As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Archery Thread: Post

13»

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    100 arrows in 3 days, my back is asking me wtf.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

That's a good volume!

And it's a good thing your back is feeling it instead of your shoulder!

I had inclination to shoot this weekend and it's apparently going to snow all day Saturday, so I won't be able to get to the range

Shooting in the basement again
    B)

• Options

That's a good volume!

And it's a good thing your back is feeling it instead of your shoulder!

I had inclination to shoot this weekend and it's apparently going to snow all day Saturday, so I won't be able to get to the range

Shooting in the basement again
    B)

Saving grace of compounds is the letoff. At full draw I'm only holding like 15lbs.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Spent some money and bought a new thumb release. Im hoping its dry enough today to try out. I greatly prefer this stule to the wrist wrap style releases.

It also makes a great fidget toy.

x8ud3xvibr3z.jpeg

webguy20 on
  • Options
    That's a cool release!

I did shoot a few arrows in my basement yesterday

kxjlnpvrya61.jpg

I need to figure out why the fletched arrows group nicely like that and the un-fletched ones hit with the nock (tail) end so damn high

Probably nock height on the string, maybe I'm dropping my bow arm too soon, maybe both

Where the spinning smiley when you need them?

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    that's some good grouping right there.

you should get a ballistics gel dummy with all the blood and bones and shit in it like they have on Forged in Fire

I'm sure it's not too gruesome, having a torso filled with arrows in your basement.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    that's some good grouping right there.

you should get a ballistics gel dummy with all the blood and bones and shit in it like they have on Forged in Fire

I'm sure it's not too gruesome, having a torso filled with arrows in your basement.

That would be funny

I keep thinking "I should sell this gorgeous bow, it's too heavy and I have bad form and am not in proper bone supporting bone (winky smiley goes here) alignment, I should buy a lighter weight cheaper bow

Maybe I will do that at this year's archery rendezvous

But that also means replacing all my arrows, because they won't be right for a lighter draw weight bow, and that's a big expense I cannot afford unless I get a dirt cheap bow

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    That's a cool release!

I did shoot a few arrows in my basement yesterday

kxjlnpvrya61.jpg

I need to figure out why the fletched arrows group nicely like that and the un-fletched ones hit with the nock (tail) end so damn high

Probably nock height on the string, maybe I'm dropping my bow arm too soon, maybe both

Where the spinning smiley when you need them?

Nice group! I always worry about shooting single groups and banging arrows together versus something like a 5 spot.

One day im going to have to try something thats not compound. You make it look like a ton of fun and its a whole unique set of skills.

• Options
    Forgot to get my peep site tied off and it popped out of the string today. Woopsy. Gotta go back to the proshop for final setup anyways.

• Options
    Ugh that's a pain!

I fletched a couple arrows the other day, but I forgot to take a picture.

I really enjoy fletching arrows. Some day, I'm going to buy a cresting set up and paint arrows.

https://youtu.be/nPXq60hVRDU

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Ugh that's a pain!

I fletched a couple arrows the other day, but I forgot to take a picture.

I really enjoy fletching arrows. Some day, I'm going to buy a cresting set up and paint arrows.

https://youtu.be/nPXq60hVRDU

That's neat! Is there a purpose besides looking cool?

I'm currently on a journey to find spare parts for 10 year old target archery sights, which let me tell you is a pain in the butt. They just don't exist online, and the mfg. websites are sparse to non-existent. I've found some email addresses though that didn't come back as non-deliverable, so here's hoping I hear back next week.

Here's what I'm going to use for my Target bow. I bought it for my brother like 10 years ago, and he shot it a bit but its been in storage for like 8 years so I've dug it back out. Still like brand new. I need to get the peep swapped out, a replacement cable slide installed, the sight thumb screw then set up the sight and rest so everything is in alignment. Its a 50# Diamond Black Ice. I think I'm going to set up the 70# camo bow for hunting.

My wife showed interest in shooting the 40# bow, so that would be awesome if she got interested in it. It would be fun to have a new activity to do together.

fv3glv4ue1sd.jpg
    xypy8se6a2bd.jpg

webguy20 on
  • Options
    That's a cool-looking bow!

Yeah, cresting arrows is just another way of customizing your arrows.

I went to a 3-d shoot today. My Dad drove over and shot the course with me. It was good time.

My accuracy was a little iffy, but I didn't lose any arrows, so that's a win for the first shoot of the year.

• Options
    That's a cool-looking bow!

Yeah, cresting arrows is just another way of customizing your arrows.

I went to a 3-d shoot today. My Dad drove over and shot the course with me. It was good time.

My accuracy was a little iffy, but I didn't lose any arrows, so that's a win for the first shoot of the year.

Not losing arrows in 3d is a solid accomplishment. Any interesting target placements?

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    Hello friends! I've had my own fancy bow now for about 9 days and in that time I've gone to shoot it four times (would be more but I rent an apartment, hah).

https://imgur.com/gallery/4X9JFi6

So far so good, I appreciate how much I can fiddle with this thing. I managed to place third in the last class of my Intermediate Archery course that ended with a tournament despite only having it for a week.

• Options
    @webguy20
    There were a couple tricky placements, shooting between trees or at deceptive angles upgill or downhill. They had dueling bucks, which was neat, and they also made a hare target into a jackalope, which was funny.

@user that's a cool bow! Is it an ILF? Could you please remind which riser and limbs you have?

• Options
    It's ILF for sure. After a whole lot of waiting the shop ended up cutting me a deal on a 25" Gillo GT riser, it's pretty neat, main points are that it's asymmetrically designed, a lot bigger on the bottom than the top, it has pockets for barebow weights and the limb pockets sit on top of neoprene springs for dampening and more # adjustments than traditional tillers alone.

I think Jake Kaminski has a video on the 27" version.

I'm using some Galaxy Black Star limbs, carbon with bamboo core, 30# mediums.

• Options
    That's awesome! I would love to get into the barebow scene at some point.

I'm still waffling on sanding my bow grip or selling it. It has a palm swell and doesn't fit my hand well.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    does anybody do crossbows anymore, or is it just bows now?

crossbows are cool, I think.

• Options
    does anybody do crossbows anymore, or is it just bows now?

crossbows are cool, I think.

They're extremely popular for deer hunting in the USA.

They also shoot their bolts with enough power to shoot completely through most targets, so most archery clubs don't allow them.

• Options
    Some states have restrictions too. In Oregon you cant use them to hunt unless you’re physically unable to bow hunt.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    It has been way too fucking hot this summer to get any work done on bows, but I did go out stump shooting a few weeks ago just to walk the back area of my land.

also I may or may not have broken out my plains style bow (like the ones used in Prey) and strung it up and dicked around in the backyard this weekend after I watched Prey

I keep thinking I want a good fall project to be a set of two dozen rivercane arrows, feather fletched (we got turkeys here), a dozen broadheads and a dozen field points.

Because I don't know about you all but I suck at finding arrows

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    It has been way too fucking hot this summer to get any work done on bows, but I did go out stump shooting a few weeks ago just to walk the back area of my land.

also I may or may not have broken out my plains style bow (like the ones used in Prey) and strung it up and dicked around in the backyard this weekend after I watched Prey

I keep thinking I want a good fall project to be a set of two dozen rivercane arrows, feather fletched (we got turkeys here), a dozen broadheads and a dozen field points.

For the carbon/aluminum market I always thought nocks with an RFID tag would be awesome. Get close with your phone and you'd be able to ping and find it. I've seen them with lights in them before that flash when shot.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

For the carbon/aluminum market I always thought nocks with an RFID tag would be awesome. Get close with your phone and you'd be able to ping and find it. I've seen them with lights in them before that flash when shot.

oh yeah anyone that bow hunts uses lighted nocks. The RFID thing is a cool idea. I'll have to look that up to see if anyone did it.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Hey here's the thread!

I went to the eastern traditional archery rendezvous in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania a couple weeks ago. It was a great time, as always. There were five or six 3d courses and a couple dozen bowyers and vendors

I ran into some acquaintances I knew from last time, which was nice! One of them introduced me to my coach, who had never met in person before. I take online lessons with him, which have helped me tremendously. He was a super down to earth guy, despite being a big deal in the traditional archery community.

He said he would not offer advice without permission from the shooter, because nit picking isn't fun for anyone, but if I wanted any advice, he would be happy to share. I shot with him for an entire day. It was really cool getting to know him a bit. And I did ask for advice, and he really helped me out.

I am struggling to follow the sequence and timing on my own, now, but if I focus and commit to it, I shoot much better than I do without it.

Also, I shot with a guy who had a Toelke longbow and wooden arrows. That was the quietest set up i have ever heard.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Alright hadn't picked up my bow since my medical stuff a few months ago, but seeing the thread pop up again I had to go fire a few arrows today. It was a perfect day to shoot! 40 arrows and I feel it!

p6a1kh1voyjy.jpg
    oogy9z392mi8.jpg

• Options
    Hell yeah

We're trying to get a mortgage for a house, which has about an acre and a half of land, and I'm very excited. If it works out, I'll have a yard to shoot my bow

And eventually teach my daughter how to ride a bike, and play catch and stuff

Although I'm already scheming about which native plants I can plant instead of maintaining a damn grassy yard

• Options
    Being able to shoot at home is super convenient!

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Arise! I got a call from the pro-shop this week. they were spring cleaning and found a bundle of arrows with my name on it. I completely forgot I ordered them last year when my health stuff started and just never picked them up. Ran down and picked them up today, along with getting a carrying case for my red target bow and getting the cable slide installed, so now I can work on shooting it as soon as we get some nice weather!

webguy20 on
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    That's great!

I've been shooting for a few hours a week.

I said goodbye to my longbow, because I didn't like the grip. I wasn't confident enough in my sanding skills to sand an $700 bow.

I traded it for a metal ILF riser with Hoyt Velos recurve limbs. It was a very nice set up, but I didn't really enjoy the metal riser, despite it's practical nature and all

I sold that bow last week, and just bought a 50-some year old recurve. I've been looking for one these for a while.

lo1t5rcx3133.png

It should arrive by the end of the week. It's the same poundage draw weight as my previous bows, so I should be able to use the same arrows.

Just looking at pictures and knowing how grips were designed back then, I'll probably want to sand it down. I'm less nervous about sanding a $220 bow than I was about a $700 one.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Been shooting about a year now, slowly went from 28 lbs to start to about 39.5 lbs now.

I totally get what you mean about the grip, and I think that's one thing I like about an ILF platform riser -- if you can't get comfortable with a given component, no matter how much you fiddle with it, you can just swap to an alternative option.

I have small hands, and without knowing too much about Archery about 2 months in, I decided to change the stock grip I was using to a slimmer 'Low' angle grip, and just bein able to wrap my fingers around the front of the riser changed my confidence with my bow a lot.

• Options
    I don't mean this as an insult, it's entirely personal preference, but I could not make myself fall in love with the metal bow. I have some romantic attachments I guess, to wooden bows

Like I don't want to fuck them or anything like that, but you know, capital R romance, like the obnoxious poets

Archery can be almost anything to anyone and that's no problem at all, I don't even besmirch or scorn crossbows the way many archers do, but I couldn't vibe with the metal Tradtech Titan ILF riser.

• Options
    I just signed up for another online archery coaching program, this one is about tuning your bow and arrows to maximize rapid recovery and efficiency.

I used some of the leftover money from selling my previous bow.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I don't mean this as an insult, it's entirely personal preference, but I could not make myself fall in love with the metal bow. I have some romantic attachments I guess, to wooden bows

Like I don't want to fuck them or anything like that, but you know, capital R romance, like the obnoxious poets

Archery can be almost anything to anyone and that's no problem at all, I don't even besmirch or scorn crossbows the way many archers do, but I couldn't vibe with the metal Tradtech Titan ILF riser.

I get it. The idea of firing a bow with a bunch of pulleys, weights, and sights on it is just gross to me. But whatever everyone enjoys, no big deal to me.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I get it. The idea of firing a bow with a bunch of pulleys, weights, and sights on it is just gross to me. But whatever everyone enjoys, no big deal to me.

On the flipside, it’s fun being able to maintain a roughly 6” group at 150 yards.

• Options
    This course I enrolled in is seriously amazing, it's going to save me much aggravation and money.

I'll share more detailed thoughts on it later, it's focused on setting up your recurve or longbow and it's arrows to be as accurate as you can be, broadly speaking, and tuning your gear within your competency level. That's sort of a revelation to me, instead of chasing a perfect "tune" that's well beyond the capabilities of the majority of archers.

And it's focused on close range shooting and getting the arrow recovered and perpendicular to the target in as short of a distance as possible, while allowing for a margin of error in the shooters form

• Options
    edited March 2023
    My new bow arrived today. It's a Ben Pearson Mustang recurve, model 7170. It was made somewhere.between 1967 and 1970.

The string it came with is very sketchy, so I am ordering a new one. I hope I can find one that ships soon, I want to shoot this thing!

2snmk27wx0e6.jpg

DouglasDanger on