As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - In This Issue

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited March 2022 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - In This Issue

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    I, for one, endorse this new direction.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    It's hardly even a reboot. The 90's were only... Uh... *runs out of fingers" You guys are all assholes.

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    I've been skimming scans of old game magazines over the last few months. The strip nails it, but layout-wise, it's on the tame side haha

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    As a Florida native, I can confirm. All of those things are just like in Florida.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Where can I find the wicked bat pecker? I've been using the angry blood fork for too long, and could use a change of pace.

• OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Where can I find the wicked bat pecker? I've been using the angry blood fork for too long, and could use a change of pace.

Well, it's Just Like In Florida, so it'll be in the west end of Boca Raton.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • palidine40palidine40 Registered User regular
    Afraid to look where the arrows pointing... too interested to not DX

• SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Why are all the pictures censored?

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    So they don't get Strawberry Shortcaked again

• Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    They're not censored, that's just what the graphics look like, obviously.

• LtPowersLtPowers Registered User regular
    Tycho's writeup had me wanting to play this game, of which I had not heard before. Then I looked at this article: https://slate.com/culture/2022/03/elden-ring-dark-souls-hard-to-beat.html

Never mind.

Powers &8^]

• doompookydoompooky Wild (Let's Draw A) Horses Couldn't Drag Me AwayRegistered User regular
    Pennyarcade

we7ek91hy97o.png
  • ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    LtPowers wrote: »
    Tycho's writeup had me wanting to play this game, of which I had not heard before. Then I looked at this article: https://slate.com/culture/2022/03/elden-ring-dark-souls-hard-to-beat.html

Never mind.

Powers &8^]

It's bog standard butthurt from a reviewer tasked with powering through a game too vast to see more than a wafer-thin vertical slice of before the pressure is on to say something, anything during the fleeting window in which such first impression could be considered relevant. And with praise for the game being thick on the ground, well, if they trash it for the most worn-out trope of a reason that seems to cling to Souls games, namely that these actual, proper videogames for videogamers, feature challenges to overcome, well then... it worked, didn't it? I mean, people are sharing the link.

I got stuck briefly on a real tough enemy once, so far. Know what I did? I got on my horse and went patrolling like a Rider of Rohan for a while. Then I went and explored and found some neat items and had some more epic battles. I could probably put a whole RPG worth of hours into this game and not even feel an itch to go back to the fight I was stuck on. But I did anyway, and this time, just scraped by. It was earned, and it felt real good.

That's Elden Ring. You don't have to be a glutton for punishment to enjoy it. I'm not that guy, and I'm really digging it.

Nothing personal. It's just business.
  • threapthreap Registered User regular
    Honestly, if we're going for an authentic 90s ambience, I'm a little disappointed that this strip isn't presented as a dithered 8-bit color GIF, with a prominent "BEST VIEWED USING NETSCAPE NAVIGATOR AT 800x600 OR HIGHER" banner below it, and the twitter/facebook glyphs replaced by the Geocities and AOL logos. For shame, gentlemen, for shame!

• DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    threap wrote: »
    Honestly, if we're going for an authentic 90s ambience, I'm a little disappointed that this strip isn't presented as a dithered 8-bit color GIF, with a prominent "BEST VIEWED USING NETSCAPE NAVIGATOR AT 800x600 OR HIGHER" banner below it, and the twitter/facebook glyphs replaced by the Geocities and AOL logos. For shame, gentlemen, for shame!

Well, it's meant to represent a printed magazine, not a 90s website.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I love the last paragraph of this strip's newspost.
    That Ten, or the arrayed phalanx of them, simply indicates that the sample exceeds the apparatus. It's more like a blinking error message. I don't mean to say that a person who gives it a ten is bad or a dumb liar or something. I think it's all you can fucking say about it. Even the text, my text, all of it, is irrelevant. I don't know how you're supposed to "score" a magical wardrobe you found to a parallel world.

• LtPowersLtPowers Registered User regular
    That's Elden Ring. You don't have to be a glutton for punishment to enjoy it. I'm not that guy, and I'm really digging it.

So, you've only once failed to beat a boss on the first try? That's a very very different experience than I've seen in other reviews.

Powers &8^]

• ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    LtPowers wrote: »

So, you've only once failed to beat a boss on the first try? That's a very very different experience than I've seen in other reviews.

Powers &8^]

On, I was stuck after a number of tries, not just one.

But I soon felt the desire to go explore and see more of The Lands Between, rather than hang out there retrying the fight. This game is quite accommodating, in that regard.

Nothing personal. It's just business.
  • lionheartssjlionheartssj Bartertown Chief Merchant BartertownRegistered User regular
    Love this call back. I had a subscription to Sega Visions and it was a big deal when it came in the mail. We would pool together and look through these, Nintendo Power, EGM. Pre-internet game news was so much more optimistic and exuberant.