As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Parity

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited February 2022 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Parity

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I guess nostalgia kinda glosses over this aspect of the past. We care a lot about resolution for a reason.

• Options
    Dodo SandvichDodo Sandvich Registered User regular
    Now I'm wondering if anyone ever got Doom running on way old consoles like the NES

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I think someone got it running on their fridge. Literally.

We also kind of underestimate how much more processing power is available to us compared to ~30 years ago. I probably have more FLOPS available to me in my flat than the NSA did then.

• Options
    yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    As I recall, there was an official GameBoy port of Doom.

EDIT: Maybe it wasn't official after all, but it looks like somebody did it.

yurnamehere on
  • Options
    Johnny17Johnny17 Registered User regular
    Every Doom port aside from PC was like a monkey paw: It looked good at first glance but came with a horrible misfortune.

• Options
    palidine40palidine40 Registered User regular
    A "year"? Is gabe unawares of the roms mentioned many a time?

• Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    Isn't this the port that got kneecapped because John Carmack was upset that they managed to make it actually run better than the PC version?

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Isn't this the port that got kneecapped because John Carmack was upset that they managed to make it actually run better than the PC version?

That sounds un-Carmackian enough that I'd be interested in seeing a citation.

• Options
    Johnny17Johnny17 Registered User regular
    He wanted the Saturn version of Quake to be rendered in software because he didn't like how the polygons were rendered.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    According to the Doom wiki:
    The Saturn version was widely noted for being a rushed port with a low frame rate and lacked several features from the PlayStation version. Originally, a custom engine was originally programmed for the game, which would have run at an even better frame rate than the PlayStation version. However, John Carmack disallowed the use of this engine, feeling that it degraded the game's visuals and especially textures too much (something he later admitted was a bad decision), resulting in the final game using an improved version of the 32X edition's renderer.

That's a bit different to me. First, it's not saying it would have run better than the PC version, just better than the PS version. Second, the port was rushed, which doesn't produce good software no matter what. Third, it sounds like he didn't like the sacrifices it made in visuals to achieve the higher frame rate. (I also found a twitter quote from Carmack saying "I hated affine texture swim and integral quad verts, but in hindsight, I probably should have let experiment.") Finally, "we're going to use a custom engine instead of the standard one" is something that can go sideways quite quickly. Especially if the port was being rushed anyway. It could have well gone much worse, or never come out at all.

Definitely a different narrative than "John Carmack's ego wouldn't let someone else create something better than he could." Guy is usually incredibly helpful and seems to just want things to be as good as possible. He's often going to bat for programmers and users against what the corporation says. He's the one guy at Faceboculus that will actually drop the bullshit and say things that makes the suits unhappy.

• Options
    blueArcanablueArcana Registered User regular
    Now I'm wondering if anyone ever got Doom running on way old consoles like the NES

It was on SNES

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    blueArcana wrote: »

It was on SNES

and now TI-83
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nduMTX86Zl0&t=545s

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    I think someone got it running on their fridge. Literally.

We also kind of underestimate how much more processing power is available to us compared to ~30 years ago. I probably have more FLOPS available to me in my flat than the NSA did then.

you likely have it in your pocket, nevermind your flat. The ISS still substantially runs on i386 chips.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    It's not port really, but this seems an appropriate place for Quake on an oscilloscope:
    edit: I know that screenshot doesn't wow, it really looks much cooler in motion.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMli33ornEU

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    It (the oscilloscope Quake) is not great, but it looks more playable than some virtual boy games, and they had the benefit of 3D depth of field effects.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    I loved SNES doom.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    SilkBotSilkBot Registered User regular
    I can play PC DOOM on the couch, too. With a wireless controller. In full screen.

I mean, heck, it's DOOM. You can grab a 15 year old laptop, connect an HDMI cable to your TV and hook up a bluetooth controller; if Steam is installed you press the Home Button and you're in a console UI. You don't even need a dedicated PC under the TV for old games like this.