As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] Thread: Denver Gets That Tall Pocket Passer They've Been Missing

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    I am already bored to death about hearing HOF and retirement/trade speculation.

We're in Mock Draft Season, now! Get hype!

Two months of "this crop of QB's isn't very strong, position X is much stronger", followed by three QB'S going in the first ten picks.

And the only thing less interesting to me than hearing about someone's fantasy football league, is hearing about mock drafts as if there's any real merit to it.

Don't have a problem with people wanting to see needs filled for their specific team, but I see no value in the glut of lists, especially given one trade can completely upend them.

• pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular

This might be the worst possible scenario for the Bengals. Didn’t quite manage to get the ring, still did well enough to get shackled to another half decade of Taylor.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • marajimaraji Registered User regular
    I feel so bad for Jim Kelly and all the Bills fans that went through it

I’m married to one, and I laughed pretty loudly at those tweets. Then had to lie about why I was laughing because it’s still too raw.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I dont know, he got them to the super bowl, he must be doing something right

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I dont know, he got them to the super bowl, he must be doing something right

Not clutch enough.

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I'll read mock drafts to learn about the people likely to get drafted. I don't really follow college, so I don't know who any of these folks are yet.

The mock draft sites that make a new draft every week of the year are silly though.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    I'll read mock drafts to learn about the people likely to get drafted. I don't really follow college, so I don't know who any of these folks are yet.

The mock draft sites that make a new draft every week of the year are silly though.
    I'll read the mock sites, and they'll all agree on 2 or 3 people that the Broncos should draft because they need help there, and these people are total studs who can make a difference year one.

And then when the Broncos draft, they do something else.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

This might be the worst possible scenario for the Bengals. Didn’t quite manage to get the ring, still did well enough to get shackled to another half decade of Taylor.

Well they had Marvin Lewis for about 412 years as their prior coach

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Short version of draft stuff: two best players are defensive ends. Kayvon Thibodeaux is higher risk/higher reward because he's still a little raw and does take plays off sometimes. Aidan Hutchinson is going to be really good for whoever takes him, but isn't as likely as Thibodeaux to peak out at like, DPOY. Quarterbacks are trash. There are some good offensive linemen, like Evan Neal who might go #1 because Jags want to protect Lawrence better.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    Yeah the top end is a little suspect this year, but it’s also the biggest pool of players ever due to the extra year of college eligibility, so the back end of the draft should be higher quality

It’s a great year to be swimming in mid-round picks

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    I feel so bad for Jim Kelly and all the Bills fans that went through it
    Somewhere in Africa there is a Bills fan gushing about their 4x Super Bowl win streak.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Two months of "this crop of QB's isn't very strong, position X is much stronger", followed by three QB'S going in the first ten picks.

And the only thing less interesting to me than hearing about someone's fantasy football league, is hearing about mock drafts as if there's any real merit to it.

Don't have a problem with people wanting to see needs filled for their specific team, but I see no value in the glut of lists, especially given one trade can completely upend them.

I never cared that much but I gave up on reading mock drafts entirely when Mel Kiper Jr was emphatic that Jimmy Clausen was a first round talent that would succeed in the NFL.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    zepherin wrote: »

I'll read the mock sites, and they'll all agree on 2 or 3 people that the Broncos should draft because they need help there, and these people are total studs who can make a difference year one.

Oh, I don't mind analysis. But I'd much rather "here are the top 5 players at each position, the round they should go in, and in the case of first, approximate position (1st overall, top 5/10, mid, late).

It's the wankery of trying to predict not just where a player should go, but to who, in order. Especially given the capacity for trades.

Ebum mentioned Evan Neal as a Jags draft pick. But how far down can they trade, and still get Neal, with teams having needs (and I'll put a cookie down a QB goes top 5 regardless of the expectation they're trash), and those two defensive ends.

It's not the information I have a problem with, it's the format.

edited February 2022
    The psyops stuff is awful as well, like someone planting the “Justin Fields isn’t committed” shit to Orlovsky last year and him rushing to report it first when it was obvious bullshit planted to lower his value and make him fall

The thing people needed to focus on was how he caused a ton of sacks at OSU, not by freaking out if his first read wasn’t open, but by progressing too much and trying to hit a home run every pass to his 3rd read vs taking a smaller gain or using his 4.3 ability to keep rushers honest

….which is the thing that is killing him in the NFL too

Captain Inertia on
    edited February 2022

Oh, I don't mind analysis. But I'd much rather "here are the top 5 players at each position, the round they should go in, and in the case of first, approximate position (1st overall, top 5/10, mid, late).

It's the wankery of trying to predict not just where a player should go, but to who, in order. Especially given the capacity for trades.

Ebum mentioned Evan Neal as a Jags draft pick. But how far down can they trade, and still get Neal, with teams having needs (and I'll put a cookie down a QB goes top 5 regardless of the expectation they're trash), and those two defensive ends.

It's not the information I have a problem with, it's the format.

Probably third? But that relies on historically stupid franchises doing rational things. Like the Lions taking an elite pass rusher because they don't have any pass rush.

enlightenedbum on
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

I never cared that much but I gave up on reading mock drafts entirely when Mel Kiper Jr was emphatic that Jimmy Clausen was a first round talent that would succeed in the NFL.

Oooooooooh

fuck that dude

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Tox wrote: »

Oooooooooh

fuck that dude

I rarely claim to know better than someone who watches football for a living to make these kinds of judgements. But I can only assume that Kiper wasn't being honest or didn't actually watch much of Clausen in college and as someone who used to identify as a Notre Dame football fan, I knew he was full of shit on that call.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    I am spooked by Josh Allen. Before that I had a pretty good record on projecting college QBs to the pros.

Brady Quinn absolutely wrecked the ND schedule (except for USC) and Clausen did NOT and that scans well with how their NFL careers went.

edited February 2022
    I am spooked by Josh Allen. Before that I had a pretty good record on projecting college QBs to the pros.

Besides Allen, I also whiffed on Josh Rosen, Justin Herbert, and Tua

I will be a smug insufferable asshole during the last 2 years of Trevor Lawrence’s career as a starter tho

Captain Inertia on

Oooooooooh

fuck that dude

I rarely claim to know better than someone who watches football for a living to make these kinds of judgements. But I can only assume that Kiper wasn't being honest or didn't actually watch much of Clausen in college and as someone who used to identify as a Notre Dame football fan, I knew he was full of shit on that call.

The draft experts ESPN relies on are very reliably wrong on QBs

Probably fine everywhere else, but QBs are the thing anyone’s ever really graded on (drafting a bust/passing on a legend)

• mcpmcp Registered User regular

I will be a smug insufferable asshole during the last 2 years of Trevor Lawrence’s career as a starter tho
    Are you a time traveler or was Lawrence bad his last year in college

Are you a time traveler or was Lawrence bad his last year in college

He was never exceptional at anything in college!

He was a great college player, as were 10 other guys who were drafted last year. Nothing about his style or measurements or production stood out from that crowd though, other than all the chuds could rest easy calling him a no brain prospect because everyone else was and there’s no shame in being wrong together.

Trevor Lawrence didn’t flash a single thing this past season that says “he’ll be good in another year with better help” but that’s actually the most expected outcome given the skills he brought from college

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular

I gotta know why he's so bad?

I'm asking because I truly don't know.

Is it a case of good coordinators propping him up this year or something?

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/

Oooooooooh

fuck that dude

The draft experts ESPN relies on are very reliably wrong on QBs

Probably fine everywhere else, but QBs are the thing anyone’s ever really graded on (drafting a bust/passing on a legend)

Kiper's work wife, Tod McShay, ragged him pretty hard and borderline called him compromised by Clausen's agency at the time. It really did feel like someone thought they could juice his draft stock by having Kiper claim there was first round interest in him.

• pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »

I gotta know why he's so bad?

I'm asking because I truly don't know.

Is it a case of good coordinators propping him up this year or something?

With the caveat that I’m probably in the minority and other people likely have a more positive view of him in light of the Bengals’ success this season, I think he’s bad because the Bengals were not good in the areas of the game most directly attributable to him.

Taylor was hired at the height of the league’s run on McVay assistants to be an offensive guru and import that McVay offensive philosophy (outside-zone runs with heavy jet motion to open up the play action and run a ton of deceptive concepts out of similar formations to unsettle a defense). What the Bengals have been under his regime is static and predictable; they run from under center, they pass from the shotgun, and they were one of the worst teams in the NFL at play action despite having some of the best skill players in the league. You can give him some benefit of the doubt--Burrow likes to operate in the spread because he's a timing passer, and it's good when a coach builds a system around the quarterback instead of trying to shoehorn a quarterback into his preferred system.

The problem is, the Bengals' offense was bad when it was the purest expression of Taylor's influence (their opening scripts were bad, they could not run despite their insistence on doing so, they couldn't score in the red zone) and succeeded mostly when the most talented people on the roster were playing jazz (fuck it, Ja'Marr down there somewhere). And although they got to the Super Bowl, it took an inordinate amount of luck. Their division collapsed, they benefitted from a streak of serendipitous moments in the playoffs (drawing the Raiders, the Tannehill meltdown, the Mahomes meltdown), and they were carried by an incredibly well-coached defense (attributable more to Lou Anarumo than to Taylor) and a big-play-reliant offense which is statistically unsustainable over multiple seasons. This is all to say nothing of the consistently bad game management Taylor demonstrated throughout the season, right up until the most important play of the Super Bowl where he decided to hand the ball off to his pass-protecting running back and have him cross Aaron Donald's face.

It's tempting to say that the Bengals will be back in the mix next year because they're so talented, but it's very easy to envision a world where their luck regresses to the mean and they miss the playoffs. I don't think Taylor the worst coach in the league, but I think he's a net negative to his team, which succeeded in spite of him. I think this season was the extreme best-case scenario for a Zac Taylor team, and it still wasn't enough, and the Bengals have now saddled themselves with another four more-typical Taylor years.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular

Considering how long they stuck with Marvin Lewis, I'm surprised he didn't get a "For Life" offer.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    The Bengals will never get a Superbowl win, unless Mike Brown sells them to someome with real, "Fuck you" , money, that's at least somewhat competent.

I bet Asshole Dan Gilbert, wouldn't mind a crack at NFL ownership in Ohio.

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    A photographer fell off the stage at the Rams parade and broke her spine, right in front of Matthew Stafford. Scary stuff, hope she makes a full recovery. Stafford should brush up on emergency procedures, his response to the situation was not ideal.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    A photographer fell off the stage at the Rams parade and broke her spine, right in front of Matthew Stafford. Scary stuff, hope she makes a full recovery. Stafford should brush up on emergency procedures, his response to the situation was not ideal.

I think he probably made the right move as a heavily intoxicated individual. Last thing you want is a drunk dude jostling someone who just broke their spine.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

What he turned away and told someone else to take care of it, come on you can't possibly expect more than the barest of bare mins from someone ever.

Also the photog shattered her spine apparently.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    It is advanced-level drunk knowledge to learn "I should not be allowed to nor attempt to touch anything more complex than a piece of string", and most learn that way later in their drinking career than they ought.

Drunk dude sees accident and immediately gets someone who's not hammered to deal with it? Good for drunk dude.

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular

I think he probably made the right move as a heavily intoxicated individual. Last thing you want is a drunk dude jostling someone who just broke their spine.

I'm not asking him to put her on a stretcher. He said, "oh my god," turned around and walked back to the party. At least his wife had the courtesy to look down.

I'm not asking him to put her on a stretcher. He said, "oh my god," turned around and walked back to the party. At least his wife had the courtesy to look down.

yeah I'm not expecting him to be an emt. But like more than "shit man" and then literally turn away from it like that's pretty awful too.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Stafford and/or the Rams are doing the sane thing and covering her medical bills.

Wasn't she one of their photogs or was that just a random person on stage?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Wasn't she one of their photogs or was that just a random person on stage?

Freelance who works with the NFL and the other leagues.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33313654/los-angeles-rams-matthew-stafford-cover-photographer-hospital-bills-fall-stage
    Kelly Smiley, a photo editor for the NFL, NBA and NHL and a freelance photographer, said Thursday on Twitter that she fractured her spine in the fall, which happened in front of Matthew and Kelly Stafford, after she stepped backward on the stage. In addition, both of her cameras were broken, she tweeted.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I can’t blame Matt for his response. If I’d been hard drinking for hours. I might come to the conclusion that I was not the correct person for this and to find the correct person.

Now if he were PR savvy he would have said “don’t move I’m going to get you some help”

And then grabbed a trainer. And at the hospital visited her and take a selfie with her.

That would have been maximum PR and likely would have paid for itself in endorsements.

edited February 2022
    I can’t blame Matt for his response. If I’d been hard drinking for hours. I might come to the conclusion that I was not the correct person for this and to find the correct person.

Now if he were PR savvy he would have said “don’t move I’m going to get you some help”

And then grabbed a trainer. And at the hospital visited her and take a selfie with her.

That would have been maximum PR and likely would have paid for itself in endorsements.

Right, but with the hard drinking for hours, I'll take "Didn't actively make the situation worse" for $800, Alex.

While I'm not a fan of excess drinking, I'm not going to fault someone for being aware of their inebriation. And it's not like he left her lying alone in the street. There were dozens, if not hundreds of people around.

I dunno, this feels like an expectation of perfection. He's not a hero, he's just a football player. Honestly, I wish more people would realize celebrities aren't, and shouldn't be idolized.

If this was a regular drunk dickhead in the middle of a similar incident, with dozens if not hundreds of people standing around, would people be criticizing them for failing to render aid when they're don't appear to be in a condition to do so safely?

This isn't him being mean, or rude. It's him not doing something that he probably shouldn't have tried to do in the first place.

EDIT- Apparently he's paying for the camera and medical bills. Now, that may be due to the criticism or whatever, but it's not nothing, at least for the woman who got hurt.

MorganV on
    I think that's setting the expectation of someone at rock bar min. Someone took a dangerous fall and his response was to walk away and let his wife do something.

pleasepaypreacher.net