As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures] Finn is a Big Deal

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Got to play a simplified version of X-Wing tonight, because I was "teaching" the game via Tabletop Simulator to a collection of 9 year-olds.

They, in X-Wings, had to fly through an asteroid field and raid an Imperial supply depot protected by a patrol of 4 whole TIE Fighters. They had to get close enough to the containers to ID the one with the secret plans and blow it up with a torpedo. (They could also use a torpedo to one-shot a TIE Fighter.)

On the "last turn," they ID'd the proper container and got into torpedo range. Two simultaneous torpedo shots detonated the container, earning the Rebels the win. Much virtual high-fiving ensued.

All in all, went really well, and really makes me wish I got to play the real thing of this more often.

Fuckin' A. I'm bummed I sold my stuff, but It never hit the table. I'd love to play again sometime though.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Well the time has come. Execute Order 66. :(

As much as I love the minis I really need to let them go for more space. Plus I really want them to go to someone who will enjoy them as much as I did (or more if you actually play with them). Let me know if you are interested in these (I have all the stuff that goes with them, just stuffed them into a box somewhere). All I'm asking at the least is shipping for them. If you want to pay more that's cool, but I'm looking for a PA member to enjoy them rather than a scalper. I'd love it if they all went to one home, but I know that some of you might just want a few of them.
    X-Wing_01.jpg

X-Wing_02.jpg

X-Wing_03.jpg

Edit: Entire set has been adopted by a great PA member! Thanks PA for always being classy.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    <3

I know it's a hard decision...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    The Trident class is a BIG BOI.

9kZXPKJl.jpg

But at least the box has a lot of components! ... Wait.

T5nihVEl.jpg

Enhance...

Does that say 1-4 player campaign that is CO-OP?

And is that an Autonoma deck?

The fuck?! They designed this sucker with solo X-wing play in mind?!

Nice!

Strikes a mean pose, too. The horizontal tentacles on mine have just a little bit of articulation, so I have no clue if that is supposed to happen or not. It might be just for packaging/shipping purposes.

66nOsidl.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    That's such a cool looking ship, and the solo mode makes me highly likely to pick it up.

• TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular

Looks like we're getting some new FO ships! And some more Y-Wings. It's kinda hard to get excited about Y-Wings.

oh h*ck
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I sat staring at the core box and a few of the other expansions today. I've never played a game like this, but... Prepainted miniatures. Star Wars. I feel like I'm on the precipice here.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    It's a really, really good game, @Dashui .

How many people do you have to play with?

I collect it because the minis are so good. I have played a handful of times, and would love to play more.

Also, if you want to play a learning game, I'm happy to run you (or anyone else, really! Open invite!) through a Tabletop Simulator or Vassal game. Or three. :D

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Also, if you want to play a learning game, I'm happy to run you (or anyone else, really! Open invite!) through a Tabletop Simulator or Vassal game. Or three. :D

I might have to take you up on this sometime this week. I'm just trying to get reps before the GSP tournament though.

Well, a bit more context to the Armada announcements recently has come out. Namely, setting expectations for this.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Maybe they'll focussing on xwing. Would be the most generous expectation.
    Mando doesn't have all that much new ships though, I think. Mostly mothballed and reactivated older stuff.

Bad Batch is where it's at with new ships.

edited September 2021
    Look. Too much awesomeness is being revealed right now. Get in here.

3 ships in the next wave, all Mando themed.

Edit: Correction. 2 ships and a Mando themed card pack.

Edit 2: There is at least 1 more FFG-completed wave set to release in 2022.

Athenor on
    Hooo.. boy. Community's gonna be on fire.

So a few more points once the shinys passed:

• AMG is starting development of their stuff, so it'll be late 2022 before anything they have worked on shows up.
    • They are working on organized play stuff for now though, and have some kits in mind. Notably an "Aces' High" kit and another one. Aimed at new players, aimed in such a way to support people who can't play in store yet.
    • No worlds for now, but they will be at Adepticon.
    • They are discontinuing support for the X-wing Squad Builder app. Any version of it. Just PDF updates going forward.
    • They have done a massive rebalancing/retooling effort, hence the above. It's still going through final review and will be released near the end of the month, hopefully.
    • Controversial/big change #1: They are introducing a set 12-round game into the core rules. No word on how this affects tournaments.
    • Controversial/big change #2: They are eliminating the bidding system. Instead it's going to switch to a random turn order system of some kind, and deficit points when it comes to scoring. I didn't fully follow what was going on here.
    • Controversial/big change #3: They are introducing a Banned and Restricted list. No word on how it will be different from Hyperspace.
    • AMG Product #1: They are going to be introducing battle packs. Based on the OP card they'll be doing for Aces High, these packs will be standardized loadouts printed on tarot cards. They'll contain all the game information you need to play. They will have set point costs, which will be slightly discounted from the customization options. Interestingly, they said they might even break the rules of a ship with this, such as representing prototypes. The first couple packs will represent the Battle of Yavin and the Battle of Corusant. There will be associated scenarios as well.
    • AMD Product #2: Revamped campaigns. Sounds like you get to customize your pilots and make them unique, and they might be standard-legal.
    • AMD Product #3: 1.0 ship reprints. They said these are longer off due to manufacturing cycles and the like, but they are aware that not all the ships from 1.0 have made it over. So they are going to try and keep working forward with this, but this sounded like a 2023 thing.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I know I have said I gave up playing the game because of how stale and boring it was to play the same fight even with different ships. By the time the campaign/ scenario system which I wanted in the first place I had given up on the game. I still felt 2.0 was a fumble knowing you had to buy X copies of the box if you played with certain ship heavy fleets. I still have my ships from then

Oh, I missed that one of the op kits is gonna be being soccer.

THE DEAD SPEAK!

Okay, sorry about that.

Uh, but apparently Atomic Mass Games is finally getting off their asses and releasing some new X-Wing stuff.

Specifically, MANDALORIANS!!!

They've got three new things coming out - a Reinforcements pack (new pilot cards and ship tokens) called Forces of Mandalore, covering Republic, Separatist, Rebel, Imperial, and Scum factions

gk3s7atugzqn.png

The RAZOR CREST!

bbro7kugtzom.png

... and the Gauntlet Fighter (not yet available for preorder), who is a very chunky boy:

cv4tupfxk9du.png
    acm8klr2744z.png

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Is that a massive fang fighter?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Is that a massive fang fighter?

The design is very similar.
    Kind of like comparing the Exegol star destroyers to a standard Imperial star destroyer.
    They look the same from a distance, but one is much bigger.

I believe these are the last of the FFG designed ships, or things that were in the pipeline, if memory serves.

That said, I got to admit.. I'm not a fan of how AMG promotes their stuff. I have no clue when new announcements are coming, because they only post to social media and such.

Yeah, their website blows asschunks.

edited February 2022
    AMG just dropped their latest points update.. and a complete overhaul of how squad building works in this game.

Here's the document link:
    https://www.atomicmassgames.com/xwing-documents
    Effective date is March 1st. Doesn't appear to include Epic play stuff. (Edit: Yeah, there's a reference in the Huge Ship appendix that an update to that is coming later.)

Here's the post explaining their rationale (not date stamped, which is annoying)
    https://www.atomicmassgames.com/xwing-update-article

Quick points that definitely don't get across nuance:
    3-8 ships per squad
    Squads now have a cap of 20 points (down from 200)
    Vehicles now have a "Loadout value" that dictates how many upgrades they can field
    Upgrade prices are now fixed, dictated by the strongest use case.
    Lots of ships have had their slots adjusted as a result

All of this was aiming to streamline and simplify things to help promote scenario play - to give people direction, and to not make you have to choose between playing the vehicles you want and the upgrades that those ships get. I also suspect the simplification was a result of killing the official app.

Athenor on
    Atomic Mass Games's website sucks shit.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Why are there some ships (like the Lambda shuttle) that you can't take in standard?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    AMG just dropped their latest points update.. and a complete overhaul of how squad building works in this game.

Here's the document link:
    https://www.atomicmassgames.com/xwing-documents
    Effective date is March 1st. Doesn't appear to include Epic play stuff. (Edit: Yeah, there's a reference in the Huge Ship appendix that an update to that is coming later.)

Here's the post explaining their rationale (not date stamped, which is annoying)
    https://www.atomicmassgames.com/xwing-update-article

Quick points that definitely don't get across nuance:
    3-8 ships per squad
    Squads now have a cap of 20 points (down from 200)
    Vehicles now have a "Loadout value" that dictates how many upgrades they can field
    Upgrade prices are now fixed, dictated by the strongest use case.
    Lots of ships have had their slots adjusted as a result

All of this was aiming to streamline and simplify things to help promote scenario play - to give people direction, and to not make you have to choose between playing the vehicles you want and the upgrades that those ships get. I also suspect the simplification was a result of killing the official app.

WOW. All of this is so baffling. Feels like they're trying to kill it off as people get tired of learning new point systems. Personally I never bothered much with the v2.0 rules, instead using quick builds or making a build or two per ship type, printing them out, and never touching the cards. Needing an app or website to use the cards just made it more bothersome than it was worth to play a fun game with my boys.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Why are there some ships (like the Lambda shuttle) that you can't take in standard?

I missed the ban list rationale.

And I dunno.. I like the simplified point building aspects? Though the randomized initiative is still gonna tick off folks.

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I kinda feel like this method makes some more sense than baseline 2.0. The variable points costs on upgrades was always a little weird. It also felt like points always wound up at some awkward number, or folks making huge points bids in certain situations.

I like the idea that upgrades aren't going to get in the way of ships that I want to take on the field. Hopefully this shakes out in practice.

I think the pre-built load outs will still be a valid way to play casually and that's a great way to get playing quickly! I don't think they are actually trying to kill it off. That'd be very silly. I've been using apps to build since I started playing, so that aspect never made a difference to me in 2.0.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

And I dunno.. I like the simplified point building aspects? Though the randomized initiative is still gonna tick off folks.

I believe the ships are based on whether it's been printed in 2.0 version yet, or if you can only get it via 1.0+conversion kit. And then basically any kind of dial peeking/manipulation is banned. (I'm not sure why Intimidate is, but I suspect it's because of the interaction with the range 0 shooting change)

The main thing I'm seeing is that a lot of generics need more loadout points if they're not going to be cheaper than named pilots. (Alpha squadron pilots for TIE interceptors are just fine at 3/2 and you just slap on Predator and call it a day since it's a very good price for the chassis, but I'm not sure the 4/7 on Saber squadron ace holds up... though giving it missiles offers a use case). On the other end of spectrum... both the Reaper and Decimator generics are just trash. Bad slots, few points, strictly inferior to named pilots. (Also, imperials have some super expensive crew that basically can't fit on reapers at all with these prices, which is annoying)

Also, I really don't know why they gave Oicunn two talent slots. With Intimidate banned in particular what exactly do you think he's putting there? The ship has 0 agility, which rules out the defensive talents, it's a turret ship which rules out most of the offensive ones...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

I believe the ships are based on whether it's been printed in 2.0 version yet, or if you can only get it via 1.0+conversion kit. And then basically any kind of dial peeking/manipulation is banned. (I'm not sure why Intimidate is, but I suspect it's because of the interaction with the range 0 shooting change)

The Lambda was in the conversion kit, and it's banned for some reason. Weird for such an iconic ship.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Honestly, I wonder if the generics having low loadout points might be intentional? Get you to use either named unique pilots or look at other ship categories to vary things up. Maybe trying to combat generic spam.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    Polaritie wrote: »

The Lambda was in the conversion kit, and it's banned for some reason. Weird for such an iconic ship.

Right, but the model hasn't been printed in a 2.0 pack yet - you can't field one without tracking down the 1.0 version. But I agree that it's odd.

PMAvers wrote: »
    Honestly, I wonder if the generics having low loadout points might be intentional? Get you to use either named unique pilots or look at other ship categories to vary things up. Maybe trying to combat generic spam.

My guess is they don't want them to be cheap quasi-aces that can do a bunch of different things?

edited February 2022
    Yeah, they definitely want to make named pilots preferable. I think they went too far.

What I'd do is give generics the same loadout cost as the lowest named pilot at the same squad cost. Maybe +1-3 depending on ship (e.g. you can go +3 on an expensive chassis like a VT-49). And then give them all the upgrade slots. The idea is that they're slightly more flexible (see the generic Saber Squadron Ace being one of the few interceptors with a missile slot), but bring no pilot ability. For generics that are cheaper than any named pilot, you give them very few loadout points. But, importantly, they need to have good loadout slots still. No chopping off half the slots. I'm thinking "you can sell the pilot ability to squeeze in just a hair more upgrade, is it really worth it? (and the initiative change, in many cases)"

I actually do think a lot of imperial generics do alright there aside from loadout slots. (Reapers need slightly more loadout points across the board I suspect). And the Lambda having no crew slots on the generic is a crime. But for the most part it's not something outside the realm of a balance pass that adds a few loadout points to a lot of generics and more slots.

Alternatively, give every list like, 5-10 floating loadout points to use on any ship. It doesn't enable massive swarms, it lets you squeeze a little more into a favorite craft or push slightly better missiles onto some fighters, etc.

Polaritie on
    Good LORD is this a big boi!

swQ00nVh.jpg

I'll be honest. If this is where X-wing ends, then I'd be fine with it. I don't know if Book of Boba Fett introduced any new cool vehicles, but it definitely feels like a good capstone, as this is the last product FFG developed.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Good LORD is this a big boi!

[url=http s://imgur.com/swQ00nV][img]http ://i.imgur.com/swQ00nVh.jpg[/img][/url]

I'll be honest. If this is where X-wing ends, then I'd be fine with it. I don't know if Book of Boba Fett introduced any new cool vehicles, but it definitely feels like a good capstone, as this is the last product FFG developed.

It introduced the Mandalorian's N-1 Mod if that counts.
    Mostly I just want to know what you'd get for the Grogu crew card.

Oh my those look good. I might need to make a trip to go pick those up sometime.

One of my buddies is moving up close to me, and he's the primary one who would play xwing with me. I know he wants to rebuild some of his collection, and I still have all my stuff, so it'll be good to have a friend here I can play casual games with. I'm pretty excited for this summer.

The gauntlet being a troop transport and having a breaching/docking collar on the back makes so much more sense.

I think this is a new ship?

AMG posted about the Rogue-Class Starfighter today (Cad Bane, Grievous's Magnaguards).

https://shop.asmodee.com/star-wars-x-wing-2nd-ed-5-rogue-class-starfighter-swz92

Interestingly, it comes with 2 copies of the ship - one in Separatist colors, the other in scum colors. This is the same scale of box they did with Y-wings a little while back.

I think I like the idea of those 2-packs. It's nice that you're not getting 2 identical copies but still getting 2 ships. And individual ships are expensive these days.
    Also, love me some Cad Bane.