As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy] 16 Arrives June 22nd!

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I found a new one recently - sometimes Chainsaw's damage just wouldn't be applied? I would melee attack an enemy in Zozo with Celes, and she'd kill it with around 400 damage, but then Edgar would chainsaw another one for around 1200 and it wouldn't die?

Just bonkers.

I've also seen some very weird animation/action desyncs on autobattle or with battle speed high. Could be the same issue.

The chainsaw thing maybe an animation thing? I remember chainsaw being inconsistent, and if it did the masked version it was an instant kill, but that could be evaded.

This happened all the time with the mask version. Sometimes auto kill or sometimes nothing, I figured it was luck.

Of course now that I think about it. Having a random roll for the mask attack and then another random roll for the actual success feels like bad design (or a bug)?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    This was definitely Edgar using the spinning blade, dealing damage (or at least popping up damage numbers), and the enemy surviving what ought to be enough damage to kill it. This wasn't a one-off, either, it can be replicated.

Do we know if the GBA Espers are in the game? I know that some "extra content" like the bonus dungeons didn't make it in, but I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade Odin to Raiden. If Cactaur isn't an Esper then Odin is the only magicite with a speed bonus.

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    Do we know if the GBA Espers are in the game? I know that some "extra content" like the bonus dungeons didn't make it in, but I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade Odin to Raiden. If Cactaur isn't an Esper then Odin is the only magicite with a speed bonus.

They are not in the game.

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    They aren't obtainable, but seems people found them in the code of like, more than one of the pixel remasters.

Seems likely that stuff will be added later, and you know it gonna be dlc.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    On the one hand, ugh. On the other hand, it would be nice if these versions had all the GBA content, just to actually be definitive versions of the games. So I'm conflicted.

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    A pixel remaster modder has proven it's possible to add extremely lengthy descriptions to the now-empty textbox where a description for each Rage could be. It seems a Rage description mod is underway.

All Rage traits and moves are known and well-documented in FAQs, it's just a matter of coming up with a style guide of sorts to fit it all in a consistent, complete, and easily read fashion Edit: Said style guide is already under discussion.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I’m amazed at some of the things modders have been able to do.

Like the sprite set mods from gba/snes or FFRK. Don’t like the new sprites and want a really good alternative set? Mods got you covered.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    The pixel remasters are made with Unity, a super well-known and free engine with a wealth of free development tools available, well-understood structures, formats, conventions, and so on. It's arguably the most readily modded game engine in existence right now.

While modding still takes effort, using Unity means modding can happen right away, rather than having to wait potentially years for someone to figure out how a proprietary engine works and then see if tools ever come of that

IceBurner on
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Rage descriptions would be very helpful. There are some important factors to each one that would be really useful in the menu:
    1. The name of the rage's special action. Every rage is a 50% chance to Attack, or do the action associated with the rage.
    2. Elemental affinities. Each Rage can give Gau elemental weaknesses, resistances, or absorptions, depending on the monster in question. The same grid used for armors would be useful there.
    3. Status effects. Some Rages give Gau statuses, based on the monster. For example, raging a flying enemy tends to make him levitate. And raging an undead enemy turns him undead as well, as if he was wearing the Lich Ring (Meaning he gets harmed by healing magic, healed by Poison-element damage, and fully restored by the Death spell)

Enlong on
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Rage descriptions would be very helpful. There are some important factors to each one that would be really useful in the menu:
    1. The name of the rage's special action. Every rage is a 50% chance to Attack, or do the action associated with the rage.
    2. Elemental affinities. Each Rage can give Gau elemental weaknesses, resistances, or absorptions, depending on the monster in question. The same grid used for armors would be useful there.
    3. Status effects. Some Rages give Gau statuses, based on the monster. For example, raging a flying enemy tends to make him levitate. And raging an undead enemy turns him undead as well, as if he was wearing the Lich Ring (Meaning he gets harmed by healing magic, healed by Poison-element damage, and fully restored by the Death spell)
    Serious and well-considered talk about how best to present the info has been underway since before I posted about it.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Back in the day, I just wanted a way to sort or favorite the ones that are actually useful

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Stray Cat
    Yojimbo

---
    Traveler maybe
    White Wind
    Everything else.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Whoa, that looks fucking rad.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Back in the day, I just wanted a way to sort or favorite the ones that are actually useful

Fun fact:
    Final Fantasy 6's sort function is basically what causes the sketch glitch.

In virtually all circumstances, the glitch just errors out without causes any real effects at all. You need to specifically have a spell that targets one and only one enemy only in the 28th slot of the lead character's magic. Most black magic can target multiple, and most white/support magic targets allies by default, so it's limited to just a few things like Imp or Mute. And wouldn't you know it, but sorting by Magic Order 3 puts Mute in slot 28.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Woolie of WoolieVS (formerly of the Super Best Friends) is doing a Let's Play of the FF6 remaster, and he's playing blind (his co-star played the original.) Not only is it great watching Woolie enjoy it all, but I'm listening to all the upgraded soundtrack. They are all so amazing. Please tell me this is getting a console release, because I would happily buy this game like a fourth time.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »

hmmmm. Non turn-based games are just much less appealing to me nowadays...

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »

hmmmm. Non turn-based games are just much less appealing to me nowadays...

Playing Triangle Strategy lately has made me miss when RPGs weren't all action-RPGs of some form.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    It looks like it has a heavy Valkyria Chronicles vibe?

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Its hard to tell from the trailer, but it looks like the character design is along the lines of the 'less-anime fantasy anime' look that I prefer, which is nice.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Stray Cat
    Yojimbo

---
    Traveler maybe
    White Wind
    Everything else.

Early on, there's the Aspirian for Gigavolt (lightning spell only a bit weaker than Thundaga, and it appears in the Serpent Trench), Litwor Chicken for Quake (extremely powerful spell even in endgame, and can heal the party with Gaia Gear equipped), Lesser Lopros (Fireball), Guard Leader (Wind Slash), and Destroyer (Reraise).

And late game, there's always Magic Pot (Curaga, plus Gau absorbs just about every element).

• Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Its hard to tell from the trailer, but it looks like the character design is along the lines of the 'less-anime fantasy anime' look that I prefer, which is nice.

Yeah, I think they look pretty great. The main characters at least appearing in their young 20s instead of mid-teens is another plus.
    9ldd33mur16j.jpg

n0kba7apw75x.jpg

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Woolie of WoolieVS (formerly of the Super Best Friends) is doing a Let's Play of the FF6 remaster, and he's playing blind (his co-star played the original.) Not only is it great watching Woolie enjoy it all, but I'm listening to all the upgraded soundtrack. They are all so amazing. Please tell me this is getting a console release, because I would happily buy this game like a fourth time.

Same. Don't care what console either, just so i can play it on my sweet ass TV and sound system. Switch would be preferred so I can play it at work on breaks, but I'm not greedy.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    New demo for SOP out btw. Seems the really upped the ai for your teammates.

Some people are saying its a bit too easy now but its also the first area of the game and there's an extra hard difficulty not on the demo.

But since I'll be coming off of elden ring I actually won't mind more of a traditional action rpg difficulty. Maybe now I'll play on hard instead of normal though. Enough to die sometimes but no big walls.

• Options

Yeah, I think they look pretty great. The main characters at least appearing in their young 20s instead of mid-teens is another plus.
    9ldd33mur16j.jpg

n0kba7apw75x.jpg

And yet... there's something I don't like about these character models, and I can't quite put into words what it is. The textures maybe? They look a bit too plasticky, I'm getting like... B-tier Mobile Game, outsourced CGI vibes.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Is the guy in the front of the artwork supposed to be the guy in the far right of the screenshot? The armor says yes, but the face and hair say... possibly but not really? And it's reinforcing the "outsourced CGI" vibe.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    New demo for SOP out btw. Seems the really upped the ai for your teammates.

Some people are saying its a bit too easy now but its also the first area of the game and there's an extra hard difficulty not on the demo.

But since I'll be coming off of elden ring I actually won't mind more of a traditional action rpg difficulty. Maybe now I'll play on hard instead of normal though. Enough to die sometimes but no big walls.

Full progress carries over to release and it's got co-op available.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    There's a very wide gulf in difficulty between boss fights and everything else. But you can also change the difficulty at anytime.

Idk if this is a nioh thing too, but the whole 'parrying an enemy reduces your own stagger gauge as well' will never not feel very counterintuitive.

• Options
    I wonder if the visuals of DioField were in part inspired by Fantasian, in particular the "Diorama-style battle scenes".

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    All I want to know is if fantasy souls is fun and dumb.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Can't wait to fuck Chaos up!

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

9ldd33mur16j.jpg

n0kba7apw75x.jpg

And yet... there's something I don't like about these character models, and I can't quite put into words what it is. The textures maybe? They look a bit too plasticky, I'm getting like... B-tier Mobile Game, outsourced CGI vibes.

They look like action figures, yeah.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    they look Extremely Ninja Gaiden which makes sense given the developer

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Andy Joe wrote: »

I love this. It's dumb and brilliant.

• Options

It still feels like it's taking itself seriously, to me. And I super can't take a lot of what I see of the game seriously.....

Steam profile
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

It still feels like it's taking itself seriously, to me. And I super can't take a lot of what I see of the game seriously.....

There are two possibilities here:
    1) They intended it to be funny and it's funny. They did a good job at writing it.
    2) They didn't intend it to be funny but did slam dunk funny jokes every time. They still did a good job writing it, just by accident.

It is also possible that the bulk of the game is nowhere near as amusing as the previews, but that seems sort of unlikely as each new thing continues to be very funny.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Why are the graphics so pixelated? I’m on series x and chose fidelity, and my god it’s so pixelated and blurry my eyes have to adjust

It’s really bad, even for a game built for last gen, it’s atrocious looking. Definitely not getting it if it’s in this state at launch

Seriously what the hell, it’s so pixelated and low resolution. What a mess

I’d be up for playing this but I’m so glad they released a demo because it looks so graphically bad it’s unplayable for me. There’s no excuse for it to look this bad

As far as I can tell the fidelity resolution mode does nothing to change the visual at all. Is it even working in the demo? All it does is lower the fps

Prohass on
  • Options

There are two possibilities here:
    1) They intended it to be funny and it's funny. They did a good job at writing it.
    2) They didn't intend it to be funny but did slam dunk funny jokes every time. They still did a good job writing it, just by accident.

It is also possible that the bulk of the game is nowhere near as amusing as the previews, but that seems sort of unlikely as each new thing continues to be very funny.

The only way I see it as funny is if I'm laughing at it, at like, how bad it is. That's amusing I'm moderation for clips, but not for actually playing a game. Some people like that though, just not me

Steam profile
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, that is in no way well-written. It's clunky and... stupid. Nobody goes around talking about what they're "hunting" for or overexplains how somebody is making their crystal vibrate. Just the typical clumsy dialogue every jRPG seems to have these days.

The only marginally amusing part is "hey, we've all got one of the same things, let's be bros", which definitely happens.

This discussion has been closed.