As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Trek]: Now Playing: Lower Decks S3 (Latest seasons of current shows in spoilers)

evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
edited October 2022 in Debate and/or Discourse
"Secret of Vulcan Fury was cancelled in February 1999, following the continued departure of staff and because of financial problems at Interplay. During the production, three separate producers and the lead artist quit. At the time the project was shut down, it was estimated that less than 5% of the game had been completed. Lead engineer Thom Robertson later explained that the company had massively underestimated the cost of production, having expected to produce nearly seven hours of full motion video for 5% of the budget of a computer generated film such as Toy Story. They also had problems with the filming of the stop motion, as one three-day shoot was ruined when the director had red dots painted across the green screen in the hope that it would help with camera tracking. Further issues arose with the shoot as they had used a painted screen, which faded during the shoot causing problems in merging the video. Additional artists were then taken from other projects in order to mitigate those issues."

This is the Star Trek thread. Discuss. Use spoilers for the most recent season of the modern shows.

Previous thread:
https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/241741/star-trek-baby-targ-doot-doo-etc-lower-decks-s2-prodigy-s1-disco-s4-in-spoilers/p1

Jacobkosh on

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    So we have Trekkie Tuesdays in my house, but today is also TWOSday so I am wondering if we should screen episodes about clones or somesuch. TNG's "Second Chances" is a given. A Lore episode maybe? What else?

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    The 2nd or 3rd episode of DS9 had some clone stuff. You could also throw some Weyoun episodes in there, "Treachery, Faith, and the Great River" even has it as a plot element.

There was uh...also an organ farm clone episode of Enterprise but it is best left forgotten like many episodes of Enterprise. Same goes for Nemesis.

Strikor on
  • Options
    Okay, I am thinking "Second Chances" TNG, "The Enemy Within" TOS, and "Deadlock" VOY

We're currently in s7 of ds9 and "Treachery, Faith, and the Great River" is just two episodes away

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    There's a bunch of O'Brien clone episodes, the one where he jumps in time and gets replaced by his double from another timeline.
    Then there's the one where everyone's acting weird around O'Brien and he had to escape the space station, then it turns out
    he's a clone programed to kill some guy and then gets shot and dies right in front of the real O'Brien

• Options
    We added "Kayshon, His Eyes Open" from Lower Decks in order to keep the number of episodes in Twoses form

Turns out that was also Episode 2 of Season 2 so I feel like we aced this Twosday

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Ringo wrote: »
    "The Enemy Within" TOS

:sucks teeth: oh man I would...I would really have suggested Let That Be Your Last Battlefield for the TOS entry but I guess it's two late now

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    There's a bunch of O'Brien clone episodes, the one where he jumps in time and gets replaced by his double from another timeline.
    Then there's the one where everyone's acting weird around O'Brien and he had to escape the space station, then it turns out
    he's a clone programed to kill some guy and then gets shot and dies right in front of the real O'Brien

The most unbelievable part of Star Trek is that their therapy is advanced enough to deal with the insane level of psychological trauma that O'Brien has experienced. Something like Time's Orphan would be incredibly traumatizing, and I'm not even sure that's in the top ten for O'Brien Must Suffer events.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Well when you have actual telepathy as a scientific thing, not "magic", I guess that can advance the understanding of the human brain a lot

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm amazed we never got any scenes of Ezri trying to deal with Miles various traumas.
    I know they mention him getting some therapy for his virtual life sentence, but by season 7 he should have had daily appointments with her.
    "Miles, it's Tuesday, time for your therapy session about being a time-displaced clone who saw your future self die."
    "No, that's Thursday. Today is for seeing my clone die in front of me, tomorrow is having my daughter age to a feral teenager then sacrifice herself to bring her younger self back. Friday's for getting a guy who trusted me killed when I was asked to go undercover in a criminal organization for some reason."

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    You don't understand.

There is an entire section of psychotherapy dedicated to O'Brien. Each person goes into this school knowing that they can only help him for one appointment before having to retire due to a work-based mental breakdown.

Ezri is not in that field.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Lower Decks should do a gag where O'Brien talks about the one time he ended up in the Mirror Universe and actually found it quite relaxing compared to the normal one.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    The only way to bring the O’Brien joke home would be if he was the one responsible for
    Updating the software of the androids on Mars. He shows up to work on that morning, finds an email from Starfleet HQ with a new update, and dutifully uploads it per orders. Minutes later they malfunction and start killing people.

A horrible day for everyone, just another Monday for O’Brien.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Plus he's Irish so he's got a natural +5 resistance to psychoanalysis

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    If I remember right O'Brien is teaching at Starfleet Academy at the end of DS9.

He thought he was going there for engineering but really he teaches course on mental fortitude.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

He thought he was going there for engineering but really he teaches course on mental fortitude.

"I survived it and so can you"

sig.gif
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »

"I survived it and so can you"

"Except for these events where I technically didn't survive it. But you've got replicators to fix, so that's no excuse."

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    *imagines O'Brien delivering the speech at the end of The Martian*

Yeah.... yeah, okay

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    *imagines O'Brien delivering the speech at the end of The Martian*

Yeah.... yeah, okay

To be fair, I could also see him giving the speech at the end of the novel, "The Martian", as well:
    hknaeuf81w0y.png

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    I can't believe Secret of Vulcan Fury was supposed to be a stop-motion claymation game. That sounds completely crazy for Star Trek.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    When life gives you Kobiyashi Maru, make O'Brienade a transporter clone and GodProphets willing one of you survives to have PTSD about the other.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    I can't believe Secret of Vulcan Fury was supposed to be a stop-motion claymation game. That sounds completely crazy for Star Trek.

The late 90's were a wild time for video games, but this was the death throes of Interplay, they really didn't know what they were doing.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    It was pretty much a (theoretical) way to do high-quality face rendering/animation at a time when the actual CG wasn't quite up to it yet. Literally ahead of its time.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I'm going through my backlog and trying out Elite Force II. The first mission has the player on a Borg ship and after a dozen shots from your phasers, the Borg adapt and begin shielding themselves. Which is fine ... except my crewmates are running up to the Borg and wildly punching until the Borg die. And it seems to be working.

Instead of working on a better photon torpedo, has the Federation considered constructing a giant ship-sized fist to launch at invading Borg cubes?

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Instead of working on a better photon torpedo, has the Federation considered constructing a giant ship-sized fist to launch at invading Borg cubes?

"What did the five opposable digits intonate towards the visage of Locutus?"

*SLAP!*

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I don't remember where I heard this quote. It might have been related to Stargate or something, which honestly really makes sense given its setting.

"Humanity. Still just throwing rocks. Only we're throwing 1000 a minute at a speed of 2000 feet a second."

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I'm amazed we never got any scenes of Ezri trying to deal with Miles various traumas.
    I know they mention him getting some therapy for his virtual life sentence, but by season 7 he should have had daily appointments with her.
    "Miles, it's Tuesday, time for your therapy session about being a time-displaced clone who saw your future self die."
    "No, that's Thursday. Today is for seeing my clone die in front of me, tomorrow is having my daughter age to a feral teenager then sacrifice herself to bring her younger self back. Friday's for getting a guy who trusted me killed when I was asked to go undercover in a criminal organization for some reason."

I seriously doubt the man would be only having one therapy session a day, given the shit he's been through.

Of the top of my head, some incidents not mentioned yet
    -The time where they woke up the sleeper agent on Empok Nor, that was all hopped up on xenophobe juice and enough of that shit was around that Garak also got hopped up on that shit. Then everyone in the salvage team except O'Brian, Nog and Garak ended up getting killed, some of which was Garak's doing.

-The time he was framed for supplying the Marquis and had his wisdom teeth removed, while being told he was going to get convicted regardless of the truth. Granted, might have been one of the tamer episodes of the suffering of O'Brian.

-The other time where he and Bashir are helping the two douche bag governments get rid of bioweapons called harvesters. Only to have said douche bag governments collude to kill both them along with their scientists tasked with destroying the harvesters because they deemed the knowledge too dangerous. During said attempt on their lives, O'Brian gets infected by the harvesters.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    I'm going through my backlog and trying out Elite Force II. The first mission has the player on a Borg ship and after a dozen shots from your phasers, the Borg adapt and begin shielding themselves. Which is fine ... except my crewmates are running up to the Borg and wildly punching until the Borg die. And it seems to be working.

Is the ship's captain called Gork?

Stupid autocorrect

honovere on
  • Options
    honovere wrote: »

Is the ship's captain called Girl?

They brought in Patrick Stewart! A strong showing of fan service, the story takes place after Voyager returns to Earth and you're transferred to a new Enterprise.

• Options
    Ha, never mind. I got to level 4. In a stronger showing of fan service, a rescued female researcher is wearing dental floss and three bottle caps for an outfit.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Yeeeeah as much as I love the Elite Force series, said researcher is just cringe.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

You'd think that at some point the Borg would think to use shields that just block everything the first time, like everyone else does.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

You'd think that at some point the Borg would think to use shields that just block everything the first time, like everyone else does.

The Borg want to see everybody's neat toys. It's no fun if they no-sell everything.

• Options
    The Borg don't care about efficiency on the large scale, we saw the scale of bloodshed they'd endure or even self inflict without changing their strategy.

They do seem to care about efficiency on the small scale, though, only keeping currently necessary implants active and discarding unneeded drones. Weapons that they previously adapted to will work again in a later encounter and appear to adapt no faster.

There's also no particular indication on screen that blades or bullets are better against them than energy weapons. We see Worf kill two with a blade and Picard kill a small group with bullets, but both were within the window before adaptation generally takes.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    The Borg don't care about efficiency on the large scale, we saw the scale of bloodshed they'd endure or even self inflict without changing their strategy.

They do seem to care about efficiency on the small scale, though, only keeping currently necessary implants active and discarding unneeded drones. Weapons that they previously adapted to will work again in a later encounter and appear to adapt no faster.

There's also no particular indication on screen that blades or bullets are better against them than energy weapons. We see Worf kill two with a blade and Picard kill a small group with bullets, but both were within the window before adaptation generally takes.

Plus, there's logistics. I don't think we've ever seen a phaser run out of power during combat. Projectile weapons means either carrying ammunition or maintaining replicators. Melee weapons are only effective so long as the wielder isn't tired, hasn't been outflanked, and their weapon is in good condition.

As we've seen with the Federation, the Borg don't care if it takes 1 day to assimilate you or 1 century. Once you're a target, you're a target.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Mill wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »

I seriously doubt the man would be only having one therapy session a day, given the shit he's been through.

Of the top of my head, some incidents not mentioned yet
    -The time where they woke up the sleeper agent on Empok Nor, that was all hopped up on xenophobe juice and enough of that shit was around that Garak also got hopped up on that shit. Then everyone in the salvage team except O'Brian, Nog and Garak ended up getting killed, some of which was Garak's doing.

-The time he was framed for supplying the Marquis and had his wisdom teeth removed, while being told he was going to get convicted regardless of the truth. Granted, might have been one of the tamer episodes of the suffering of O'Brian.

-The other time where he and Bashir are helping the two douche bag governments get rid of bioweapons called harvesters. Only to have said douche bag governments collude to kill both them along with their scientists tasked with destroying the harvesters because they deemed the knowledge too dangerous. During said attempt on their lives, O'Brian gets infected by the harvesters.

the last one was silly because the average federation doctor knows how to make a virus bomb from warhammer 40k and the average federation engineer knows how to build all manner of doomsday weapons

I mean the difference between a functional starship engine and a planet killing weapon is a couple of BIOS settings

override367 on
  • Options
    Picard Season 2 comes out this week! Hype! :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

I am fucking hype for some more John de Lancie

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

I am fucking hype for some more John de Lancie
    For me, it was more of "Holy shit, tomorrow is MARCH already??"

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Two of Star Trek Online's ship artists were found buried in the production credits the other day, which hopefully at least means when the artificially inflated fleets show up in the last episode they won't be all the same damn ship.

This discussion has been closed.