As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

House/Homeowner Thread: This is no longer a quick or little project

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    Anyone have experience with drywall texture? My house has orange peel everywhere, so it looks like crap any time you need to gap fill. Should I invest in a sprayer, or are the aerosol products pretty good?
    The spray can you get from Home depot or ace works good enough. Make sure you do the repairs first.

Now for getting rid of it, Sand the wall and skim coat it. It's a pain in the ass but, it's the right way.

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'll consider that if we want to repaint the whole house, but that's more work than I care to take on right now.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Artereis wrote: »
    Anyone have experience with drywall texture? My house has orange peel everywhere, so it looks like crap any time you need to gap fill. Should I invest in a sprayer, or are the aerosol products pretty good?
    The spray can you get from Home depot or ace works good enough. Make sure you do the repairs first.

Now for getting rid of it, Sand the wall and skim coat it. It's a pain in the ass but, it's the right way.

The homax (I think that's the name) sprays are actually pretty good! We have knockdown everywhere, and it's saved my butt on a few repairs. I recommend practicing with it on some junk materials first - the spray and swipe takes a little learning to get right in my limited experience.

• SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    AHHHHHH I really really hate Mother Nature right now.

Blew a shingle off of our roof the other day southernly wind gusts easily 30-40 mph. So my dad came down today and we got it repaired. 1 hour after he leaves, 30-40 mph wind gusts with sustained ~20mph winds. I can't get up there to repair it myself while this is going on, and it's supposed to rain tomorrow!

Someone really hates me right now. It's near the very top of the roof, so it will probably be okay until Sunday but I did not need this stress right now.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    The price of lumber has gone stupid again. Just paid $112 for eight 8' 2x4s and three 8' 2x6s....

nibXTE7.png
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    The price of lumber has gone stupid again. Just paid $112 for eight 8' 2x4s and three 8' 2x6s....

Holy shit

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    I promised Ikea-adventure updates at the end of the last thread and I am here to deliver.

I call this "When You Unexpectedly Find The Last Piece 10 Minutes Before The Store Closes And They Only Had One Left"
    2wd5bgw3hcrb.jpeg

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    This is reminding me of work shit.
    "I'm buying this 75" TV, can you help me load it?"
    "Yeah sure, what have you got?"
    "Oh it'll fit."
    *Pulls up in a Camry*

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm guilty of that. I was very optimistic when we got our new patio furniture, but apparently 6 chairs and a table didn't fit in my Auris SW. I was lucky and got help from a stranger with a pickup truck who happened to live nearby though.

• swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    This is reminding me of work shit.
    "I'm buying this 75" TV, can you help me load it?"
    "Yeah sure, what have you got?"
    "Oh it'll fit."
    *Pulls up in a Camry*

Ha! I can ensure you the Ikea-person you see in the background retrieving carts did not even come close to making eye contact with me while I struggled to jenga this box in for 10 minutes.

• GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Saw someone leaving Costco with the Home Depot rental truck once and thought "oh they thought ahead pretty well" but then they got on the big road and apparently hadn't brought straps. They'd loaded the flatpack furniture on end rather than on edge or flat stacked, so when the wind hit it, they all flopped back and forth violently... I imagine they got to find out how liberal Costco was willing to be on their return policy.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    My 55in TCL TV fit perfectly in the hatchback of my old Ford Fiesta after I took the seats down. I reckon I could fit a 75in in the back of my Chevy Bolt.

I got a pickup truck three years ago and now I'm the "Truck Guy" in my group of friends.

I weirdly take a lot of joy in it because I know how it feels to haul everything in a Toyota Matrix.

I got my straps and bed extender, gimme a couple days and I'm your guy.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Finally, a wind advisory with actual relevance to homeowners:

It's missing "in a ditch a block away, but it's actually my neighbor's can."

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • JimBobtheMonkeyJimBobtheMonkey Registered User regular
    After a storm last year I walked down the alley to grab a couple trashcans for my neighbor and I. My neighbor was smart enough to move his inside the fence beforehand though, so I just had an extra can for a few weeks until someone finally grabbed it.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Been lucky in regards to wind, no major damage or lost property.

Did have a fairly large tree limb in our backyard a few summers ago. Instead of just renting a chainsaw for an hour, I hacked away at it with a bow saw for months. Would not recommend.

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Unprepared Ikea trips? The Hemnes shelves in the back all fit into a Camaro.
    og0wu532vlcy.jpg
    (Possibly just an excuse to post cat pic)

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Madpoet wrote: »
    Unprepared Ikea trips? The Hemnes shelves in the back all fit into a Camaro.
    og0wu532vlcy.jpg
    (Possibly just an excuse to post cat pic)

Playing with the clone tool there.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    The title of this thread....has been my exact experience with building a new house over the last year. No ones fault, just how it all worked out. Should finally be done next month!

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    The title of this thread....has been my exact experience with building a new house over the last year. No ones fault, just how it all worked out. Should finally be done next month!

Same here. If it had been done on time last year we would be saving $300+ per month on the mortgage. But it is what it is, our closing date is finally set next month.

One thing we can't do now is go with a stacked Washer/Dryer (think I posted the vent situation in the previous thread). Recommendations for Front Load vs Top load? So far I have:

Front Load Pros: Gentler on clothes, more efficient, fit more in, specialty stuff like steam. Cons: Have to remember to leave the front open to dry, more expensive, have more parts so more likely to break.

Top Load Pros: Can soak clothes (we won't have a sink), generally seems to clean better according to reviews, less likely to break. Cons: Harder on clothes, might not be able to handle our king comforter, no steam, less efficient.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Why can't you stack? They make all kinds of crazy vent options these days.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    The vent is angled down and installed by the builder. Using a stacked unit would cause a U shape at the bottom of the vent ducting.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    So replace the vent. If it's just the inlet angled down, that's easy. If it's angled down within the wall, cut out a little drywall and just move it up to where the stacked dryer would be? I assume since you're building, that this will be your forever home. You shouldn't have to compromise on something that would take $10 in drywall and joint compound to fix.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    I've been chasing straggler leaks on this poorly installed roof using various sealers since we bought it and decided to go scorched earth.

KKkG8kW.jpg?1

"Remains flammable for 24-48 hours after application"

It smells exactly like model cement.

nibXTE7.png
  • DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »

Same here. If it had been done on time last year we would be saving $300+ per month on the mortgage. But it is what it is, our closing date is finally set next month.

One thing we can't do now is go with a stacked Washer/Dryer (think I posted the vent situation in the previous thread). Recommendations for Front Load vs Top load? So far I have:

Front Load Pros: Gentler on clothes, more efficient, fit more in, specialty stuff like steam. Cons: Have to remember to leave the front open to dry, more expensive, have more parts so more likely to break.

Top Load Pros: Can soak clothes (we won't have a sink), generally seems to clean better according to reviews, less likely to break. Cons: Harder on clothes, might not be able to handle our king comforter, no steam, less efficient.

I've had my front load LG washer for like 13 years. When the damn thing finally breaks I'm never getting another front load. Even leaving the door open 100% of the time the thing still gets water stuck all around the gasket and ends up smelling like mildew more often than not.

• GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Daenris wrote: »

I've had my front load LG washer for like 13 years. When the damn thing finally breaks I'm never getting another front load. Even leaving the door open 100% of the time the thing still gets water stuck all around the gasket and ends up smelling like mildew more often than not.

From talking to a repairman once on my old one, they also inevitably will catastrophically fail once the spider holding the basin corrodes enough to stress fracture.

edited February 2022
    Some top loads have a steam setting. If i have a choice (instead of my wife telling me what to get) I’d get one. The front load stackable that came with the house is only ok.

zepherin on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Hello fellow homeowners.

I finally got new carpet (yay!!)

Now my doors are stuck because the new carpet and pad are considerably thicker (boo!!)

So I need to take the doors down and trim the bottoms maybe like 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Would it be better to do this with a circular saw or an electric hand planer?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Daenris wrote: »

I was a bit afraid of this. I've never had a front load, so I figure as I close in on mid-life might as well try. We ended up grabbing the LG 4200 series. The other reason is this is a townhouse, so space is kind of limited. It'll be nice to have a counter over them to fold laundry on since it's just a closet and not a room.

Hello fellow homeowners.

Now my doors are stuck because the new carpet and pad are considerably thicker (boo!!)

So I need to take the doors down and trim the bottoms maybe like 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Would it be better to do this with a circular saw or an electric hand planer?

One hundred percent a planer or a table saw.

Keeping a circular saw true for that small of a cut is going to be really hard.

I wouldn't take the door down too much because then as the carpet settles you're going to have this big gap at the bottom

edited February 2022
    I got curious and looked at Zillow for our area. There are only two houses under $200k in our entire zip code. They're both a thousand square feet smaller than ours, no garage, on smaller plots of land that are hill/mountain side so not usable as yards or anything. A house a block over from us went up for sale Friday, about a hundred square feet smaller than ours, no garage, slightly larger plot of land but again almost all on an incline. It went contingent today for $400k.

Admittedly despite not being updated since around 2000ish that house is completely habitable unlike the Cronenbergian nightmare of a home I have but still, some day...

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Hello fellow homeowners.

I wouldn't take the door down too much because then as the carpet settles you're going to have this big gap at the bottom

Also sand the bottom of the door smooth once you cut it if it's going to be in contact with the carpet at all (and honestly even if it's not). A friend of mine didn't think of that and after about a year the arc of the door was very visible in the carpet.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Not sure if I've posted this particular annoyance before, but this has been bugging me since we moved in.

4hxhj71bkdgl.png

Flipper decided an outlet was needed on the side of the cabinet and also decided quality wasn't an issue. They hacked the shit out of the "wood" and didn't secure the outlet box, so it would pull out of the wall every time we used it.

I couldn't decide the best method for fixing so kept putting off. Finally went with some "plastic wood" to rebuild the missing area so I could secure the outlet box and the outlet. Not the best job, but it'll due; that's all covered up by the outlet cover except that lower spot where I accidently sanded too far. Not sure what would be a better solution - buy a matching panel and cut a patch?

y9xbs98ftp30.png

MichaelLC on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Wife and I have paid stuff down and have about 18k saved up. Time to officially start house hunting in an awful market in a state with the second or third highest property taxes!

MichaelLC wrote: »
    Not sure if I've posted this particular annoyance before, but this has been bugging me since we moved in.

4hxhj71bkdgl.png

Flipper decided an outlet was needed on the side of the cabinet and also decided quality wasn't an issue. They hacked the shit out of the "wood" and didn't secure the outlet box, so it would pull out of the wall every time we used it.

I couldn't decide the best method for fixing so kept putting off. Finally went with some "plastic wood" to rebuild the missing area so I could secure the outlet box and the outlet. Not the best job, but it'll due; that's all covered up by the outlet cover except that lower spot where I accidently sanded too far. Not sure what would be a better solution - buy a matching panel and cut a patch?

y9xbs98ftp30.png
    I wouldn’t try to match. I would go with a stainless steel cover plate. Your solution won’t quite match. I wouldn’t try to. A metal coverplate will look fine. It’s a shame they didn’t use a proper electrical box for that outlet.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

4hxhj71bkdgl.png

[img]htt ps://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/54/y9xbs98ftp30.png[/img]

it looks like you can get one of those jumbo size cover plates and that cover everything

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    Yeah, you're never going to get something to match. I think the solution is go in the opposite direction, get a thick cover plate that goes with the rest of the rooms finishes.

edited February 2022
    Yeah, you're never going to get something to match. I think the solution is go in the opposite direction, get a thick cover plate that goes with the rest of the rooms finishes.

Thanks. Yeah the cover plate is fine aside from that lower spot and mostly got that with furniture blending sticks. Got one of those screwless plates because they're a little bigger.

dw23j97j58rn.jpg

Next on my annoyance list is the sliding shower door that won't stay shut.

MichaelLC on
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Hello fellow homeowners.

It's easier with either but I did it with a circular saw. Was a right bitch to get the fence right but I got there. We still have one more that needs trimmed

Mugsley on
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I trimmed two sides of a couple doors with a circular saw. Wasn't hard, but I do have a kreg ripping jig that makes dialing in cut depth pretty easy.

And, being realistic, if you've got a circular saw on hand and your fence is off like 1/8th of an inch when you're trying to trim 1/4 from the bottom of the door you're probably never going to notice anyway.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
This discussion has been closed.