As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Labor] Thread: strike while the iron is hot!

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    The stuff in Canada is union adjacent? Or does it have the backing of their Teamsters Union or equivalent?
    Antivax stuff in the UK has general had union support, but not the backing of professional organisations (so care home staff have union backing to not get the jab, but the medical staff don't) but the mandate is not as far reaching as the Canadian one is apparently.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    As someone who works with the Teamsters, I would like to dispute the claim that police guilds are the most powerful and active unions in the US. :P

I don't worry about Teamsters showing up at my house at 3 am and shooting me, my wife, and my pets because they got the wrong address.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    The stuff in Canada is union adjacent? Or does it have the backing of their Teamsters Union or equivalent?
    Antivax stuff in the UK has general had union support, but not the backing of professional organisations (so care home staff have union backing to not get the jab, but the medical staff don't) but the mandate is not as far reaching as the Canadian one is apparently.

Last I checked, the Teamsters fully back vaccine mandates on the condition that their represented workers get paid for any time they're put out by jab recovery. My local chapter of IBEW did the same thing. There were a handful of local employers that whined about it, but they all ultimately folded when they realized it's not a good idea to pick a fight with the people who deliver freight and keep the lights on.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    As someone who works with the Teamsters, I would like to dispute the claim that police guilds are the most powerful and active unions in the US. :P

I don't worry about Teamsters showing up at my house at 3 am and shooting me, my wife, and my pets because they got the wrong address.

At least not getting away with it

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

AFAIK the shit going down in Ottawa has nothing to do with unions or even really the trucking industry.

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular

Last I checked, the Teamsters fully back vaccine mandates on the condition that their represented workers get paid for any time they're put out by jab recovery. My local chapter of IBEW did the same thing. There were a handful of local employers that whined about it, but they all ultimately folded when they realized it's not a good idea to pick a fight with the people who deliver freight and keep the lights on.

I was initially a little skeptical of this, thinking that "the vaccine might also save your life, maybe get over that".... then I realized I was being fucking obtuse and a day or two of extra PTO is peanuts compared to your staff being gone for a couple weeks or more a year and/or DEAD. This now seems like something that should be made a legal requirements (along with guaranteed PTO on voting days), all vaccines should include PTO for recovery that covers at least 75% of all expected recoveries.

There is some potential for abuse, but it also gets more people vaxxed and gets us a healthier, more productive workforce in general.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Two cats from the internet explain how to form a Union

It’s so exciting that so many workers are asking about how to form a union where you work! Jean helped me make a thread of basic advice that applies to most workers in the USA

Jorts the cat is an account ostensibly by a lovable internet office cat, but run by a fairly labor movement-savvy worker in that office

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Starbucks Unionization efforts continue unabated across the nation. This time with two stores in my neck of the woods. OP,KS & KC,MO

.@SBWorkersUnited announces they're filing for union elections at 15 more Starbucks stores, bringing the total to 54 stores in 19 states. Absolute wildfire of organizing. Defcon 1 in Seattle.
    Dave there is a labor reporter for the HuffPost. Which, I see what you did there, irony.

And now Starbucks is firing workers involved in unionization efforts because of course it is. The company probably expects it has enough money to outlast any legal challenges to the obvious retaliation.

• Options
    Every major labor organization in the country is paying very close attention to Starbucks right now. Speaking personally, I'm going to make it my mission to start getting my morning coffee at union shops here in town when ever and where ever possible.

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Starbucks Unionization efforts continue unabated across the nation. This time with two stores in my neck of the woods. OP,KS & KC,MO

.@SBWorkersUnited announces they're filing for union elections at 15 more Starbucks stores, bringing the total to 54 stores in 19 states. Absolute wildfire of organizing. Defcon 1 in Seattle.
    Dave there is a labor reporter for the HuffPost. Which, I see what you did there, irony.

And now Starbucks is firing workers involved in unionization efforts because of course it is. The company probably expects it has enough money to outlast any legal challenges to the obvious retaliation.

Also Maya, are those firings happening at mostly, "At-Will" ,versus "Right to Work States"?

Because I have gut Hunch, Starbucks are getting their jollies on crushing Union attempts at "At-Will"states mostly.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »
    Mayabird wrote: »

Also Maya, are those firings happening at mostly, "At-Will" ,versus "Right to Work States"?

Because I have gut Hunch, Starbucks are getting their jollies on crushing Union attempts at "At-Will"states mostly.

Illegal retaliation is a federal matter

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    WaPo’s Nathan Grayson

NEW: blackbird, the 300-person studio behind homeworld and hardspace: shipbreaker, is switching to a 4-day workweek after a lengthy trial. 100% of employees —many on a team perilously late in development—said they wanted to make it permanent. my report:

https://t.co/fCUA3SoLAG

Four day week! Four day week! [congratulatory chanting sounds]

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    That's the direction I hoped the work week would trend, instead of from 9-5 with 1 hour paid lunch to 8-5 with 30 minutes unpaid lunch and a side-eye every time you ask to use the bathroom.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I did 4 10s for awhile and it was amazing.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

This is 4 8s.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »

This is 4 8s.

Man, that's the dream. I do 4x10's and it's definitely better than 5x8's, but those two extra hours take a toll.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    Tell me about it, I've been working 6 10's since the end of August with no end in sight.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    BigJoeM wrote: »
    Tell me about it, I've been working 6 10's since the end of August with no end in sight.

That's fucking brutal. I did 6 8-10s for years and it was a goddamn slog.

One day a week is enough to partially recover or do chores (but not both) and it's just a treadmill.

Fucking sucks, I'm sorry BigJoe.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    4 10s just flattens me. I have 6 hours per day of work in me at most.

I did 4 8s for a few years at an old job (taking a 20% pay cut for the privilege), and it wasn't amazing so much as, "Yes, this is just about tolerable."

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    4 10s just flattens me. I have 6 hours per day of work in me at most.

I did 4 8s for a few years at an old job (taking a 20% pay cut for the privilege), and it wasn't amazing so much as, "Yes, this is just about tolerable."

One of the huge benefits of nursing is shifts and FTE are completely negotiable. Some work eights or tens or twelves in basically whatever FTE you want.

The best schedule I every had was one 24 hour in house call and then a day off then a sixteen then four days off.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I used to do 8 13s then 6 off. That was pretty good. 14 12s then 7 off was rough, but the pay was amazing

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    I still remember complaining about my job having too much empty time.

Now, on the factory floor, the schedule js set for 95% up time.

That is too much! I've gone too far in the opposite direction!

Buy they (will eventually, after a few years) pay so much more than everywhere else.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I currently do a 5-8 work from home, and it's about perfect for me. I can do 8 hours of work if it's less demanding, 6 hours of work plus a couple hours of being vaguely available for tasks if the 6 is spent doing serious coding or data analysis.

The wfh part is nice because I don’t feel pressured to pretend I'm actually functional after spending most of the day squinting at numbers and formulas.

I tried 4-10 for a while and didn't care for it, though to be fair I was also commuting 3 hours each way at the time, so maybe not a great comparison. 😕

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    My buddy is a team leader for a programming group for some kind of logistics software. I have no real idea what he does, but one of his team members started working (or at least submitting his assigned work) at 07am after accessing the data starting around 11pm.

According to my friend this guy has been like four times as productive now that he gets to just work 11pm-7am from home and not go to the office.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    People are most productive at different times of the day, everyone's body is different. I'm probably at my best between 12-6, but fuck if I can find any job with those hours. I work 7-3 and I'm basically worthless for the 1st few hours, and I have about 2 hours of downtime at the end of the day with practically nothing to do... oh well such is life in a capitalist hellhole.

StarZapper on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I would run 4-10s but I have kid care to deal with. I probably could, but I refuse to work past 4-5 because that gets into family time and I'm done cutting into that.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I would run 4-10s but I have kid care to deal with. I probably could, but I refuse to work past 4-5 because that gets into family time and I'm done cutting into that.

I just start work early >.> Log in at 6, log out at 4:30.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Yeah I’m hunting for a job shortly, and WFH will be a key part of that

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I just start work early >.> Log in at 6, log out at 4:30.

Gotta get the kid out the door for the bus, though. And I don't WFH, I travel, so I'm pretty firm with my clients about when I'm donezo.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    When I did 4 10s I was a game tester, so while it's still very much a skilled job, it's a lot easier to do for long stretches than a lot of other jobs when you're not being forced into constant overtime. Was a huge boost for letting me learn new skills or be a real human.

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    StarZapper wrote: »
    People are most productive at different times of the day, everyone's body is different. I'm probably at my best between 12-6, but fuck if I can find any job with those hours. I work 7-3 and I'm basically worthless for the 1st few hours, and I have about 2 hours of downtime at the end of the day with practically nothing to do... oh well such is life in a capitalist hellhole.

Yeah, I hear that. I'm at my mental best in the evenings/night but I've only had a non-retail job with those hours once.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Most of the people I meet who are really happy with 4 10s have jobs where they can just spend like 45 minutes at a time fucking around on their computer. Office jobs, man.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    I prefer the four long shifts too. Back when I worked at the metalworking shop my shift was 6PM-7AM, 4 nights a week. Overtime pay and yet three days off was awesome, even though I didn't have time to do much other than work and sleep on my 4 workdays.

Overnight shift wasn't awesome though, I don't wanna do that shit again.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    My buddy is a team leader for a programming group for some kind of logistics software. I have no real idea what he does, but one of his team members started working (or at least submitting his assigned work) at 07am after accessing the data starting around 11pm.

According to my friend this guy has been like four times as productive now that he gets to just work 11pm-7am from home and not go to the office.

Is it possible that this is some time zone thing, and this guy is working remotely from Hawaii or something?

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Most of the people I meet who are really happy with 4 10s have jobs where they can just spend like 45 minutes at a time fucking around on their computer. Office jobs, man.

I have a bunch of driving between each client so there's time to decompress after each one. It makes a difference.

• Options

Sitting in front of a computer for 10 hours is still exhausting.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options

Yup. 10 hours at my job = I will be physically broken by the end of day 4. Probably day 3 now that I'm no longer in my 20s, to be honest. There's no way for me to decompress and rest or otherwise fuck off and have a fun little distraction to allow me some recharge time when I'm on the clock.

Note: I used to work 6 days a week for 10+ hours per day before the pandemic. I was reaching the point where it was going to kill me, and it did in fact indirectly kill a few of my coworkers over the years. We need to find a way to reduce the amount of hours people work every week without reducing attendant pay, because we should not be spending our one and only lives toiling on behalf of people who who exploit us viciously to make a profit for themselves.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Sitting in front of a computer for 10 hours is still exhausting.

Last I remember reading the research desk jobs actually see a drop-off in productivity sooner then manual labour.

Which is part of the problem with less days/longer hours. There's a real drop-off in productivity as you work longer hours.

The other problem is, you know, children and the raising there of.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Saw a report on the news about “how to use the Great Resignation to your advantage in your job” and, you know, it’s a small thing, but it was kind of nice to hear the news media have the back of the worker for once, instead of laying down implicit blame on them for the “worker shortage”

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The sad part is that even with the Great Resignation and people getting new jobs that pay more wages are still not keeping up with inflation. We think we're getting more but it's one step forward two steps back.