As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] Thread: Totes!

Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho HoDisconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
edited February 2023 in Debate and/or Discourse
Rodgers gets immunised against the poorhouse.

Wilson gets his trade (to Denver).

Calvin Ridley should have just engaged in unwarranted violence.

Santa Claustrophobia on

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Commenter at LGM posted the apparent details of the Wilson trade.
    2 first round, 2 second round, a 5th round, Drew Lock, Shelby Harris, Noah Fant (former 1st rounder so I guess that kinda counts as 3 first round picks + the rest). Broncos get Wilson & a 4th round pick.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    So a bunch of picks we'll waste on guys who don't produce, if history is much of an indication

Cursed idea: Pete/Schneider attempt to trade all that for Kyler Murray, convinced he's not the prima donna washout he appears to be.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Deshaun Watson is still out there. Along with Wentz, Tagovailoa, Garoppolo, and Darnold.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    knitdan wrote: »
    So a bunch of picks we'll waste on guys who don't produce, if history is much of an indication

Cursed idea: Pete/Schneider attempt to trade all that for Kyler Murray, convinced he's not the prima donna washout he appears to be.

Hey now, to be fair, the Broncos could also be losers.

If Wilson doesn't immediately gel, or gets hurt again, they could easily piss away a year of his contract. And there's apparently only two years on his deal?

Not saying it's a certainty, but it could absolutely be worse on the Broncos side.

EDIT: And with the draft picks, the Broncos aren't going to replace departures as easily, and could hit a wall sooner or later.

MorganV on
    What I find hysterical is a number of Very Smart Football Dudes* have spent the entire offseason going "the Seahwaks aren't trading Wilson, end of story" every time it comes up

*ok mostly I hear it from John Clayton

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    What I find hysterical is a number of Very Smart Football Dudes* have spent the entire offseason going "the Seahwaks aren't trading Wilson, end of story" every time it comes up

*ok mostly I hear it from John Clayton

I swear like literally last friday they were saying they weren't going to the dreaded vote of confidence.

And yeah magic beans all these picks will be swapped for 38 5th rounders and oh man this is genius let me show you why...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Pour one out for Mina Kimes today.

to be fair to John Clayton, a big part of his reasoning was "there's no way the Seahawks choose to take a $25 million cap hit" and then they inexplicably did.

• GyralGyral Registered User regular
    I wonder how many of those picks are going to be used on offensive linemen.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    We don't need them anymore since we no longer have a Qb to keep happy and safe

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I find the gambling topic distressing. The NFL is full of hypocrisy, but promoting gambling isn't an example. Gambling is legal, there is nothing wrong with making revenue from it, and it requires the players to abstain to make it legitimate. That's not hypocrisy. Besides which, the salary cap goes up with the increased income stream, so it's not like the players aren't wetting their beaks on the venture.

They put a team in Vegas

Unless they have proof players are affecting the outcome of games to benefit a gambling position, what players do on their own time is none of the league's business.

They put a team in Vegas

Unless they have proof players are affecting the outcome of games to benefit a gambling position, what players do on their own time is none of the league's business.

No, it's not. This stuff is agreed upon and ratified by the NFLPA. Maintaining the integrity of the sport is literally the players' business. It's not even just the players, no NFL personnel are allowed to gamble on football. Until the draft becomes compulsory, nobody is in the NFL against their wishes. Part of entering that world is giving up your right to gamble on games.

edited March 2022
    Lol ok dude

Like every damn thing in the league now is geared toward gambling except oh no it's the worst thing ever that a a player might participate in a way that doesn't even effect the integrity of the game. A player involved in gambling in and of itself has no effect on the integrity of the game; there needs to be more than that before I start wringing my hands over this.

knitdan on
    Everything "outside" the league is geared towards gambling. Everything "in" the league is geared to allow it to be gambled upon. That's how gambling works.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I find the gambling topic distressing. The NFL is full of hypocrisy, but promoting gambling isn't an example. Gambling is legal, there is nothing wrong with making revenue from it, and it requires the players to abstain to make it legitimate. That's not hypocrisy. Besides which, the salary cap goes up with the increased income stream, so it's not like the players aren't wetting their beaks on the venture.

Gambling is legal in the same way that tobacco is.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Adam Schefter reports that the Hawks are releasing Bobby Wagner, in case anyone had any doubts they're now in full rebuilding mode. Last of the old LOB guys. End of an era.

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Re: Rodgers: Packers fan here. I wish they had traded him and made 2022 a rebuild year. Cap is going to go up significantly in 2023 and many years after that. I think Rodgers' highest trade value was this year. NFC North was going to be a dumpster fire anyways, might as well retool/rebuild during that time. But then again, after this past season's shenanigans by him, and another year of shitting the bed in the playoffs, maybe I'm just ready for a change, even if it means not having a HoF QB anymore.

camo_sig2.png
    Lol ok dude

Like every damn thing in the league now is geared toward gambling except oh no it's the worst thing ever that a a player might participate in a way that doesn't even effect the integrity of the game. A player involved in gambling in and of itself has no effect on the integrity of the game; there needs to be more than that before I start wringing my hands over this.

Down this route is billy cole killing himself in the end zone Knitdan. Do you really want friday night to be a great night for football?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    The Last Boyscout is not a documentary Preacher

The Last Boyscout is not a documentary Preacher

Well not yet OBVIOUSLY!

But just wait for the rams to change their name...

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Heir wrote: »
    Re: Rodgers: Packers fan here. I wish they had traded him and made 2022 a rebuild year. Cap is going to go up significantly in 2023 and many years after that. I think Rodgers' highest trade value was this year. NFC North was going to be a dumpster fire anyways, might as well retool/rebuild during that time. But then again, after this past season's shenanigans by him, and another year of shitting the bed in the playoffs, maybe I'm just ready for a change, even if it means not having a HoF QB anymore.

Timing. It would be unconscionable to fold when the NFC is almost completely out of elite QB's. It's a free pass to the playoffs for at least 2 more years.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    So the Broncos play the NFC West and also the Panthers (old Hawks rival), and the Ravens (as well as the AFC South and the Jets lol)

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    lolololol, Colts just traded Wentz to Washington for 2 3rd round picks (maaaaybe some other stuff too?) AND they're paying the full $28mm due to Wentz this year

Colts are trading QB Carson Wentz to Washington for a package of packs that is thought to include two third-round picks, sources tell ESPN.

Washington is paying the full $28 million due to Carson Wentz this year, which includes a $5 million roster bonus due next week.

From now on, it's Commander Carson.

(Adam Schefter occasionally takes his nose out of an NFL owner's ass to work for for ESPN)

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I feel comfortable saying he's the reason the Colts didn't do better. That puts him in Kirk Cousins Tier

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Cousins is a vastly better quarterback than Wentz is

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me

Is that like saying cat shit smells vastly better than dog shit?

God i love the part of the offseason where we have heated arguments over the same dozen mid-to-low-tier QBs and people try to convince themselves that one or two of them are actually good.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    So the Broncos play the NFC West and also the Panthers (old Hawks rival), and the Ravens (as well as the AFC South and the Jets lol)

kinda looking forward to watching the Broncos next season ngl. RDub was always an exciting QB to watch even when the Seahawks were not putting out exciting teams.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

Wentz sucks but you would have to cut one of his legs off for Cousins to qualify for that statement

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    Wentz
    Cousins
    Tannehill
    Tua
    Jameis
    The Jareds
    Daniel Jones
    Garopalo

Who am I missing

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I give Heineke a pass because he wasn't supposed to be more than a backup last year until Fitzmagic got hurt.

Add Fitz to that list even though I do love his beard.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    God i love the part of the offseason where we have heated arguments over the same dozen mid-to-low-tier QBs and people try to convince themselves that one or two of them are actually good.

Yeah look at how much the broncos just paid for that c tier qb...

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Mitch is going to get offers like he's on the top of that list.

You'll notice I didn't put Minshew on that list but that's only because he is my boyfriend and I'm gonna convince him to go play for Seattle

Doesn't sound like something you would do to somebody you love

Doesn't sound like something you would do to somebody you love

He played for the cougs and the jags right? It literally can not get worse.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I mean he could end up in Buffalo