As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy]: My Way!

19495969798100»

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    It seems weird to spoiler a 25 year old game, but I'm gonna because I've never seen this before.

FFVI Shadow's past
    w57aga3nwat3.jpg

Amano artwork of Clyde Arrowny. I don't know what I expected under Shadow's mask, but it wasn't this

I remember my mind being blown when I heard about the 1/64(?) chance of getting the flashback about Relm by having him sleep at the inn.
    (The Relm pants are a nice touch.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    They tweaked FF6 in all the right ways. I just wish you could use the old pixel font.
    The game also needs a vsync option.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Apparently there's an item duping bug involving Gau's leap. Not sure completely how it works yet, but it's around.

I'm glad people are tearing this one open too. Probably going to tell Steam not to keep it up to date.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Good timing, new thread right before Stranger of Paradise comes out.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    SO.... i beat FF8 with a hand tied behind my back.
    I only unsealed Magic, Draw, GF and Save in Ultimecia's castle. i was like "Eh, maybe i can make it" and tried to beat her. First try didn't go great but i figured casting Shell would solve my problem..... i did.

Choked up a bit at the end so this is officially the earliest numbered FF to make me choke up, but not the first one to make me cry.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    also i think the only GF I used more than once was Cerberus. And the only reason i used some of the GFs some of the time is that, for some reason, GF damage doesn't wake up monsters?

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I think after my first playthrough the only summon I ever actually summoned was doomtrain, and that was just because it also inflicted meltdown. I never needed double/triple because I could use aura on squall or zell and kill basically anything.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    They tweaked FF6 in all the right ways. I just wish you could use the old pixel font.
    The game also needs a vsync option.

You can.

I think modding the fonts is as easy as replacing the file. Font mods are plentiful for it.

Unless... you are playing on mobile. If so sorry.

• Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Delzhand wrote: »
    It seems weird to spoiler a 25 year old game, but I'm gonna because I've never seen this before.

FFVI Shadow's past
    w57aga3nwat3.jpg

Amano artwork of Clyde Arrowny. I don't know what I expected under Shadow's mask, but it wasn't this

I remember my mind being blown when I heard about the 1/64(?) chance of getting the flashback about Relm by having him sleep at the inn.
    (The Relm pants are a nice touch.)

Supposedly there was going to be some story for after all the dreams to kind of close that whole past thing out. But it never made it into the final game.

They certainly made those dreams creepy too with the sounds and shit. When you are expecting normal inn times then suddenly the wierd noises pop out of nowhere it is very jarring.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    also i think the only GF I used more than once was Cerberus. And the only reason i used some of the GFs some of the time is that, for some reason, GF damage doesn't wake up monsters?

The way GFs work in FF8 is sort of a prototype of FFX (it's a pretty obvious thing when you look at how many GFs you actually fight against in order to get) so they do have some utility. Namely, their health will soak damage while you're summoning them, but they still only do one attack and it kinda makes that huge wait time totally pointless because you can deal waaaaay more damage with other attacks in the same timeframe so they end up just being really inefficient wastes of time in battle. And summoning a GF was more enjoyable back when the animation sequence itself was something interesting, but they're obviously no big deal these days. You could get them to summon faster by increasing your affinity with them, but that required either using a GF item or summoning them in battle; just having them equipped in battle would increase affinity a little bit, but not much. So in order to save time using them, you had to waste a lot of time using them.

And just to try and make them feel more useful, they all also have that "Boost" ability so you can pump up their damage with button mashing but holy crap is it tedious for so little benefit.

But they definitely should've worked like they do in FFX: take the whole team out of the way and fight on their own. That would've provided an actually useful mechanic in being able to use the summons to soak damage reliably without necessarily dropping the damage rate to a total crawl.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Got a coveted Pink Tail in my FFIV playthrough, only the 3rd battle into farming! So that's fun.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Man, people are apparently finding shitloads of gamebreaking bugs in FF6:PR, a lot that brick that save, including one where you just walk out of a city in the World of Ruin and oops, you're now randomly back in the World of Balance and now totally softlocked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Nphk5ZCHQ

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Man, people are apparently finding shitloads of gamebreaking bugs in FF6:PR, a lot that brick that save, including one where you just walk out of a city in the World of Ruin and oops, you're now randomly back in the World of Balance and now totally softlocked.

wtf

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

The world was saved!

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Any battle with enemies that run away can also apparently softlock the game if that was the last enemy.

A lot of bosses are also missing an immunity for Death attacks too, so things like the snail boss that goes into its shell in Daryl's Tomb? You can insta kill the shell, and then the head withdraws and just... never comes back because resummoning it is part of the shell's script. Also, side note, the town where you recruit Setzer in WoR? Sells a weapon that inflicts Death 25% of the time. Whoopsie doodle.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    FFVI is the gift that keeps on giving.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    To be fair, being buggy technically makes it a loyal port.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    That is awesome, but now it's making me leery of picking it up, at least until any bugs that nuke your save are resolved.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    cj iwakura wrote: »

The world was saved!
    If you prepare in advance before leaving WoB, you can make a one-time round trip back to the WoR:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTNbigGc7Vg
    After that, the Blackjack is left on the North continent, and if you try again you're stuck on the Southern one. So far as we know right now, you only get one loop.

This does mean it's technically possible to take the Gold Hairpin from Lone Wolf and still get all dances on Mog.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Hrrm. Maybe I should wait a while before playing FF6 again.

• Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular

Being in fear of FF-6 randomly softlocking or even throwing away safe data is part of it's heritage.
    But now it's not "don't use Sketch" anymore, but ..euhmm... a) don't leave towns in WoR, and b) don't let enemies escape.... hmmm

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Good thing Elden Ring is occupying my time. Hopefully gives them time to fix these issues.

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    Update 1.0.3 released today.
    We have fixed the following issues.
    We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused by these issues.
    • Fixed an issue where equipment that is equipped by a specific member who is not in the party can be temporarily equipped by another character, such as Gau with his skill "leap"
    • We worked on fixing this issue with high priority as the game may have issues loading any saved data that experienced this issue. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused by this issue.
    • An issue where the game may not show some event scenes properly under certain circumstance.
    • We are still investigating this issue and will take action.
    • A rare issue where battle progression gets blocked under certain circumstance.
    • We are still investigating this issue and will take action.
    • Fixed an issue where actions during Auto-Battle become inappropriate right after a specific piece of equipment is changed.
    • Fixed an issue where the game sometimes does not proceed correctly after loading a Quick Save data that was saved under specific circumstances.
    • A rare issue where some monsters at the Coliseum might drop items they were not supposed to.

Other minor issues have been fixed as well.
    More updates are planned moving forward.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I wish they'd fix the bug where Auto doesn't work for Gau

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Does evasion work in the PR?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    It does, as does blind.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    So you can use Prayer Beads and the Zephyr Cape as intended, and make Shadow really hard to hit physically.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    As far as I understand it, the coliseum bug seemed to have been queuing up the rewards for the wrong fight sometimes, if you fought an enemy that had multiple wagers that would include a fight with them. For instance, my brother told me about a timie when he was fighting a goliath for the Murasame sword. But he dropped the Enhancer instead. That enemy is also fought in the wager that should give you the Enhancer, so it might have been that they queued up the wrong "version" of a fight with the goliath.

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    As far as I understand it, the coliseum bug seemed to have been queuing up the rewards for the wrong fight sometimes, if you fought an enemy that had multiple wagers that would include a fight with them. For instance, my brother told me about a timie when he was fighting a goliath for the Murasame sword. But he dropped the Enhancer instead. That enemy is also fought in the wager that should give you the Enhancer, so it might have been that they queued up the wrong "version" of a fight with the goliath.

Yeah, I got a Flame Shield instead of a Genji Shield after betting a Thunder Shield. What was really weird though is that I'm sure it properly displayed "Genji Shield" on the menu where you select your character. It just kinda dropped the wrong thing at the end. Glad to see that bug fixed; I noticed a number of strange things in the game, but that's the only one I encountered that was really negative in any way.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    New thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/243846/final-fantasy-new-paradise-3-15-22/p1?new=1

I gotta overhaul the OP in a bit. New game coming out probably merits a fresh 100 pages though.

This discussion has been closed.