As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] Thread: Denver Gets That Tall Pocket Passer They've Been Missing

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I know some Lions fans that are legit celebrating like the Lions won the super bowl. Good for them.

• quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    I know some Lions fans that are legit celebrating like the Lions won the super bowl. Good for them.

In all honesty, it’s kind of sad to be openly cheering this. It’s one thing to use it as rooting motivation when you otherwise have no interest in the outcome, but it shouldn’t be a cathartic moment. It should incredibly frustrate you knowing that the team clearly had the talent to do something but always found ways to accomplish nothing.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I think it’s healthy to recognize that you’re cheering for human beings as much as for teams and to celebrate the success of individuals whom you admired and rooted for for years, even if they weren’t wearing your colors when they succeeded.

admanb wrote: »
    I think it’s healthy to recognize that you’re cheering for human beings as much as for teams and to celebrate the success of individuals whom you admired and rooted for for years, even if they weren’t wearing your colors when they succeeded.

Yes, I agree, be happy for the person and realize they are a human.

But they are selling “Detroit Rams” stuff because of this, which is just weird and dumb and sad.

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »

In all honesty, it’s kind of sad to be openly cheering this. It’s one thing to use it as rooting motivation when you otherwise have no interest in the outcome, but it shouldn’t be a cathartic moment. It should incredibly frustrate you knowing that the team clearly had the talent to do something but always found ways to accomplish nothing.

I’m sure it’s very frustrating. Lions fans don’t need to be reminded of that. There’s nothing wrong or sad to be cheering for the people and not the uniforms.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Stafford is a good dude who gave his all to some garbage Lions teams, the down and out city of Detroit, and their loyal fans while putting up HOF numbers and being ignored (at best) or denigrated (at worst) by the media and rest of the NFL fanbase while doing so. Seeing him win and be one of the biggest reasons why they did have success was cathartic as hell and I'm happy for him and the decade plus I spent watching him on the Lions.

Fuck the Stafford haters forever. I told y'all

ObiFett on
    I cheered for Von Miller. Because at the rate they are going, the Broncos are going to be the next Lions.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Why? They either end up with Rodgers or Brady, anyway.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Stafford is a good quarterback but considering his numbers against teams with actual winning records I think we can pump the brakes on the HOF numbers thing.

The guy is a bonafide NFL starter which is a distinction that automatically puts you in the top 20 NFL quarterbacks - but he was replacing a guy who straight up doesn't belong in the league and came into a situation where he had a very well constructed offense, a great coach who had already taken Jared Goff to the Super Bowl.

Plus the team did a good job of going for a win now approach by bringing in Miller and Beckham and they drew an opponent whose weaknesses lined up very well with their strengths.

I think this game is a blowout if Beckham doesnt get hurt and between him and Kupp they probably score at least two more touchdowns

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    edited February 2022
    RedTide wrote: »
    Stafford is a good quarterback but considering his numbers against teams with actual winning records I think we can pump the brakes on the HOF numbers thing.

Miss me with this shit.

Numbers against teams with winning records?! You mean wins in a game that has 22+ players on both sides? He can't play defense or run the ball. His numbers, his contribution to those games were often the only thing that made his team even have a chance.

He had all 11 of the Rams touchdowns these playoffs. He led two 4th quarter game winning drives, one in the NFCC and the other in the SB.

For years everyone was like, stat padford can't win, completely ignoring that it's a team game. Then when he does win and is a HUGE reason for it, y'all still find some way to not give him the credit he deserves.

He has HOF numbers. Period. And he's gonna keep surpassing other HOFers in those numbers as he keeps playing.

If Eli is in the HOF, Stafford is a lock for it

ObiFett on
    ObiFett wrote: »

Miss me with this shit.

Numbers against teams with winning records?! You mean wins in a game that has 22+ players on both sides? He can't play defense or run the ball. His numbers, his contribution to those games were often the only thing that made his team even have a chance.

He had all 11 of the Rams touchdowns these playoffs. He led two 4th quarter game winning drives, one in the NFCC and the other in the SB.

For years everyone was like, stat padford can't win, completely ignoring that it's a team game. Then when he does win and is a HUGE reason for it, y'all still find some way to not give him the credit he deserves.

He has HOF numbers. Period. And he's gonna keep surpassing other HOFers in those numbers as he keeps playing.

Counterpoint.

Eli made Tom Brady lose twice in the post season. Stafford only made him lose once.

• marajimaraji Registered User regular

Miss me with this shit.

I think the question wasn’t stat padding, it was that he tended to fail against good defenses. He was a good quarterback in Detroit overall, but tended to make mistakes early and then have a good showing in the 4th quarter. His heroics were enough to sometimes prevail again bad or mediocre defenses, and almost come back against decent opposition.

You saw this yesterday too. I’m happy for him, as he is better than the sports turds say, but HoF? I get that Eli is there (and I don’t really think he would be if it wasn’t for who his SB opponent was), but he’s not really a comp for Stafford.

Miss me with this shit.

Counterpoint.

Eli made Tom Brady lose twice in the post season. Stafford only made him lose once.

Counter-counter point. Stafford made Brady retire.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    For now.

The big noisemakers are xomplaining that the halftime show was 'sexual anarchy'. Which means that, somehow, the NFL is all woke now. We did it!

• marajimaraji Registered User regular
    For now.

The big noisemakers are xomplaining that the halftime show was 'sexual anarchy'. Which means that, somehow, the NFL is all woke now. We did it!

What does that even mean?

• McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    maraji wrote: »
    For now.

It featured black people

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
    edited February 2022
    For now.

It's when you come at the king and miss.
    Ba Dum Tish

My guess is that they don't want to complain about all that urban music. So it will probably mean that Mary J Blige was a woman and Eminem took a knee.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    For now.

It's when you come at the king and miss.
    Ba Dum Tish

My guess is that they don't want to complain about all that urban music. So it will probably mean that Mary J Blige was a woman and Eminem took a knee.

Also someone said a bad thing about the police

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    McRhyno wrote: »
    For now.

It featured black people

Also, the younger leaders of the conservative movement are prudish weirdos. From what I can tell the "sexual anarchy" comment first came from Charlie Kirk of Talking Point USA. But I don't know as much about him as I do Ben Shapiro, a person that has made a living from being absolutely terrified of all sexuality.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist

Miss me with this shit.

Counterpoint.

Counter-counter point. Stafford made Brady retire.

v6kuz7bysxal.jpeg

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Charlie Kirk probably scheduled that sexual anarchy tweet at like 8 in the morning. He was going to say that shit regardless of what happened during the show.

This is the same dude that put on a diaper and crawled around a college campus thinking he was making a profound point.

He's fucking goofy as hell.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    Charlie Kirk probably scheduled that sexual anarchy tweet at like 8 in the morning. He was going to say that shit regardless of what happened during the show.

This is the same dude that put on a diaper and crawled around a college campus thinking he was making a profound point.

You need to update your av to cyber Andy flying around in a pool float

edited February 2022
    Welp
    Free-agent NFL running back Adrian Peterson arrested at LAX after an apparent domestic violence incident with his wife, authorities say. https://t.co/MqyVY6ktm3

wish he'd just go away. Hopefully now he'll have to

Tox on
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Welp
    Free-agent NFL running back Adrian Peterson arrested at LAX after an apparent domestic violence incident with his wife, authorities say. https://t.co/MqyVY6ktm3

wish he'd just go away. Hopefully now he'll have to

Repeat domestic abuser who showed no remorse and acknowledged he would continue to domestically abuse, arrested for domestic abuse?

Shocked!

And yeah, his ability to produce on-field has probably deteriorated to the point teams aren't going to weigh up the pros and cons anymore.

He and Shapiro have spent their adult lives warning that Hollywood and academia are leading the world's youth to a hyper-promiscuous apocalypse. Meanwhile, in reality, teen pregnancy has trended downward for decades and all available information strongly suggests millennials and gen z to be less sexually active than the generations before them.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    Butters wrote: »

He and Shapiro have spent their adult lives warning that Hollywood and academia are leading the world's youth to a hyper-promiscuous apocalypse. Meanwhile, in reality, teen pregnancy has trended downward for decades and all available information strongly suggests millennials and gen z to be less sexually active than the generations before them.

That doesn't count people who don't keep their hands above the blanket at night, though. Uncounted hordes of sluts

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

That doesn't count people who don't keep their hands above the blanket at night, though. Uncounted hordes of sluts

Don't forget the salacious temptations of ice fishing.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Auralynx wrote: »

Don't forget the salacious temptations of ice fishing.

You know what they say.

Phase 1: ice fishing
    Phase 2: ice fishing shanties
    Phase 3: ?
    Phase 4: prostitution!

LostNinja on
    Where did the underwear go

My two favorite @NFL_memes posts in the last 24 hours:

FLkxCkVXoAs1osJ?format=jpg&name=large

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    You know, until I got to the Tomlin one I was not sold on those.

That one, however, is great.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Job Urrow deserves better. Stafford gets to drive an all star team in his home stadium and still needs a holding call to extend his chances, meanwhile Joe is refusing medical help and healing his knee with good vibes. I hope that kid gets an offensive line, he's going to be amazing.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Job Urrow deserves better. Stafford gets to drive an all star team in his home stadium and still needs a holding call to extend his chances, meanwhile Joe is refusing medical help and healing his knee with good vibes. I hope that kid gets an offensive line, he's going to be amazing.

Yeah, if the Bengals don't spend at least two draft picks in the first three rounds, or trading to get at least two veteran talents, then I have no problem with Burrow "OBJ-ing" out of there.

Rather that, than see Burrow "Lucked" out of the league in a couple years because the injuries have mounted up.

edited February 2022
    Burrow would need to “Luck” out and even that’s a stretch given he’s southern Ohio’s own

Burrow-mania is probably stronger than Lebron-mania was in Cleveland

Captain Inertia on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The problem with Stafford's Hall of Fame case is that at no point was he a top 5 QB in the league and it's hard to see him being one in the future with the current generation of QBs still active. Maybe you say QB play is so good now that doesn't matter, but it does strike me as a problem.

Of course I'm someone who semi-seriously thinks Chris Osgood should be in the hockey hall, so what do I know.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    whatever put him in the hall of fame because he spent as long as he did in detroit without going insane.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    tbh if there was a new league rule that anyone who serves 10 years on the Lions gets a ring and automatic entry into the Hall of Fame I'd probably be like "....ok, that's fair"

The problem with Stafford's Hall of Fame case is that at no point was he a top 5 QB in the league and it's hard to see him being one in the future with the current generation of QBs still active. Maybe you say QB play is so good now that doesn't matter, but it does strike me as a problem.

Of course I'm someone who semi-seriously thinks Chris Osgood should be in the hockey hall, so what do I know.

I mean, 2011-2013 he clearly was top 5 and even without that, its not really a knock to not be top 5 when every year he was QB, at least 4 of the 5 best QBs were all time great, no brainer obvious hall of famers. He's clearly not in the Brady/Manning/Brees/Rodgers class, but he is almost certainly in the class right below.

• tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »

I mean, 2011-2013 he clearly was top 5 and even without that, its not really a knock to not be top 5 when every year he was QB, at least 4 of the 5 best QBs were all time great, no brainer obvious hall of famers. He's clearly not in the Brady/Manning/Brees/Rodgers class, but he is almost certainly in the class right below.

Exactly, Stafford is the Hall of Very Good.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png