As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Slay the Spire] Silently Watching the Defective Ironclad Heart.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    I'll continue to be the lone guy cheering on Vault of the Void as the Slay the Spire alternative, I guess. :D

Oh, i still think Vault is great, and i'm still playing it/helping with the internal test. Not a ton right now, but i do some. It's v. good. Sometimes i feel like it's missing some essential spark that StS has (Possibly just a product of how deterministic it is?), but compared to the crud that is Rougebook, or the interesting-but-deeply-flawed Monster Train, Vault is a worthy successor and evolution of the former. It recently had a big patch that added a ton of challenges to play, which are very cool. There's other bits and bobs being worked on, and vague, vague rumblings of character 5 on the way.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Vaults main problem for me is it seems much more intellectually demanding than StS. Which is fine if I'm up for it, but I've also put many casual hours into StS...

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's a very fair read and honestly what stops me sometimes. It's much more of a commitment in the way that even A20 spire isnt. Some of that's to do with gameflow i think - Vault's diffuclty curve still feels a bit wacky too me where it's very hard early, and tends to ease off later - while StS can be a bit erratic early, but only really gets thinky and hard in late A2/A3

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I wish I didn't have to do quite so much math later in sts, planning out a vulnerability, some attacks to trigger shuriken for a strength buff, vs a different card order with a big carnage for instance.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I can't win consistently in A15+. I feel like every one of my wins is either luck of the draw or getting some busted card/relic combos going early on. I'm certainly not the type who can fire up a run and always make it work. At higher Ascension levels, the game requires a lot more of a narrow approach to getting through the first act and I've proven time and again not to be able to adjust to it.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I’m the opposite problem, I can do act 1 just fine but act 2 or 3 murder me unless I am en route to a broken-ass heart kill

MNC Dover wrote: »
    I can't win consistently in A15+. I feel like every one of my wins is either luck of the draw or getting some busted card/relic combos going early on. I'm certainly not the type who can fire up a run and always make it work. At higher Ascension levels, the game requires a lot more of a narrow approach to getting through the first act and I've proven time and again not to be able to adjust to it.

It is also the case that some higher Ascension levels you can just get screwed over and lose despite making the right decisions. A1, even A10, there's a pretty good chance it's skill/experience that's holding someone back, but sometimes luck is against you in higher Ascensions.

With that said, the top StS streamers can still get pretty obscene winrates on A20. So most of the time, still, luck is not the reason someone loses :D

Steam profile
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Vaults main problem for me is it seems much more intellectually demanding than StS. Which is fine if I'm up for it, but I've also put many casual hours into StS...

Just play Tempest, which is everything I wished Ironclad was in terms of "play big card, go thwock," but neatly streamlined.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    I was really hoping that Tainted Grail would scratch the StS itch. It looked like StS for Path of Exile fans and I was so into that. Then the meta progression was slow to the point of absurdity, runs felt like they took a half hour longer than they should have, and most runs felt dominated by the same mechanics / combos. At least the first few runs were fun, and it was free on game pass.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I still play a ton of Monster Train; I love the DLC additions to the core game. I will say it's a lot easier at high level than STS at high level

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Near the end of act 1 in my first Silent playthrough I was low on health and thought I was screwed, but somehow managed to get all the way through act 3, though I never really liked my deck.

I'm on to Defect now and I got an early Electrodynamics and some ok block, and it's more complicated but I'm digging it more than the Silent. It feels a lot better to do nothing but block which would happen on the other characters, but get the passive lightning damage here.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
    Septus wrote: »
    Near the end of act 1 in my first Silent playthrough I was low on health and thought I was screwed, but somehow managed to get all the way through act 3, though I never really liked my deck.

I'm on to Defect now and I got an early Electrodynamics and some ok block, and it's more complicated but I'm digging it more than the Silent. It feels a lot better to do nothing but block which would happen on the other characters, but get the passive lightning damage here.

One fun (or annoying) thing about StS is you'll be unlocking more cards and relics which can open up new avenues to play each of the 4 characters.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Septus wrote: »

you're gonna wanna get all the unlocks on everyone before you settle on someone to try to master.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    A20H with Silent. That's 2/4 done, Ironclad and Defect left to go.

I missed Kunai by being too poor in the shop it appeared in, so Burst+ with Blur was MVP for surviving the heart.

ALSO: shout-out to Calling Bell for a nice set of useful relics.

kl28xo7ogrkb.png

Tynnan on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh nice, looks like Downfall is getting it’s own Steam store page.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1865780/Downfall__A_Slay_the_Spire_Fan_Expansion/

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Thought the thread might find this interesting but someone found an unwinnable seed. No matter what you do, how you replay the seed, there is no way to win. https://oohbleh.github.io/losing-seed/

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • manjimanji Registered User regular
    new update has broken controller config on the PC. I used the PS4 for STS config so I could page through cards rather than using a cursor. using the official config is back to cursor, disabling steam input gets me something half way there, but half the buttons are in the wrong place. giving serious though to rolling it back to v2.2

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I've actually never been able to get the gamepad to work for Slay the Spire. Like, all the button prompts are normal, but when I press them, it doesn't do what it says.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    manji wrote: »
    new update has broken controller config on the PC. I used the PS4 for STS config so I could page through cards rather than using a cursor. using the official config is back to cursor, disabling steam input gets me something half way there, but half the buttons are in the wrong place. giving serious though to rolling it back to v2.2

The Steam deck stuff and some language additions are the only changes, so no harm rolling back if you aren't using them.

Been playing on the iPhone for a while now, trying to get all the characters to ascension 20. Way more losses than wins and it’s gotten frustrating.

So yesterday I said screw it, I wanna be an unstoppable killing machine. I did a custom challenge where I drafted my starting deck and enemies dropped relics instead of cards.

2am0elwu3obc.png
    So many relics!

It felt good to be the destroyer of worlds for a change. A nice palette cleanser before going back to being everyone’s whipping boy.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Slay the Spire teaches us that building a claws deck as the Defect is a fool's errand.

What this seed asks is, what if it wasn't? What if the game handed you all the pieces you need to make a ludicrously strong claws deck by midway through Act 2? A deck SO overpowered that it allowed you to steamroll Act 4 and defeat the heart for the very first time? What then??

Checkmate, atheists

2kujc0lt72jo.jpg

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    I <3 Claw decks. Sadly, they almost never work out, but when they do...

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Old and busted: Claw deck

New hotness: Pressure Points deck

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    I've tried to make claws work a few times, and I think I made it to act 2 0 times.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    The funniest thing about that run was that I intentionally took the Sacred Bark (doubles effect of potions) at the end of Act 2 despite already having the Sozu (can't collect potions). The other two choices were Snecko Eye or Velvet Choker, either of which would have fully wrecked the 0-cost Claws recursion engine. Selecting a relic that did nothing was the closest thing I had to a good option

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    shalmelo wrote: »
    The funniest thing about that run was that I intentionally took the Sacred Bark (doubles effect of potions) at the end of Act 2 despite already having the Sozu (can't collect potions). The other two choices were Snecko Eye or Velvet Choker, either of which would have fully wrecked the 0-cost Claws recursion engine. Selecting a relic that did nothing was the closest thing I had to a good option

Can't you just skip the relic? I mean, having the Sacred Bark is fine, and might find a niche use if you get the N'Loth event in Act 2.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Claw and Ice is my favorite Defect build. It's not as reliable as a shiv deck just because there's only one Claw card, but it's still fun.

Pressure points isn't my favorite, but if I get it early I 100% slam that card and hope for more.

Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Claw and Ice is my favorite Defect build. It's not as reliable as a shiv deck just because there's only one Claw card, but it's still fun.

Pressure points isn't my favorite, but if I get it early I 100% slam that card and hope for more.

Pressure Points is my favorite way to throw a run lol

Steam profile
    edited March 2022
    Hah, I just found a way to deadlock the game.

Slaver elite fight after picking pyramid. Kill all but the middle one, then be in Calm with Like Water+ up. Eventually your hand will fill with Wounds and you won't be able to draw. But because of Like Water the slaver literally can't hurt you.

Avoided this only because I didn't have pyramid, so I was able to keep cycling til I found the attacks.

Phoenix-D on
    That shouldn't deadlock - the middle one keeps scaling, dosent it? The front one, maybe

edited March 2022
    That shouldn't deadlock - the middle one keeps scaling, dosent it? The front one, maybe

He doesn't start doing that til A18.

Phoenix-D on
    Look, I've only played 2k+ gotta of the game on a20 I forget what it's like to not play on that.

... Play on a20, it's good for the soul

Look, I've only played 2k+ gotta of the game on a20 I forget what it's like to not play on that.

I don't go up A levels until I heart kill and I play mostly dailies now anyway.

Phoenix-D wrote: »

I don't go up A levels until I heart kill and I play mostly dailies now anyway.

you go up Ascensions when you clear act 3's boss, doesn't have to be heart, unless you're manually not advancing your level

I think she’s saying that she intentionally remains at an ascension level until she has a heart kill on it, yeah

look nobody taught me how to read, ok

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Oh yeah, Downfall v4.0's out. The Steam link again.

So far I'm *really* digging The Hermit.

41bdtm492hli.jpg

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    Alright, so this is my first mod and holy crap it's cool. Playing as the Slime Boss is a trip. It does really feel like a lot of time and effort was put into this mod to emulate playing as the bad guys.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Played with the Hermit a whole bunch, back when it was its own mod and not part of something bigger. Indeed an excellent character.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    Not Slay the Spire per se, but I started playing Tainted Grail on game pass and it’s a pretty good StS-like (is that a genre now?).

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/tainted-grail-conquest

82 on metacritic so definitely not terrible.

I’ve just been moving through the early levels unlocking new classes. Finally got to bloodmage and although I was a little iffy on spending my own hp to summon things (especially after playing summoner and getting rolled early, doing the same thing but having to spend health on top sounded like a bad idea). However, bloodmage automatically triggers and promotes your summons every turn, as opposed to summoner where those are each separate cards, so it’s actually super powerful. Then early on I grabbed a perk that causes offered hp to heal instead of hurt if you’re below 25% and suddenly my summons are healing me as well (albeit only to like 30-35% but I have plenty of golems that redirect incoming damage). On top of that, I got a legendary rune that gives flat +100% damage (after leveling it up) and another perk for +100% damage for my summons for the first four turns of every combat so stuff is just melting given how fast I can summon things when you don’t care about the health cost.

Just killed the third boss before I had to go to bed, so still early, but looking around I didn’t see anyone else talking about this and just wondering if anyone here had tried it out. Seems pretty fun so far!

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822