As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The little crystal turtle [Pokémon] is pretty cute.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    All I can say, is I agree with Stephanie Sterling's remark. If the next pokemon game reverts to the old setup where gameplay is constantly interrupted by text and menu shit, while ignoring everything that Arceus did. Then Nintendo is officially wasting my time and I'll have nothing to do with it. Given the timing, I'm worried that Scarlet and Violet are going to do exactly that, they'll just be a few QoL iterations on what Sword and Shield have done.

Really not happy that they insist on splitting the game between two, it's been BS sense Red and Blue. Like, I wouldn't have issues if the difference between versions like this was solely that some pokemon were more rare or common depending on the version, while maybe changing up the order that you could do some things in regards to the storyline. That functionally, means you'd only have to buy the game once because the other version wouldn't have any content exclusive to it.

Hell, wouldn't mind if they took Arceus whole thing of telling evolutions locked behind having to trade, to fuck right off. I get they are trying to encourage the multiplayer aspect, but those always annoyed me. Just let me catch every mon that is available to that generation of the game and get all it's evolutions without having to be forced into trading with someone. Plenty, off other ways to make me interested in interacting with other players, while also not completely hosing me if I decide I don't want to spend money on their online pass for a bit.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    At the end of the day they're still marketed as children's games. I will say that initially the thought of another Diamond or Pearl annoyed me to death (menuing especially) but watching my 6 year old son consume the hell out of these games and become attached to it has really reduced my anger.

I'll definitely pick up the new ones regardless but I'm going into it as a bonding experience with my son.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    I finally dug out Pokemon Y last night and transferred all that stuff to Home. Damn did I have a lot of legendaries there. My team was like, Diancie, Hoopla, Volcanion, Darkrai, Shiny Gengar, and Greninja :D haha... I don't think I actually used any of those beyond Greninja but I must have put them in my team after redeeming the codes. Also wow I forgot how ugly that game is compared to Sun and Moon :D Even Sun looked pretty ugly. I think I'm getting too used to Sword and Shield level graphics :P

In any case, Home now has like 1500 pokemon in it and a dex of like 553 :3 Actually considering doing that gen 2 3ds thing since I noticed gen 2 is a huge gap in my pokedex there (though honestly if they finally add Home support to Arceus a lot of that will get filled in). Really wish Arceus gave me more boxes though. I'd love to save more dupes to transfer to Home (for wonder trades and such) but I am just constantly running out of room :/ Ironically Home support would solve my space issue :P (though it'd be a bit of a hassle to transfer back and forth if I wanted to work on perfecting a particular dex entry)

Edit:

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    If the only thing I accomplish in this thread is getting others to partake in my GB VC dex shenanigans, then that is a poké life well lived

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    All I can say, is I agree with Stephanie Sterling's remark. If the next pokemon game reverts to the old setup where gameplay is constantly interrupted by text and menu shit, while ignoring everything that Arceus did. Then Nintendo is officially wasting my time and I'll have nothing to do with it. Given the timing, I'm worried that Scarlet and Violet are going to do exactly that, they'll just be a few QoL iterations on what Sword and Shield have done.

Really not happy that they insist on splitting the game between two, it's been BS sense Red and Blue. Like, I wouldn't have issues if the difference between versions like this was solely that some pokemon were more rare or common depending on the version, while maybe changing up the order that you could do some things in regards to the storyline. That functionally, means you'd only have to buy the game once because the other version wouldn't have any content exclusive to it.

Hell, wouldn't mind if they took Arceus whole thing of telling evolutions locked behind having to trade, to fuck right off. I get they are trying to encourage the multiplayer aspect, but those always annoyed me. Just let me catch every mon that is available to that generation of the game and get all it's evolutions without having to be forced into trading with someone. Plenty, off other ways to make me interested in interacting with other players, while also not completely hosing me if I decide I don't want to spend money on their online pass for a bit.

Arceus and ScVi were definitely developed together. Im positive the bulk of PLA changes are in them as well

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

Arceus and ScVi were definitely developed together. Im positive the bulk of PLA changes are in them as well

I think so as well. I mean, watching that trailer my first thought was "Is this Legends 2?" because it looked EXACTLY like Legends Arceus. I'm thinking it will borrow a lot from that game. At least, I'm hoping so.

Honestly, I'd love if they even found a way to incorporate the pokedex stuff from Arceus as like a "we want to study pokemon more so do some bonus objectives and we'll give you extra rewards" side mode. I have no doubt the bulk of the dex will revert back to Gen 8 (etc) style, but it'd be cool if that expanded dex completion stuff was incorporated in some way. (but I'm not holding my breath either :P) Or maybe they'll keep that to the "Legends" series of games assuming they do more (Legends Kanto plz?)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Facepalming so hard right now. Playing Red on VC and my squirtle skipped from level 7 to 9 which I forgot could even happen. I grinded out another level to get ready for Brock and have since saved before wondering when squirtle learns bubble, a quick Google reveals its level 8 and in Gen 1 I’m just SOL. Guess it’s up to butterfree this time.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Facepalming so hard right now. Playing Red on VC and my squirtle skipped from level 7 to 9 which I forgot could even happen. I grinded out another level to get ready for Brock and have since saved before wondering when squirtle learns bubble, a quick Google reveals its level 8 and in Gen 1 I’m just SOL. Guess it’s up to butterfree this time.

Wait, what?

EDIT: *does some Googling*

Man, of all the MANY problems G1 had, I didn't even think that was a thing.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Okay, I fucking quit (for tonight). Even with a guide, with a guide, I'm still missing one of the fucking wisps in each area because even if I go to the place the map alleges it's at, there are solid odds that I'll just walk straight past it due to the pop-in and assume it was one of the ones that I already got. I'm not just having to use a guide, I'm having to re-check even of these fucking spots twice.

If I bother to do the last two maps, I'm going to remember to use different icons to indicate "actually found" vs. "presumed already collected".

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    I found it definitely helped making sure to rest at camp to make it night. The wisps we're way easier for me to see when it was dark out.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    Okay, I fucking quit (for tonight). Even with a guide, with a guide, I'm still missing one of the fucking wisps in each area because even if I go to the place the map alleges it's at, there are solid odds that I'll just walk straight past it due to the pop-in and assume it was one of the ones that I already got. I'm not just having to use a guide, I'm having to re-check even of these fucking spots twice.

If I bother to do the last two maps, I'm going to remember to use different icons to indicate "actually found" vs. "presumed already collected".

So the problem I kept running into was forgetting that they ONLY appear at night. So Id sleep til night, then go on a run, and then end up going long enough that it was morning and theyd disappear.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    They don't only appear at night, but the range you can see them greatly extends the darker it is

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Yeah during the day they only pop in if you're like three feet from them. At night you can see them from most of the map if you have line of sight.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    What does favoriting an item do in Arceus?
    I presume there's a button somewhere that takes me to it.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    So with the announcement, and the release date later this year, any idea when we'll see the fully evolved starters? And, like, version exclusives and stuff?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »
    So with the announcement, and the release date later this year, any idea when we'll see the fully evolved starters? And, like, version exclusives and stuff?

Over the summer well probably get most if not all of the new Pokemon based on the last few games

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Kupi wrote: »

As I double check that the last Wisp in the second area isn't in this lake rock pile that I can't get to by deer.

But yeah, I just trip over the things trying to max all the research.
    So clearly this is the optimal playing strategy.
    (As in, I'm not sure why anyone else would play this way, but I do find the wisps)

Also found this potato poem.

discrider on
  • Options
    You can just wait for post gane spiritomb are a massively mass outbreak spawn now

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Don't you have to have a mon before they can show up in outbreaks?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Turambar wrote: »

Not that Im aware of

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    discrider wrote: »
    What does favoriting an item do in Arceus?
    I presume there's a button somewhere that takes me to it.

Favoriting the item puts it into a separate category when you use the sort function (minus button on the satchel view). The favorites will still be sorted in their regular order, but it's a nice way to, say, keep your throwable stunners next to your Pokeballs.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Aw yeh, finally got my first double shiny outbreak, got a shiny alpha Clefairy and a normal shiny Clefable

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »

Not that Im aware of

As far as I'm aware yeah, you have to catch one. At least that's how it was I don't know if a patch changed it.

• Options
    Found my last Wisp in this area.
    Maybe should head back to town at some point.

Although almost was forced to, as my kid was asking me to jump off very tall things.
    So I misjudged the jump into a river, hit the bank and cratered.
    Had to quit before autosave got me.

• Options
    Serebii has a wisp guide its got pictures of the exact locations and a map. Its really helpful

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Almost got my teeth kicked in by an Alpha Raichu.
    It landed a hit and was then firing them off quick enough that I was barely able to recover before the next one landed.

discrider on
  • Options
    I ended up grabbing crystal on 3ds vc. Man, it's been awhile since I played one of these old ones. So much jank they've ironed out over the years.

The thing that got me was the boxes only having 30 slots and having to manually walk back to a pokemon center to change out the box when it fills up otherwise I can't catch anymore pokemon. What an ass design! Glad this was something they eventually fixed. The other one was because the controls are a little finicky (there seems to be a weird lag between button inputs being accepted) I accidentally replaced my Bellsprout's vine whip, the only grass move, with cut. I told myself "well I'm probably not close to a move relearner but let me look up where they are." The answer was nowhere. Move relearner wasn't added until Gen 3. Yuck. Sorry Bellsprout, you've been boxed and replaced with Oddish. (it's fine, I would like to avoid as many Gen 1 mons as possible anyways so this way I can get Bellossom).

Money has been a nightmare. I can barely afford pokeballs. The catch rates also feel ass, but I think I've just gotten so used to Arceus which feels like it has better catch rates for everything. But it hurts when my pokeball stash is so tiny :(

Having fun so far despite the jank tho! Still debating if I want to delete half these phone numbers tho. Jesus this game REALLY loves to have npcs call you every two minutes to talk about how cute their ratatta is... I just beat the Goldenrod Gym. FUCK YOU Whitney and your bullshit Miltank... I actually whited out there because I literally could not get any turns in. I'd send a new pokemon in and they would die before they could even act to a one shot rollout. Second try I got a hypnosis off first turn which basically made it trivial. And then she literally cried and almost refused to give me a badge... Things you don't remember.. Haha (that whole gym was a little cringe)

• Options
    That miltank is infamous for being an absolute wall!

• Options
    That miltank is infamous for being an absolute wall!

Yeah, I knew about it too but I was like, how bad could it be? I didn't think it would be bullshit unfair levels of bad...

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited March 2022

I would have to agree and for Gamefreak's sake I hope we're right. Arceus has been a commercial and critical success. Apart from tech issues the gameplay has received nearly universal praise form fans new and old. They can't go back now not without the game being absolutely railed against from all corners.

And I know people like to say the games are for kids, Gamefreak and Nintendo may believe that too, but all the marketing research says kids aren't the ones buying and playing the games. They're certainly a percentage, but not the big percentage.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    My starter is over the level cap again in Arceus.
    I'm not seeing any signs of disobedience yet though.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    My 6 year old is at the end of Sword now. In the past 3 months he's beaten Let's Go Pikachu several times, Pearl and now Sword. I half wonder if I should start him down on the JRPG path.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Man, I cured the Ampharos and beat the weirdly empty steel gym (seriously, three pokemon? No other trainers?) and now I'm kinda lost on where to go. I found some kind of mountain cave which I think might be where I need to go? It was the only place that seemed new. But then one of my phone contacts had a free fire stone for me so I had to backtrack a bunch. Of course my team has 0 fliers so I can't learn fly yet -_- I'm trying to emergency train up a zubat into a crobat... *sigh* I would do a Skarmory if I knew where the heck to catch them... (apparently Route 47, wherever the heck that is...)

At least money has been less of a pain. Fights are starting to give me generous amounts finally. I swear to god though, I spent something like 30 pokeballs trying to catch a Mantine who was both paralyzed and at like literally 2 hp and refused to get into a ball. I ended up using EVERY pokeball I had (something like 20 great balls and 10 regular and even the couple random other ones) and I reset in frustration when he didn't get caught. Had to redo some of the trainer fights I just did but that was just stupid. I found a second one after that and while he did take like 5 great balls I eventually did catch him at least. Don't ask me why I'm even bothering with the pokedex considering it's pretty much impossible to complete here (no trade evos or other game exclusives since I have no one else physically nearby to trade with and these old gens don't have internet trading) but dammit I want to at least catch as much new as I can :P I am sad I won't be able to evolve my Polywag into a Politoad :( (seriously, I hope gen 9 kills trade evos the same way Arceus did.. worse evo type)

(all that said, my rental of Shining Pearl should be coming any day now so I'll probably have to put this game on hold... though I do want to at least do the bug catching contest for my sun stone to get Bellosum)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    oh no no no,
    older games had some serious UX issues. I started with Y and now have played all gens, and i can say for certain that pokemon party/box management was complete garbage until gen 6. and they only got it RIGHT with ORAS (and the option to put organize boxes as the first item). Gen1 is just torture, every aspect of the interface.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Man, I cured the Ampharos and beat the weirdly empty steel gym (seriously, three pokemon? No other trainers?) and now I'm kinda lost on where to go. I found some kind of mountain cave which I think might be where I need to go? It was the only place that seemed new. But then one of my phone contacts had a free fire stone for me so I had to backtrack a bunch. Of course my team has 0 fliers so I can't learn fly yet -_- I'm trying to emergency train up a zubat into a crobat... *sigh* I would do a Skarmory if I knew where the heck to catch them... (apparently Route 47, wherever the heck that is...)

At least money has been less of a pain. Fights are starting to give me generous amounts finally. I swear to god though, I spent something like 30 pokeballs trying to catch a Mantine who was both paralyzed and at like literally 2 hp and refused to get into a ball. I ended up using EVERY pokeball I had (something like 20 great balls and 10 regular and even the couple random other ones) and I reset in frustration when he didn't get caught. Had to redo some of the trainer fights I just did but that was just stupid. I found a second one after that and while he did take like 5 great balls I eventually did catch him at least. Don't ask me why I'm even bothering with the pokedex considering it's pretty much impossible to complete here (no trade evos or other game exclusives since I have no one else physically nearby to trade with and these old gens don't have internet trading) but dammit I want to at least catch as much new as I can :P I am sad I won't be able to evolve my Polywag into a Politoad :( (seriously, I hope gen 9 kills trade evos the same way Arceus did.. worse evo type)

(all that said, my rental of Shining Pearl should be coming any day now so I'll probably have to put this game on hold... though I do want to at least do the bug catching contest for my sun stone to get Bellosum)

If you'd like to complete the Dex for whatever reason, there's a glitch or two you can do to get basically any Pokemon you want. Sadly, the one I'm aware of requires you to have nearly beaten the whole game and requires several of the best TMs to not be used. I used it on my VC Pokemon Silver to get a Steelix on my team.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Research caps at 99,999

My day is ruined.

• Options
    Terrendos wrote: »
    I

If you'd like to complete the Dex for whatever reason, there's a glitch or two you can do to get basically any Pokemon you want. Sadly, the one I'm aware of requires you to have nearly beaten the whole game and requires several of the best TMs to not be used. I used it on my VC Pokemon Silver to get a Steelix on my team.

Ah neat. I don't know what TMs it is, but I've used the ones that are required to smash boulders and headbutt trees. And I think I sold Fury Swipes because that move sucks.

Of interest tho, I was curious how the Celebei event worked so I looked it up. Turns out the VC versions of Crystal automatically enable the event once you beat the game which is pretty sweet.

• Options
    Zunde wrote: »
    Research caps at 99,999

My day is ruined.

What?
    How would you even get that high?

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Side note, I'm kinda addicted to the Pokemon Home mobile app. Mostly cuz it has mass wonder trade and that was one of my favorite things to do in gen 7 :P But also having a full national dex I can work on is kinda fun. The GTS is pretty nice too. Been trying to snipe some gen 3 stuff mostly since that's gonna be a big hole in my dex (I never played the Ruby/Sapphire remakes). Been getting an ok amount of shinies too :P I'm sure they are mostly hacked but whatever. Gen 5 is ultimately gonna be the problem tho as I have no clue how I'm going to get some of those legendaries.

Oh, and also none of this crap is on the Switch version because... reasons? I don't understand why the mobile app and switch app are COMPLETELY different from each other, outside of the shared pokemon storage...

Edit: Damn, now I am actually considering getting the gen 5 games... I kinda legit want to play them...

Random question - if I were to get, say, Pokemon Black and Pokemon White 2, does that cover all the version exclusive Pokemon? Or do the 2's change things up too much so I'd still be missing some stuff?

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    I

Ah neat. I don't know what TMs it is, but I've used the ones that are required to smash boulders and headbutt trees. And I think I sold Fury Swipes because that move sucks.

Of interest tho, I was curious how the Celebei event worked so I looked it up. Turns out the VC versions of Crystal automatically enable the event once you beat the game which is pretty sweet.

I actually looked it up and apparently that glitch only works on Gold/Silver anyway, so whoops, sorry about that. The TM you would have needed were Sleep Talk, Dig, Swift, Shadow Ball, Solarbeam, Toxic, and Thunderpunch. IIRC of those only Solarbeam and Thunderpunch can be purchased multiple times, and Toxic in particular you have to beat Janine, which means you're nearly done with the game by that point.