As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CYOA] A Hike Across the Rainlands

Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
edited March 2022 in Critical Failures
bwc53jj206iw.jpeg

———
Things have gotten a little heavy lately. That was the reason; it was all anyone should need to go for a hike. A hike is uncomplicated—uncomplicates—just movement and respiration, use of senses, of being in the world.

Thick as mud through these lean years and the bounty before, three friends, each very different but at once united, stand together before the brief dip and steady rise into the Rainlands.

“Nice day for it.”, one says to the other two, tipping fat droplets from their hat.

———

Welcome to A Hike Across the Rainlands!

This is a Choose Your Own Adventure (CYOA) game about going on a hike. Rather than a roster of players that are expected to turn up on time, you are all participants, be it once only or often—that’s up to you. Every day or so I’ll post an update that ends with a few options. Together by voting and dropping fun ideas you decide what happens next. Think of it like being a voice or impulse inside the characters head.

It’s not my intention to go especially deep with this one, so any game mechanic I cook up will be explained in advance, but for now there is no rolling dice or moving parts. It’s just a story without a break peddle and a lot of hands on the wheel!

Let’s get to it!

———

Who are our three friends?

Give me a name and a description of a character, as broad or as detailed as you please.

I will arbitrarily choose the finest three to become our protagonists.

———

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6u7UZVOPKg

Endless_Serpents on

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Boggles the toad.
    Entirely over prepared, or at least with a limitless supply of biscuits.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Stamps the dodo
    The town's communications expert is usually found writing long correspondence to officials far and wide. He promised his friends to take a break and enjoy nature, but carrier pigeons manage to find him wherever. They deliver instant distractions that just can't seem to wait for him to return. In his backpack: paper and quills and some letters to deliver.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Welp. Since I couldn’t manage three participants I’ll leave this until Monday night to make a start.

5dgcjadkmzmt.jpeg

Have a nice Sunday everyone!

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Chuft the pixie.
    Given to excited outbursts, but trying to be better. Perhaps a long walk away from the stresses of pixie society is just the thing to sooth her mind?

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Lily the tiger.

She was once the most important person around having developed a new method of manufacturing snibblets that revolutionized the industry. Lately though people don't like snibblets as much as they used to and she feels like she lost her way among the brahmins of high society.

So she set aside her power heels for a pair of good boots and just started walking. Every week it's a new place. Is she discovering something new? Or just running from her past?

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Mica,

A grey tailed fox. Always pushing themselves. Another mile, another night. Climbing Gear? Snowshoes? There's always a new challenge over the next hill and they intend to overcome it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    The other characters you have crafted will make an appearance, to be sure, but I’ve settled on Lily as our third pal.

n21jjb34l5rx.jpeg
    18u3tqw9k8cs.jpeg

Thank you all for pitching in!

———
    Above them, the sky blushed. The clouds still drooped with the blue-grey underbellies of rain, but were pink on top, like cheap candy floss. The distant sprinkles of snowy peaks reflected both as the wind pushed the clouds across the land, but the hills were steadfastly green with only the rare pop of purple heather. Rocks that had rolled in some million years prior were grey, or else layered in a dozen lines of ruddy browns.

Sheets of rain blanket all this, giving it a glossy sheen, a vague dreaminess that feels oddly cosy. It’s not cold out. The mud squelches under foot. It’s respectable for it to be raining on the hike—you wouldn’t want to just go out if it was fair weather, that’s just a walk really.

“Glad you could make it!”, Stamps calls to Lily as she strolls up the hill to the waiting pair.

“Where to cats?”, she replies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsJwQjWS48o

———

Time to vote!
    To vote, all you’ll need to do is post the corresponding letter—feel free to add any additional thoughts you’ve got on the story too. After a day I’ll count them up, and the option with the most votes will continue the narrative.

A. Go to Bonk Tor, famous rock formation just up the next hill, renowned for being the final resting place of a king, back when people had those for some reason.
    B. Go look at a nearby stream that is forming in the rain; less famous, but still perfectly good.
    C. Just, like, sit here a moment.
    X. You tell me. Anyone can vote for your idea, but to do so they’ll have to quote it!

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Oh and since it’s raining Lily is wearing one of those incredibly glaring, thin rainmacks over her clothes I have decided.

dhpmqm5p5zke.jpeg

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    C.

• Options
    A.

• Options
    A
    You don't start a perfectly good hike by stopping.
    Got to burn off some energy first, and then maybe look at things.

• Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    A

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    B. Got to appreciate a rain drop and how it becomes a river.

Also, omg your depiction of Lily is even better than my imagination, bravo!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    A. I'm not sure what a king was, but it seems like as good a place to go as any.

• Options
    A.
    Maybe visiting a famous grave brings good luck.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    B - no gods or kings, only nature turning solid soil into a channel for the mightiest of elements

with A Peaceful Time Endless Serpents got me hooked on Kiltro, looking forward to discovering some new musical favorites here

Delzhand on
  • Options
    savg911f17se.jpeg

———
    Dancing around the rock formation, Boggles chants, “Bonk Tor! Bonk Tor!”

“Mhm. It’s a pretty good tor.”, Lily sidles up to Stamps and continues, “Full disclosure? I didn’t know what a tor was and I didn’t want to be the one to ask.”

“No worries. You know, they say if you walk around it three times you can speak to the ghost of the king.”

Boggles is already half way up the rocks when he hears this.

He squints, then croaks, “I heard if you pee off the long bit at the top you win a prize.”

“I don’t think anyone but you has ever said that.”

A serious, wide frown appears on Boggles face as he states, “Legends gotta start somewhere chief.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY8V8gU5cnc

———

First, before we vote; each of you tell me one fact about the ancient king. All will be true.

Next, throw me a vote!
    A. Walk around the Tor three times.
    B. Boggles should pee off it.
    C. Look for clues about the king… like, shouldn’t their be writing on the rock or a grave shape in the earth?
    D. Press on down the hill and have a chat about life.
    X. Think of something else.

• Options
    B

When given the opportunity to pee off something, take it.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    X
    Everyone has to go up

And then, biscuits

discrider on
  • Options
    X. Rock the Tor, just a little.
    To see what happens.

• Options
    The ancient king was a king of the beasts of the land, the birds of the air and the fish of the water.
    discrider wrote: »

X
    Everyone has to go up

And then, biscuits

• Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    X
    Everyone has to go up

And then, biscuits

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    The ancient king was depicted as a hart with a 3rd eye.

--
    X
    Everyone has to go up

And then, biscuits

• Options
    Oh, I forgot a King Fact!

The King can not be seen directly, you can only see the king in your peripheral vision, or at great distance, or at night.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Oh.
    Just King things..

They say when he held council, he would wear a mask, and his most trusted advisor was responsible for discretely waking him when a matter actually required his attention.
    Most matters being sorted by his various officials instead.

discrider on
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Well I was going to say BEEEEE

but!
    X
    Everyone has to go up

And then, biscuits

is better

P.S.> Love the soundtrack

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Biscuits.”, Boggles says italically.

His pals give him approving faux-snooty nods of appreciation as he opens a packet of Nibdobs (the ones coated in chocolate, naturally). The top of the tor makes for a fine snack zone, almost perfectly flat and as the day draws towards noon the atmosphere is warm and welcoming even as sheets of rain dance across the landscape.

For the record: Stamps isn’t the best climber, but Boggles hopped right up and Lily bounded with an ever surprising display of strength. Stamps doesn’t know they’re not the best climber though, and no one feels cause to tell him. Besides, what’s more important is their ability to cling on a fast moving stone sled, which becomes incredibly important just a moment later—the weight of the trio has send the topmost rock hurtling down the hill!

Boggles little hat flies off, but he doesn’t care, he’s too busy laughing—his pals not so much, but Lily has enough mind to catch it in her fangs as she clamps her claws down into the rock.

“Wow! Like flying!”, is all Stamps can manage to shout against the wind of gravitational velocity!

0uyvjw92lceg.jpeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilw4v__YT-U&list=RDGMEMYH9CUrFO7CfLJpaD7UR85wVMilw4v__YT-U&start_radio=1

———

Biscuits eaten on the hike so far:
    Boggles — 2
    Stamps — 1
    Lily — 1

———

Where should the trio steer this rock towards?
    A. The Pine Bundle: A sleek, zero calorie forest of just three evergreen trees.
    B. The Way Shack. A tiny shack made of local wood, built for nobody in particular.
    C. Lake Smudge. An embarrassed cartographer dug this lake after mistakingly following a map that said there was a lake there
    X. You tell me!

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    C!

Lets try to skip this stone!

• Options
    Aye, that's a C for me

• Options
    Also maybe at the top of each story post a small portrait and name of the characters? It would help especially a few pages in to help me visualize things.

• Options
    A. Pine needles are soft, right? Landing in a big pile of pine needles sounds like it might be okay.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    X. Deploy Stamps as air brake
    Artist depiction:
    cca4t4adwax8.png

Or barring that
    A: Lone Pine

discrider on
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    X
    Despite our protagonists feeling of agency, the laws of gravity and velocity proof unbending. The rock slides straight down and comes to a halt in a muddy pool in a meadow further down hill.

Aldo on
  • Options
    C. Skip the stone!

Also, I realize I couldn't read and didn't see you requested a fact about the king. So in case the king come up again, here it is:

He was known for a moment in a great battle when he was demonstrating his great strength how far he could skip a stone. Legend has it that it skipped around the lake and back again promising a great victory in battle!

• Options
    swthdxajtsrs.jpeg

———
    “On the bright side, that went a lot better than it could have.”, Stamps surmised.

With the trio’s dripping bags slung over her shoulder, Lily clambered up a muddy bank. Her expression said different.

Stamps sat up from the crushed reeds and gave her a hand. Meanwhile, Boggles busied themselves with a quick swim. Boggles always claimed he could have been a contender, a real long distance swimming champ, if only his dad hadn't pushed him into the family business. He took a big gulp of air and dived.

“Hello there! I’ve just stopped by to see how you folks are doing because you just launched a monument into this lake, no other reason.”, a voice jolts out from behind a bush, “I’m Chuft and I am notably very trustworthy.”

Lily pounced, leaving Stamps to catch the bags as she all but uprooted the bush from the wet earth. There was no one to be seen.

From Lily’s head, the voice emerged again, “So yeah but actually, I was thinking you could help me…”

Stamps (from beneath the bags) replies cheerily, “Well. I’m in. I love solving problems.”

Lily gestures to the universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc-pIH0CBxM

Chuft (the pixie), then goes on to say:

“The thing is, over by the ______, there is a big scary _____ guarding a _____, which I need because ______! So if you three could just ______?”

———

Today’s vote is in two parts.
    First, fill in the gaps in Chuft’s description.
    Second:
    A. Yeah, let’s do it!
    B. Absolutely not. We’re hiking. (Say where; just make it up!)

The winning description will be decided by a dice roll using Geth, our impartial robot comrade, so don’t worry about impressing me, tailor it to your tastes.

8wj3xa1w0xt2.jpeg

• Options
    You can change your vote around before my next post, which will be around this time tomorrow. Hit me with your best mad-lib!

• Options
    “The thing is, over by the obsidian shard, there is a big scary kelpie guarding a portal stone, which I need because I would very much like to one-up my no-good sibling Wuft and proof that I can steal the most magical items! So if you three could just distract the creature?”

B! Absolutely not. We're hiking to lake Toolatoe.

• Options
    “The thing is, over by the ______, there is a big scary _____ guarding a _____, which I need because ______! So if you three could just ______?”

solitary pine
    slice of coronation cake
    I'm on my way to the coronation of the New Lady of Winter
    Distract the avatar, for just a minute...

Vote: A! Chuft is, as she said, notably trustworthy.

• Options
    The thing is, over by the frog, there is a big scary swan guarding a clutch of eggs, which I need because I haven't had breakfast yet and I'm starving!
    So if you three could just move out of the way?

B. Absolutely not. We’re hiking swimming here