As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hearthstone] Wizzing Toys for Everyone

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Messing around with shadow priest because allegedly it beats ramp druid but now it fucking doesn't because they all run double feral rage and moontouched amulet on top of solar cenarion ward

Absolute horse shit

e: folds to beast druid as well like it's not even close, they have a stranglehold on the board and endless refill

ee: i'm not even sure what this deck does beat, i'm 0-9 and i consider myself a fairly decent player most of the time

Beasteh on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    It's being teased on twitter that OG Reno might be in next year's core set and I think that would be the worst possible thing in the world

liEt3nH.png
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    It's being teased on twitter that OG Reno might be in next year's core set and I think that would be the worst possible thing in the world

Did they learn fucking nothing from Genn/Baku warping the fucking meta tenfold

They had to be banned in Standard before they rotated!!!!

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    In fairness you at least have to draw Reno. So that's very skill testing.

The thing about Reno specifically is it being a full heal. I don't have a problem with like, Zephrys for example. Interesting card. And importantly, not dependent on being drawn at a certain point in the game. Reno has the same problem as someone like Prince Keleseth, just disguised by being reactive instead of proactive. And like, even if Reno decks are not a meaningful part of the meta, I think that fundamentally makes the play experience of a match worse. Aggro versus Reno matchups for example are basically both players just sitting there going "Did you get him turn 6?"

And sure, to a certain degree, many decks and matchups are just "Hey did you hit your key card at the right time". It's a spectrum that you play with as a game designer, you push and you pull, and sometimes you miss the mark. And what's great about missing the mark is that you know that if you aim for that spot you miss the mark and you should stop aiming there.

Anyway we'll see. Maybe they're just fucking around and it's a completely different Reno. But boy. The match experience of that guy is just awful.

liEt3nH.png
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    If they do put any Highlander cards into core, then presumably there will be new Highlander cards in sets this year. We had a one year break from Highlander in Standard over the last year. I wouldn't mind a longer break but Blizzard doesn't seem to like going too long without Highlander cards being a thing.

forty on
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    If they put Reno back in, I want something else added that can counter. Otherwise, yeah, that is going to annoy.

Like, they just put in all these 'play X, have Y happen for three turns' so add in some spell that blocks Battlecries and Deathrattles from firing for the same amount of time.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Combo is an effective highlander counter. Can't heal if you're dead in one turn

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Reno has been dead in Wild since they added the UiS quests. I wouldn't mind him seeing play again, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he was too weak for Standard as well.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    Yilias wrote: »
    Reno has been dead in Wild since they added the UiS quests.
    But is that because Highlander decks in general are dead in Wild? Or are you saying there are Highlander decks that skip Reno?

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Highlander as an archetype is dead.

Reno Priest is obsoleted by multiple other combo decks like Quest Hunter, Mecha'thunlock, and Inner Fire Priest.

Renolock evolved into Even Renolock and then further into pure Evenlock with the addition of cards such as Anetheron, Goldshire Gnoll, and Battlemaster. The increased consistency in cheating out big boys with windfury and just killing your opponent proved more valuable than stalling.

Non-highlander decks that occasionally ran Reno as a tech card such as Mecha'thunlock or Shudderwock no longer do so in favor of other tech cards.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    reno being bad now is why i focused on how i feel the play pattern is bad B)

liEt3nH.png
    Yilias wrote: »
    Highlander as an archetype is dead.

Reno Priest is obsoleted by multiple other combo decks like Quest Hunter, Mecha'thunlock, and Inner Fire Priest.

Renolock evolved into Even Renolock and then further into pure Evenlock with the addition of cards such as Anetheron, Goldshire Gnoll, and Battlemaster. The increased consistency in cheating out big boys with windfury and just killing your opponent proved more valuable than stalling.

Non-highlander decks that occasionally ran Reno as a tech card such as Mecha'thunlock or Shudderwock no longer do so in favor of other tech cards.
    OK, but that's the Wild fuckfest. Highlander could easily be solid again in a rotated Standard.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    whew the powerlevel sure has spiraled out of control in the last two years, huh

mage can trivially get a 4 damage hero power (and they nerfed shadowform so it can't do that anymore lmfao), DH has gotten an absurd burn finisher in that 7 mana legendary, that recycle rez spell for priest is absurd, the increased damage priest 1 drop is probably the best 1 drop ever printed

and I haven't even come across the ramp druid that's apparently broken!

edit oh jesus and draw 3 rush divine shield taunt varian. what in the world

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    expansion got leaked through google play
    sunken city, we spelunking in nazjatar

and importantly
    the preorder skin is AGAIN mage

liEt3nH.png
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    whew the powerlevel sure has spiraled out of control in the last two years, huh

mage can trivially get a 4 damage hero power (and they nerfed shadowform so it can't do that anymore lmfao), DH has gotten an absurd burn finisher in that 7 mana legendary, that recycle rez spell for priest is absurd, the increased damage priest 1 drop is probably the best 1 drop ever printed

and I haven't even come across the ramp druid that's apparently broken!

edit oh jesus and draw 3 rush divine shield taunt varian. what in the world

they powercrept the fuck outta battlegrounds too and now that shit is super fuckin whack

bummer

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
    Beasteh wrote: »
    expansion got leaked through google play
    sunken city, we spelunking in nazjatar
    Time for a bunch of new Tribeless Naga cards??

Wonderful. Finally got the useful but didn't want to craft Bulwark of Azzinoth in my Brawl pack, a couple weeks before it rotates. Thanks, Blizzard!

Killed a Libram Paladin on turn 5 with good ol' Zoolock and got a friend request afterward. It's a shame my friends list is full because I'm sure they wanted to congratulate me on my incredible victory.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »
    If they put Reno back in, I want something else added that can counter. Otherwise, yeah, that is going to annoy.

Like, they just put in all these 'play X, have Y happen for three turns' so add in some spell that blocks Battlecries and Deathrattles from firing for the same amount of time.

A Mage secret that was “the next time your opponent would heal, they take that much damage instead” and a Rogue secret of “the next time your opponent would heal, you gain that health instead” would be lovely.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    edited March 2022
    Not sure when the trailer is going up but articles are starting to trickle in. I'll spoiler it just for now for people who want to have it explained by the video when it goes up, and I'll wait for official cards on the website before posting the exact text.

First keyword: Colossal
    These are minions who are so big that they summon a second minion when they are played (or summoned) which interacts with the first in some way. Example: A big turtle who summons his shell as a second minion, and he is Immune as long as the shell is alive.

Second keyword: Dredge.
    This is an action keyword, like Battlecry. This keyword, in order to restart all the arguments about Tracking, has you look at the bottom 3 cards of your deck and choose one to put on the top of your deck. Now, specifically, they are going to be including cards that put cards at the bottom of your deck in order to work with this keyword, but as someone who understands what a randomized deck is, I feel sad.

New minion type: Naga
    Naga are a spell-focused creature type which usually have an effect when played if, while they were in your hand, you played a spell.

April 12 launch

https://youtu.be/PfmUdCsr1nw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmWia8Wndpg

https://playhearthstone.com/en-us/news/23765277/announcing-voyage-to-the-sunken-city-hearthstone-s-next-expansion

https://playhearthstone.com/en-us/cards?set=voyage-to-the-sunken-city

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
    edited March 2022
    :open_mouth:

First tribe that has ever been added to traditional Hearthstone since the beta nearly 9 years ago.

Edit: I was mistaken.

forty on
    https://youtu.be/IabxyG_yvL8

Oh that's neat, they put out a version of the trailer with descriptive audio for disabled folks!

liEt3nH.png
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Without knowing the Core adjustments, it's going to be impossible to judge how good these reveals are. That said:

vih7qadbzu6f.png

This is fun design!

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
    On that note, for those who didn't read the newspost, the core reveals also aren't happening until after the set reveals.

liEt3nH.png
    forty wrote: »
    :open_mouth:

First tribe that has ever been added to traditional Hearthstone since the beta nearly 9 years ago.

Elemental, Mech, Quillboar, and "All" were all added in expansions

liEt3nH.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Elemental was added in Un’goro too

YL9WnCY.png
    Sterica wrote: »
    Elemental was added in Un’goro too

Yes that's why I started with it :P

liEt3nH.png
    Too bad Sphere of Sapience is rotating. Gonna miss out on that ultimate Dredge indecisiveness synergy. "Ew I don't want to draw that, put it on the bottom. Wait, I want it back! Never mind, I changed my mind again."

OK, I brain farted on the Tribes thing, but I know I've got this pants shitting moment right:

81bgjr787zn81.png?auto=webp&s=3e8210e2370fab1bf169758313c70c855061fc2d

This is the first Counter keyword card they've added since the beta. Counterspell finally no longer has a unique keyword!

Being able to Counter a minion is interesting. Definitely a card that would be annoying to deal with if you're behind on board, but it's a little hard to envision this seeing much play. It's not much of a threat on its own and in a lot of situations/matchups is just going to get killed without getting value. I could see board centric decks giving it a shot as a form of stall/insurance against removal spells, but eh, not sure it will do the job all that well in the average case.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    What does Secretly mean there?

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

You'll do a choose one but the opponent won't know what you chose until you play something, I'd assume.

I suppose it's possible it will physically put a secret onto the battlefield that can be interacted with? But that'd be odd

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    emnmnme wrote: »

You'll do a choose one but the opponent won't know what you chose until you play something, I'd assume.

I suppose it's possible it will physically put a secret onto the battlefield that can be interacted with? But that'd be odd

No it's all on the card. Secretly just means that your opponent doesn't know which one. Like Fatespinner

o31fcco2oey7.png

liEt3nH.png
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    OK, I brain farted on the Tribes thing, but I know I've got this pants shitting moment right:

81bgjr787zn81.png?auto=webp&s=3e8210e2370fab1bf169758313c70c855061fc2d

This is the first Counter keyword card they've added since the beta. Counterspell finally no longer has a unique keyword!

Being able to Counter a minion is interesting. Definitely a card that would be annoying to deal with if you're behind on board, but it's a little hard to envision this seeing much play. It's not much of a threat on its own and in a lot of situations/matchups is just going to get killed without getting value. I could see board centric decks giving it a shot as a form of stall/insurance against removal spells, but eh, not sure it will do the job all that well in the average case.

There are typically far too many cheap spells for counterspell to be worth it and a 4 mana 2/6 is pretty terrible

However minion countering can be pretty bad news for low minion decks, depending on ordering. Does it counter a minion before or after it's battlecry?

It's a full counter - the minion neither enters play, nor is killed, so there are no battlecries or deathrattles

Because it's the free legendary, everyone is just jamming it to try and counter Kazuksan in Druid, since they don't have any other creatures

liEt3nH.png
    Armor is back in BGs.

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Armor is back in BGs.

Also a new hero (bad) and some minion changes (good-ish?)

Tidehunter (Token Murloc at tier 1) was replaced with a 1/4 that grows in attack, which is kinda good.

Baby Krush is a new beast at 5, and It's interesting, because it works a bit like spitty dragon in countering divine shields.
    EXK0LI5WMWII1646701099297.png

Maexxna was removed, which is huge for endgame builds whenever beasts are in.

Looking back a couple months ago...
    Seeing quite a bit of druid on the high level Twitch streams. I think there's a fair chance it'll be Druidstone again after the patch.
    Got that right, it turned out. Still 3.5 more weeks until rotation.