As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy] 16 Arrives June 22nd!

silence1186silence1186 Character shields down!As a wingmanRegistered User regular
edited April 2023 in Games and Technology
https://youtu.be/5hs1xQRkzsw

The next mainline installment. Coming June 22nd, 2023

This is the thread for talking about Square Enix's flagship series, Final Fantasy, originally released in 1987.

A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE

MAIN SERIES

They've made fifteen main series games and over fifty spin off titles. Here's what the fans says about them.
I love Final Fantasy because you have to start somewhere.
I love Final Fantasy II because I like hitting myself for stat ups.
I love Final Fantasy III because it allowed me to stop being a hippy and get a job for the first time.
I love Final Fantasy IV because I don't have enough versions of it yet.
I love Final Fantasy V because I can play it for charity.
I hate Final Fantasy VI because I'm a soulless monster without any redeeming qualities.
I love Final Fantasy VII because it's getting remade, naturally.
I love Final Fantasy VIII because I'm a Triple Triad cardshark. There was a fun minigame about saving the world included too.
I love Final Fantasy IX because "Steiner, please, look behind you!"
I love Final Fantasy X because blitzball is rad.
I love Final Fantasy XI because it kept Square Enix in business.
I love Final Fantasy XII because I can finally play the IZJS!.
I love Final Fantasy XIII because I can't get enough Lightning.
I love Final Fantasy XIV because Endwalker is great?
I love Final Fantasy XV because it continues to exist. SQEX thanks you for beta testing the game for them.
I love Final Fantasy XVI because it's Devil May Cry.

SPIN OFFS

Every time profits are down SE makes some more FF games. There are a lot of them, too many to list them all so I'll just continue the theme with the more popular ones.
I love Final Fantasy Tactics because I love grid based movement.
I hate Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles because I have no friends.
I I love Mystic Quest because HP should be measured with tally marks. Also because the music slaps. - Fry
I love Final Fantasy X-2 because it really is the ultimate expression of both ATB and the Job system. Also I understand math so Sphere Breaker ain't shit.
I love Dissidia because it's included in its entirety in its sequel.
I love FF XIII-2 because monsters are great at parties.
I love Crisis Core because Zack is an unbeatable hero.
I love Theatrhythm because Square Enix has the best music.
I love Final Fantasy Tactics Advance because just one more turn.
I love Dissidia Duodecim 012 Final Fantasy because you can settle which Final Fantasy is best for all time with your fists.
I love Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 because more of the same is exactly what you need when the same is fantastic.
I love Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Returns because it was either this or no new games at all.
I love Final Fantasy Dimensions because I love Final Fantasy V.
I hate Final Fantasy Record Keeper because it became a monster unto itself.
I love Final Fantasy Explorers because Monster Hunter is a good game, right?
I love World of Final Fantasy because I can stack pocket sized Final Fantasy monsters on my head to do battle!
I love Dissidia NT because I can finally fight my friends online with my favorite FF character!
I love DFF Opera Omnia because it's a bite sized Final Fantasy with bite sized characters!
I love Final Fantasy VII Remake because it's a fresh awesome take on an old favorite.

quote]I love Strangers of Paradise because gritty antiheroes are all the rage, right?[/quote]

WHICH VERSION IS BEST?

There's a version of almost everything for almost everything these days. However, avoid the PSX version of FF5 unless it's your only option.

THE PRESENT

The present is the Pixel Remaster series!

https://youtu.be/wOkScEsyOYQ

It's not just FF6, but everything from 1-6, inclusive.

The FF7 Remake has an interlude DLC for the PS5 featuring Yuffie! Sorry PS4 owners.

https://youtu.be/El_tG6PyHic

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin ft. Garland

https://youtu.be/N0WvpMw0Sko

THE FUTURE

FF16: June 22nd, 2023 No known info yet. Trailer up!

https://youtu.be/rLgTiqk-EC4

Final Fantasy 16 announced! The dark age with no new Final Fantasies on the horizon has ended. Look now to the new dawn!

Official site: https://na.finalfantasyxvi.com/

Final Fantasy's current MMO, Final Fantasy XIV

While it's totally kosher to talk about FF11 and FF14 here, keep in mind there is a dedicated FF14 MMO-specific thread.

Final Fantasy Mobile offerings

Final Fantasy Record Keeper's popularity grew so much that it dominated most of the discussion in the thread. As such it (and all mobile F2P Final Fantasy games) have been given their own threads.

Final Fantasy Record Keeper.

Final Fantasy Brave Exvius.

Mobius Final Fantasy. RIP

Dissidia Final Fantasy Opera Omnia.

KINGDOM HEARTS

Is vaguely related to Final Fantasy, but has its own thread here.

BRAVELY DEFAULT

Is everything you might want in a Final Fantasy, and you can talk about it here.

FF5 FOUR JOB FIESTA
Do you have what it takes to play what is quite simply the most fun and addicting alternate game mode of any RPG ever? Do you want to help out sick children by raising money for the greatest charity in the world? Do you want to watch RK sleepily make his way through Neo-Exdeath with quite a sub standard party? If this sounds even remotely interesting well then, do I have a website for you.

The deal is you get four jobs from the normal set of 20+ and you can only use skills from those four. As you gain new job sets one job is randomly assigned to you and each assigned job must be equipped at all times on at least one party member. You get the wind job, you get four of those, you get the water job, your party must be made up at least one from your water job and one from your wind job and so on. There are variations

http://fourjobfiesta.com/

What do you need to start playing?

1. A copy of FF5. PSN version is cheapest and worst. SFC version is pretty cheap but in Japanese, GBA version is best but expensive, iOS version is a lot cheaper than that but has the issues standard with playing a game on iOS (easy screencaps though!)

2. A twitter account. Yeah I hate twitter too but I made some dummy accounts just for this.

3.Then all you do is sign up at the website (with any of the optional run ideas) and you can play from whenever RK beats the game until the end of August!

Where does the charity come in you say? Well, you can either pledge money to change whatever jobs RK is assigned for his inaugural run (1 dollar=1 extra vote for a job!) or you can pledge money for doing various deeds. If you can't donate money you'll notice that you can still earn money from other people's pledges by completing their goals (usually beating the game with a certain class, beating the two optional bosses,etc.) It's just like getting sponsors for a 10k back in school! You play, everyone wins.

Credit to @xenogears of bore for cannibalizing most of his OPs.

A duck! on

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    I love Mystic Quest because HP should be measured with tally marks. Also because the music slaps.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    I love Mystic Quest because HP should be measured with tally marks. Also because the music slaps.

Yoink, danke kindly.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I don't love Final Fantasy Record Keeper anymore.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I love FFVI because I’m the joker baby.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I love War of the Visions because... wait, no I don't

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I love Final Fantasy VI because I’m a person of culture who enjoys the opera.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    I love Final Fantasy V because I love butts.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I love FFVIII because... whatever.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Whelk wrote: »
    I love Final Fantasy V because I love butts.

Love butts of licks.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I am actually worried Strangers of Paradise will be too punishing for my tastes/difficult for my skill level. I've never played a Souls game, having been counseled away from them by my friends.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I was under the impression there were difficulty options for Stranger of Paradise.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    I was under the impression there were difficulty options for Stranger of Paradise.

Yeah, Strangers of Paradise has a Story mode, Normal, and Hard mode.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Geth, the phrase “chaos” is forbidden in this thread

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Sterica. "chaos" is forbidden in this thread.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Geth, set phasers to stun

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Sterica. Setting force level to 'low'.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    Geth, the phrase “chaos” is forbidden in this thread

Hahahahahaha bravo

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    84a5nywy6mmd.png

Could you use the alarm earring to do this in the original? Because it looks damn goofy.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Lol no, that would be another visual bug.

I also saw during a stream, when terra was blinded, during the event that happens at the sealed gate in combat, her shades were like 24 pixels in front of her feet when she was kneeling during the event.

Also a colliseum match ended mid turn from a counter, and the damage number that killed them was on screen for the whole next fight.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    I'm sure something will be caused by banning a word like that, but I can't imagine what.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    apropos of nothing, who loves the chao's from sonic adventure?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    You know what game needs a VR remake? Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    I'm sure something will be caused by banning a word like that, but I can't imagine what.

Discord? Disorder?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    apropos of nothing, who loves the chao's from sonic adventure?

the plural of chao is chao.

kinda like pokemon.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure it's Pokeymans

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Pretty sure it's Pokeymans

only if you're older than 30.

• Options
    I got a new appreciation for Khaos when I played Hades.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Well.. going to have the Veldt music in my head again for another decade..

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    I just had a behemoth spontaneously die in combat. This game is such a buggy mess, I love it.

Here's what I think happened.

Shadow has Genji Glove with Thief's Knife and Assassin's Dagger (instant KO effect). The battle is with two misfits (undead, in the original if you KO them they revive with full health) and a behemoth. Shadow attacks the misfit. The first hit deals damage, the second hit deals damage and shows the X for the instant KO effect. The misfit dies then... doesn't revive. Then after a brief pause (during which no other actions occurred), the behemoth, who had nearly health, disintegrates. I think Shadow's first attack killed the misfit, and since the Behemoth was the only other enemy, the second attack was moved to the behemoth? Or at least its effect was? The X definitely appeared over the misfit.

Also, I can't tell if this is a bug or not, but Shadow threw an invisibility scroll in the previous fight, and it missed.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Now I wonder if the genji glove or enemy being undead are relevant at all. If I deal enough damage with the Assassin's Dagger to kill an enemy and then instant KO happens, does it just jump to whoever is left?

Delzhand on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Well.. going to have the Veldt music in my head again for another decade..

Similarly, I often find myself tapping the map music from the prehistoric era in Chrono Trigger.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLQ9kgXK5OI

Well, that or the intro to Poor Tom by Led Zeppelin.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    If anyone was still looking to purchase FFVI its on sale on greenmangaming for ~12.23 USD (32% off)
    https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/final-fantasy-vi-pc/

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Did they fix those FF6 bugs?

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    FF6 px Remaster patch 1.0.4 was released today:
    We have fixed the following issues.
    We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused by these issues.
    • Fixed a rare issue where battle progression gets blocked under certain circumstances.
    • Continued from the previous update, we have fixed this issue.
    • An issue where the game may not show event scenes properly or in rare cases, may block progression if some events proceeded with a certain character that was being set up to be displayed on the map.
    • We are still investigating this issue and will take action.
    • Fixed a rare progression blocker issue that may occur under certain circumstances as the player is making their way through certain dungeons.
    • Fixed an issue where the game transitions to an incorrect map if the player transitions to the map from a certain location.
    • Fixed an issue where the player was able to invade an incorrect location on a certain map that may result in progression blockers.
    • Fixed an issue where characters that were removed from a battle due to enemy skill, “Humbaba Breath” are missing on the item menu as available characters that can equip gear.
    • Fixed an issue where Locke is unable to equip the gear “Ninja Gear” and “Black Garb”.
    • Fixed an issue where the weapon “Masamune” is unobtainable after completing a certain event.
    Other minor issues have been fixed as well.
    More updates are planned moving forward.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    So it sounds like that fixed that time travel softlock bug.

Honestly, very happy that they're supporting it with bug fixes as well as this. Obviously, the ideal would be to not have had progression-blocking bugs in the first place.

Enlong on
  • Options
    I found a new one recently - sometimes Chainsaw's damage just wouldn't be applied? I would melee attack an enemy in Zozo with Celes, and she'd kill it with around 400 damage, but then Edgar would chainsaw another one for around 1200 and it wouldn't die?

Just bonkers.

I've also seen some very weird animation/action desyncs on autobattle or with battle speed high. Could be the same issue.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I mostly dislike the tiny things they changed. Bosses have different (inferior!) effects when they die. When enemies steal from you, the sprite doesn't leap across the screen to hit your character, it just looks like a standard attack.

No, no, I don't like this at all. Make it more like my memories.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I found a new one recently - sometimes Chainsaw's damage just wouldn't be applied? I would melee attack an enemy in Zozo with Celes, and she'd kill it with around 400 damage, but then Edgar would chainsaw another one for around 1200 and it wouldn't die?

Just bonkers.

I've also seen some very weird animation/action desyncs on autobattle or with battle speed high. Could be the same issue.

The chainsaw thing maybe an animation thing? I remember chainsaw being inconsistent, and if it did the masked version it was an instant kill, but that could be evaded.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    The chainsaw instakill does not have a damage roll. If it's rolling for damage, it should be the spinning pizza cutter version.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
This discussion has been closed.