As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] Thread: Totes!

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Von Miller signs with Buffalo for an assload of money. (6yr/$120m, $51.5m guaranteed)

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Von Miller signs with Buffalo for an assload of money. (6yr/$120m, $51.5m guaranteed)

Took a California vacation, took his talent to the bank.

Hope he does well, and makes the people who wrote him off as the trade being a great deal for the Broncos look like tools.

I remember quite a few talking heads saying he was done.

Still does weird me out though that a modest discrepancy in talent translate to a massively disproportionate salary.

I'm all for players getting paid, but how's Andre Smith (Bills #2 now #3 OLB) feeling? He's earning 1/15th of what Miller is, despite putting in likely a similar amount of time and effort.

I don't mind better players getting more, talent and work should be rewarded. But it definitely feels skewed as to by how much difference there is.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    I'm all for players getting paid, but how's Andre Smith (Bills #2 now #3 OLB) feeling? He's earning 1/15th of what Miller is, despite putting in likely a similar amount of time and effort.

I don't mind better players getting more, talent and work should be rewarded. But it definitely feels skewed as to by how much difference there is.

Clearly playing in Buffalo does not help with one's marketability. Von who?

• pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Andre Smith is a backup will and has not recorded a sack in his career. He’s probably not expecting to get paid anywhere near a walk-in hall of famer.

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Clearly playing in Buffalo does not help with one's marketability. Von who?
    I’m sorry super bowl mvp Von Miller doesn’t rise to your level of name recognition.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    he is a superbowl mvp
    as a defensive player
    in a game that peyton manning, emmanuel sanders and demaryius thomas played in
    like how is there any comparison

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    6 years is a lot of years for a non-QB at his age

Good for him

Also good for Buffalo to be a place that’s relevant and willing to pay

Captain Inertia on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I can assure everyone, as someone who can lean back, look out a window, and see Buffalo City Hall

Buffalo can and will find a way to go 0-17.

They have the power to do this. I earnestly wish they do NOT engage this power, that it lays dormant, forgotten.

But it is always important to remember that they CAN.

• RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    Good for Von Miller. Buffalo has to know what they're doing with that contract for a 33 year old OLB, right?

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    idk, if I was a Buffalo fan, I'm not sure how I'd feel about this. Miller looked done for the last couple years. Then he moves to a superbowl champ and looks great. Was it the change in situation to a competitor that reinvigorated him? Or was it playing next to a once in a generation player in Aaron Donald? 6 years is a really long time for that gamble. I'd feel a lot better if it was 2 or 3 years (maybe that's how it really breaks down).

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    The expected realiaticl ength of the contract is expected to be three years. Then they'll renegotiate or cut him for being too old and slow.

Hard to keep up that same intensity/drive when you've won two rings and just got another huge payday. But that doesn't affect everyone the same way.

Knowing what I know about Mahomes/KC, defenses are going to play Allen differently if they already weren't before. Our lack of a quality WR2 really hurt us since they started playing safeties deep to eliminate the big plays and doubleteaming our TE. I know edge rushers are important, but so is giving your stud QB talent to catch the ball. Not sure a 33 year old edge rusher is the missing piece.

• XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    I can assure everyone, as someone who can lean back, look out a window, and see Buffalo City Hall

They have the power to do this. I earnestly wish they do NOT engage this power, that it lays dormant, forgotten.

I don't see how that's possible when they can CIRCLE THE WAGONS like nobody else can! :tongue:

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Mina Kimes is a treasure.

1) Washington really didn't consider how things would play out.

2) I will laugh myself to death when Heinke beats Wentz for QB1.

3)Fan Duel? Associated with the NFL? Well I never!

Presumably Wentz was on their list of 44 QBs under consideration but we honestly can’t know for sure if 44 is wide enough to pull him in

"ESPN’s Chris Mortensen says Baker Mayfield and the Browns are breaking up because the Browns want an “adult” at QB"
    Tweet Rando but clip of Mortensen.

"The #Browns have been informed they’re out of the running for Deshaun Watson, a source says. The team still views Baker Mayfield as their quarterback going forward. They told Mayfield’s agents at the Combine they’d only explore top-tier QBs such as Watson."
    Tweet Garafolo

Now THAT's the Browns shooting-themselves-in-the-dick I'm used to. The last couple years of quiet competence have been strange.

'We don't think Baker Mayfield is adult enough. Deshaun Watson, on the other hand...'

• marajimaraji Registered User regular

Not if they have Cleveland on their schedule, I fear. The lose is strong with us.

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    maraji wrote: »

Not if they have Cleveland on their schedule, I fear. The lose is strong with us.

You cannot beat Buffalo at a lose-off

They are simply the best there is. At being the worst.

We talkin BrownsBills?

Let me fire up the JP Losman soup

• pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    The memes are all well and good but it wouldn’t surprise me if Buffalo got the 1 seed in the afc this year, the west being what it is

Makes me think of this:
    https://youtu.be/Vpr_KaaRjW0

When they were picking the team to feature in Draft Day, they wanted the loseriest one. Buffalo is so bad they couldn't even manage that.

The memes are all well and good but it wouldn’t surprise me if Buffalo got the 1 seed in the afc this year, the west being what it is

Right where Mac wants them

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Its kind of wild that anyone would want to get rid of Baker Mayfield right now, he has some of the best commercials on TV and even if he isn't the best QB in the game is he both a) good enough and b) marketable as shit

wbBv3fj.png
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    The team with the most commercials wins, it’s true.

can you feel the struggle within?
    edited March 2022

I can't believe this conversation is happening, when the Bills have the fucking JETS in their own division, and the Giants in the state (yeah yeah New Jersey).

A lot of other joke teams have pulled themselves out of perennial bottomscrapers (Titans, Jaguars, Texans, etc). But not the Jets.

I get setting yourself up for disappointment, but you came within arguably a coinflip of making the AFC Championship last year, made it the year before, still have fundamentally the same team you had then, and now suggesting you could be the worst team in the league?

That's some dark fucking thoughts on the franchise.

MorganV on
  • marajimaraji Registered User regular

No, they’re the best at giving you real, legitimate hope, then losing.

They do over a season what the Browns do nearly every week.

I've never quite understood the sports fan's idea that winning a shitload but ultimately losing deep in the playoffs is some kind of special misery. Lots of very good teams do that every season! Only one team gets to win the championship every year! It's really hard!

No, they’re the best at giving you real, legitimate hope, then losing.

They do over a season what the Browns do nearly every week.

I feel like the Chargers have to be in that conversation, over the past two decades or so.

Because by not winning the last game, you are --functionally-- a loser.

Sports does things to a person's mindset.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Six wrote: »

I mean, yes. It’s the money that matters to the owners after all.

But mayfield is still cheap(?) and both a draw and decent enough to build a team around. Unless you could get a full top tier QB you should have no reason to be searching and should instead be building up the things that make your QB good, like an O line to protect them and a defense to give them good field position.

Edit: but it’s the browns and they’re going to browns it up so instead of keeping a likable and good enough QB and building a team around him because even Stafford can win an Owl with a good team around him they’re looking for that silver bullet that will solve all their problems in one swoop*

*ignoring that one of the reasons why a good QB draftee is such a silver bullet is that their rookie contract allows you do load up on other positions which you otherwise could not afford.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    In other Bills news they cut noted anti vaxxer Cole Beasley in a “salary cap” move

Don’t let the door hit yer ass on the way out

jmcdonald on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    jmcdonald wrote: »
    In other Bills news they cut noted anti vaxxer Cole Beasley in a “salary cap” move

The best part of this story is that they couldn't find anyone who would trade for him. Of course, someone'll sign him for cheaper, but his stock certainly isn't worth picks anymore.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    jmcdonald wrote: »

The best part of this story is that they couldn't find anyone who would trade for him. Of course, someone'll sign him for cheaper, but his stock certainly isn't worth picks anymore.

You love to see it. May he slip and fall on his anti-vaxx dick wherever he lands.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Six wrote: »

I mean, yes. It’s the money that matters to the owners after all.

But mayfield is still cheap(?) and both a draw and decent enough to build a team around. Unless you could get a full top tier QB you should have no reason to be searching and should instead be building up the things that make your QB good, like an O line to protect them and a defense to give them good field position.

Edit: but it’s the browns and they’re going to browns it up so instead of keeping a likable and good enough QB and building a team around him because even Stafford can win an Owl with a good team around him they’re looking for that silver bullet that will solve all their problems in one swoop*

*ignoring that one of the reasons why a good QB draftee is such a silver bullet is that their rookie contract allows you do load up on other positions which you otherwise could not afford.

I think Browns fans are completely over him even though he’s probably third already in all-time wins as Browns QB

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Bills have a great team. Good offense and a decent defense. They can use some talent on the line and definitely some depth in the wide receiver space. But i think they are a favorite to go deep in the playoffs again.

• GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Breaking: Davante Adams has been traded to the Raiders, per @RapSheet
    Whomp whomp. Hope getting paid was worth it, A-a-ron.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg