As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - 2042

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited February 2022 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - 2042

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    That's never troubled you before, EA. What's changed?

• PALaxxPALaxx Registered User regular
    An EA executive outwardly declaring a game they published was bad? I don't believe this. What universe did I fall into?

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I do love the blame Halo play.

How can our game be successful, when a much better game in the same genre is also out on the market?

That is technically correct.

zepherin wrote: »
    I do love the blame Halo play.

How can our game be successful, when a much better game in the same genre is also out on the market?

That is technically correct.

"That's the problem with allowing competition"

- EA, probably

• BremenBremen Registered User regular
    PALaxx wrote: »
    An EA executive outwardly declaring a game they published was bad? I don't believe this. What universe did I fall into?

Penny Arcade's humor grows more absurd every day.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Bremen wrote: »
    PALaxx wrote: »

Penny Arcade's humor grows more absurd every day.

It's not for you.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I would like to point out everyone's attention to Coarse, Itchy Fabrics... the silent killer. Finally, someone is shedding a light on this scourge and making it visible!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • BahamutEosBahamutEos Registered User regular
    So had to look up what they were commenting on. It's kinda nice when a company is upfront about what's up. Our competition is better is an incredibly honest response.

• SerjoeSerjoe Registered User new member
    We released a buggy game with maps that look like they were made with the half life map editor and a polished game that delivered actual fan service outperformed us.

"Oh No"-Meme

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    "But the important takeaway is that none of these problems were caused by management."

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I was hyped for BF2042 pre-release. I wanted a nextgen Battlefield experience set in the near-future with fun tech and stuff.

But the writing was on the wall very early for this one, that it was gonna be a total shitshow. And it was.

And in a brilliant stroke of irony, they have put Vince Zampella on it as the new franchise lead. I find that to be absolutely hilarious, given that he's the Infinity Ward / Call of Duty guy. At one point in his career, Battlefield was his biggest competition, and now he's the newly appointed head who's supposed to fix it.

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It would be a lot better if the points were not miles apart and/or if there was ever anywhere near enough vehicles to traverse these distances.

In my experience 2042 is a reasonable running sim game! But as a first person shooter it has some glaring problems...

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Its funny I tried the demo/test or whatever and yeah the combat was so spread out and or shoot the dot it was anti fun. You'd spend minutes traveling to a fire fight and be dead almost instantly.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BropocalypseBropocalypse Registered User regular
    Battlefield is a series ABOUT approaching far-off objectives that might be fortified with enemies. I haven't played 2042, is its execution of that worse than in, say, Battlefield 2? Because it was fun in BF2.

• demeter699demeter699 Registered User new member
    As a woman and a gamer I loved Westwood Studios, Maxis, and EA games growing up. Now I won't touch most of their new games anymore, because everything comes across as a business scam. I wonder what nuances they have forgotten about gaming and if they put ideology, business, and money ahead of that. I feel that it's a shame, and if they had only put the gaming quality first all would come after. Where did their visionaries go? What happened to that top-of the line vision of the future the company pitched us while we were kids?

• shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    first 2 panels were great. but that 3rd panel looks like gabe in drag.

demeter699 wrote: »
    As a woman and a gamer I loved Westwood Studios, Maxis, and EA games growing up. Now I won't touch most of their new games anymore, because everything comes across as a business scam. I wonder what nuances they have forgotten about gaming and if they put ideology, business, and money ahead of that. I feel that it's a shame, and if they had only put the gaming quality first all would come after. Where did their visionaries go? What happened to that top-of the line vision of the future the company pitched us while we were kids?

We can be thankful that there is a thriving indie game scene. After one tires of overly bright battle-royales and brown shooters there is a lot to choose from on Steam that owes nothing to the likes of EA.