    I'm a little discouraged about playing this. I watched a couple head start streams and it looks fun, but the classes I wanted to try all seem to be at the bottom for desireability.

What do you mean desireability? There's no "trinity" here so you can just play what you want honestly.
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Discovered this had controller support last night. Always one of my favorite touches in ARPG's now. Since Diablo 3 kind of nailed it in the console versions it's become my preferred input method for these games. Their default controller binding seems a bit complicated in some cases, but hey, it's there, and it's all remappable, so I'm happy.

Where are you seeing the controller remap? I was looking for that yesterday and am not seeing it (I only see it for KB&M).

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »

Yeah I don't think I've heard of any classes (outside of the memes about DPS Paladin in T3) that are considered undesirable, just that the supports and Gunlancer are generally looked on pretty fairly.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    There is no dps meter in the game. And from what I remember this is a pretty hardline stance to limit toxicity during grouping that is core to a large portion of the game.

Jubal77 on