As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

House/Homeowner Thread: This is no longer a quick or little project

That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guyRegistered User regular
Once again I welcome you to the house/homeowner thread. Bitch about how much that thing is going to cost or how long it's taking that other thing to get fixed. Crumbling walls? Cracked Foundation? Leaking pipes? Look no further for dubious advice.

Home Hunting Resources
zillow.com
trulia.com
realtor.com
www.redfin.com

Credit Resources
creditkarma.com
annualcreditreport.com
mint.com

Mortgage resources
mortgagecalculator.org
www.bankrate.com/calculators/mortgages/mortgage-calculator.aspx

That_Guy on

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    If you are in the USA. Several states offer programs for no money down mortgages or to pay the downpayment and/or closing costs of an FHA mortgage.

FHA stands for federal housing authority, and it is the program with which most mortgages originate because you only need 3.5% down.

zepherin on
  • StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    zepherin wrote: »
    If you are in the USA. Several states offer programs for no money down mortgages or to pay the downpayment and/or closing costs of an FHA mortgage.

FHA stands for federal housing authority, and it is the program with which most mortgages originate because you only need 3.5% down.

That's a bit misleading, because you can get conventional mortgages with only 3.5% down too. The main difference is FHA lenders will accept much lower credit scores, and many housing organizations have down payment assistance available specifically for FHA/USDA loans, so functionally it can be even less than that.

StarZapper on
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    StarZapper wrote: »

That's a bit misleading, because you can get conventional mortgages with only 3.5% down too. The main difference is FHA lenders will accept much lower credit scores, and many housing organizations have down payment assistance available specifically for FHA/USDA loans, so functionally it can be even less than that.

Beyond that, it's best to avoid an FHA loan unless it is the only option left. They charge exorbitantly more in origination fees that get tacked on to your balance, and a monthly MIP (which is similar to conventional loan's PMI, but 2-3x more expensive for no reason) that cannot be dropped even if you hit 80LTV. The only way to drop the MIP payment is to refinance.

True. For an FHA loan you can get a mortgage in the 620+ credit range.

Whereas conventional mortgages for 3.5 down (or 0 down) have credit requirements in the 750 and higher range, and the level of scrutiny is much higher.

For most lower income home buyers the best bet is FHA with a state program to pay your downpayment.

Maryland has a program if you make under (60k I think or 120k as a couple) they loan you 3 percent or 5k that gets forgiven if you pay your mortgage on time for 5 years.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    If you don't mind living a ways outside of major cities you can do what I did and get a 0 down USDA loan.

The real problem with FHA / USDA is getting sellers to accept the offer, as they'll usually prefer a conventional loan or cash over it everytime even with a higher bid.

edited February 2022
    The real problem with FHA / USDA is getting sellers to accept the offer, as they'll usually prefer a conventional loan or cash over it everytime even with a higher bid.
    It depends on the area. Most often if there aren’t immediately multiple offers and there is one strong offer

If there are multiple offers chances are always going to be slim and the cash buyer has a huge advantage over contingency contracts (usually contingent on their house selling) or any mortgage.

But FHAs are still a large part of the house buying pie. So people are accepting them. But conventional is always going to be big. Banks make so much money with mortgages that they give them out to anyone who meets the credit income and debt to income requirements.

Screen-Shot-2021-04-26-at-14.39.32.png?w=1400&ssl=1

zepherin on
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    My wife said she'd buy me a table saw, coming out of Christmas and Birthday for me. I found a nice Dewalt 10" on sale but commenters said, "the industry is moving to 8 1/4" " and now she doesn't want to buy the 10" saw. I'm very confused what to tell her as to what else to look for/at.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    My wife said she'd buy me a table saw, coming out of Christmas and Birthday for me. I found a nice Dewalt 10" on sale but commenters said, "the industry is moving to 8 1/4" " and now she doesn't want to buy the 10" saw. I'm very confused what to tell her as to what else to look for/at.

10" blades are always going to be available, there are too many units out there. I'm confused.

Also Dewalt is pretty much your only choice on the lower end.

If you're going to spend big money get a sawstop.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

Even if "the industry" decides to prefer 8 1/4", there are an awful lot of 10" saws out there. Blades aren't going anywhere soon. And it's not like you go through a ton of blades on a table saw anyway.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    A bigger blade lets you cut thicker things... 8 1/4 isn't much better than a circular saw so that seems odd to me. If you want an alternative to a Dewalt that is less than a Sawstop, I have a Bosch 4100 that I like, although I don't know if the newer models are equivalent in terms of the extensions and digital gauge and so on. Either way I'd recommend a narrow kerf rip blade, but be sure it makes a wider kerf that your riving knife.

Edit to add: brief google makes it look like 8 1/4 is a thing because of cordless table saws. Likewise they have fairly small miter saws for cordless use but for plug in I like my 12"

Gilgaron on
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Yeah I guarantee this push for 8.25" table saws is just for portable jobsite saws. Woodworkers are always going to keep using 10".

It makes sense though, if you're DeWalt. 80-90% of your table saw customers are probably contractors who only use it for ripping sheets of plywood/OSB, and you don't really need a 10" for that.

Simpsonia on
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Steel roof starts going on Monday, a month ahead of schedule - a month ahead, not 6 months behind - how utterly bizarre.

Ok, so I'm not completely insane. I'm looking for a plug-in unit either way. Bosch or Skilsaw were my other candidate brands; just managed to see a Dewalt deal pop up on Slickdeals yesterday.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Ok, so I'm not completely insane. I'm looking for a plug-in unit either way. Bosch or Skilsaw were my other candidate brands; just managed to see a Dewalt deal pop up on Slickdeals yesterday.

Just to echo everyone else, ten inch blades aren't going anywhere.

And just to defend the honor of DeWalt, the jobsite model can do a lot more than just ripping plywood. The miter gauge in particular is surprisingly accurate.

I am buying a Sawstop Jobsite model in the next month or so because I can't justify the pricing difference between that and the contractor model in terms of features. Also I don't have enough skill to get enough out of the cabinet model.

A Sawstop Jobsite with after market sled / miter gauge is about as much as a sweet spot as I can figure.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Actual real question for the thread. My kid snapped our toilet paper holder off the wall. I got a replacement, but I need to get this thing out of the wall first.

It doesn't seem to spin or turn.

orhnjk2clg8x.jpg

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    May also be a small screw on the bottom that is tightened to the plate that's attached to the wall.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    One of the above, or the previous owner decided to liquid nails that bad boy to the wall.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
    Nosf wrote: »
    Steel roof starts going on Monday, a month ahead of schedule - a month ahead, not 6 months behind - how utterly bizarre.
    I would have preferred a steel roof. I got a 50 year shingle roof. But steel roofs are awesome.

Stupid HOA

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    One of the above, or the previous owner decided to liquid nails that bad boy to the wall.

When in doubt, expect the previous owner did something stupid.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

This is an excellent thread title at some point

96058.png?1619393207

Speaking of this. Who tf puts baseboard in BEFORE the flooring? Or more to the point, I see how cheap the old owner was. Rather than replacing the baseboard when putting in this horrid linoleum, they told the flooring guy to just run up to the existing and add quarter round.

FML

Whoa, quarter round huh? Luxury housing over here.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    now, I'm no plumber, but I think I found the source of the leak...
    d6t6wktaadk0.jpg

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    Spray a little flex seal on it. It'll be fine.

Just throw some duct tape around it, I've seen worse.

Ignore those guys. This is your chance to learn how to use Pex/Sharkbite.

The others are trying to keep you from learning something new!

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Any interior paint recommendations? Got 3 bedrooms to paint. Need something that will stand up to kids and is washable / scrubbable.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Any interior paint recommendations? Got 3 bedrooms to paint. Need something that will stand up to kids and is washable / scrubbable.

https://youtu.be/S4RPaoU47jo

When we did our house we went with that valspar signature and I was pretty happy with it, except the off-white we got either we or they didn't mix properly I don't think, it was just too thin and needed like three coats. But the two colors we did went on really nice.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    Professionally and personally I use sherwin Williams. Professionally I use their zero VOC paint. I think it’s promar, because it cuts down on the smell. Personally I use super paint for white and emerald for color.

Real pro tip
    If your company has a sherwin Williams account or you have a friend who is a contractor who has a sherwin Williams account you can use your credit card to purchase it but use their discount. They just have to be there or call it in. You can get a 30-40 percent discount depending on how much paint they buy.

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    If you go the Sherwin Williams route, be conservative in how much paint you buy. We way over purchased because we were assuming we'd need two coats everywhere, but it covers really well so several rooms only needed one.

I ended up having to get more when I did our downstairs. I found that the lighter the color, the more coats you need. But that might be partly because of the plaster walls too, I have no idea what I'm doing.

I ended up having to get more when I did our downstairs. I found that the lighter the color, the more coats you need. But that might be partly because of the plaster walls too, I have no idea what I'm doing.
    Plaster is my nemesis. I have had robust discussions with folks who live elsewhere about it. But I greatly dislike it. Drywall is great. Drywall life.

Plaster is pretty nice in the summer since it keeps cooler, but yeah, it's a pain in the ass to work with.

• SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    I painted 2 rooms in our house after getting our flooring installed and I figured out the trick to doing it right, which is to prime the walls first.

It doesn't matter if the paint is supposed to have primer in it, primer is $20 a gallon and it goes on easy. Unless you are painting a room white, the primer is white so it's very easy to see missed spots even with lighter colors. Instead of needing 2 gallons of paint per room it took me to 1 gallon primer + 1 gallon paint for rooms about ~120 sq. ft. with 8 ft. ceilings. Another plus side is the primer doesn't stink and dries much quicker than paint, meaning the time between priming and painting is very short, so it saves time as well.

In short, just use primer. You won't regret it.

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    That's another thing I need to find is some good stain blocking primer.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    We used kilz for most of the rooms in our house to cover the old stains and get rid of the smoke smell.

• SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Yeah, I used Kilz as well. I bought 5 gallons, which was a drastic oversupply for the amount of wall I needed to paint. It was very easy to apply and stark white. Made finding missed spots much easier with the colors I painted on the walls. I highly recommend it.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Anyone have experience with drywall texture? My house has orange peel everywhere, so it looks like crap any time you need to gap fill. Should I invest in a sprayer, or are the aerosol products pretty good?

This discussion has been closed.