As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Social Media]: Our Blasted Digital Hellscape

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    As per the AP, Meta has been Van Helsing'd:

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

Can you quote the contents of tweets in the future please? This tweet was either deleted or just didn't load for me

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    kime wrote: »

Can you quote the contents of tweets in the future please? This tweet was either deleted or just didn't load for me

Nosferatu-American, private spymaster, and Zuckerberg mentor Peter Thiel is leaving Meta/Facebook's board, where he's sat from the inception.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Nosferatu-American, private spymaster, and Zuckerberg mentor Peter Thiel is leaving Meta/Facebook's board, where he's sat from the inception.

What are the implications?

Sic transit gloria mundi.

Given that Thiel is pretty much The Incarnation Of What Is Wrong With Silicon Valley, as well as being an early investor and Zuckerberg's mentor, his departure has to have people wondering if there's a shakeup coming.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    2358 1635

Given that Thiel is pretty much The Incarnation Of What Is Wrong With Silicon Valley, as well as being an early investor and Zuckerberg's mentor, his departure has to have people wondering if there's a shakeup coming.

As long as Zuck himself is still present Facebook "Meta" is never going to become good but without Thiel it might at least be moderately less racist?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I would put hard money against anything meaningful

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    I would put hard money against anything meaningful

I feel like it at least says that Theil's position was weak enough he could be used as the sacrificial lamb for last week's big bad very awful week for Facebook. Which could in turn mean the libertarian technocrats are losing favor over there.

• MillMill Registered User regular
    If he was Zuckerbergs mentor and at the company from the start. I'm highly doubtful that he was a sacrificial lamb and likely knows where some dirty laundry is. So he is either leaving by choice or something significantly bad for the company has happened, that it's better to throw his ass under the bus, even if he decides to airs damaging information.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Thiel is reportedly leaving the Facebook board to focus on politics.

Which in his case means he’s now bankrolling fascists full time

fuck gendered marketing
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

Damn fucking monkey paw!!!! ThAts not what I fucking meant!!1!

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Frankly, I don't think we will notice any differences. It's not as if Thiel wasn't using Facebook for politics, including bankrolling fascists.

mrondeau wrote: »
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Frankly, I don't think we will notice any differences. It's not as if Thiel wasn't using Facebook for politics, including bankrolling fascists.

ehh... i kind of doubt Facebook will tighten up it's ship re: promoting fascism after Thiel leaves

fuck gendered marketing
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    There's an excellent article recently posted on The Atlantic: Facebook Has a Superuser-Supremacy Problem.

Very eye-opening in a disturbing way.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    There's an excellent article recently posted on The Atlantic: Facebook Has a Superuser-Supremacy Problem.

When the loudest voice in the room gets to be that in all the rooms, even if 100% of what they say is bullshit.

When the loudest voice in the room gets to be that in all the rooms, even if 100% of what they say is bullshit.

This is actually a common problem on a lot of websites and online games, as a small treehouse of users tend to gain a ton of control and gatekeep as they see fit. The difference for Facebook seems to be that where most companies would try to limit these hateful interactions in at least some degree, Facebook said "nah, fuck it" and juiced their algorithms to elevate the nastiest trolls on the platform.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    David Roth, notorious small business owner, with the description of the day about Facebook, Meta’s legacy product:
    [Facebook is] "a hugely profitable but ungovernable, unwieldy, widely detested derangement engine ruled by a sociopathic algorithm and an overbearing cadre of psychotic power users, reviled and abandoned by younger users and in every sense but the most literal a haunted space station overrun by goblins and skunks"

From Defector, a great site with a model that shits in Zuck’s eye (for now)

https://defector.com/facebook-meta-asks-wouldnt-it-be-nice-to-die/

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    David Roth, notorious small business owner, with the description of the day about Facebook, Meta’s legacy product:
    [Facebook is] "a hugely profitable but ungovernable, unwieldy, widely detested derangement engine ruled by a sociopathic algorithm and an overbearing cadre of psychotic power users, reviled and abandoned by younger users and in every sense but the most literal a haunted space station overrun by goblins and skunks"

From Defector, a great site with a model that shits in Zuck’s eye (for now)

https://defector.com/facebook-meta-asks-wouldnt-it-be-nice-to-die/

Zuck is flying dangerously close to the sun. His Metaverse is costing the company money. Yea I know he technically owns the company, but you piss off too many powerful people, and there will be consequences.

edited February 2022
    Zuck's problem is that they based the entire core concept of the platform AND company on unlimited, never ending growth. They were never going to maintain that model and this flaccid attempt at the metaverse seems almost like an afterthought to try and kickstart their VR technology and force everyone into their next unlimited growth domain. It would probably work if the technology was there, but it's not even close. It should have been obvious to Zuck that you're an untouchable internet mammoth right up until the day you're suddenly not. And you better have a backup, shrink back and focus on your core products, plan when it happens.

Dark_Side on
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Zuck's problem is that they based the entire core concept of the platform AND company on unlimited, never ending growth. They were never going to maintain that model and this flaccid attempt at the metaverse seems almost like an afterthought to try and kickstart their VR technology and force everyone into their next unlimited growth domain. It would probably work if the technology was there, but it's not even close. It should have been obvious to Zuck that you're an untouchable internet mammoth right up until the day you're suddenly not. And you better have a backup, shrink back and focus on your core products, plan when it happens.

Zuck isn't the only one running into this problem.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    edited February 2022
    But their core product is a haunted space station overrun by goblins and skunks

Allow me to quote the full sentence-
    But if you were where Meta currently is, which is presiding over a hugely profitable but ungovernable, unwieldy, widely detested derangement engine ruled by a sociopathic algorithm and an overbearing cadre of psychotic power users, reviled and abandoned by younger users and in every sense but the most literal a haunted space station overrun by goblins and skunks, you too would want to live in the future

They can’t shrink back to the core product because it’s metaphorically an animatronic puppet being smooshed in a trash compactor

Now if they shifted the core business to helpful communities, they might be able to change their reputation and stanch the user base runoff, but they still see their business as:
    surveillance-driven digital advertising

Captain Inertia on
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022

But if you were where Meta currently is, which is presiding over a hugely profitable but ungovernable, unwieldy, widely detested derangement engine ruled by a sociopathic algorithm and an overbearing cadre of psychotic power users, reviled and abandoned by younger users and in every sense but the most literal a haunted space station overrun by goblins and skunks, you too would want to live in the future

They can’t shrink back to the core product because it’s metaphorically an animatronic puppet being smooshed in a trash compactor

Now if they shifted the core business to helpful communities, they might be able to change their reputation and stanch the user base runoff, but they still see their business as:

Huh. I could have sworn their business was "fellate fascists and Russian troll farms".

[Expletive deleted] on
    Sic transit gloria mundi.

Now if they shifted the core business to helpful communities, they might be able to change their reputation and stanch the user base runoff...

I think they absolutely could roll back and start fixing the problems on Facebook. If they spent a year fixing the troll problem, cleaning out the bots and fascist bullshit, and focused on a great user experience that say...didn't fill your feed with ads and purposely inflammatory troll posts, they'd likely maintain a profitable user base. Making a bunch of small, incremental changes over time would likely get them back in the good graces of governments and the tech world. But they would be Yahoo, and Zuckerburg's ego can't handle that.

So instead...as that article brutally points out, they abandon the drifting hulk to the warp and leave the rest of us to deal with Facebook's consequences. And of course that was always the plan all along.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I would happily interact more with facebook if they let me see what my friends and family post .... but that would be ridiculous

I’m very happy NOT seeing what my family thinks which is one (small) part of my lack of Facebook

Huh. I could have sworn their business was "fellate fascists and Russian troll farms".

Nah that doesn’t pay the bills

They do that for fun

fuck gendered marketing
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    We could go back to everybody bugging everybody else for Farmville currency

The good old days

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Facebook and Instagram have a new policy where you are temporarily allowed to call for violence against Russian people??!?!

"As a result of the Russian invasion of Ukraine we have temporarily made allowances for forms of political expression that would normally violate our rules like violent speech such as 'death to the Russian invaders.' We still won’t allow credible calls for violence against Russian civilians," a Meta spokesperson said in a statement.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    34th Rule of Acquisition.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Zuck's mad that after all his efforts to amplify Russian troll farms, Facebook still got banned in Russia.

And Facebook's already set off at least one genocide and a LOT of political violence around the world so they've got practice at this sort of thing.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Imagine the headlines for facebook when "Ukranians banned for being mad at the people mass bombing them and committing war crimes" comes up. I am sure they would be thrilled with it.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    SCOOP: Meta is paying Targeted Victory, one of the biggest Republican consulting firms, to quietly orchestrate a nationwide campaign to turn the public against TikTok.

We got a hold of documents outlining their plan. Read my and drewharwell story
    The campaign includes placing op-eds and letters to the editor in major regional news outlets, promoting dubious stories about alleged TikTok trends that actually originated on Facebook, and pushing to draw political reporters and local politicians into helping take down its biggest competitor. These bare-knuckle tactics, long commonplace in the world of politics, have become increasingly noticeable within a tech industry where companies vie for cultural relevance and come at a time when Facebook is under pressure to win back young users.
    Campaign operatives were also encouraged to use TikTok’s prominence as a way to deflect from Meta’s own privacy and antitrust concerns.

“Bonus point if we can fit this into a broader message that the current bills/proposals aren’t where [state attorneys general] or members of Congress should be focused,” a Targeted Victory staffer wrote.
    In October, Targeted Victory worked to spread rumors of the “Slap a Teacher TikTok challenge” in local news, touting a local news report on the alleged challenge in Hawaii. In reality, no such challenge existed on TikTok. Again, the rumor started on Facebook, according to a series of Facebook posts first documented by Insider.
    Meta outspends all but six of the nation’s biggest companies and industry groups in federal lobbying, paying more than $20 million last year, according to data compiled by OpenSecrets.

DarkPrimus on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    This is definitely a "Let them fight" meme moment.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    There are already plenty of reasons to avoid TikTok we don't need to bury them under lies.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Who is the tweeter/source? Is that reputable?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

I will say this - Tiktok remains a testiment to Jack Dorsey's failure as CEO of Twitter.

38thDoe wrote: »
    Who is the tweeter/source? Is that reputable?

Its a link to a story in the Washington post

I will say this - Tiktok remains a testiment to Jack Dorsey's failure as CEO of Twitter.

Dude bought pre-tiktok for just $30 million. Pretty good move!

Admittedly, he shut it down 4 years after buying it, in 2016, the same year that Tiktok launched.

Taylor Lorenz is a very high profile tech reporter

I know her very well because after every story she writes, there’s a follow up story about her being harassed with rape and death threats by Musk’s fans

This discussion has been closed.