As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] Making a wishlist, checking it twice

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    Just wanted to say thanks for this thread for distracting me from the fucked up world right now. You guys are the bestest, especially the folks in Chat who let me complain about life and shit, and who in turn share their pain. Shit is FUCKING HARD right now, I appreciate your softness.

Also, I want a Steam Deck.

@DaringDirk followed up on this by throwing a completely unprovoked gift of thread darling Vampire Survivors at me!

n6g8wai9cb2a.jpg

Thanks so much dude, and the feeling is entirely mutual :heart:

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    I refuse. because my helm in elden ring is a kick ass set of horns.

I have an aesthetic and you will not remove it from me.
    I've pretty happy with the look I've ended up with, where I'm a big pile of cloak with the top of a helmet poking out of it.
    z5bmq0s6hj2o.jpg

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    3h1k3ofmdq5c.jpg

Dover 9000 is a great pun! Did you get the other gift as well? Just making sure.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Hai! I have been absent because ELDEN RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING.

Game has consumed all free time. I hope you're enjoying your games and I hope the Steam Deck is good.

Yeahhhhh... Elden Ring has consumed me too.

Try fingers.

...but hole??

Regret ahead

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    3h1k3ofmdq5c.jpg

Dover 9000 is a great pun! Did you get the other gift as well? Just making sure.

Yes, thanks.
    8jhz9fsh4qv2.png

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    another really good humble bundle is up
    epmdwxnqx0gk.jpg

tier 2 is w/o Scarlet Nexus and Bloodstained. Elden Ring dominates my stuff and will for a while, so I can't justify hopping on it, but fyi!

Tacoma is a good walking/floating sim and around 4 hrs. Ignore the achievements.

Scarlet Nexus and Bloodstained are just cherries; all of these games are solid.

I own about half the bundle but I may grab it for *reasons*

cB557 wrote: »

I've pretty happy with the look I've ended up with, where I'm a big pile of cloak with the top of a helmet poking out of it.
    z5bmq0s6hj2o.jpg

Big Hat Scarf Logan

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

z5bmq0s6hj2o.jpg

Now this is my kind of fashion statement

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Okay, NOW the thread is safe.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    shdwcaster wrote: »
    an_alt wrote: »
    For non-curling related content, @shdwcaster got me excited about Saint's Row 2 which is something I've meant to get around to playing for years. I started the series with SR3 and absolutely loved the completely over the top main plot, the ridiculous mini-games, the exceptionally wide character customization, and the general acceptance that SR3 was a video game and it was meant to be stupid fun. It was stupidly fun.

I had wondered about some of the side characters, who they were and why we should care about them. There certainly was a backstory with this being the third game in the series. From what I heard, the first game was a bad GTA clone and not worth playing. The second game, while janky, was apparently a dark and wildly irreverent take on the modern gangster theme. I wouldn't know because it crashes on me every twenty minutes. I did install the Gentlemen of the Row mod and it doesn't seem to help. So good on you @shdwcaster and I'm glad you enjoyed a game I apparently won't be able to play.

Happy to help? I think? For whatever it's worth, SR2 crashed pretty regularly for me too. Not every 20 minutes, but usually around the 1.5 - 2 hour mark. I finally gave up and chalked it up to "my computer says it's time for me to go to bed now." The one thing I really miss from SR1 in the later games is the talk radio station. The writing and execution there was perfect. Two steps past reality, but almost, just barely, past what you might hear on an AM station when you're driving home at 2 in the morning.

Playing through SR3 again now (like you, my entry point into the series) and the main takeaway I got from playing SR1 and SR2 first now is that some of the side characters, especially Gat, hit harder. Gat's death in the opening act feels different when you know him as the bloodthirsty, unstoppable killing machine who's had your back as you've battled your way to the top of the Stillwater hierarchy, twice. SR2 was also huge, with these massive underground areas (shopping mall, caverns, your base) that the later games are missing.

I love SR3's over the top style though, plus the major quality of life improvements that it brought into the series.

SR3 was mine blowing when it came out. (Also my entry to the series.) Playing through the remaster, I e more of ours flaws, and I feel like it over stays. Like holy crap, just wrap it up. How many new villains can we keep introducing? The narrative is disjointed since the logical flow of the story is parsed out over open world missions. Still stupid fun to play.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    SR3 was mine blowing when it came out. (Also my entry to the series.) Playing through the remaster, I e more of ours flaws, and I feel like it over stays. Like holy crap, just wrap it up. How many new villains can we keep introducing? The narrative is disjointed since the logical flow of the story is parsed out over open world missions. Still stupid fun to play.

Fair point about the narrative flow, but SR1 & SR2 do the same thing. Actually SR3 and onward at least slightly streamline the narrative by making all the missions start from your phone/PDA (even if you have to then make your way to the actual starting point). The prior games put the mission starts on your map just like any other activity, and you have to drive yourself there to even start the next mission in the series.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Massive thank you to @DaringDirk for Vampire Survivors! I was having a god awful day and it really turned it around seeing the email!

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Hai! I have been absent because ELDEN RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING.

Game has consumed all free time. I hope you're enjoying your games and I hope the Steam Deck is good.

Same. I think when I finally get my Steam Deck it'll just be my Portable Elden Ring Device.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    First game I am officially using the deck for is Tales of Zestria (would do Berseria but it says unsupported, though so was Strive so who knows, might try it when I get an SD card)

Plays great and seems to be looking at 5-6 hours of battery. Its not an intensive game obviously, but that's still really good. Oh and the sleep mode seems to work flawlessly, takes like 2 seconds to go to sleep and wakes up in about 2 seconds as well, without any effect on the game at all.

Kai_San on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

Is it? Is it really? Blink twice if @MNC Dover is watching.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    edited March 2022
    I mean, he said he'd gift the author of specific post number, and I think we're well past that now, so....

Of course, that didn't stop other people from gifting me, like @RoyceSraphim

edit: Wait, I think someone is pretending to be Royce, unless his Steam name has been changed recently.....

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

Kai_San wrote: »
    First game I am officially using the deck for is Tales of Zestria (would do Berseria but it says unsupported, though so was Strive so who knows, might try it when I get an SD card)

Plays great and seems to be looking at 5-6 hours of battery. Its not an intensive game obviously, but that's still really good. Oh and the sleep mode seems to work flawlessly, takes like 2 seconds to go to sleep and wakes up in about 2 seconds as well, without any effect on the game at all.

Do you own Persona 4? I just wanna know what happens.

steam_sig.png

Betsuni wrote: »

Is it? Is it really? Blink twice if "MNC Dover" is watching.

No, you're all safe for now. The danger post was hinted at in my Infernax post in the last thread. I mean, you all read my pretty, well-thought out post about that wonderful game, right?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page

No, you're all safe for now. The danger post was hinted at in my Infernax post in the last thread. I mean, you all read my pretty, well-thought out post about that wonderful game, right?

Definitely read every word....

>.>

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    As with any PC, a lot is going to come down to just what you ask it to do. Be realistic and it's mighty impressive. Ask it to do 4K/60fps at ultra settings on a new tentpole game and you're gonna have a bad time.

That said, it was seen even months ago running in desktop mode at 4K, happily multitasking several different applications.

wunderbar wrote: »
    yep, the Steam Deck was always going to be a device of understanding it's capabilities and setting expectations. Anyone understanding that it's a 720p/30 medium gaming solution is going to be happy with it. Anyone expecting it to have the power of a $1200 gaming laptop is going to be disappointed.

The biggest selling point really is the price. The other Handheld PC type things in that space are all $1000+ while the Deck is $400.

And Valve understood the compromises needed better. Most of those handheld PC's have 1080p screens and iris graphics that aren't as powerful as what you get on the deck. Makes them good for indie/emulation work but less good for playing current PC games. Targeting 720p was the best thing Valve could have done.

Yeah, some people still seem to turn their noses up at the 720p resolution, but jumping to 1080p at that screen size is such a negligible gain for a sizeable hit to potential performance.

And performance-wise, the Deck is at worst equalling those other (vastly more expensive) handheld PCs, and at best outpacing them by such a margin it's just ridiculous.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

That part screams "fake demo" to me considering that during the review period the device couldn't properly output at 1080p to an external monitor without crashing. Doesn't mean it won't in the future, but it outright wasn't even able to output 1080p at all until last week.

Seems unlikely considering the source (Linus Tech Tips original hands-on), but they did have one set aside especially at that point and weren't demoing that on the ones being shown in handheld. But Linus did plug his own monitor into it and it worked.

We'll see in due course. It wasn't being tasked with anything super-demanding at that point, anyway.

But yeah, the software side has been seen to be rather rough and ready to say the least. Still not convinced the two-month delay wasn't at least partially down to that.

This was from the last thread, but that one monitor could do 4K and one was crashing at 1080p absolutely screams “legit” to me. Weird, inconsistent, buggy hardware support is the very heart and soul of the desktop Linux experience.

Do you own Persona 4? I just wanna know what happens.

I don't no.

I think almost all the games in unsupported have some kind of DRM or Anti Cheat that can't load in proton yet, so they would likely do the same thing they would do if those applications don't load and fail. I will likely try Berseria in the near future though to find out. Zestria takes up most of my space though :(

I actually did, yes. And you also said we'd get gifted if we mentioned it or tried to warn people.

The 17th post in this thread was you, so I figured we were safe.

steam_sig.png

edited March 2022

I actually did, yes. And you also said we'd get gifted if we mentioned it or tried to warn people.

The 17th post in this thread was you, so I figured we were safe.

I was the 18th post (the OP counts as the first post). But yeah, once the target was locked, everyone was safe. Although you skirted the line with a comment in the last thread. :)

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    So been a while since I took something off the backlog, but I played Apeture Desk Job and that was nice little game even without the Deck. Back to doing Mark of The Ninja Remastered every couple days. If I get my backlog down to 100 I'm getting myself something off my list. I'm sitting at 128 right now, so that will be a while unless I motivate myself. I'd probably move faster if I could get something better than my 1070 to play the AAA stuff maxed out, because I'm not playing Witchers and Tomb Raiders and such at mid or low settings like some peasant. I got this shiny LG 144hz monitor before everything went to hell and damn it I'm going to use it properly.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
    How are all you people getting Decks so fast

steam_sig.png

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Desk Job is like the Lab in that it makes me bummed that a franchise like Portal has been reduced to unrelated tech demos for whatever hardware Valve is promoting.

That said
    CAVE JOHNSON LIVES!!!

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Re: Desk Job,
    It's funny how Cave Johnson's giant metal head was in the background in Hand Lab for the Index, but they never explained what it was or would talk about it.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch

Ordered it within 5 minutes of it going up, and they were sent on Monday. Apparently it was easier to get the 64g version it sounds like, that is what I ordered. A lot of people who did the 512g for instance didn't make the first set of emails even if they are set for Q1 2022.

I think Kai_San is the only person here who has a Deck of their own in-hand so far; anyone else please correct me if I'm wrong!

Also, Aperture Desk Job is perfectly playable on a normal PC. It requires a controller though.

übergeek wrote: »
    So been a while since I took something off the backlog, but I played Apeture Desk Job and that was nice little game even without the Deck. Back to doing Mark of The Ninja Remastered every couple days. If I get my backlog down to 100 I'm getting myself something off my list. I'm sitting at 128 right now, so that will be a while unless I motivate myself. I'd probably move faster if I could get something better than my 1070 to play the AAA stuff maxed out, because I'm not playing Witchers and Tomb Raiders and such at mid or low settings like some peasant. I got this shiny LG 144hz monitor before everything went to hell and damn it I'm going to use it properly.

If Witchers and Tomb Raiders are struggling with a 1070, there's something wrong with your 1070.

So I saw some guy on reddit buy like 700 bucks in steam cards at a slight discount to use to pay for his steam deck. Is this advisable?

steam_sig.png

Ordered it within 5 minutes of it going up, and they were sent on Monday. Apparently it was easier to get the 64g version it sounds like, that is what I ordered. A lot of people who did the 512g for instance didn't make the first set of emails even if they are set for Q1 2022.

People always seem to want a bigger deck.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    So I saw some guy on reddit buy like 700 bucks in steam cards at a slight discount to use to pay for his steam deck. Is this advisable?

Does he pay sales tax on the cards and sales tax again on the Steam Deck?

If Witchers and Tomb Raiders are struggling with a 1070, there's something wrong with your 1070.

Sure but those games also aren't running at 144 fps at high settings on a 1070 either, which is what it sounds like ubergeek wants.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~

People always seem to want a bigger deck.

It ain't the size of your deck, it's what you do with it.

>.>
    <.<

...so I'm told.

Does he pay sales tax on the cards and sales tax again on the Steam Deck?

At least in the US in any state I've been in, gift cards are not taxed since you're just basically trading currency, not buying something tangible.

So yes, if you can get the steam cards at a discount, it's a valid play.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular

Oh they're playable, but I want everything cranked to 11.

camo_sig.png
  • IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    @DaringDirk gifted me Vampire Survivors as well. Which seems to be all the rage right now. Thanks a lot Dirk. <3<3

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

>.>

I will admit that I only skimmed hour post since I have a limited amount of free time these days. Basically only 1 or 2 hour breaks from a puppy. This thread is too big for me to keep up. If I read every word the thread will be closed.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7

>.>

I will admit that I only skimmed hour post since I have a limited amount of free time these days. Basically only 1 or 2 hour breaks from a puppy. This thread is too big for me to keep up. If I read every word the thread will be closed.

Puppy pix plz!

This discussion has been closed.