As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Castlevania & Bloodstained] sitting in a tree, S-L-A-Y-I-N-G

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    that castlevania show was actually really good in a lot of ways. and i totally wish there were a game where i could just be sypha and fly around just throwing spells out without any fucking limits on anything like she does

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I'd honestly say it was good in most ways. On top of doing a properly fantastic job of paying respect to the source material while at the same time kicking a huge pile of sand in the face of history of the Catholic Church (yeah, the Catholic Church didn't actually fight vampires and shit, but it totally was a monstrous piece of shit where individual "holy men" abused their power to rape and murder to their heart's content over the centuries), the action scenes are awesome and the music is fantastic. The series honestly wanted to try and figure out how to make a DnD character that would play reasonably close to Belmont. Because yeah, on the surface, how interesting could a dude with a holy whip be? Oh, it turns out pretty fantastically interesting and dynamic. Alucard is whipping around with bat-magic and magical items, Sypha is tearing things up like a thinking natural disaster, and here's Belmonte. With a whip. And it still looks great.

I mean, my big gripe about the series? My one big one? The reanimated corpse of the priest being used to turn the river into holy water. Because the priest had no holy backing and thus couldn't have blessed anything; that's just standard rules for when somebody violates their pact with their god or gods. And his reanimated corpse definitely couldn't do it because it wouldn't even have a soul or will, so it's at least two major rules broken to make that work.

And as bombastic as the ending got, I still loved it. Easily one of the best series that Netflix has put out.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Aside from the final fight with death, I loved it

How long was the whip by the end of that fight? A few hundred feet at least I bet

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    That’s the Belmont Clan’s power. They can’t count, and they won’t Count.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Aside from the final fight with death, I loved it

How long was the whip by the end of that fight? A few hundred feet at least I bet

It's not the size, it's how you use it.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I felt like the show started spinning its wheels after Season 2, but the Isaac and Hector subplots held it together.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Normally I'm not one for shows paced as slowly as the Castlevania show is sometimes, but every scene in which two characters basically sit down and bounce ideology off each other is so terrifyingly empathetic and lovingly produced in a way that lesser shows would have two static heads with flapping mouths
    I can't bring myself to dislike any of it because the character writing is so damn good

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Playing the Castlevania Advance collection on Switch. Just finished Circle of the Moon. Was getting repeatedly murdered by Drac's final form, so I went to look up strategies online. "Just use Thunderbird summon." The fuck is a summon? "You have to go back to an out-of-the-way boss room, find the hidden enemy that is now in that room, and kill it dozens of times for a drop"

Cool cool

After finishing up with that, I've started on Harmony of Dissonance. It's interesting to me that these two games are only about a year apart. Also that HoD, which seems much closer to Symphony of the Night graphically and in gameplay feel, was released further apart from SotN.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Playing the Castlevania Advance collection on Switch. Just finished Circle of the Moon. Was getting repeatedly murdered by Drac's final form, so I went to look up strategies online. "Just use Thunderbird summon." The fuck is a summon? "You have to go back to an out-of-the-way boss room, find the hidden enemy that is now in that room, and kill it dozens of times for a drop"

Cool cool

After finishing up with that, I've started on Harmony of Dissonance. It's interesting to me that these two games are only about a year apart. Also that HoD, which seems much closer to Symphony of the Night graphically and in gameplay feel, was released further apart from SotN.

Circle was a day one release when the Gameboy Advance launched. The devs must not have yet known all the tricks for new hardware.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    There's also CotM not being directed by Iga. It was a different team taking a different approach. Then Iga was told to rush something out the door so they just parroted SotN while refining CotM's card system. In Aria I guess Iga and team caught enough of a breath to start introducing new ideas and refinements.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    There's also CotM not being directed by Iga. It was a different team taking a different approach. Then Iga was told to rush something out the door so they just parroted SotN while refining CotM's card system. In Aria I guess Iga and team caught enough of a breath to start introducing new ideas and refinements.

It was more specifically the Castlevania 64 team, I believe. I wonder which team was behind the cancelled Dreamcast game that just was released online a year or so ago...

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Normally I'm not one for shows paced as slowly as the Castlevania show is sometimes, but every scene in which two characters basically sit down and bounce ideology off each other is so terrifyingly empathetic and lovingly produced in a way that lesser shows would have two static heads with flapping mouths
    I can't bring myself to dislike any of it because the character writing is so damn good

So it's like they made a Star Trek TNG anime?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I know it's not actually Castlevania, but I'm getting strong SOTN vibes from this new Record of Lodoss War game. Anyone in here try it?

• Options
    Dirty wrote: »
    I know it's not actually Castlevania, but I'm getting strong SOTN vibes from this new Record of Lodoss War game. Anyone in here try it?

Yes, I played it through back in December. It is SOTN influenced like wowza. Not nearly as good, but certainly worth a playthrough, especially on Gamepass.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

I loved it! Of course, I also loved the anime, so I'm a bit biased. Great Metroidvania title that doesn't overstay it's welcome (ie. it's short).

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

I tried to play it on Game Pass a month ago, but there's an issue in that version where it runs at like half the proper framerate for PC players.

• Options
    The movement of Deedlit is *really* solid, incredibly smooth, which adds a lot to the game's fun. The Ikaruga style element swapping and regen stuff also felt way more fresh than something like RotN, and I also liked some of the odder enemy behavior like centipedes, flowers and shades. Unfortunately the game is a bit low on movement upgrades and backtracking for a metroidvania, and most bosses seem to be cheesable enough with the element system that you don't have to learn all their patterns. I would like to see this studio given some more time and budget to make a more expansive, refined and a bit less repetitive game, because the have the basics down very well and could probably produce something more innovative than Iga has of late.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Nice. I downloaded it from Game Pass. Hopefully the story won't be complete nonsense since I've never looked at anything from this series before.

• Options
    Nice. I downloaded it from Game Pass. Hopefully the story won't be complete nonsense since I've never looked at anything from this series before.

You don’t need to know anything about the story to follow along with the game. It’s a fairly self-contained story that would work without the original IP.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    damn that game looks spectacular. kind of a cross between dragons crown and sotn. it probably means its too hard for me since i suck at these games but maybe ill give it a try sometime. god i cant wait until im not a student anymore.

• Options
    I just hope they patch the PC version. Or I could just buy the Steam version, which apparently doesn't have the same issue as the Game Pass for PC version.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    I dunno if anyone's been in the Steam thread lately, we've been talking about Vampire Survivors which is basically an auto-clicker /rogue-lite in early access that uses assets that resemble Castlevania's style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trc7iuyydmo

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

Metroidvanias are Ladybug's thing, they also did a great Touhou spinoff and a cute SMT one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUAlIyyJjr8

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I loved Deedlit until I didn't

I can't remember which dragon it was (maybe the third or fourth one), but I just couldn't beat it. I lost that fight so many times I grew to hate the game a bit. Maybe I'll go back to it in a few months.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

It was more specifically the Castlevania 64 team, I believe. I wonder which team was behind the cancelled Dreamcast game that just was released online a year or so ago...

Oh yeah, I really gotta look up videos of that sometime. I'm curious about that Dreamcast game (forgot it leaked)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I saw @MNC Dover on my Steam friends list the other day playing Vampire Survivors. I got curious as to what it was and pulled up the store page for it. The game is only $2.99 and it's got extremely good dollars to fun value. You can lose a lot of time to walking around mindlessly throwing axes and books and holy water at hordes of bats and zombies and things.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I saw MNC Dover on my Steam friends list the other day playing Vampire Survivors. I got curious as to what it was and pulled up the store page for it. The game is only $2.99 and it's got extremely good dollars to fun value. You can lose a lot of time to walking around mindlessly throwing axes and books and holy water at hordes of bats and zombies and things.

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/243498/vampire-survivors-its-basically-an-endless-stream-of-dopamine-for-only-3

He made a thread!

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Oh yeah, I really gotta look up videos of that sometime. I'm curious about that Dreamcast game (forgot it leaked)

https://youtu.be/wrmjHEdaHiA
    Here is a silly guy playing it. If you'd rather no commentary, videos of that exist as well.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »

1. I just saw the trailer for this game called Infernax and (as a Destructoid article I read also mentioned) this game looks inspired partially by Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, which is interesting!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RDRJG79e5w

A few months ago I posted the above trailer for this game that looks inspired by Simon's Quest. It's supposed to be out today (they're having some issues with making it buyable on Steam at the moment), but to my pleasant surprise, it's also on Game Pass! Going to give it a try today, I think.

• Options
    Infernax seems like a lot of fun so far. It definitely feels like they took Simon's Quest as a framework and removed the jank. Enjoyable 8-bit style music. When you first start, you only have one life. If you die, you can choose between a classic restart, which puts you at the last save point and you lose any XP and gold you gained, and a casual restart, which locks you out of future classic restarts but allows you to keep some gold and XP. It also has some built-in cheat codes that I didn't really investigate, but I guess they make things easier as implied.

The game lets you make choices at certain points, but as far as I know I've only taken the good paths.

Fun achievement names for those into heavy metal.

There's a fun optional
    wall meat
    reference in the game.
    jmifojo06rw3.png
    645nyz0wtrwf.png

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Been playing Infernax for the last hour and I'm happy with my purchase. It's hard, but not Ghosts N Goblins hard. The game play is fun, music is good, and the graphics are slick. So far I've found one hilarious Simon's Quest gag that made me literally laugh out loud.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Been playing Infernax for the last hour and I'm happy with my purchase. It's hard, but not Ghosts N Goblins hard. The game play is fun, music is good, and the graphics are slick. So far I've found one hilarious Simon's Quest gag that made me literally laugh out loud.

There's a fun easter egg with the inn:
    Once you unlock the ability to sleep at the inn, do so 5 times in a row. :)

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

There's a fun easter egg with the inn:
    Once you unlock the ability to sleep at the inn, do so 5 times in a row. :)

That was freaking hilarious.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Been doing a replay on bloodstained ritual of the night, it is definitely nice knowing the directions you need to be going so you don't sit there all lost at the weird progression points. Still garbage at the boss fights though. So far I've made it through to interrupting somebody's bath. Might spend some time grinding out the healing shards, they are simply awful at low rate and low grade.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    The difficulty is all over in that game. The first zangetsu fight is hard and then everything is pretty easy until bloodless there if I remember correctly.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    I played bloodstained when it came out. I slammed my head against the samurai/ninja dude and eventually beat him. Then never played it again because I was like "I'm not good enough to beat this and will just get frustrated"

• Options
    I got lucky on my first playthrough and cheesed Zangetsu by having happened to choose the 8-bit shield to spend a token on. Not sure how I got that but if you find it, it can help.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Just finished Infernax. Didn’t get the full good or evil ending. Actually considering going through it again to get both endings, because things change a lot if you commit to a good or bad path.

If you haven’t done so yet…
    enter the Konami code on the intro screen. Because holy shit is it great....
    No really, don't look unless you're not gonna get the game....

Incredible! :D

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Just finished Infernax. Didn’t get the full good or evil ending. Actually considering going through it again to get both endings, because things change a lot if you commit to a good or bad path.

If you haven’t done so yet…
    enter the Konami code on the intro screen. Because holy shit is it great....
    No really, don't look unless you're not gonna get the game....

Incredible! :D

I beat the game yesterday and didn't realize I accidentally stumbled into the Ultimate Good ending. I was just trying to get through all the dungeon/castle areas that I saw, including some bonus areas. Anyway, I actually would like to see the other endings. This is a pretty good game! It's not without its flaws (the fourth castle was a nightmare for me), but it's got more going for it than not.

And I had heard about the spoiler you posted and did it myself after beating the game. Hilarious.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    The Steam page for Infernax gave me some hackish 90s ad-page vibes that kind of made me question the game's devs... I guess that didn't bleed through into the actual game?

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.