As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] Thread: Denver Gets That Tall Pocket Passer They've Been Missing

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I think that's setting the expectation of someone at rock bar min. Someone took a dangerous fall and his response was to walk away and let his wife do something.

If he was as inebriated as reported, I still see that as arguably best case.

I've been around drunk people 'trying to help'. It rarely ends well.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I've been wanting to reserve comment because I haven't seen the video, but honestly we don't know what we didn't see. Maybe he did flag someone to go check it out, maybe he just shrugged it off, maybe he didn't realize what he was seeing (thought she was fine, etc), and his wife got help.

I do think it's a little silly to be upset at a very drunk person for not acting more soberly.

I also think it's ridiculous to imply adding a drunk person to the mix was going to be good for a potential spinal injury.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    it was a bad/garbag-y person facial/expression and then he turns his back and walks away

You would expect a good person to try to help in some way, you’d expect a non-bad person to not react the way he did

Probably he’s not as full garbage as what we saw, he was just majorly drunk and not processing, but queue the Achewood ~worst possible answer .jpg

Just super cringe and awful

it was a bad/garbag-y person facial/expression and then he turns his back and walks away

You would expect a good person to try to help in some way, you’d expect a non-bad person to not react the way he did

Probably he’s not as full garbage as what we saw, he was just majorly drunk and not processing, but queue the Achewood ~worst possible answer .jpg

I guess my question is, honestly, do you think he would have acted the same way if he were stone sober?

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

I guess my question is, honestly, do you think he would have acted the same way if he were stone sober?

Yep pretty sure he would have.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Yep pretty sure he would have.

Hard disagree

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I dunno for sure, but it's enough to keep him out of the Hall. And if he does get in, give him the asterisk.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    I wouldn't want him touching her at all
    spinal injuries are no joke
    Knowing him he'd turn her over or something

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    The sticking point for me isn't that he didn't administer aid.

But that he basically pulled a Clarkson OhNo.jpg

I have a very hard time with that, because the bare minimum of caring even slightly just, wasn't there.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    The sticking point for me isn't that he didn't administer aid.

But that he basically pulled a Clarkson OhNo.jpg

I have a very hard time with that, because the bare minimum of caring even slightly just, wasn't there.

What was he supposed to do? Like really. What aid?

The stage dropoff was like 7 or 8 feet. So he was supposed to drunkenly jump down 8 feet off the stage and do what? Sign her shirt? Give her a pep talk? Dude is an athlete, a super drunk one at the time, and left the medical stuff to the medical people that were already clearly alerted or about to be alerted. Seems like a perfectly reasonable and good choice to make.

It's the same choice he makes for his team when they get hurt on the field. Step back and let the medical dudes do their job.

Be concerned even a little bit.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    If it's one thing we can all agree on it's that all people are rational actors all the time. Including when drunk.

So when a person doesn't act how you think they should, it's completely rational to bitch about it like they flipped off a box of kittens.

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i think its telling that the camera staid on him and not the lady falling! who else can we condemn?!?

Pailryder wrote: »
    i think its telling that the camera staid on him and not the lady falling! who else can we condemn?!?

I mean, the person taking the footage of Stafford walking away, is arguably at least as bad.

Matty buggered off, either through apathy, or because he knew he wasn't in shape to do something.

Camera guy made the decision that staying on Matty would be more profitable than helping.

It comes back to what I said earlier. What Stafford did wasn't great, but it's no different to most of the dozens/hundreds of people in the area that also did nothing, but don't get the same scorn.

He's a football player. Not a moral beacon. Not a hero. As long as he didn't make things worse, I don't expect anything more, really.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Frankly even good people don't always react the same way when they see something potentially horrific, especially if it happens right in front of them.

I remember years back when we were driving home from Minneapolis we had to slow roll past a very bad accident involving a motorcycle. I'm going to spoiler this because it's really graphic
    First we saw the motorcycle on it's side with the person mostly still on it because a leg was pinned underneath.

Then we saw a pinkish white trail that lasted about 30 feet or so.

Then we saw the helmet.

Then we realized that the helmet still had a head inside of it.

I was driving and recoiled physically. The person in the passenger seat completely shut down for about 20 minutes. The person in the back seat was literally dry heaving.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if his brain just went "Nope. Nope, we are not handling this right now." Especially if he was drunk.

All of the "He sucks for not getting help!" strikes me as very similar to "Well if I'd been there..." bullshit that always seems to come up.

Because you weren't there, you didn't witness a potentially horrific accident, and you damn sure can't say what you'd have actually done. At best you can say what you think you'd have done or more accurately what you hope you'd have done.

The "He made a face and walked away!" rings super hollow to me though because seeing something like that happen to someone has a great potential for just flat out shorting peoples' brains sober or not.

He just turned around, took a sip of water, didn’t try to tell anyone or get help, just walked away

His wife demonstrated what I’d expect people to react like
    s0z4mmop2192.jpeg

It was a really bad reaction, like completely devoid of empathy and I agree, people react in all sorts of unexpected ways

I might have reacted that way if super drunk, I don’t think I would have, but might have, sure, and if I had, I’d absolutely expect to eat all the shit he’s getting right now too

When faced with another person falling in a life threatening situation, he reacted with indifference. It sucks.

Some of y'all have never gotten drunk like you just won the Superbowl and it shows

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I the latest example of 'How Does The Washington Football Team Fuck This Up So Much?' when they debuted their new team nickname, you may have noticed that it displayed five different years on it. These represent the years in the team's history that it won the top championship. Two NFL Championships and three Super Bowls. The problem? The three SB dates are the years the games were played (1983, 1988, 1992) and not the years for the seasons played leading into it (1982, 1987, 1991). The LA Rams won in 2022, but they are not the 2022 champions.

So, after many people pointed this out, the team has decided to change this aspect. To the roman numerals representing the specific Super Bowls.

And the League told them no. All team logo changes must be presented to the NFL for approval and the league's position is basically 'you already did this'.

How did the team fuck this up? Because they had two years to get to this point and not one single person (at least anybody with any sway) pointed out that some of the details weren't correct.

I the latest example of 'How Does The Washington Football Team Fuck This Up So Much?' when they debuted their new team nickname, you may have noticed that it displayed five different years on it. These represent the years in the team's history that it won the top championship. Two NFL Championships and three Super Bowls. The problem? The three SB dates are the years the games were played (1983, 1988, 1992) and not the years for the seasons played leading into it (1982, 1987, 1991). The LA Rams won in 2022, but they are not the 2022 champions.

So, after many people pointed this out, the team has decided to change this aspect. To the roman numerals representing the specific Super Bowls.

And the League told them no. All team logo changes must be presented to the NFL for approval and the league's position is basically 'you already did this'.

How did the team fuck this up? Because they had two years to get to this point and not one single person (at least anybody with any sway) pointed out that some of the details weren't correct.

See? That is the level of day-drinking we're talking about.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I've been wanting to reserve comment because I haven't seen the video, but honestly we don't know what we didn't see. Maybe he did flag someone to go check it out, maybe he just shrugged it off, maybe he didn't realize what he was seeing (thought she was fine, etc), and his wife got help.

I do think it's a little silly to be upset at a very drunk person for not acting more soberly.

I also think it's ridiculous to imply adding a drunk person to the mix was going to be good for a potential spinal injury.
    I’ve literally seen 2 drunk persons trying to help someone who fell in a ditch (also drunk) out of the ditch, and it led to a spinal injury.

Drunk people with no training suck in emergencies.

Brian Daboll Flores is the new linebackers coach and defensive assistant with Pittsburgh.

Brian Daboll Flores is the new linebackers coach and defensive assistant with Pittsburgh.

The Pittsburgh Steelers.

The NFL equivalent of "I can't be racist, I have a black friend."

At least the case is continuing, and this isn't a "shut him up" hire.
    https://www.espn.com.au/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/33149/how-the-steelers-got-better-by-hiring-brian-flores-who-will-continue-litigation-against-nfl

Speaking (again) of Pittsburgh, they have decided that right now they will start the season with dipshit Mason Rudolph as their starter. This year's draft must be absolutely woeful if they'll admit to this.

Houston has set a price for Deshaun Watson: three first round picks and five to seven assets. Other than Houston or Dan Snyder, who is dumb enough to go for it?

And finally, the NFL has decided to partner with the XFL. Mostly to test out new rules. There will be no player sharing. Why was Dwayne Johnson part of Super Bowl 56 stuff? This is why. The XFL returns in 2023.

• GyralGyral Registered User regular
    I'm impressed at Houston's asking price for a guy that probably won't see another snap in a Texans uniform.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I will say the QB I see NFL people talking themselves into is the one I would (Ridder) if I were in their position. Wouldn't be happy about it though.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

The Pittsburgh Steelers.

https://www.espn.com.au/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/33149/how-the-steelers-got-better-by-hiring-brian-flores-who-will-continue-litigation-against-nfl

Do we think this was Tomlin's idea?

Genuinely curious.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Auralynx wrote: »

The Pittsburgh Steelers.

Genuinely curious.

Roger Goodell.

Auralynx wrote: »

The Pittsburgh Steelers.

Genuinely curious.

Depends on Flores's asking price. He's clearly shown talent (which is why he's got a legit case), so if the price was good enough, I can see the Rooneys wanting him.

I'm sure the Rooneys are absolute shit in at least one area of their corporate lives, but poor racial relations clearly isn't one of them.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Minkah Fitzpatrick is probably shitting a brick, though.

sig.gif
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Aikman's reportedly going to make MNF even less relevant/watchable.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Speaking (again) of Pittsburgh, they have decided that right now they will start the season with dipshit Mason Rudolph as their starter. This year's draft must be absolutely woeful if they'll admit to this.

Houston has set a price for Deshaun Watson: three first round picks and five to seven assets. Other than Houston or Dan Snyder, who is dumb enough to go for it?

And finally, the NFL has decided to partner with the XFL. Mostly to test out new rules. There will be no player sharing. Why was Dwayne Johnson part of Super Bowl 56 stuff? This is why. The XFL returns in 2023.
    The Broncos had better not go after Deshaun Watson.

• GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Aikman's reportedly going to make MNF even less relevant/watchable.

Since I barely watch MNF anymore, this is like the best turn of events for me.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

Agreed. And absolutely any other team. He is damaged goods at this point.

Ticaldfjam wrote: »

Dan Snyder on line three.

Only a fucking idiot would trade for him given what the Texans still want for him. Three firsts, and 2-4 other "assets". For a player that's been off the field for a year, might be off it another, and depending on how the cases proceed, might never play again.

Unfortunately there's still quite a few franchises that are fucking idiots, some obvious (Chicago, Miami), and a few that are desperate at that one position (aforementioned Broncos, maybe Browns).

Was only a couple years ago it felt like the QB position wasn't a big need, and now we're back to a dozen QB's that can win games themselves, another dozen that can ride a good team and not cost them games (that would still sell out for the first category), and the remaining teams that'd shiv someone for mediocrity.

Again, Dan Snyder on line three.

Is there anybody who thinks Heinicke is any kind of solution?

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

Only a fucking idiot would trade for him given what the Texans still want for him. Three firsts, and 2-4 other "assets". For a player that's been off the field for a year, might be off it another, and depending on how the cases proceed, might never play again.

Unfortunately there's still quite a few franchises that are fucking idiots, some obvious (Chicago, Miami), and a few that are desperate at that one position (aforementioned Broncos, maybe Browns).

Was only a couple years ago it felt like the QB position wasn't a big need, and now we're back to a dozen QB's that can win games themselves, another dozen that can ride a good team and not cost them games (that would still sell out for the first category), and the remaining teams that'd shiv someone for mediocrity.
    The thing with Miami is though, while the owner is a piece of shit, I think all the Watson talk was basically from Flores, because he didn't like Tua. So now that Flores is gone, hopefully the talk is as well.

sig.gif
    Again, Dan Snyder on line three.

Is there anybody who thinks Heinicke is any kind of solution?

No, Fitz should be back this season, right?

(heh)

Chicago is headed by a 188 year old virgin mummy that won't allow cheerleaders and makes the coaches go to church with her. Watson isn't coming to Chicago.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Chicago is headed by a 188 year old virgin mummy that won't allow cheerleaders and makes the coaches go to church with her. Watson isn't coming to Chicago.

Considering how the NFL treats cheerleaders, that sounds like a good thing?

Stabbity_Style.png