As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The little crystal turtle [Pokémon] is pretty cute.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Terrendos wrote: »
    I
    Man, I cured the Ampharos and beat the weirdly empty steel gym (seriously, three pokemon? No other trainers?) and now I'm kinda lost on where to go. I found some kind of mountain cave which I think might be where I need to go? It was the only place that seemed new. But then one of my phone contacts had a free fire stone for me so I had to backtrack a bunch. Of course my team has 0 fliers so I can't learn fly yet -_- I'm trying to emergency train up a zubat into a crobat... *sigh* I would do a Skarmory if I knew where the heck to catch them... (apparently Route 47, wherever the heck that is...)

At least money has been less of a pain. Fights are starting to give me generous amounts finally. I swear to god though, I spent something like 30 pokeballs trying to catch a Mantine who was both paralyzed and at like literally 2 hp and refused to get into a ball. I ended up using EVERY pokeball I had (something like 20 great balls and 10 regular and even the couple random other ones) and I reset in frustration when he didn't get caught. Had to redo some of the trainer fights I just did but that was just stupid. I found a second one after that and while he did take like 5 great balls I eventually did catch him at least. Don't ask me why I'm even bothering with the pokedex considering it's pretty much impossible to complete here (no trade evos or other game exclusives since I have no one else physically nearby to trade with and these old gens don't have internet trading) but dammit I want to at least catch as much new as I can :P I am sad I won't be able to evolve my Polywag into a Politoad :( (seriously, I hope gen 9 kills trade evos the same way Arceus did.. worse evo type)

(all that said, my rental of Shining Pearl should be coming any day now so I'll probably have to put this game on hold... though I do want to at least do the bug catching contest for my sun stone to get Bellosum)

If you'd like to complete the Dex for whatever reason, there's a glitch or two you can do to get basically any Pokemon you want. Sadly, the one I'm aware of requires you to have nearly beaten the whole game and requires several of the best TMs to not be used. I used it on my VC Pokemon Silver to get a Steelix on my team.

Ah neat. I don't know what TMs it is, but I've used the ones that are required to smash boulders and headbutt trees. And I think I sold Fury Swipes because that move sucks.

Of interest tho, I was curious how the Celebei event worked so I looked it up. Turns out the VC versions of Crystal automatically enable the event once you beat the game which is pretty sweet.

I actually looked it up and apparently that glitch only works on Gold/Silver anyway, so whoops, sorry about that. The TM you would have needed were Sleep Talk, Dig, Swift, Shadow Ball, Solarbeam, Toxic, and Thunderpunch. IIRC of those only Solarbeam and Thunderpunch can be purchased multiple times, and Toxic in particular you have to beat Janine, which means you're nearly done with the game by that point.

Ahh.. I think I actually have most of those.. haha... too bad. Though I wanted to use Shadow Ball at some point anyways

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I'm playing White 1 right now, and the lack of a real Exp. All thing is so boring and annoying. I have to keep doing the switch training thing and it takes aaaages to have a half decent team. And wild pokemon all have those annoying moves like hypnosis (that magically never misses), scald, all those moves that just make the fight take a long time.

They put extra healing people in houses between towns for a reason, I guess.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    I'm playing White 1 right now, and the lack of a real Exp. All thing is so boring and annoying. I have to keep doing the switch training thing and it takes aaaages to have a half decent team. And wild pokemon all have those annoying moves like hypnosis (that magically never misses), scald, all those moves that just make the fight take a long time.

Yes, the lack of Exp All was like the first thing I complained about when I started Crystal too. Haha.. I've gotten so used to it in modern games that it just sucks when it's not there.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282

Yes, the lack of Exp All was like the first thing I complained about when I started Crystal too. Haha.. I've gotten so used to it in modern games that it just sucks when it's not there.

and grognards are so incredibly salty about it. All it does is save us tedious mindless grinding.
    but "hey your team ends up too powerful and the game gets easy"
    well there are hundreds of ways to play high difficulty pokemon nowadays, including nuzlockes and all kinds of crazy challenges.
    I guess i agree with "it should be optional", but i'm pretty sure, at the end of the day, that a large majority of buyers just want it on.

camo_sig2.png
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    I preferred the Exp. Share item. I'm seldom trying to actively level grind more than 1 Pokemon at a time anyway, and it's so hard not to get overleveled with the modern Exp. All.

Terrendos on
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Exp all is bad and has made the games worse

It would be nice if you could turn it off at least

2x39jD4.jpg
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Exp Share is awesome and great

But I wouldn't mind if there was a way to turn it off for the people who want

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Kwoaru wrote: »

see that's what i mean
    no it didn't
    and exp. all as a held item sucks, it halves exp;

oh another great new thing is being able to check moves while in battle.

camo_sig2.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Exp All is fine, they just need to make pokemon levels scale more (both wild and trainer).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    I have taken up the practice of rotating Pokemon to keep from being over leveled. Plus I then have an excuse to have a whole bunch of ghost types.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Ghost type is best type.

edited March 2022
    Got my rental of Shining Pearl in the mail yesterday. Having fun so far. Graphics still look like butt and the game is literally the same old jank but polished over :P Though I think recently playing Crystal at least is letting me appreciate the whole thing a bit more since it's a little closer to that style game than a modern one (in terms of story/gameplay structure anyways). I kinda hate that I had to manually enter the rival's canon name because the Pearl list doesn't include it by default tho :P (I had to do that with Silver in Crystal too tho :P). Also hate the typical Pokemon trope of not giving me any character customization until like 10 hours into the game *sigh* Still haven't reached a town that will even let me change my outfit...

Also screw protocol, I need to beat this by the end of the month when my gamefly free trial ends so I'm using Jirachi :P I would have used Mew but it literally has no moves. Honestly it's fun and different enough from how I usually play that I'm enjoying it (and really he's not OP or anything, at least right now)

Oh, and also, Arceus has me all messed up thinking Magikarp and Abra actually learn, like, moves. I was trying to raise them for a bit before throwing my hands up and saying screw it. I didn't want to use them anyways (I'd rather use stuff I haven't used much in the past). So instead I spent like 2 hours trying to farm a Shellos that didn't have absolute shit IVs (seriously, every one was like, -DEF, -S.DEF, -S.ATK... I eventually found a +DEF, -ATK one and said good enough)

Warlock82 on

see that's what i mean
    no it didn't

It takes an already easy game and makes it super duper easy without adding the option to turn it off or turning up the difficulty in any other way

Its an incredibly convenient thing but I personally find it detrimental to the experience as implemented

Thats pretty much the only QOL change they've made that I dislike though

2x39jD4.jpg
    edited March 2022

see that's what i mean
    no it didn't

It takes an already easy game and makes it super duper easy without adding the option to turn it off or turning up the difficulty in any other way

Its an incredibly convenient thing but I personally find it detrimental to the experience as implemented

Thats pretty much the only QOL change they've made that I dislike though

I dunno if I agree. Going back to play Crystal, even if I level everyone evenly (which is essentially the same as using EXP All) that game has still been somewhat hard (not super hard but harder than I'm used to from Pokemon). All the EXP All does is remove the tedium of having to swap pokemon in and out to balance XP gain. The easiness I think just comes from the series softening itself up over time. Stuff like catch rates, money, availability of healing items, placement of battles, etc have all gotten more player friendly over time (seriously though, I've been soooooo broke in Crystal until recently when the game started to be more generous with battle payouts.. I could barely afford 5 pokeballs...). I had like 1 potion for a lot of the Crystal early game and barely any money to buy more (I could have if I didn't want pokeballs :P). Meanwhile I started a Shining Pearl game and they just gave me 10 of them pretty much off the bat. It's stuff like that making the games easier, less so the EXP All IMO :P

Edit: All that said, if they wanted to make it optional that would be totally fine with me. I'm always on the side of giving players more options to play how they want.

Warlock82 on
    I literally cannot imagine playing Pokemon without Exp All anymore. Swapping out your pokemon all the time is part of the charm... Without it you'd essentially be stuck using the same 5 pokemon unless you're okay with farming for hours to keep a new one up to your level. But I'm also the kind of person that enjoys the fact that you can get through the game in under 40 hours.

edited March 2022
    urahonky wrote: »
    I literally cannot imagine playing Pokemon without Exp All anymore. Swapping out your pokemon all the time is part of the charm... Without it you'd essentially be stuck using the same 5 pokemon unless you're okay with farming for hours to keep a new one up to your level. But I'm also the kind of person that enjoys the fact that you can get through the game in under 40 hours.

Ahhh see this is...exactly how I play pokemon?

I pick a team of 6 (5 in the HM days) and I use them for the entire game front to back. Very occasionally I'll switch a pokemon out during the story if one turns out to be super weak or I find something exciting but usually I know what I'm going to be using before I start playing.

So exp all made it so I basically sleep walk through the entire game. Like it wasn't hard to keep an evenly levelled team before, and with exp all I ended up with a team that is evenly levelled but also way overlevelled without even trying.

Edit which is why being able to turn it off would be nice for me personally

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
    edited March 2022
    Ah priorities:

https://www.polygon.com/22966063/pokemon-card-prison-sentence-chardizard
    A Georgia man has been sentenced to 36 months in prison — three years — after using COVID-19 relief money to purchase a rare Charizard Pokémon card. The Department of Justice (DOJ) announced the sentencing in a news release issued Monday.

The man, 31-year-old Vinath Oudomsine, was awarded an Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) for $85,000 after claiming to own a small business that supported 10 employees. These loans were created as part of Congress’ pandemic relief plan, and intended to be used for businesses to pay workers and rent.

Once Oudomsine got the money, however, the DOJ said he used $57,789 of it to buy a Charizard card. A card matching this description — a first-edition, shadowless, and holographic Charizard card with a 9.5 gem mint rating — was sold at the PWCC marketplace for that price in late December.

U.S. district court judge Dudley H. Bowen also ordered Oudomsine to pay $10,000 on top of the $85,000 in restitution and three years in prison. He will have three years of “supervised release” after the three years in prison. Oudomsine has also agreed to turn the Charizard card over to prosecutors.

And he doesn't even get to keep it after all that... (also Jesus Christ that is a lot of money to pay for one freaking card!)

Warlock82 on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Got my rental of Shining Pearl in the mail yesterday. Having fun so far. Graphics still look like butt and the game is literally the same old jank but polished over :P Though I think recently playing Crystal at least is letting me appreciate the whole thing a bit more since it's a little closer to that style game than a modern one (in terms of story/gameplay structure anyways). I kinda hate that I had to manually enter the rival's canon name because the Pearl list doesn't include it by default tho :P (I had to do that with Silver in Crystal too tho :P). Also hate the typical Pokemon trope of not giving me any character customization until like 10 hours into the game *sigh* Still haven't reached a town that will even let me change my outfit...

Also screw protocol, I need to beat this by the end of the month when my gamefly free trial ends so I'm using Jirachi :P I would have used Mew but it literally has no moves. Honestly it's fun and different enough from how I usually play that I'm enjoying it (and really he's not OP or anything, at least right now)

Oh, and also, Arceus has me all messed up thinking Magikarp and Abra actually learn, like, moves. I was trying to raise them for a bit before throwing my hands up and saying screw it. I didn't want to use them anyways (I'd rather use stuff I haven't used much in the past). So instead I spent like 2 hours trying to farm a Shellos that didn't have absolute shit IVs (seriously, every one was like, -DEF, -S.DEF, -S.ATK... I eventually found a +DEF, -ATK one and said good enough)

In the OG you got a super early Hidden Power TM, so the trick was to teach that to an Abra. Abra's special attack is pretty good, and HP always keys off it from Gen 4+, so as long as you didn't get a butt typing you could let that carry you until level 16.

Ahhh see this is...exactly how I play pokemon?

I pick a team of 6 (5 in the HM days) and I use them for the entire game front to back. Very occasionally I'll switch a pokemon out during the story if one turns out to be super weak or I find something exciting but usually I know what I'm going to be using before I start playing.

So exp all made it so I basically sleep walk through the entire game. Like it wasn't hard to keep an evenly levelled team before, and with exp all I ended up with a team that is evenly levelled but also way overlevelled without even trying.

Edit which is why being able to turn it off would be nice for me personally

Probably why they want to prevent turning it off haha. They spent all that work putting these Pokemon in the game and using new moves and stuff and people were using their Starter + 5 other the entire game. Kind of why BotW forced you to switch weapons due to the durability (which I still feel like is good but it needs the ability for you to repair a weapon you like... and maybe double the durability of items).

The card market is absolutely insane right now. COVID pushed those prices UP.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I think Exp. Share is a bit of a red herring when it comes to the difficulty balance in Pokemon; it's an antagonist of what I think is the real root cause, which is the damage formula.

There are various coefficients and constant values employed in the damage formula that make it look more complicated than it actually is. Disregarding for the moment various conditional multipliers and a few constants they threw in to stabilize its behavior around the edges, the damage formula is essentially:

[A Constant Ratio] * [Attacker's Level] * ([Attacker's Attacking Stat] / [Defender's Defending Stat])

That is, when you raise a Pokemon's level, its attack goes up just because of that, and then the base damage is multiplied by the ratio of the attack stat over the defense stat. Except that, wait a minute, the attack stat is also a function of the attacker's level! So as the difference in the experience level of the attacker and defender increases, the power balance between them gets worse and worse. Or to put it another way, being two levels ahead of your opponent is a greater increase in power relative to being one level ahead than being one level ahead is to being the same level. This effect slows down a bit as you get higher in the level curve, but it never entirely goes away.

Now, Exp. Share certainly spreads a lot more experience points around than normal. But the problem isn't that the Pokemon you don't use to battle can get experience, it's that any Pokemon can get into a level range where it massively outpowers any single opponent and runs through the opposing team. If I were trying to make Pokemon more difficult (and I am, in the game I'm making), I'd make the experience scaling a lot stronger, such that you can only reasonably raise your level to one or two levels above your current opponents.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.

more like assholes are pumping and dumping

camo_sig2.png

more like assholes are pumping and dumping

100%. My buddy basically cashed out his MTG cards. A few years ago they were worth a couple hundred but recently got them valued at several thousand lol

edited March 2022

Yeah. $60,000 for a single card is still nuts to me though even with the huge surge in Pokemon cards. That's like the price of a house (a very low end house but still).

Random side note, I was looking at Pokemon Home again and apparently someone traded me a shiny Mr. Rime in one of my wonder trades (which I literally didn't even know was an actual pokemon until today). Also jesus I am half tempted to restart Y just to farm up a bazillion Vivillons for trading...

Warlock82 on

Yeah. $60,000 for a single card is still nuts to me though even with the huge surge in Pokemon cards. That's like the price of a house (a very low end house but still).

Random side note, I was looking at Pokemon Home again and apparently someone traded me a shiny Mr. Rime in one of my wonder trades (which I literally didn't even know was an actual pokemon until today). Also jesus I am half tempted to restart Y just to farm up a bazillion Vivillons for trading...

Try $200,000 for a single MtG card.

It's insanity.

Polaritie wrote: »

It's insanity.

Yikes. I mean, I get the collectable aspect and everything but still, that is insane to me for what is essentially a tiny piece of paper that's been mass-printed (to some extent anyways). Unless you are just insanely rich and that amount of money means nothing to you, I just don't get it :P

Polaritie wrote: »

It's insanity.

Yikes. I mean, I get the collectable aspect and everything but still, that is insane to me for what is essentially a tiny piece of paper that's been mass-printed (to some extent anyways). Unless you are just insanely rich and that amount of money means nothing to you, I just don't get it :P

Bonus points for the card being legal in almost no formats, and the ones where it is allow proxies because they basically have to (because of the prices on very rare almost 30 year old cards)

Wow, speaking of which, this just showed up in my twitter timeline:

Madness

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular

For me it's the swapping out without the exp all/share that kills me. ive done the whole thing where you start with whatever youre gonna level then swap to whatever to kill the enemy and then swap back ad nauseam. BUT, the animations for pulling a mon back and throwing out the next, then watching the abilities all trigger, is what is so draining. My biggest gripe with swsh is that the dynamax animations arent skippable. The attacks are if you arent online, but you still have to watch the whole grow thing, and when you grow the pokeball at the end as well. one thing i really liked about the older games was that the animations were a lot quicker. The pace of the game gets really bogged down when youre just waiting on animations to finish. every little thing is like youre casting knights of the round again. now i just queue up my attacks and then scroll away on my phone. it's not very engaging.

i havent tried arceus to know if that is much different, but i am looking forward to crimson and violet and hope they can solve the long animation problems ive had with mega/dynamax and Z moves. but chances are they are just going to double down and we're going to have both in the next game. i also hope they nuke zacian, kyogre, and groudon from high orbit in the next game because they are miserable in VGC. really a "low fantasy" pokemon that has almost no legendaries would be nice after swsh had all of them.

what pattern of Vivillon you get?

camo_sig2.png
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    i havent tried arceus to know if that is much different

It is, Arceus is much quicker than previous games. It's one of the best changes they made. You can fight a wild pokemon in about 5 seconds.

Enigmedic wrote: »
    i havent tried arceus to know if that is much different

It is, Arceus is much quicker than previous games. It's one of the best changes they made. You can fight a wild pokemon in about 5 seconds.

It's soooo much faster, you can throw 3 pokemon at different material nodes, and lob a pokeball at a wild one at the same time.

camo_sig2.png
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    But you can't jump on mining Pokemon for an additional height boost.
    It's very sad.

• Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular

Madness

I...had this card as a kid. First wave, had an uncle that owned a comic/gaming store, got a lot of boosters thrown my way.
    They got left in a binder at my parents' and sold for MTG cards by my brother in like 2010.
    BRB inventing a time machine so I can go slap myself in junior high.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited March 2022

Madness

I...had this card as a kid. First wave, had an uncle that owned a comic/gaming store, got a lot of boosters thrown my way.
    They got left in a binder at my parents' and sold for MTG cards by my brother in like 2010.
    BRB inventing a time machine so I can go slap myself in junior high.

Yeah, but was it holographic and had no shadow (printing error I assume) and was not played with?
    Like it's entirely possible you had the same card lying around, but probably not.

Either way, it would've been nice to still have, but better to trust your past self implicitly IMO.
    No way they could have known, and so no reason to be sad about it now.

Maybe be mad at your brother though, if it was outside your permission.

discrider on
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    My mom still has a holographic 1st edition charizard card circa me.

edited March 2022

what pattern of Vivillon you get?

If I remember right, it's that sort of American-ish looking one, the red white and blue pattern. According to google I think it's "Modern." At least, this is the only one I had transferred from Pokemon Bank that wasn't an event pattern (Pokeball and Fancy). Although I've also heard you can change your region to get different patterns (but you have to do this at the start of a new game... I don't know if this changes the language or if it's just reading it off the 3DS or something... but if I can still play in English, this might be worth doing to get a rarer pattern for trades... if I ever get around to restarting the game anyways :P)

Also, ended up ordering Black and Black 2 off eBay. They are 100% reproduction carts because all the genuine ones were like $100 each (seriously, it's so dumb). I'm hoping they still work with Pokemon Bank (I deliberately avoided all the "2 in 1" combo carts because I guarantee that shit wouldn't work.. also that feels a little more scummy and there's no way I'd have time to play both anyways)

Edit: Oh, also last night spent a bunch of time wandering the Grand Underground. Kind of lamer than I was expecting it to be? Maybe it's just cuz I'm only in the first area but like 90% of the pokemon are ones I've already caught on the surface so far (and even when they are new, they're usually pretty obviously common ones like Onix or Gastly). Did get a Houndoom down there tho. Figure she'll make a good fire type in the gen with basically 1 fire option (and I at refuse to use Rapidash again). Of course, she doesn't HAVE any fire moves yet.. but I think I'm close to learning Fire Fang so that will be good. In the mean time, STAB Bite is very nice. Also I named her Hotdog :3

Oh, and looking through my Pokedex in Home some more, I feel confident I lost mons from gen 6/7 to Bank now. I am almost positive I had Marshadow at one point and I don't anymore. I also remember a shiny Goomy being my first legit (non red-gyarados) shiny ever in Pokemon Y and it's nowhere to be seen. I feel like I also owned a Meloetta and Genesect at some point but they are gone too :( I hope they do re-distributions of some of these once Gen 9 rolls out. (also Gen 8 mythicals because I totally ignored all of them like a moron)

Warlock82 on
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I'm not sure and I don't know if anyone cares but if you ever get a shiny pokemon in a trade it was probably hacked in.

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    I got a shiny Vivillion when i was Home trading for the complete set

I think it's legit tho because it's one of the most subtle shinies and i didn't even notice until some days later, so i can see trading it without realising

(only the body is a slightly lighter colour, the regional patterns are always the same)

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    Gundi wrote: »
    I'm not sure and I don't know if anyone cares but if you ever get a shiny pokemon in a trade it was probably hacked in.

For the most part yes. I've seen a couple of my trade ones say they came from Pokemon Go and shinies are super easy to get there on community days :P