As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Western Animation] Max? More like Min

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Turning Red was fun. I am amused that
    the big emotional climax scene was heralded by a boy band rising from the ashes to sing their pop song :lol:

It's fitting for what's going on in the plot. And on that note, the rampant stupid that has been popping up around the movie has been a real headdesk moment. A bit of advice to white male critics - if you're about to pan a film because it's not aiming to pander to you, just step away from the keyboard and take a long, hard think about how complaining that for once a film isn't pandering to you as a white male and how that makes it bad makes you look.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    A part of me still refuses to believe that the criticisms of the movie based on stuff like claiming 13 year old girls don't draw fan fiction are actually real.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    I'm amused that so many dudes are aghast at Turning Red for acknowledging periods exist.

A friend of mine said he liked it but "I never want to see it again!" I dunno, I want to see it again immediately because the facial expressions were fantastic.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Look at this awful bean mouth. :p

dnvtvi0fefnb.png

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I'm amused that so many dudes are aghast at Turning Red for acknowledging periods exist.

A friend of mine said he liked it but "I never want to see it again!" I dunno, I want to see it again immediately because the facial expressions were fantastic.

I kind of don't really want to see the movie again, after thinking about it a bit more, although not for that dumb reason lol.
    It hit some similar vibes to me that Encanto hit for others, but just so much worse here. Took me a few hours to digest what was bothering me about it though.

Basically, in Turning Red there's just so much screen time given to the super toxic family, and almost nothing is done to redeem them at the end. They get a really undeserved happy ending where I'm not really sure anyone in Mei's family really acknowledged what they did wrong? Or actually apologized?

Whereas in Encanto, I felt like there were actual steps taken at the end to redeem Abuela, the family, and the village.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

I kind of don't really want to see the movie again, after thinking about it a bit more, although not for that dumb reason lol.
    It hit some similar vibes to me that Encanto hit for others, but just so much worse here. Took me a few hours to digest what was bothering me about it though.

Basically, in Turning Red there's just so much screen time given to the super toxic family, and almost nothing is done to redeem them at the end. They get a really undeserved happy ending where I'm not really sure anyone in Mei's family really acknowledged what they did wrong? Or actually apologized?

Whereas in Encanto, I felt like there were actual steps taken at the end to redeem Abuela, the family, and the village.

Yeah, really my only gripe about Encanto was that Abuela got to have near-zero-effort redemption after being being a psychotic monster in her treatment of family. Yeah, it's the end of the third act and we gotta have a happy ending here, but Abuela basically drove one of her grandchildren to insanity and caused him to live in the walls of the house for years because his awesome power got bad PR because people are shit. And then Abuela was working on doing that to another grandkid who committed the incredible mistake of being born without a special power.

Abuela getting to just up and say "sorry!" at the end and they hug it out and everybody just rolls with it was 100% not cool with me. Fine, give her a second chance, but she's gotta earn that shit and prove she's actually changed her outlook and not just changed her mind about one limited shitty old person attitude.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Yeah, really my only gripe about Encanto was that Abuela got to have near-zero-effort redemption after being being a psychotic monster in her treatment of family. Yeah, it's the end of the third act and we gotta have a happy ending here, but Abuela basically drove one of her grandchildren to insanity and caused him to live in the walls of the house for years because his awesome power got bad PR because people are shit. And then Abuela was working on doing that to another grandkid who committed the incredible mistake of being born without a special power.

Abuela getting to just up and say "sorry!" at the end and they hug it out and everybody just rolls with it was 100% not cool with me. Fine, give her a second chance, but she's gotta earn that shit and prove she's actually changed her outlook and not just changed her mind about one limited shitty old person attitude.

I would want to see the Colombian cultural perspective on this (maybe someone here has this background?) before making a judgement. Some cultural perspectives have different ideas on conflict resolution, and it's possible Disney was informed rather than lazy.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Incenjucar wrote: »

I would want to see the Colombian cultural perspective on this (maybe someone here has this background?) before making a judgement. Some cultural perspectives have different ideas on conflict resolution, and it's possible Disney was informed rather than lazy.

Encanto and Turning Red spoilers (my perspective, not a Colombian cultural perspective)
    Abuela experienced consequences (everything she worked for literally fell apart and was destroyed). She had at least some downtime to think about it, she actively sought out Mirabel to apologize, and then her and the family and the town had a months-long montage of working together in a healthy way. I get how that's not enough for some people, but for a movie, that was at least an attempt to make it make sense and be earned, imo.

In Turning Red, none of that really happens. Mei's mom just sort of magically accepts Mei's position in the spirit-forest. I guess it helped her remember her own childhood and that's all that was needed to instantly have a change of heart? The rest of the family also just... instantly agrees that it's OK. And they all move on happily ever after. I don't think "I'm sorry" was ever mentioned.

Also in Turning Red, the entire conflict is with the family. In Encanto, it turns out that all the problems were Abuela/family-originated, but for a while at least it seems like there is some other, underlying problem. For Mei, the antagonist is her mom and grandma, end-of-story. So it's both worse throughout the story, and worse at the resolution.

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    also it kind of feels like encanto pretty strongly suggests that things still aren't perfect, it's going to be an ongoing thing.

It still does crack me up that everything terrible about Bruno was basically everyone else being terrible because they just kept misinterpreting what he was saying.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Apparently there's a new Puss in Boots movie coming. Animation looks a bit different, but then again it's been over a decade since the last one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V_UHz4jxDA

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Incenjucar wrote: »

An article I read basically said Columbian reaction ranged from "This is pretty cool, and accurate" to "This is made for Columbian Americans" to "it is a little polyannaish, so it doesn't depict the real Columbia, but it's better to have something that celebrates our culture than being portrayed as Drug Cartel: The Country for the umpteenth time"

Fencingsax on
    edited March 2022
    So, who here is surprised that Blue Sky got murdered over LGBTQ content:
    Blue Sky Studios, the animation studio behind the "Ice Age" series, was deep in development on its movie "Nimona," based on the graphic novel of the same name by ND Stevenson, when the studio was shut down in February 2021 after 34 years.

Disney had inherited Blue Sky in its 2019 acquisition of the Fox film studio and other assets. Two years into the merger, Disney shuttered Blue Sky, effectively scrapping "Nimona" ahead of a planned January 2022 release.

The movie, Blue Sky staffers told Insider last year, centered on a gender non-conforming main character and featured LGBTQ+ themes rarely seen in animated movies. But some staffers said more recently that some of the concepts faced pushback from Disney.

Yeah, me either. Perhaps letting the numbers guy be in charge was a bad idea.

AngelHedgie on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Disney has been on fire lately with the homophobia. I guess they decided to just go mask off with it.

Local H Jay on
    Disney has been on fire lately with the homophobia. I guess they decided to use go mask off with it.

I think that Chapek is the sort who thinks that he can play all the angles to try to make the most money, not thinking that it will catch up to him. (Iger, for all his faults, at least could see where the wind was blowing.)

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Disney has been on fire lately with the homophobia. I guess they decided to use go mask off with it.

I think that Chapek is the sort who thinks that he can play all the angles to try to make the most money, not thinking that it will catch up to him. (Iger, for all his faults, at least could see where the wind was blowing.)

Chapek feels a lot more like Eisner than Iger which is not a good thing.

Also the big three studios need to be trust busted hard.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    Rip Marvel and Pixar out of their bigoted hands

It's extra frustrating because you know the creators generally lean pretty hard the other way, slipping in representation wherever they can.

Doodmann wrote: »

Chapek feels a lot more like Eisner than Iger which is not a good thing.

Also the big three studios need to be trust busted hard.

Eisner, for all his faults, was an "ideas guy" as well, and did a lot to build Disney into what it is today - for example, he was the one who came up with the "singles" strategy (make solid earning midmajor films, increasing bankability by giving A listers on the outs a final chance (gee, where did we see this strategy pay off massively?))

Chapek is worse than Eisner.

Disney loves to bait the progressive crowd while also sliding money directly into the pockets of fucking assholes to do Literal Evil

I'm thinking of saying arrr me matey for all future marvel viewings, or just skipping them entirely for the time being

Disney loves to bait the progressive crowd while also sliding money directly into the pockets of fucking assholes to do Literal Evil

I'm thinking of saying arrr me matey for all future marvel viewings, or just skipping them entirely for the time being

I've pretty much just been boycotting Disney everything for some years. It can be frustrating but it does let you pivot toward indie and small studio stuff.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    A progressive multi-billion dollar corporation may be on the face of it an oxymoron, but as much as such a thing can be said to exist... Disney ain't it. Never has been.

Well, it's a start, I guess:
    According to a source close to the production, Pixar’s next feature film, “Lightyear” — starring Chris Evans as the putative real-life inspiration for the “Toy Story” character Buzz Lightyear — does feature a significant female character, Hawthorne (voiced by Uzo Aduba), who is in a meaningful relationship with another woman. While the fact of that relationship was never in question at the studio, a kiss between the characters had been cut from the film. Following the uproar surrounding the Pixar employees’ statement and Disney CEO Bob Chapek’s handling of the “Don’t Say Gay” bill, however, the kiss was reinstated into the movie last week.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    And it can be easily cut from the release in foreign markets where that is no bueno.

It's frustrating because you can tell Pixar wants to tell these kinds of stories but the not so invisible hand of the mouse is holding them back

It's frustrating because you can tell Pixar wants to tell these kinds of stories but the not so invisible hand of the mouse is holding them back

I'm 95% sure Turning Red meant to have at least a little something between Priya and that goth girl she briefly shared a scene with, but I don't think there's been any confirmation.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I've been watching the recent DC cartoon movies on HBOMax. They've been going hard on the Elseworlds stuff.

Justice Society is WWII action. Not bad, not amazing.

Injustice is... well Injustice. I didn't play the game but even I could see the "Round 1: Fight" over the match-ups. Kind of rushing to make the plot work leads to bad pacing. And Harley Quinn is there for some reason. I did like that they addressed the "Earth-1" paradox by suggesting that
    every reality thinks they're Earth-1.

And now on Batman: Soul of the Dragon, which is hilariously 70s with Mark Dacascos playing Bruce Lee playing Richard Dragon, Bruce Wayne's fellow student at Nanda Parbat. Michael Jai White playing Jim Kelly playing Bronze Tiger is pretty inspired. Also more Kelly Hu as Lady Shiva is always welcome. I'm only 20 minutes in, but I can already tell that this will be the best of the three. Plus they fight
    Kobra.

Saw the Cuphead show. It's... fine? I guess? I adored the game but something about the series is leaving me cold. I think it's because everyone talks way, WAY too much.

Pretty cool thread from Michael Rianda, director of The Mitchells vs. The Machines, on how Lord and Miller kept encouraging him and his team to do little things to make the movie better.

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    I did like that they addressed the "Earth-1" paradox by suggesting that

Pfft, primitive realities that don't know about SMC.

xzq1etsgvky5.png

I did like that they addressed the "Earth-1" paradox by suggesting that

Pfft, primitive realities that don't know about SMC.

xzq1etsgvky5.png

Okay but what about Daylight Savings Monitor Classification.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Close Enough season 3 drops April 7!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oStwy4-yIEQ

• TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    Josh's Halloween costume is the most terrifying thing in that trailer.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Loved the Jubilee one.

H9f4bVe.png
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    wait, HBO Max? I thought this was a Netflix thing

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Speaking of HBO Max, apparently the entire season 2 of Jellystone dropped two weeks ago and I'm very disappointed that I only just now learned of this.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Amphibia is back!

Owl House too, I guess.

But mostly Amphibia!

H9f4bVe.png
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Amphibia is back!

Owl House too, I guess.

But mostly Amphibia!

Just on Disney Channel, not on Disney+ yet, right?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Second half of Young Justice season 4 starts today, with three new episodes. New arc is Kaldur'ahm's.

Ivan Hunger on
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Couscous wrote: »
    A part of me still refuses to believe that the criticisms of the movie based on stuff like claiming 13 year old girls don't draw fan fiction are actually real.

Whenever I hear a "Kids never do anything that horrible/adult/nerdy at that age!" I just flash back to 4rd grade and the class explaining South Park to the PE teacher and why everyone way making jokes about why my fellow classmate Kenny was going to die again today.

Can still recall the grin on his face when he said, "And I die every episode!"

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Season 3 of Close Enough is out. I just watched the first episode and learned there's an island off the coast off California with a shit ton on bison on it.

EDIT: The Halloween episode has a pretty neat ending. RIP Payton.

Hexmage-PA on