As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[War] the thread where we all root for Ukraine to rout Russia

1939495969799»

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Do the people asking for a no-fly zone realize that if America engages in a battle with Russia in the skies above Ukraine the entire country will be a smoking crater within a few hours?

Yeah, we argue about it twice a day in this thread

• Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    you'd have thought from this thread it was closer to 70% =p

That "5%" is out of the total stockpile, I believe. So it's more like 15-25% of operational vehicles. That is

The tweet called out 5% of the INVASION forces. That wouldn't be the total stockpile?

Can you clarify what you mean? I read total stockpile as the amount Russia has in sum total.

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Ukrainian pilots. There are probably not enough US pilots competent and risk-able on MiGs to fly them if we wanted. That is, US pilots who would be able to combat fly a MiG 29 are likely highly valuable training and test flight pilots. You would need probably 6 months to a year to get your average f-15 pilot up to speed on a “new jet”.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Inconsistent language in articles themselves makes me think there's a casualty/loss/death thing going on where the media is using words interchangeably that are not interchangeable.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Do the people asking for a no-fly zone realize that if America engages in a battle with Russia in the skies above Ukraine the entire country will be a smoking crater within a few hours?

I don't think nuclear war is any kind of guarantee if Russian and American forces directly face off, but I also truly don't think people calling for the no-fly zone realize the risk of nuclear conflict becomes a realistic probability if NATO policy pushes into direct attacks on Russian forces.

I think these people mean well, but they're thinking a no-fly zone means shutting down the Russians from dropping bombs on Ukraine, not that enforcing the no-fly zone is major Danger Zone territory that requires enforcement by forces that should not interact.

• Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular

Something isn't a given just because we say it is.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Is there any reason to think there is necessarily going to be an immediate and massive disruption of wheat exports
    Almost at 100, anyone got a new OP lined up?

Yeah I'm working on it and will have it up in just a bit.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Inconsistent language in articles themselves makes me think there's a casualty/loss/death thing going on where the media is using words interchangeably that are not interchangeable.

you also have one side reporting literally 10x what the other side is reporting so i wouldn't rely too much on specific numbers for the moment and pay more attention to actual events

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Ukrainian pilots. There are probably not enough US pilots competent and risk-able on MiGs to fly them if we wanted. That is, US pilots who would be able to combat fly a MiG 29 are likely highly valuable training and test flight pilots. You would need probably 6 months to a year to get your average f-15 pilot up to speed on a “new jet”.

Yeah even very experienced and decorated pilots can’t necessarily just swap to a new fighter plane trivially, just ask this guy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_M._Bond

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/russian-stock-market-halt-extended-ruble-trading-to-reopen-1.1734379

To the surprise of nobody, the crash of the Russian stock market has, again, been pushed back. Trading will remain closed tomorrow.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    Smaug6 wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    McDonald's is at least temporarily closing its stores in Russia now.

AP reporter:

I wonder how much of it has to do with supply issues

I mean McDonald's primarily operates on a franchise system - meaning they take Royalty revenue from the store and have a vertically integrated sales chain. The fact that there is no way to pay thar Royalty or pay for goods means to any entity outside the country means that unless McDonald's wants to own a lot of worthless Russian currency in perpetuity, they aren't going to continue shipping goods in or providing the franchise support required by its contracts. It's surprising it took this long for this to happen honestly.

Normally, yes, but they straight-up owned most of the Russian locations.

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »

you also have one side reporting literally 10x what the other side is reporting so i wouldn't rely too much on specific numbers for the moment and pay more attention to actual events

Honestly even if the Ukrainians are exaggerating (deliberately or otherwise), the Russians were insisting four or five days into this that they'd suffered no casualties. The range between the two isn't as significant as the fact that the aggressors here aren't even pretending to sound plausible.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Is there any reason to think there is necessarily going to be an immediate and massive disruption of wheat exports
    Almost at 100, anyone got a new OP lined up?

Yeah I'm working on it and will have it up in just a bit.

Around now is the time to plant Spring Wheat for a July harvest, and I have a feeling farmers aren't out there tilling fields at the moment. If things finish up before April then it won't be that much of an impact. I doubt this is going to be over by then, though.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Ukrainian farmers are too busy harvesting a bumper crop of Russian tanks, it seems.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    So, regarding the Russian population, there are people protesting, it's just that the Putin suppression machine is... efficient:
    The ability to criticise public policy in Russia, particularly its invasion of Ukraine, is narrowing, with some 12,700 people unlawfully detained in anti-war protests, the top U.N. human rights official Michelle Bachelet said on Tuesday.

https://www.reuters.com/world/un-rights-boss-decries-clampdown-arrests-anti-war-protesters-russia-2022-03-08/

e: Reuters is an international news agency owned by Thomson Reuters. Reuters is one of the largest news agencies in the world.

thatassemblyguy on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Footage of that Russian convoy being blow to the bits by the "new" Ukrainian air force to the tune of "Du Hast" forthcoming, one can hope.

• Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/russian-stock-market-halt-extended-ruble-trading-to-reopen-1.1734379

To the surprise of nobody, the crash of the Russian stock market has, again, been pushed back. Trading will remain closed tomorrow.

How is this tenable? I mean, really... For the entirety of the war, will they just keep markets closed indefinitely?

What happens if they don't open them? Who says they need to? This feels very unprecedented, and I don't know how any investor doesn't immediately flee at the first chance the markets open.

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Geth, close the thread.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative ceres. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.